PDA

View Full Version : When Planing a system

Chuck Sinclair
02-20-2002, 04:16 PM
I met a local landscaper that does a soil test as part of his site survey for each irrigation system estimate, he says by putting the probe in the ground it gives him an idea how hard the ground is and the soil type and what it may be in need of. anyone else do this?

HBFOXJr
02-20-2002, 08:51 PM
If I don't know the area I check. Around here we have everything from the coursest sand to the stiffest clay. Both can be found with gravel in them. WE have no serious rock except for there are 2 areas where we've run into big chunks and slabs of sandstone in other wise decent soil.

Lance Takara
02-21-2002, 05:15 AM
Are you referring to a soil composition test to determine difficulty of trenching or possibly to determine water infiltration rate or ?

HBFOXJr
02-21-2002, 09:46 AM
I'm interested in the digging/installation difficulty. The watering part can be managed via scheduling.

Lance Takara
02-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Harold,

Just thinking out loud . . .

I assume you are referring to cycling run times. Have you run into any situations where cycling run times did not remedy an infiltration problem? Maybe on a large job where there was a tight watering window? Maybe on a slope? Just curious.

HBFOXJr
02-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Even our tight soils when well vegetated seldom pose an infiltration problem. We're not in a hilly area so slopes are not of much consequence either.

Establishing turf from scratch or a renovation is another matter and then cycling is important so as to avoid runoff, erosion and puddling.

Silver Bullet
03-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Most of the time for irrigation you take a soil sample to determine how much the soil can absorb in a period of one hour. A property that has clay for a soil base might only be able to absorb.2 of inch in an hour, where a good soil base might be able to absorb .75 inch in an hour.