PDA

View Full Version : Failed crank on billy goat repl. Engine

jkaroleski
12-10-2008, 02:52 PM
While using TKD512 SP for seasonal cleanup the impeller sheared off the crankshaft on my recently replaced by dealer BRIGGS engine. Dealer says BRIGGS won't cover because BILLY GOAT spec'd replacement engine, also says that BILLY GOAT won't cooperate. Now I'm faced with a leaf vac.that has approx. 2 1/2 seasons on it orig. cost $1200.00 + accessories and then a replacement engine @ $440.00 last fall, now dealer states $850.00 +/_ for repair due to impeller let go at 3000 rpm did a number on housing,impeller etc.
and to top it off he's not comfortable doing it because it could happen again potentially injuring myself. Apparently the crankshaft on the replacement BRIGGS engine is tapered and not the same as the original engine crankshaft.
Here's the deal I am just a homeowner not a landscape professional with a couple dozen trees on my property this was a luxury purchase, In the last 4 seasons of possible use I got to use it for 2 full seasons, this is totally unacceptable and for the manufactures of this product/components to not take ownership for decisions that could cause injury to the operator of this equipment is an act of corporate negligence.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
12-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Check your voice mail. Our customer service was already working on this.

jkaroleski
12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks, I received 2 phone messages yesterday, first message from BILLY GOAT notifying me that unit was being repaired by my dealer T & S MOWER, at no cost to me. The second call was from dealer informing me that unit was repaired and ready for pick up. Fantastic now I get to wait 9 to 10 months to see if this thing is going to make it through a fall cleanup season.
I'm not sure how I feel about the "REPAIR" of this thing, in 4 years It's been in the shop more than on my lawn. Time will tell if thing will hold up, keeping in mind I may actually use for 30 to 40 hrs. a year.

12-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry for the troubles you've had but I'm a little confused. Your first E-mail talked about how unhappy you were and how you weren't being treated fairly and this was going to cost you all of this money. Then it turns out your problem was handled quickly and at no cost to you.

Your response?

"Fantastic now I get to wait 9 to 10 months to see if this thing is going to make it through a fall cleanup season.
I'm not sure how I feel about the "REPAIR" of this thing, in 4 years It's been in the shop more than on my lawn."

Instead of enjoying having a problem completely taken care of by dealer, distributor, and manufacturer, lemonaide is turned back into a lemon. If a customer is not going to be happy no matter what is done or them why should anyone go the extra mile for them?

Billy Goat has a one year warranty on our products. You have a 2 1/2 year old product. Everyone involved could have in good faith walked away from this problem as the unit was out of warranty. I am sorry for your troubles but please remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

jkaroleski
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
You are right, I am sorry for my bitter response to the problem being taken care of. It's just that I am still a little physically sore due to having to rake and bag leaves the last two seasons while my lemon was being worked on.
You are incorrect that everyone could have walked away from this situation because "out of warranty" your replacement engine and crank had no more than 20 hours on it, picked up from dealer on DEC. 22nd 2007. A little late in the season for leaf removal in this part of country.

[I]QUOTE]Billy Goat has a one year warranty on our products. You have a 2 1/2 year old product. Everyone involved could have in good faith walked away from this problem as the unit was out of warranty. I am sorry for your troubles but please remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Or since It's a BRIGGS engine It's not your product?

All I am saying is put yourself in my shoes, how would you respond to being told your lawn vac. is pretty much totaled because the hefty impeller broke free while doing 3000rpm's in the housing obviously doing a little more than scraping some paint. To getting a call stating everything is fixed come and get it (no charge). Kind of makes you wonder.

Look the relationship I have with this dealer is at a level where if the problem was something I did they would tell me "you screwed up", that's not at all the case here. Actually it would enrage me to find out that (T&S MOWER) would have absorbed any cost associated with this fix. They have been outstanding in every possible way.

12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Again I am sorry for your difficulties. However, everyone involved absorbed a loss to ensure you stayed happy, or as close as possible. When your tires go bad on your car where do you go, car dealership or tire dealership? The tires are on the car why not take it to the car dealer? Tires have independent warranties from the cars they are installed on.

It's an identical relationship here. Engines carry completely separate warranties from the products they are installed on. We as a manufacturer must get the respective engine manufacturer's approval to use their engine before we can begin manufacturing of any product that is powered by that respective engine manufacturer's engine. Once that's done the two products stand completely independent. What honestly irks me is the fact that everyone took a hit to take care of an engine problem that was well out of warranty and yet the complaints continue.

The next time you purchase a piece of lawn equipment you may want to consider a different engine on whatever you buy as you will be incredibly hard pressed to find anyone who will honor anything that is past it's warranty muchless even respond to your complaints.

In short a simple "Thank you" will suffice.

jkaroleski
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
That's a good analogy,but I'm not sure the FORD MOTOR COMPANY feels that way. If I'm not mistaken they specified and installed FIRESTONE tires on a few FORD EXPLORERS, not sure that situation worked to there advantage.
I think the way it's supposed to work is,the company that puts there name on the final product has the responsability to make sure that the components used to create the final product, represent them the best possible way they can.Unfortunately in this day those companies are few, It's all about bottom line.
As for everyone taking "a hit" you honestly believe that?
The only people that took "a hit" were T&S MOWER, and myself.
T&S did there due diligence and made calls to both BRIGGS and BILLY GOAT on this problem to no avail, it wasn't until my letter fell in the right hands that anything was done. Look T&S MOWER may not be a mega dealer for you but believe me they do a damn fine job of representing your product!
For them to absorb the labor on repair is in my opinion wrong. As for my portion of the "hit" I have been getting used to doing my leaves with a rake,
and I get to see the good people at T&S MOWER during the holiday season at least for the last 2 years.
To be completely honest with you I figured I was screwed and that neither BRIGGS or BILLY GOAT would do anything for me, and I would sad to say be back in the market for another lawn vac. and in spite of all of this I would have more than likely purchased another BILLY GOAT from T&S MOWER and prayed real hard that I got a good one, or maybe better luck. Because when it comes down to it I do believe that BILLY GOAT does make a good product.

12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Bottom line Briggs refused warranty as it was beyond the time period. Billy Goat and the Distributor ponied up the money for the parts and T&S covered the labor. Money came out of Billy Goat to cover costs for customer goodwill as this was a replacement engine from an apparent previous failure (no or low oil?). Since I am one of the owners of Billy Goat some of the money for this repair came out of my pocket.

I understand your frustration but please direct it towards the manufacturer of the engine as their warranty is completely separate from ours. Honda, Kohler, Subaru, Kawasaki, LCT and very other engine manufacture has separate engine warranties as well. Remember this if you want the next time you purchase another piece of lawn equipment.

lawnman_scott
12-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Again I am sorry for your difficulties. However, everyone involved absorbed a loss to ensure you stayed happy, or as close as possible. When your tires go bad on your car where do you go, car dealership or tire dealership? The tires are on the car why not take it to the car dealer? Tires have independent warranties from the cars they are installed on.

It's an identical relationship here. Engines carry completely separate warranties from the products they are installed on. We as a manufacturer must get the respective engine manufacturer's approval to use their engine before we can begin manufacturing of any product that is powered by that respective engine manufacturer's engine. Once that's done the two products stand completely independent. What honestly irks me is the fact that everyone took a hit to take care of an engine problem that was well out of warranty and yet the complaints continue.

The next time you purchase a piece of lawn equipment you may want to consider a different engine on whatever you buy as you will be incredibly hard pressed to find anyone who will honor anything that is past it's warranty muchless even respond to your complaints.

In short a simple "Thank you" will suffice.This guy has 4 posts so he just signed up to complain. If it was me I would be thanking you non-stop to the point of gushing.

jkaroleski
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
You are correct lawnboy Scott,
I could have rambled on about how great my STIHL string trimmer works or how far my STIHL backpack blower can blow an acorn or even how spectacular my lawn looks after installing a freshly sharpened set of GATOR blades.
What you need to understand is that all of the above implements work the way they are supposed to, they start, run and perform like the manufacturer intended them to.The reason I signed up and "COMPLAINED" was for 2 reasons #1 As instructed I had already sent a letter to THE BILLY GOAT CO.and after 3 weeks no reply (maybe the dealer should have notified me?)
#2 At the point I signed up and "COMPLAINED" I had no knowledge of anything being done for my problem, and remember a wise man once said the internet is a powerful tool.
Look put yourself in my shoes, buy a tool you intend to use to save yourself time & energy, then when you need it the most no go, not once but twice.
Read my "COMPLAINT" I am not a lawn care professional, I don't make a living with this tool,I don't purchase things like this every year, I don't have a spare. If you bought a car,truck or mower and had these issues what would YOU do?

lawnman_scott
12-23-2008, 07:28 PM
You are correct lawnboy Scott,
I could have rambled on about how great my STIHL string trimmer works or how far my STIHL backpack blower can blow an acorn or even how spectacular my lawn looks after installing a freshly sharpened set of GATOR blades.
What you need to understand is that all of the above implements work the way they are supposed to, they start, run and perform like the manufacturer intended them to.The reason I signed up and "COMPLAINED" was for 2 reasons #1 As instructed I had already sent a letter to THE BILLY GOAT CO.and after 3 weeks no reply (maybe the dealer should have notified me?)
#2 At the point I signed up and "COMPLAINED" I had no knowledge of anything being done for my problem, and remember a wise man once said the internet is a powerful tool.
Look put yourself in my shoes, buy a tool you intend to use to save yourself time & energy, then when you need it the most no go, not once but twice.
Read my "COMPLAINT" I am not a lawn care professional, I don't make a living with this tool,I don't purchase things like this every year, I don't have a spare. If you bought a car,truck or mower and had these issues what would YOU do?
Clever, you call me lawnboy to get me mad. Im not 11 though. But how old is this machine again? end of story.

Kickin Your Grass
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Why did Billy Goat pay for this guy a new engine out of warranty anyways? I paid well over 3 grand for my VQ1002SP and some accessories and when my crappy 10hp Briggs engine blew, I had to replace it out of my own pocket. I upgraded to a 13hp Honda and it cost me almost $900! I think it's unfair and pure crap that this guy is catered to and he doesn't even spend half the money the rest of us spend and 3 grand is cheap compared to what some of these guys spend on Billy Goat products!

jkaroleski
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM
ALLEN,
Read the entire post,
First I paid out of my pocket for the replacement Briggs engine.
I picked it up on DEC. 22nd. 2007,(at this time of the year here the leaves are either covered in snow or hand removed) and did not use until late SEPT. 2008 after a handful uses the crankshaft sheared off allowing the impeller and the remaining portion of crankshaft to spin freely within the housing.
Yes the repair of THIS problem was covered by BILLY GOAT-(parts) new impeller,crank and top plate, and the labor was taken care of by my dealer. As far as anyone catering to me that's hardly the case if you were to read the entire post you would find that #1 This thing was rarely used #2 during the last 2 leaf seasons it was in a warm repair shop getting fixed. Look all I know is that BRIGGS ENGINE + BILLY GOAT LAWN VACUUM = PROBLEMS. It sound to me that you made the correct decision with the HONDA engine.

jkaroleski
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
LAWNGUY SCOTT,
This machine is now 4 years old. Hopefully this is the end of story.
By the way are lawn vacs. used in your area of Florida?

Green Pastures
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Dude from where I sit you got blessed, and need to be thankful instead of pissing and moaning.

:usflag:

jkaroleski
12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
MR. GREEN PASTURES,
I am blessed, and done pissing and moaning, thanks to a great lawn and garden dealer T & S MOWER.
As for your biblical reference here's one for you.
Tobit 4:15 "Do to no one what you yourself dislike."
read the entire post and think about it "DUDE".