PDA

View Full Version : DOT fleecing to day

wellbuilt
12-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Well my neighbor hood NY state DOT stop ed me for a spot inspection today. My truck is registered gvw is 16,000lbs my trailers registered gvw is 10,000 trailer & minnie EX = 10,000 There is a 12000lb sticker on the trailer because it has 2 6000lb axles The guy gives me a ticket for driving out of class. No CDL WTF ? When i traded up to a larger truck i asked about this at motorvehicle and they changed all my trailers from 12000lb to 10000lb and sent me down the road . This is the only trailer i have with stickers . the others just have a vin # stamped in the steel . The title has no registered weight on it . I called the trailer guys to day and they are going to tear off a new sticker with my vin # and the 10000lb tag and i can take it to court with me . The cop put me out of service . What do i do with my older trailers with no tags . I need to get a CDL but i dont really have the time now. I try to do every thing the write way. John

stuvecorp
12-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry to hear about it. I think this situation you described is going to get very common. I would love to see some black and white CDL or non-CDL rules instead of the mess we have now.

bobcat_ron
12-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Just get a damn CDL and be done with it!!

How many times do we need to read about this, someone doesn't understand the rules governing towing over 10,000+ pounds and the regulations surrounding the right type of license, just get a freaking CDL and be done with it forever! Then all you need to worry about is the right registration on your vehicles.

I got my Class 1 over a year ago and I have never been hassled by anyone over my weights and if one of our gravel truck owners we hire calls in sick, I can fill in for them.

BAAAAHHHHH!

AWJ Services
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM
If you add a 10k sticker to the trailer and he pulls the scales and you are over that then your screwed.

I also wonder what they will do when you show up for your CDL test in a F550 and 6 ton trailer?

wellbuilt
12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
My skid and EX both are under the 10000 lbs with the trailer P+ I have a safety factor with 10% of the load on the truck . I have my eye on a yanmar VIO 50 but i would have to upgrade my truck and trailer. Im thinking about a F800 with a 26000lb trailer for the skid & my new EX But with no work There is no need for the new toys . I really like my 8000lb EX and its good for now.I rent out dump trailers and only one of them has a manufacture sticker. It was blank when i bought it I had to fill it in. I guess i could just change the 12 000 to a 10, 000 whats the difference one way or the other, I could run 12000lb axles and rubber on a 10000lb trailer. I feel safer that way . Its the same trailer ? I could take the road test with my truck and trailer but i would be restricted to this rig . I have a few friends that would let me use there truck and trailer for the test but i feel funny about asking .If something were to happen we would both be out of work . For now i have a driver to pull dumpsters and haul me around or i could use my ford excursion . I'm going to give the manual a few reads to day and try to pass the test in the morning .

Dirt Digger2
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
i agree you need the CDL...it really isn't that hard, especially with a small truck and trailer

the DOT doesn't give a damn about what the stickers say, they will look at the stamped axle or tounge every time...i am pretty sure de-rating your trailer only affects registration costs.

Dirt Digger2
12-11-2008, 12:21 PM
if one of our gravel truck owners we hire calls in sick, I can fill in for them.

BAAAAHHHHH!

unless that truck has a regular transmission, and not a girly auto-shift....HAHA

Gravel Rat
12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
The biggest thing with the DOT or CVSE is don't get too mouthy these guys can be real pain in your azz when they get on a power trip.

I agree you guys should get a CDL you do have the stupid 26,000gvw law which we don't have here. In B.C. thou you do need to go to the DMV and get a endorsement on your license for a trailer that has a gross weight of 10,000lbs or more.

The CVSE inspectors have been after landscapers in Vancouver for pulling overweight trailers and not having the proper insurance etc.

I only have a class 3 license it allows me to drive a straight truck any size on air or any combination vehical on juice brakes. I never did go for my class 1 because 12 years ago I didn't need it and today I don't need it. I have no real need to pull trailers with air brakes.

Here in B.C. you can't get a class 1 (A) license with a truck that is on juice brakes. If it has a automatic transmission your restricted to automatic equiped trucks. You have to take your test with a tractor and trailer they don't allow or want a test done on a dump truck and tag trailer. It has to be a tractor pulling a flatdeck or van.

To go to a driving school your looking at 2500 dollars to get a class 1 (A) license.

wellbuilt
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Yea its a bummer to go thru the trouble of taking the test getting the med card and still not being able to drive any thing . I was thinking of just packing it in. I don't really have any work till spring and don't plan on doing much hauling . Plus i know 4of 5 guys that could pull my 12000lb dumpsters to and from the site . I could use a 10000lb trailer for the winter my self. Ive been studying the written test on line and could probably pass the test tomorrow . Ive been driving trucks all my life and manage to get to the freakin job with out splashing coffee all over the dash board and knocking down two many poles. The manufacturer is willing to send me out a new certificate of origin to make the trailer 10,000lbs . I have no paper work that says that the trailer is 12000 lbs It just tells me how much the unladen weight is.. My vin # is a sticker? I can order 10000lbs trailer with heavier 12000lb axles and rubber. after all if they ran me over the scale my trailer would be under 10 000lbs and my truck would be 10000 =20000 whats the big deal .If i am over 10,000 i know I'm dead ether way .

bobcat_ron
12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Get a CDL and you can always drive a bigger truck and no trailer, haul everything on it instead of the trailer.

But in short, get a CDL, after all, you're not a pussy are you!?!?!?

Gravel Rat
12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Like Ron said go get your cdl once you do then you don't have to worry about being overloaded or not being legal because your over the 26000 mark.

wellbuilt
12-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Thats the thing even if i take the test with my truck and pass i still cant drive a truck over 26000lbs I'm just not ready to invest more money into the buzz now. The trucks trailers and equipment are just a small part of the game for me . I do all kinds of work. For the pussy thing . No I'm not a pussy .

BIGBEN2004
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
If you drive your truck and trailer for the test you won't have your air brakes but you would be testing for a Class A license witch would allow you to drive any truck and also any truck with trailer as long as the truck or trailer doesn't have air brakes.

Dirt Digger2
12-11-2008, 07:16 PM
if you get your CDL with a 550 and 12K trailer you can drive any truck (combination or single) on the road....as long as it doesn't have airbrakes (which you are right, isn't a whole lot of trucks) but i have seen 33K trucks before with hydraulic brakes so they do exist and you would be able to drive one

wellbuilt
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Guys when i went to MV to take the written CDL test they told me i would be restricted to a smilier truck trailer combo. My truck is 16000lb gvw with a auto trans and a 12000lb trailer . The CDL would only let me drive the 2000lbs extra trailer weight. They told me it would be like a class B with a allowance for the 12000lb trailer . I could not take the test with a truck smaller then 18900lbs for the class A with full driving rights. The guys at MV told me to down grade my trailer to 10,000lbs and the trailer manufacturer said no problem we can do that because its the same trailer with 12000lb axles and rubber I have new origin tags coming for my court battle. I don't know what this will cost ? but it got to be bad . I have a bad feeling the judge will want me to help bail out ford or GM . Now I'm turning down dump rentals because i cant drop boxes . I'm studying for the dam test now I hope i pass on the first shot .

Dirt Digger2
12-11-2008, 11:04 PM
yea i knew NY was a little messed up with their CDL "laws" but thats rough

RockSet N' Grade
12-12-2008, 12:10 AM
good luck......uniformity in the law and the way it is dished out would be nice, but that just is not the case on all sorts of levels. play the game, get what you need to make it right, and move on.......

ksss
12-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Actually it is like that everywhere. They take note of the type of vehicle you took the test with. They did it to me as well. How it all factors in I don't remember. But it does matter.

stuvecorp
12-13-2008, 12:35 AM
I got to talk to the Iowa DOT today, actually he was pretty nice, I only got hit with not having a current inspection on the 350 but now I do. I think he was having a hard time picking what to fine me. Disclaimer here: I have been playing with fire for the last two years with this truck so I deserved what I got. He said anything over 10,000 pound in the eyes of the Feds is the same as a Semi. It is just part of business that we all are going to have to accept.

Construct'O
12-13-2008, 12:48 AM
I got to talk to the Iowa DOT today, actually he was pretty nice, I only got hit with not having a current inspection on the 350 but now I do. I think he was having a hard time picking what to fine me. Disclaimer here: I have been playing with fire for the last two years with this truck so I deserved what I got. He said anything over 10,000 pound in the eyes of the Feds is the same as a Semi. It is just part of business that we all are going to have to accept.

I thought you was going north/not south to work?

What was you doing in Iowa,just wondering:confused:

Got to love those Iowa DOT guys?:hammerhead: NOT!!!!!!!!!!:usflag:

stuvecorp
12-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I went to Ames and picked up a set of floatation tires for the skid, $200 for the tires and wheels(plus $83 for Iowa:hammerhead:) but have to get rid of the Bobcat color. I didn't really need the floatation tires it was the cheapest set I could find(the mission to upgrade to a 465 is under way:dancing:). The trooper was good about it, I should have borrowed someone's pickup instead of taking the 350. I thought for a couple of seconds about skipping the scale but that may have gotten a worse fine, gambling is fun right?

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 01:30 AM
I have been cramming for the test all day and i may even know some thing now .There is a load of stuff in the book that i know nothing about . Ive never even seen a tractor or trailer up close for that matter it doesnt really interest me. I haven't even taken any kind of a test in 30 years. Ive been reading on line and Out of the hand book , Now if i take the practice test on line I'm passing more then i'm not . I'm scared to go to sleep , i mite forget every thing . My paver will teach me how to drive his truck and trailer and take me for the test but I don't know if the truck or trailer can pass the pre trip inspection ? More thing are leaking then not. Ill just say the rig is less then pristine. I really don't know if i will have a licence after i go to court. I mite not be able to get a CDL if it gos bad. I will try to talk to the trooper before hand and see if he cold talk to the prosecutor in my behalf the guy pulls me over all the time any way . I'M going to postpone the court date for as long as i can, i hope i can get my licence soon. If i can get a med card on Monday i will try to pass the written test .

Dirt Digger2
12-13-2008, 03:03 AM
you will be fine with the test...there are some guys that choke, but it really is a simple test. There are a few questions that you will get wrong, everybody does, but for the most part they are "common knowledge" especially if you have been around trucks of any size

as for court...good luck in NY...i just spent 3 months on a speeding ticket up there...i doubt you will loose your license...I wouldn't play the ignorance card, it typically never works out...be honest with them, tell them your trailer was tagged at 10K and your truck was tagged at what it is, therefore your GVW is under 26K

i know you wont want to do this either....butttttttt you could also place the blame on the company that sold you the trailer...there are several dealers here that actually make you sign a waiver if you buy a trailer over 10K stating that if you get pulled over and don't have a CDL then they are not responsible for any fines because they did not inform you of the rules.....I know this is a really bad way out, but at the same time if it comes down to you loosing your license or bringing a 3rd party in.....you can make the choice

raschmid07
12-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Dirtdigger, I hope you just got back from the bar or are studying for exams at this time of night

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 03:47 AM
No bar for me . It a wast of time . Just reading the dam books till my eye balls pop out of my head .

PerfectEarth
12-13-2008, 08:09 AM
My advice is to take some time with this...It seems like you're trying to really rush this process- especially with the inspection status of the trucks you might be testing in. Whatever you use, it has to be PERFECT!!! the truck and the trailer and all the hook-ups...

I have a similar set-up. F-550 with a 12,000# trailer. Took me quite a while to read the manual (there were many questions about semi hookups that I didn't need to know but was still tested on) and I bombed the written (computer exam) parts a couple times.

Hell, I failed my Pre-trip the first time!! To anyone who says, "It's easy!!"... not to scare you, but it's really not that easy. I had to go over my set-up with a Q-tip for that pre-trip....

Like people have said, get it, but take your time in preparation or you're due for some frustration. As for the trailer business, do the right thing. This part is easy. Troopers don't care about stickers- they'll always check the axle ratings and then do simple addition to see where you are. If you have 12,000# trailer, it's a 12,000# trailer!!!

You'll feel awesome when you get this over with- and you're not restricted to EXACTLY your set-up with an "A" and air-brake/TT restriction... there are bigger dumps with hydraulic brakes. Good luck!!! (oh, and get the med card ASAP!!!! you can't do a thing without it, they'll ask for it at every turn)

AWJ Services
12-13-2008, 09:53 AM

The Federal laws are clear cut.
The states interpretation of those laws are where everything comes into question.
They have been posted here multiple times.

To clarify you mean any trailer over 10k gvwr right.

So any trailer with 5200 pound axles are higher will put you into a cdl classification according to the federal law.

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I wonder if this home study would be helpful?

http://www.cdl-course.com/course-tx.html#SAMPLE

You can substitute your state abbreviation in the address...

I'm thinking about CDL only because newer machines coming out will be heavy. I don't have a trailer, though, to test with and my truck is only a 350.

Junior M
12-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Ok, this is kind of a thread hi jack but its on topic.

Since we're not technically a business will I still need to have a CDL to pull the trailer when I get my license, since I could say its for personal use?

PerfectEarth
12-13-2008, 10:02 AM
It's NOT any trailer over 10,000#.....

It's pretty simple- For a Class "A"

"Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

It's all about the combo....for example, if I only had a 10,000# trailer with my 19,000# F-550, then I would NOT need a CDL....YES, I would be at 29,000# (3,000 over) but the VEHICLE BEING TOWED is not in excess of 10,000#

I think KY follows federal laws to the word.

PerfectEarth
12-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Since we're not technically a business will I still need to have a CDL to pull the trailer when I get my license, since I could say its for personal use?

Do people hire you to do work and pay you for your services??

Junior M
12-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Do people hire you to do work and pay you for your services??
Um, yeah..

But what I am saying is could I say it was for personal use not business until I turn 18 and get my CDL and turn this into a full time thing.

AWJ Services
12-13-2008, 10:14 AM

"Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

It's all about the combo....for example, if I only had a 10,000# trailer with my 19,000# F-550, then I would NOT need a CDL....YES, I would be at 29,000# (3,000 over) but the VEHICLE BEING TOWED is not in excess of 10,000#

Thats why I said over 10k gvwr.
If you used a 19k truck and a 10k exactly trailer then you would not be overweight on ratings but if they pulled the scales you could be Illegal.
Any trailer over 10k no matter what you pull it with puts you into CDL license category.
However most trailers have 5200 pound axles which will always put you over.

Ratings are just the first step.
The scales are the second.

ksss
12-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Don't forget even though you maybe a one man band, you still have to join a drug testing consortium to get signed up for random piss tests as part of your CDL obligations. The fun never ends.

AWJ Services
12-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I will add that the 10k trailer weight for non cdl commercial carriers is more of a state to state thing.
Here they rarely ever enforce.
At one time our normal license said for trailers 10k and under only but they removed that and know it says 2k or less.

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 10:47 AM

I think KY follows federal laws to the word.

Ho no you would need a class b to drive a truck over the 26000lb mark with any trailer 19 000+ 7000= 26000 OK 19000+10000=29 000 out of service . you would be in my boat . My wife could pull a 14000 lb trailer with her diesel excursion with a 21/2" hitch with a pintle hook 10000 + 14000 is only 24000 . The thing is every time i get pulled over the cops tell me some thing new . The guys at my MV have different views also.I have to dig a gas line later and i have to drag the trailer with my Excursion .

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Thats why I said over 10k gvwr.
If you used a 19k truck and a 10k exactly trailer then you would not be overweight on ratings but if they pulled the scales you could be Illegal.
Any trailer over 10k no matter what you pull it with puts you into CDL license category.
However most trailers have 5200 pound axles which will always put you over.

Ratings are just the first step.
The scales are the second.

AwJ If you had 19000lb truck & 10000lb trailer They don't need to weight you . You would be over because You (manufacturers ) GVWR on your truck and trailer is over (Your licence class ). You could pull a 12000lb trailer with a pick up . The thing that freaks me out is my wife could pull my 12000lb sail boat with a 4000lb raised trailer 12' off the road with a wide load permit while beeting the dog with a news paper, screeming at the kids ,filling up on micky dees and thats OK with the DOT. And you dont even want to know about strappig the dam boat down Or the 44' mast. I have been thinking about hauling sail boats when i stop doing constrution .

AWJ Services
12-13-2008, 11:55 AM
AwJ If you had 19000lb truck & 10000lb trailer They don't need to weight you . You would be over because You (manufacturers ) GVWR on your truck and trailer is over (Your licence class ). You could pull a 12000lb trailer with a pick up . The thing that freaks me out is my wife could pull my 12000lb sail boat with a 4000lb raised trailer 12' off the road with a wide load permit while beeting the dog with a news paper, screeming at the kids ,filling up on micky dees and thats OK with the DOT. And you dont even want to know about strappig the dam boat down Or the 44' mast. I have been thinking about hauling sail boats when i stop doing constrution .

I guess I was using some Fuzzy math today.LOL

Another point as well you can take a F250 and a 15k goosekneck and be underweight.
The dot usually goes by load per axle so as long as you did not exceed your rear axle weight you would be good to go.
You may exceed the manufacturers rating but most med duty trucks do not have a listed tow rating anyway.

Dirt Digger2
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Dirtdigger, I hope you just got back from the bar or are studying for exams at this time of night

HAHA you caught me...I thought my spelling and grammar was pretty good too

no final exams for me, I am done...going home tomorrow

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Click this link: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/search/searchresults.asp?type=cache&q=cache:http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/lw/cmvlaw/cdl/cdlmain.asp+do+i+need+a+cdl&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&client=DPSInternet&site=ER&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=DPSInternet

I think it explains it pretty well. CDL is a federal law. I'm sure states have some of their own rules but it is pretty much based on federal law. Here is what Texas says and what I have been told by the license and weight trooper in charge of training. Basically, they only care about actual weight and GVWR of GCWR of a combination vehicles when determining Class A (Combo) in Texas.

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
yellow dogs site is pretty self explanatory. I started in the game long before there was computers . Ive just learned to type and spell again in the last few years. It would be nice if some one would say that a 12000lb trailer. is ok if your truck is 14000lbs but ive only seen this is to areas in the NYS hand book . My F250 has a GVWR of 13500 and a trailer at 15000gvwr is still over 28500 2500 over My truck has a max trailer weight of 12500 and a max GCVWR of 26000lbs and its posted on the driver side door My F250& 350 are max trailer GVWR is really determined by the sticker on the hitch that states 6500 max weight carrying and 12500 max Weight distributing. I was pulling a 12000lb trailer with my f 350 with out the snap brackets with a empty truck trailer at 3400lbs and would have been put out of service if i did not have the bars with me . He only gave me a warning that time . Officer woods has never pulled the scales out on me yet . I'm just living for the day. I have to go do some paying work now . Thanks for the support John

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 02:21 PM
yellow dogs site is pretty self explanatory. I started in the game long before there was computers . Ive just learned to type and spell again in the last few years. It would be nice if some one would say that a 12000lb trailer. is ok if your truck is 14000lbs but ive only seen this is to areas in the NYS hand book . My F250 has a GVWR of 13500 and a trailer at 15000gvwr is still over 28500 2500 over My truck has a max trailer weight of 12500 and a max GCVWR of 26000lbs and its posted on the driver side door My F250& 350 are max trailer GVWR is really determined by the sticker on the hitch that states 6500 max weight carrying and 12500 max Weight distributing. I was pulling a 12000lb trailer with my f 350 with out the snap brackets with a empty truck trailer at 3400lbs and would have been put out of service if i did not have the bars with me . He only gave me a warning that time . Officer woods has never pulled the scales out on me yet . I'm just living for the day. I have to go do some paying work now . Thanks for the support John

my '08 f350 only has a GVWR of 13,000 lbs. How can an F250 be rated higher?

A 14k truck and 12k trailer would be at the threshold for CDL but technically under. If you are that borderline, you should go with the CDL.
I think I am going to do it after resisting. I will have to change the way I do things, however, because I would no longer be in compliance when hauling my chipper because my chainsaws, tools, air compressor are not bolted to the flatbed. That would suck as I have no where to put all that stuff other than on the flatbed when I am towing chipper. I also have to find a trailer and someone to take me to test.. It's a pain in the rear the more I think about it. My gate is only far enough off the road for my truck and 16' trailer. A gooseneck is too long for most of where I haul and I certainly would be screwed with a longer trailer on many jobs. Arghh. I like my little world the way it is. :dizzy:

Junior M
12-13-2008, 02:38 PM

A 14k truck and 12k trailer would be at the threshold for CDL but technically under. If you are that borderline, you should go with the CDL.
I think I am going to do it after resisting. I will have to change the way I do things, however, because I would no longer be in compliance when hauling my chipper because my chainsaws, tools, air compressor are not bolted to the flatbed. That would suck as I have no where to put all that stuff other than on the flatbed when I am towing chipper. I also have to find a trailer and someone to take me to test.. It's a pain in the rear the more I think about it. My gate is only far enough off the road for my truck and 16' trailer. A gooseneck is too long for most of where I haul and I certainly would be screwed with a longer trailer on many jobs. Arghh. I like my little world the way it is. :dizzy:
Ok, another hi jack, but Yellow, have you ever thought of a 16ft between the axle gooseneck, and put a little deck on the neck for any attachments you have to take with you. I know you wont have room to put two attachments on the neck but say if you needed your 4n1 and grapple you could slide the bucket inside the grapple and clamp down on the floor of the bucket with the grapple. Just an idear..

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Ok, another hi jack, but Yellow, have you ever thought of a 16ft between the axle gooseneck, and put a little deck on the neck for any attachments you have to take with you. I know you wont have room to put two attachments on the neck but say if you needed your 4n1 and grapple you could slide the bucket inside the grapple and clamp down on the floor of the bucket with the grapple. Just an idear..

yes I have thought of that. Problem is, I work way back in the woods. While my competitors have to park at the road or in a staging area, I can maneuver way the hell back on these 200, 300, or 3000 ac ranches where I do the work. I like having my rig close enough for support. There is extreme fire danger in a lot of the area I work in and with mulching or even just working with trees, there is usually a need to blow out the radiators or fix something. The high profile trailers make it tough to cross the creeks and go under the tree canopies. That's why I switched from gooseneck to flatbed and short trailer 10 years ago and never went back.

Junior M
12-13-2008, 03:18 PM
yes I have thought of that. Problem is, I work way back in the woods. While my competitors have to park at the road or in a staging area, I can maneuver way the hell back on these 200, 300, or 3000 ac ranches where I do the work. I like having my rig close enough for support. There is extreme fire danger in a lot of the area I work in and with mulching or even just working with trees, there is usually a need to blow out the radiators or fix something. The high profile trailers make it tough to cross the creeks and go under the tree canopies. That's why I switched from gooseneck to flatbed and short trailer 10 years ago and never went back.
Oh, well if you werent worried about being so tall I would suggest making the reciever longer on the gooseneck, dad did that when he wanted a utility body, only problem was he ran nothing but gooseneck trailers, so he had the neck made longer and the reciever made longer.. Sorry for the hi jack just thinking out loud..

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, well if you werent worried about being so tall I would suggest making the reciever longer on the gooseneck, dad did that when he wanted a utility body, only problem was he ran nothing but gooseneck trailers, so he had the neck made longer and the reciever made longer.. Sorry for the hi jack just thinking out loud..

who cares about the hijack! Everyone does it!!

My attachments are tall. The mulcher is the tallest, followed by the shear and stump grinder. It would be really tall on top of the neck. For guys that haul in the city only, I see that and it looks like it works fine for them. I have even seen a deck built over the front of the deck where you can put attachments and then back the skid up to the deck and then have a place under that little deck for storage but then I would get back into a long trailer.
I have been on a job for 7 days and it will continue for another 5. I have to cross a creek, make a sharp bend in the creek then climb a hill to get out of the creek. I barely made it with the chipper and it's the shortest thing I haul. If I didn't have short trailer/chipper, I'd be parked way the heck up at the house and have to walk across the creek and get my shoes wet every day. Since I'm a one-man show most of the time, I don't have the help of moving equipment across the creeks or from one side to a ranch or the other. The second half of this job is on the other side of the ranch and it is sharp turns, narrow gates, and low hanging branches for about 1/2 mile into the woods to the pipeline. I have figured out how the oil company is getting back there but that isn't my problem! I imagine they will have to labor to take down and put back 8' fences and remove gates if necessary to get in.

I have to think on this for a while and figure out what will work if I have to go up in class. Right now I'm at 24k lbs loaded up so I am ok. I've been weighed and I weighed my machines so I know what combination works and what doesn't. At least in Texas I know from the publication and speaking to the TXDPS that I do not need CDL but like I said, the new generation of machines are heavier. If I move up to a supertrak, then I will definitely need the CDL. I need a friend, first, that can help me prepare and loan me a trailer!.. :laugh:

Junior M
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
The gooseneck part would definetly help you on the sharp turns, but your still really tall. I forgot you had the stump grinder and shear, I was thinking you only had a grapple, bucket and the mulcher. I think your current set up is as close to perfect as your goin to get..

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
The gooseneck part would definetly help you on the sharp turns, but your still really tall. I forgot you had the stump grinder and shear, I was thinking you only had a grapple, bucket and the mulcher. I think your current set up is as close to perfect as your goin to get..

I don't always carry everything. Since I got the 330, I stopped carrying a bucket everywhere which limits me but it also keeps my customers from using the "as long as you have your bucket thing with you".

I generally carry the shear and grapple together or the mulcher and grapple.
I love the flatbed because I can go to an out of area job, drop off machine, mulcher, and grapple, come home after that day and drop off mulcher and go back with stump grinder without having to haul a trailer all over God's countryside.

When I do a road job, it's bucket, roller, and grader but the grader attachment doesn't fit so I have to take an empty flatbed back for it. If I'm just hauling 4n1, stump bucket, or tooth bucket, I don't worry about the room as they will fit 2 at a time on the flatbed. If I have to haul my brushcat, it's nearly 7.5 feet long with the bobtach plate which again means I can only carry one other attachment.

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Yea your are correct my 250 is 12500 I have to get the CDL. I have really no choice I have 2 other 12000lb trailers and i cant find out who made them , so i will have to get the licence or buy new trailers and that isn't going to happen . The thing is my paver want to sell me his 20' dove tail 16000 gvw and here we go again new 12000lb +- EX and I'm maxing out my trailer again . A friend of mine has a16' gooseneck with a rack on the front for tools different buckets its kinda nice He rides with his boom between the ramps out the back. The GN turns and handles way better then a tag . I want to turn my truck into a roll off so i could have a dump body or flat bed , roll off dumpsters that way i could move the skid steer on the truck . and have diff rent bodies for different jobs .

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Yea your are correct my 250 is 12500 I have to get the CDL. I have really no choice I have 2 other 12000lb trailers and i cant find out who made them , so i will have to get the licence or buy new trailers and that isn't going to happen . The thing is my paver want to sell me his 20' dove tail 16000 gvw and here we go again new 12000lb +- EX and I'm maxing out my trailer again . A friend of mine has a16' gooseneck with a rack on the front for tools different buckets its kinda nice He rides with his boom between the ramps out the back. The GN turns and handles way better then a tag . I want to turn my truck into a roll off so i could have a dump body or flat bed , roll off dumpsters that way i could move the skid steer on the truck . and have diff rent bodies for different jobs .

I still don't see where you are out of compliance at 12500 and 12k trailers. GCWR is only 24.5k?

Are you absolutely sure that f250 is rated at 12500? That rates it higher than an '08 C3500 dually? Yould be around 9900 GVWR or maybe 10,200 but not 12,500

ksss
12-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I still don't see where you are out of compliance at 12500 and 12k trailers. GCWR is only 24.5k?

Are you absolutely sure that f250 is rated at 12500? That rates it higher than an '08 C3500 dually? Yould be around 9900 GVWR or maybe 10,200 but not 12,500

12500 is too high for a single rear wheel truck even a single wheel 1 ton. Duals gets you to 11800 to 12500 area.

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 09:11 PM
12500 is too high for a single rear wheel truck even a single wheel 1 ton. Duals gets you to 11800 to 12500 area.

and 13 with Ford

Dirt Digger2
12-13-2008, 09:20 PM
the 350 dually i run is 12,500

here is what the back of my PA drivers license says....i will let you interpolate....

"CLASS A - Combination > 26,000lb / Tow > 10,000lb"

bobcat_ron
12-13-2008, 09:28 PM
the 350 dually i run is 12,500

here is what the back of my PA drivers license says....i will let you interpolate....

"CLASS A - Combination > 26,000lb / Tow > 10,000lb"

Mine says Class **1 Restriction 51

Must drive with helmet on and license plate that reads "WE-TODD-DID" at all times.

Mjh Excavating
12-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey Wellbuilt, tell your buddy that if that boom overhangs the trailer out the back between the ramps, that is an "oversized load" and without a permit he is subject to a ticket

ksss
12-13-2008, 10:11 PM
and 13 with Ford

Yellowdog you cant count the tow truck as part of your GVW.:laugh:

Nice try though.:cool2:

CAT powered
12-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Please. You just wish you had a Ford. Just admit it and we'll all be better off.:dancing:

ford = :weightlifter:

general motors = :cry:

ksss
12-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Please. You just wish you had a Ford. Just admit it and we'll all be better off.:dancing:

ford = :weightlifter:

general motors = :cry:

Sorry CAT not even for a cookie.:clapping:

Junior M
12-13-2008, 10:29 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/lol-0017.gif You forgot the anger GMC causes to, especially when they break pulling your broke case skid to the dealer! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-049.gif

If you say Ford is better KSSS I'll sneak a cookie from the cookie jar!

Gravel Rat
12-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Ron to have a class 1 in your area you need to wear a head adornment :laugh:

The gvw on a srw P/U really can't be more than what the tires can carry.

Take for instance the old Ford F-Superduty the trucks have a 15,000lb gvw but the tires were maxed out with 16 inch rubber.

ksss
12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Ron to have a class 1 in your area you need to wear a head adornment :laugh:

The gvw on a srw P/U really can't be more than what the tires can carry.

Take for instance the old Ford F-Superduty the trucks have a 15,000lb gvw but the tires were maxed out with 16 inch rubber.

that is correct.

CAT powered
12-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Junior the tow company loves KSSS because they can just hook onto his truck and take the whole rig, Powertan and all, to the scrapyard where it belongs.:laugh::laugh:

Junior M
12-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Junior the tow company loves KSSS because they can just hook onto his truck and take the whole rig, Powertan and all, to the scrapyard where it belongs.:laugh::laugh:
:laugh:http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-049.gif KSSS doesnt like it because he doesnt get enough to pay off that expensive ass towmaster!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/cooking-34.gif

ksss
12-13-2008, 10:45 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/lol-0017.gif You forgot the anger GMC causes to, especially when they break pulling your broke case skid to the dealer! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-049.gif

If you say Ford is better KSSS I'll sneak a cookie from the cookie jar!

Junior maybe you should go do some book learnin. Wait, I think yur ma is callin', sum thin 'bout keepin yur hands off yur sis. You no dam well what hapin to yur cusin Keith and his sister Jennifer jus down the 'holler:waving: Them youngins got eyes in the back of their dam heads.:dizzy:

Oh and Jr. take CAT NO Power with you.

Junior M
12-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Junior maybe you should go do some book learnin. Wait, I think yur ma is callin', sum thin 'bout keepin yur hands off yur sis. You no dam well what hapin to yur cusin Keith and his sister Jennifer jus down the 'holler:waving: Them youngins got eyes in the back of their dam heads.:dizzy:
They sure do! And its purty darn funny to slap them in the back of the head!;) :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, and KSSS let me give you some learnin its up in the holler, the hollers north ah her.. :laugh:

Gravel Rat
12-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Just think if General Motors doesn't get bailed out they might not be around next year same with Crapsler/Dodge :laugh:

The Number 1 truck pulls through

FORD

ksss
12-13-2008, 10:57 PM
:laugh:http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-049.gif KSSS doesnt like it because he doesnt get enough to pay off that expensive ass towmaster!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/cooking-34.gif

You see Junior when you haul heavy duty equipment you need a heavy duty expensive ass trailer. When your haulin that light weight BC junk around a PJ is fine. I tried a PJ it was a 14K 20' piece of sh!t. The ramps bent under the weight of superior iron. The center jack was a POS. The planking was pine. Overall perfect, if I were a BC owner.

Junior M
12-13-2008, 11:06 PM
You see Junior when you haul heavy duty equipment you need a heavy duty expensive ass trailer. When your haulin that light weight BC junk around a PJ is fine. I tried a PJ it was a 14K 20' piece of sh!t. The ramps bent under the weight of superior iron. The center jack was a POS. The planking was pine. Overall perfect, if I were a BC owner.
Ok, yeah your right they do have their flaws, I love towmaster trailers but the salesmen here are dicks and I think they are way over priced. But if it were a gooseneck it shouldve had to two jacks..

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey Wellbuilt, tell your buddy that if that boom overhangs the trailer out the back between the ramps, that is an "oversized load" and without a permit he is subject to a ticket

There are lots of guys driving around with the boom out the back. When i was pulled over the other day my boom was over the back . Officer woods did not have any problem with the truck, trailer or tie down Just the lack of my CDL . I thought he was a good guy until he dropped the ticket on my seat and put me out of service. To be on the safe side i will keep the boom in board from now on , and pass the word. Thanks for the tip.

wellbuilt
12-13-2008, 11:59 PM

The f250 is a 2001 i think and has a 7.3 diesel 12500 GVWR on the door it has a factory dual wheel set up for toeing and 18 " rims . I use this truck for other work and have no hitch . The trucks weight is over9500 empty . I really need to pull the EX and skid with my dump truck so i have fuel and tools with me . The dump is 16000gvwr.

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Just think if General Motors doesn't get bailed out they might not be around next year same with Crapsler/Dodge :laugh:

The Number 1 truck pulls through

FORD

Obama is going to give me a new GM dmax and I don't care if it is to keep GM in business.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Obama is going to give me a new GM dmax and I don't care if it is to keep GM in business.
If he's giving you one I want a new regular cab long bed Dodge 3500 srw 4x4..

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 12:27 AM
If he's giving you one I want a new regular cab long bed Dodge 3500 srw 4x4..

JR, it is only GM products. We don't care if Dodge goes under.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Well, crap, I want the same thing except GMC..

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
The f250 is a 2001 i think and has a 7.3 diesel 12500 GVWR on the door it has a factory dual wheel set up for toeing and 18 " rims . I use this truck for other work and have no hitch . The trucks weight is over9500 empty . I really need to pull the EX and skid with my dump truck so i have fuel and tools with me . The dump is 16000gvwr.

My 350 is 12,500 GVW and has the 16" wheels. I have always thought 250's or 350 single wheel was just under 10,000 GVW? I thought it was odd but the trooper wanted to read the sticker on the door right away.

ConstructO, was looking for a cutie that wanted to make a run for the border but no luck.:cry:

ksss
12-14-2008, 01:09 AM

AMEN, my Power Tan brother. I have all the pickups and trucks I need, however I will be placing an order for a new CAMARO as soon I hear what the status of the Z-28 is. If it is coming I'll get one. If not it will be an SS. Imperial Blue 2LT loaded to the nuts. Even I should be able to get laid with one of those.:cool2:

Dirt Digger2
12-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Junior isn't it past your bed time?...HAHA

Junior M
12-14-2008, 01:15 AM
AMEN, my Power Tan brother. I have all the pickups and trucks I need, however I will be placing an order for a new CAMARO as soon I hear what the status of the Z-28 is. If it is coming I'll get one. If not it will be an SS. Imperial Blue 2LT loaded to the nuts. Even I should be able to get laid with one of those.:cool2:
Man, that would be awesome to have, I dont like cars but the new camaro's are one car you cant not like. Has this whole bail out and recession put the production of the camaro's to a halt? or are they still planning on them, if GM stays afloat?

Nope, my brother has come to stay the weekend from Augusta before he leaves for basic Sunday at 10pm so he has a bunch of his friends over...

Say you been out at the bar again dirt digger? :laugh: :laugh:

AWJ Services
12-14-2008, 01:54 AM

Dodge is still in buisness?

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Dodge is still in buisness?

Oh, snap!

AWJ Services
12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Man, that would be awesome to have, I dont like cars but the new camaro's are one car you cant not like. Has this whole bail out and recession put the production of the camaro's to a halt? or are they still planning on them, if GM stays afloat?

Yep Camaro's are like A-holes , Everyones got one.:dancing:

There is a talk show host named Neil Boortz and he says every trailer park in the south always has a Camaro in front of a Trailer up on concrete blocks with no tires.
I guess it is a sign that you have arrived.:drinkup:

When I was a young Lad I thought Fords where the only vehicle made.
Till I was 7 and my Dad brought me to a Junkyard and I seen my first Chevy.:waving:

Gm Fbody drivers always remind of Robby (Kid Rock) in that Movie Joe Dirt.

ccstrebe
12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok, another hi jack

who cares about the hijack! Everyone does it!!

This is a subject I have wanted to comment about for a long time but did'nt know how to bring it up.

Because of my other interests (work and motorcycles) I lurk on a lot of forums. This is the only one that I really post on and I feel like a part of the family a little, so to speak.

Anyway, one of the first things that I noticed here that I don't see on other forums was the many tangents that a thread can take on this forum and if a thread didn't catch your interest and you stopped following it, you could miss some really good information. Some of the funniest stuff on this forum are from hijacked threads. I actually don't look at it as a hijacked thread, I see it as just a bunch of people sitting around having a good time and being spontaneous.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

wellbuilt
12-14-2008, 11:20 AM
This is a subject I have wanted to comment about for a long time but did'nt know how to bring it up.

Because of my other interests (work and motorcycles) I lurk on a lot of forums. This is the only one that I really post on and I feel like a part of the family a little, so to speak.

Anyway, one of the first things that I noticed here that I don't see on other forums was the many tangents that a thread can take on this forum and if a thread didn't catch your interest and you stopped following it, you could miss some really good information. Some of the funniest stuff on this forum are from hijacked threads. I actually don't look at it as a hijacked thread, I see it as just a bunch of people sitting around having a good time and being spontaneous.

Lots of fun any way , every one just sharing thoughts.

AWJ Services
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM

It is hard to find Forums where everyone actually gets along which leads to us being able to really beat down each other so to speak in good fun.
Everyone here also respects each other( well except Junior :)) which leads to these tangents.
When someone posts someone always listens( well except Gravel Rat) and responds which leads to these tangents.

Hijacks are good for the Forums stats as well.
The more viewers, the more members, the more posting etc helps attract advertisement which pays for this bandwidth.

Hijack away.:drinkup:

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 12:25 PM
The new Camaro looks good but I want one of those Grand National Buicks.

I am guilty of the hi-jack/tangent a lot, so many times a topic sparks a question and off to the races. It sounds like you don't care too much and if it provides some entertainment, cool. It is nice to have some leeway otherwise it gets really heavy-handed.

ksss
12-14-2008, 12:45 PM

There is a talk show host named Neil Boortz and he says every trailer park in the south always has a Camaro in front of a Trailer up on concrete blocks with no tires.

Till I was 7 and my Dad brought me to a Junkyard and I seen my first Chevy.:waving:

I had an F body and a mullet.:clapping:

I have had 4 Camaros. 76' straight 6, base Camaro in high school, slower than Juniors ability to grasp big words but it looked good.

I had a 78 RS I had while stationed in Camp Pendleton. Fast car, and looked awesome, it was a conversation piece everywhere I went.

Next was a 90 IROC Z with a 350 TPI fast car, but the F body had its issues. Good looking car, burgandy.

The last one I just sold a couple years ago was a 96 Z-28 SS number 2138 out of 5000 made. Bright red. That car screamed.

Sorry if I digressed. These new Camaro's look awesome. Even the base model has a direct injected V-6 making 300 hp. That is more than the IROC made with the 350 engine.

If you don't like the looks of the new Camaro. You have no taste (actually I had several much better comments but decided against it). Hopefully GM does a good job putting it together we'll see.

AWJ Services
12-14-2008, 01:06 PM
If you don't like the looks of the new Camaro. You have no taste (actually I had several much better comments but decided against it). Hopefully GM does a good job putting it together we'll see.

:)

I grew up a Mustang guy.

I actually like Camaros just beating up you chevy guys.

Here is an Engine I did several years ago for my buddies 72 Camaro.
Download the zip and open it.Double click the File and it will open.
That is the dyno sheet .
One pulls was with Nitrous oxide and one was without.
The guy is Scared to drive it.
Had stock heads and was a cheap low budget build.
I have done at least 30 or 40 Chevy engines.

wellbuilt
12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
If I ever drive a car again it is going the have to be a 2 seat er maybe the small BMW or the Benz I had a nice cherry red vet 1965 soft top 327 fuel was . 55 a gallon and i was sweating a fill up to go to the beach Its hard for me to relate to the new cars .

Junior M
12-14-2008, 02:14 PM

:laugh: Whats funny I can take you to the mud bog/junk yard and there are more camaro's and fire birds there than I have ever seen in one place, all broke down and not running.

I go to a few different forums and I like this place alot more because of the same reasons as ccstrebe. I hardly ever got to HEF because that idiot steve is jumping in the all the time "Oh, dont hi-jack" "Stay on topic", and that place is really slow!

KSSS my old boss has a red 96 z28, man that thing will scream! We took it to that mud bog/junk yard that also happens to have a 1/8 mile strip, holy crap! That is an awesome car!

YellowDogSVC
12-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Never ever seen an f250 with drw and 12500 weight rating. My '97 F350 SRW was only rated at 9900 with the 7.3. You must have a custom?

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I go to a few different forums and I like this place alot more because of the same reasons as ccstrebe. I hardly ever got to HEF because that idiot steve is jumping in the all the time "Oh, dont hi-jack" "Stay on topic", and that place is really slow!

Funny you should mention that, Steve-o is constantly running out of bandwidth, the problem is that there are loads of members uploading pics to his site, and that takes up server space, but one of the mods mentioned that he has turned of the [IMG] code, if he turns that function on, anyone can copy and paste their pics [IMG] code from a free host site like we do here from Photobucket, then there is no need to constantly upgrade the site.
Now with the last upgrade Steve-o made, members have lost avatars and signatures and the whole forum board has shrunk, so more room from advertisers can take up more space, he sure ain't smart.

YellowDogSVC
12-14-2008, 02:33 PM

For the most part, you can thank Ron!

Junior M
12-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Funny you should mention that, Steve-o is constantly running out of bandwidth, the problem is that there are loads of members uploading pics to his site, and that takes up server space, but one of the mods mentioned that he has turned of the [IMG] code, if he turns that function on, anyone can copy and paste their pics [IMG] code from a free host site like we do here from Photobucket, then there is no need to constantly upgrade the site.
Now with the last upgrade Steve-o made, members have lost avatars and signatures and the whole forum board has shrunk, so more room from advertisers can take up more space, he sure ain't smart.
Lost avatars? I just went there and they still have signatures and avatars. I dont like that place anyways. Its way to slow, we have more threads go threw here in a day than they do in a week...

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
For the most part, you can thank Ron!

Why thank you...............
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/1555threadrocksa.jpg

Junior M
12-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Why thank you...............

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

all ferris
12-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I had an F body and a mullet.:clapping:

I have had 4 Camaros. 76' straight 6, base Camaro in high school, slower than Juniors ability to grasp big words but it looked good.

I had a 78 RS I had while stationed in Camp Pendleton. Fast car, and looked awesome, it was a conversation piece everywhere I went.

Next was a 90 IROC Z with a 350 TPI fast car, but the F body had its issues. Good looking car, burgandy.

The last one I just sold a couple years ago was a 96 Z-28 SS number 2138 out of 5000 made. Bright red. That car screamed.

Sorry if I digressed. These new Camaro's look awesome. Even the base model has a direct injected V-6 making 300 hp. That is more than the IROC made with the 350 engine.

I like the new Camaro too. This is my 86 Berlinetta. Father in law gave it to me (free). I just had to repaint it. 305 auto in it now, however, I would like to add a 350 H.O. sometime soon. This car is in great shape. Do you guys like the make shift paint booth? My wife was not very understanding when she had to park in the shed for a couple weeks.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow, nice work Ferris..

ksss
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice paint job. You even went with the original striping at the bottom. Very sweet.:clapping:

all ferris
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Here is what it looked like when I got the car.

Sorry about the hyjack.

I have never heard of a F250 with a 12500 gvwr. Maybe thats the max trailer capacity. My 2002 duramax 2500hd has a 9200 gvwr. My 08 F450 has a 16000 gvwr.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Here is what it looked like when I got the car.

Sorry about the hyjack

Who cares, thats a nice car, buddy of mine at school has a white and gold one just like that..

YellowDogSVC
12-14-2008, 04:49 PM
that car brings back memories of HS in the 80's!

all ferris
12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
that car brings back memories of HS in the 80's!

Precisely why I told my father in law that if he ever got rid of the car I would disown him and he would never see his daughter again:laugh: I guess a little intimidation goes along way. My wife was driving this car when I first met her and we had some crazy ......

hair with the T-tops out:laugh:

BTW- I did have a mullet:D

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM

I think at this point we should just assume that everyone had a mullet, the couple that didn't should be embarrassed.:)

wellbuilt
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Never ever seen an f250 with drw and 12500 weight rating. My '97 F350 SRW was only rated at 9900 with the 7.3. You must have a custom?

yea it was made for pulling sail boats it needed to be lower with a softer ride for a custom trailer . Before that i had the same truck with a 460 with no emissions 1993 I had no cat and ran on leaded gas I had to add the lead the truck was made for Canada. The dot guys would give me a hard time but had to give in because they registerd the truck that way . The reg was marked for regular fuel only with the large filler hole .

YellowDogSVC
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Precisely why I told my father in law that if he ever got rid of the car I would disown him and he would never see his daughter again:laugh: I guess a little intimidation goes along way. My wife was driving this car when I first met her and we had some crazy ......

air with the T-tops out:laugh:

just what a dad wants to read!:cool2: :drinkup: