PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a website?

Jmill88
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
How many of you have a website? If so, when you added it, did it seem like it made a big difference? Thinking about creating one, but don't want to if it won't bring in more business. Thanks

DLAWNS
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
I have a website. It's not quite done yet. I have seen some leads come from it. Once it is finished I'm going to promote it like crazy.

WebMan
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
The biggest mistake people make in creating web sites is making something (or having it done) that THEY like instead of looking at it from the customer's point of view. Then they post here "what do you think" and other landscapers say "looks great" but landscapers don't buy landscaping!

Your web site needs to "SELL" the customer on why they should click the button to e-mail you or call you or whatever. I can count on my hands the "selling" web sites I have seen here. Usually a guy gets what looks good to him,he posts "what do you think?" Other landscape people say "looks great" and it never sells... because landscape people don't buy landscape services.

A well built, properly used web site should bring you far more jobs than it costs for the site (at least 5 to 10x more) and in this day and time if you don't have a web site people don't think you are a real business... especially if your competitors do.

And the absolute WORST thing you can do is answer a business e-mail with an address that ends in @hotmail or @gmail or @aol or similar. Most property managers will just blow you off as being a "nobody" as soon as they see that as will many homeowners.

B & B Yardscape
12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
DLawns: Went to your site. Put your logo at the top and the links below that. I would remove the italic from the wording. I know you didn't ask, but I thought you would like to know.

B & B Yardscape
12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Webman, doesn't that blow your mind when you see "bestlawncompany@yahoo.com." when they are paying for "theirname@bestlawncompany.com" ? It is such a simple thing and people don't do it.

DBL
12-14-2008, 02:50 PM
working on getting up sometime over the winter

B & B Yardscape
12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
What "something" are you trying to "get up" over the winter? LOL

WebMan
12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Webman, doesn't that blow your mind when you see "bestlawncompany@yahoo.com." when they are paying for "theirname@bestlawncompany.com" ? It is such a simple thing and people don't do it.
You would not BELIEVE how many of my customers I have tried to "push" into using the mail included with their hosting (and we have all the features--anti spam/anti-virus so no reason not to) and they will still either keep their "free-mail" or say "can't I just forward it to may "hotmail?" or whatever (which they will then do (if they do anything) even after we explain why that's a bad option also)

You are right it blows my mind, I'm glad to know it isn't just me, I presume from your post many hosts have the same ratio of customers who don't use their included "real" e-mail accounts and wonder why customers don't take them seriously....Duh :hammerhead:

topsites
12-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Well I tell you guys what...

I do agree you should have a good email address but since ASV measures make
the nomenclature purely administrative anyhow it really makes little difference.

Fact is you let the world know your email address and I guarantee you'll soon
find it difficult to distinguish legitimate communication from the resulting SPAM.

It's only a matter of time before the rotten bots find it, weeks, months, but it usually happens sooner rather than later.
There are but two ways about it, either nobody knows what it is, or you rely on someone else's spam control such as Yahoo!
Then Yahoo didn't exactly make it easy to use a domain-named address with their latest upgrade.

Last but not least I have never gotten email from a customer direct, it's always been via forms.

So who cares, nobody ever sees it anyway.

Kiril
12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Fact is you let the world know your email address and I guarantee you'll soon find it difficult to distinguish legitimate communication from the resulting SPAM.

There are ways to combat this.

ProScape Canada
12-25-2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.proscape.ca/

I agree with the comment above. When you design something you make it look the way you want. To make a successful website you have to think out of the box. Keep it simple and keep it text. Last year I got a few leads through the online form but many did call referencing the website (Personalized service). It's good as a reference point for customers and to set an identity.

Regarding your e-mail and spam. spam is here either way. If you register abc.com companies will eventually start spamming sales@abc.com, info@abc.com, etc.. The best way to avoid spam is make a non-generic email like yourname@abc.com or landscaping@abc.com. Another solution if you plan on listing your email on your website do not use text. make your e-mail an image. This will stop a lot of leaches (See example at http://www.proscape.ca/company). And as mentioned using contact forms is also a good idea. It allows your potential client to send an e-mail there and then without having to navigate to their e-mail client, type in your e-mail address, etc.

Remember. Your names your key. ProScape.ca is a landscaping business, ProScape.com is some marketing website or something. Totally different fields in totally different areas.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.