PDA

View Full Version : Controling your own destiny...

mike payne
02-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Why did you get in to this business??? I worked for one company for 31 years and retired with full pay. I was never challenged or fulfilled during that time. Now I am my own boss, I love this work. My customers are my new friends. I am working harder now and enjoying the work. Isn't that what is important in life.

LawnLad
02-21-2002, 08:37 AM
Amen!

Started as the neighborhood lawn kid at 10 or 11, worked through high school. Decided after a short career in college that I like the industry and wanted to stick with it. Been doing it since... 10 year high school reunion is this spring.

PAPS
02-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Ditto here on my destiny... started out mowing a few lawns for extra cash at the age of 16. Went onto college coming back home on weekends to work... after about 3 years at college... decided that this was the business for me and went full steam ahead... now i am 24 and my company has grown into a fairly med- large company in my area of work.

MATTHEW
02-21-2002, 09:20 PM
All I can say is that it is "work", but it's not the same as when you clock in and put on that uniform. Before I felt like I was "doing time". Now it feels like being free.

Tim Canavan
02-24-2002, 10:25 AM
There's nothing better than working for yourself, doing what you love to do and making a profit. I love everything about it. The heat, the customers, the equipment, and especially the way something looks when I'm done. I hope all of you guys feel the same way. If not, I'd suggest getting out of the biz to make room for those of us who do.

CS Lawns
02-24-2002, 01:47 PM
An unexpected Lay Off is what made me start my Lawn Business. Was a salesman sold meat proccessing supplies for 10 years tired of commision work sales calls many questions about how much are your sales this week etc. I always wanted to be my own boss and get into lawn care its a great feeling, dont make as much as I used to but give me a few seasons and BAM! I'm there :blob4:

Plowguy99
02-26-2002, 11:27 PM
I worked for a guy during high school and did it on my own for a year after I graduated. Went to college to be a mechanic and after I finished and started working in a shop I couldn't stand being inside all day. Decided to give it another go again this spring!

I guess we will see what happens.

Brandon Wymelenberg
02-27-2002, 09:47 AM
i got into this business through my friend/now boss, kerr lawn here on lawnsite, i was sitting at my programming mid term and needed some money and asked him, i was hired on the spot, just had my one year aniversery, taking another programming class same period and all just one computer over, thought that was pretty cool, i could never see my self sitting in an office, id end up killing all my co-workers, tryed mowing for myself, to slow so i decided to get a job with my friend, now im staying in this businness for life, maybe doing some comp work but this is primary