PDA

View Full Version : Christmas lighting in snowy climates?

CNYScapes
12-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Do any of you guys install christmas lights in cold snowy climates? We could get the lights up in decent weather, but after the holidays (JAN.1 or later) our weather is pretty bad up here. We average 120 inches of snow. The edges of the roof where the lights would be clipped will most likely be covered in ice and snow by January. Just checking to see if any of you deal with the same problems?

Marcos
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Hell, why not just leave 'em up all year, like alot of hillrats and trailer park trash seem to want to do?!?

christmas79
12-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't take the lights down in the snow! That' s what I put in the contract.

David Gretzmier
12-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I know of a guy that does around 200 Christmas customers in New York, and does ok. I am sure it comes with an added set of problems, as cords are very difficult to deal with below 32 degrees, and many of our installers prefer to work from the roof rather than ladders. also, many plastic clips break and are brittle below 30 degrees. sliding ice and snow runoff of roofs would also tear many all in one clips down.

Christmas lights sure do look pretty when everything is icy and snowy, though...:)

turf hokie
12-13-2008, 08:49 AM
We do deal with it, but not like you do. If we have a bad year with snow, we will take everything but the roof down and come back when we can get on the roof.

David,
If you are speaking of the company I think you are, he is much closer into the city, where they get more rain than snow. CNY could get 12 inches, I would get 3 and the city would get a dusting at most.

CNYScapes
12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
It has been in the 20's and 30's consistently here since November 18th. We have already plowed 7 times. This would be crappy weather to put up lights, but I hate plowing so much (14 yrs of it), I think I am willing to deal with it. I am looking to cut back on plowing and do other things. I have not seen anybody else around here doing lighting , but that doesnt mean there arent guys out there. Our county has 318,000 people. Not a lot of big money here though. Think there is a market for it up here?

M&N Maintenance
12-13-2008, 01:03 PM
We install lights in this weather with snow and ice. We try to install roof lines in October but with new sales we have to work around the weather. We are installing the last of them today.

turf hokie
12-13-2008, 06:12 PM
It has been in the 20's and 30's consistently here since November 18th. We have already plowed 7 times. This would be crappy weather to put up lights, but I hate plowing so much (14 yrs of it), I think I am willing to deal with it. I am looking to cut back on plowing and do other things. I have not seen anybody else around here doing lighting , but that doesnt mean there arent guys out there. Our county has 318,000 people. Not a lot of big money here though. Think there is a market for it up here?

I know guys installing in Alaska, Canada, and other far north climates, I imagine you would do ok with the weather. I think there is some amount of market no matter where you are, you may have to travel further than some to get it though.

hotrod1965
12-17-2008, 09:31 PM
burrrr. we got a last minute install for this Saturday. Snowed about 4 inches yesterday andwe are going to get some more before Sat.

CNYScapes
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
burrrr. we got a last minute install for this Saturday. Snowed about 4 inches yesterday andwe are going to get some more before Sat.

So, do you have any tips on installing in the snow and ice? I think it would get pretty hairy on ladders?

hotrod1965
12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
So, do you have any tips on installing in the snow and ice? I think it would get pretty hairy on ladders?

WEll, we don't actually install while it is snowing. And you can't get on a roof with snow on it. So we do our best to get everything up ASAP. But, when there is snow on the ground, you need to remeber to knock the snow off your boots before you climb on the ladder. Use the bottom step on the ladder to scrape and knock the snow off. Then the only slick step is the bottom one!

wurkn with amish
12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I did my house in the snow a couple weeks ago! Don't do it!

Ducke
12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Here in Nova Scotia we start installs Nov 1 and are finished around Dec12
We install in most weather Rain ,Light Snow, 80Km wind.
Ice is the worst I hate installing light tabs with a Hammer.
If it gets real bad (heavy snow ) we will work from the Ladder but in most cases I prefer getting on the roof.
A solid roof is way better then a 40 ft ladder in 80Km wind or humping it in 3 ft of snow.
Take down is 2nd week of Jan and if you put them up just right and tape all your connections, one good pull and they all come tumbling down.

PS: anyone run into roof shingles that are made out of Recycled Tires ?
They look like Slate Shingles. They look really nice but suck when doing lighting
no tabs will stay under them we had to staple the lights to the top surface of the shingles.
I don't think we will do any others like it again.way to many service calls.

Merry Christmas All
Ducke

Carolina Cuts
12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I was decorating 2 weeks ago..... in shorts.

kinda kills the 'Christmas spirit' without the cold and snow. But then again, I'll gladly take the warmer weather.

hotrod1965
12-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Just did an install yesterday in about 10-12 inches of snow....

David Gretzmier
12-22-2008, 05:26 AM
I love late installs. gets me into the Christmas spirit. sorry for the snow .