PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat S250?

denver 2
12-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm considering moving up from a 773G Bobcat to a S250. I've owned a S185 and a 7753 Bobcats in the past and have found them very reliable. Are the S250's reliable or should I look at Cat or Deere? Rubber track machines scare me as far as reliability goes so I'm leaning towards standard wheel machines with steel tracks. Any info would be helpful.

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm considering moving up from a 773G Bobcat to a S250. I've owned a S185 and a 7753 Bobcats in the past and have found them very reliable. Are the S250's reliable or should I look at Cat or Deere? Rubber track machines scare me as far as reliability goes so I'm leaning towards standard wheel machines with steel tracks. Any info would be helpful.

I think any of the machines with the v3300 will be very reliable. I have had an s220, s250, and 3 s300's all with the same motor, drive system, chain case (except 2 s300's were K series). The S250 is both productive and light enough to have a good power to weight ratio. It will blow away the 773g (had one of those too) in lift, stability, pushing, and digging.

denver 2
12-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks YellowdogSVC for the advice.

ksss
12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks YellowdogSVC for the advice.

I would consider demoing a CASE 440 (radial lift). Great power in small package with a ROC of 2200. The CASE 445 is vertical lift, a little less power than 440 but same ROC as 250, but with more bucket breakout and more hp than S250. good luck

denver 2
12-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks KSSS for your input. I've seen very few Case products in my area, maybe because of dealer service area? I'll look into it.

bobcat_ron
12-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!! Cat!!

bobcat_ron
12-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Cat 262C, more engine power and when you flip the wheels around, you get a narrow 66" wide machine, no need to buy bigger buckets, keep what you have from the machines you hae now. The Bobcat S250 can only get down to 72" of width.

CAT powered
12-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Off Topic alert!!!

Does anyone else think what I think about Ron's new sig kitty?

stuvecorp
12-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Off Topic alert!!!

Does anyone else think what I think about Ron's new sig kitty?

It is disturbing.

Junior M
12-13-2008, 09:58 PM
It is disturbing.
Really disturbing..

YellowDogSVC
12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Ron is just out of frame on that sig.

SellingIron
12-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Cat 262C, more engine power and when you flip the wheels around, you get a narrow 66" wide machine, no need to buy bigger buckets, keep what you have from the machines you hae now. The Bobcat S250 can only get down to 72" of width.

Ron, The 262c should be compared to the S300 to be fair..Cat's 256c would be a better match with bobcats S250.. Cats units are out classed in most of the specs.. Length,Height,Reach,Lift Height and the S250 can get to 68" wide if needed with offset rims..

Twitchy
12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I think any of the machines with the v3300 will be very reliable. I have had an s220, s250, and 3 s300's all with the same motor, drive system, chain case (except 2 s300's were K series). The S250 is both productive and light enough to have a good power to weight ratio. It will blow away the 773g (had one of those too) in lift, stability, pushing, and digging.
I'm in the same boat as denver 2, i have a s185 that i out grew. I want a track machine(t300) but spend 30% of my time on cement or blacktop. The $5000 bill for track replacement doesnt sound like fun either. My bobcat salesman is steering me towards the s250 w/ over the tire tracks. Other forums have complained about the extra wear on the chains with the over the tire tracks. Is that true? Is there a major difference between the s300 & s250. Thanks for the help.

SellingIron
12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
You can get aftermarket tracks for $1,150 each for the T300..They work just as good and have the same factory warranty..:usflag:

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 02:53 PM
And it all depends on how you turn on pavement with a CTL/MTL, nice slow turns or just throw some sand or dirt on the road if you absolutely have to spin a 180, it's all planning.
I still got 900 hours on my T190 tracks, and 40% of those hours were on concrete and pavement, but I still plan my turns today.

denver 2
12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks bobcat Ron for your suggestion. The Cat you mentioned is out of my price range. Looking to spend around 20g's tops for a machine under 1500 hours.

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks bobcat Ron for your suggestion. The Cat you mentioned is out of my price range. Looking to spend around 20g's tops for a machine under 1500 hours.

Still, that Cat is a better choice IMO, like a person once told me, Cat's are the type of machine you could be a thousand miles from no where and it just keeps going, if it pops a hose or something under that cab, easy cheesy to fix, Bobcat's, well....maybe a mile from no where and it breaks down some how and they are not fun to work on under the cabs.

mrsops
12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm in the same boat as denver 2, i have a s185 that i out grew. I want a track machine(t300) but spend 30% of my time on cement or blacktop. The $5000 bill for track replacement doesnt sound like fun either. My bobcat salesman is steering me towards the s250 w/ over the tire tracks. Other forums have complained about the extra wear on the chains with the over the tire tracks. Is that true? Is there a major difference between the s300 & s250. Thanks for the help.

Go with a bobcat s330 :weightlifter:

Twitchy
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
And it all depends on how you turn on pavement with a CTL/MTL, nice slow turns or just throw some sand or dirt on the road if you absolutely have to spin a 180, it's all planning.
I still got 900 hours on my T190 tracks, and 40% of those hours were on concrete and pavement, but I still plan my turns today.
How about snow plowing w/ t300. People say it's no good. I do a good amount of commercial buildings a storage facilities. No ground pressure no traction. Thanks

Sunscaper
12-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I thought about trading my S205 and looked at an S250, cat 262c, and case 445. After it was all said and done I decided to keep my 205 but I would have stuck with bobcat S-250 had I decided to buy a new machine. Case was waaayyy overpriced so it wasn't even anything I wanted to look at. I never saw a case skid steer here in 3 years and now know why. I demoed a 262C cat. The cat is really nice but rear visibility is horrible with those huge towers. I also found the cat could not push any more than my 205, maye even less due to the anti-stall option. My cat has a really neat cab though. I would have been more than happy to have one but I found it to be counter productive. Also The Cat was almost $7k more than a fully loaded S250.

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 08:17 PM
How about snow plowing w/ t300. People say it's no good. I do a good amount of commercial buildings a storage facilities. No ground pressure no traction. Thanks

That was always my argument for the VTS, I don't think it is cost effective to run tracked machines for snow removal.

mrsops
12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I dont take my t190 out in the snow no way it stays in my yard and loads the salt spreaders all night

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I thought about trading my S205 and looked at an S250, cat 262c, and case 445. After it was all said and done I decided to keep my 205 but I would have stuck with bobcat S-250 had I decided to buy a new machine. Case was waaayyy overpriced so it wasn't even anything I wanted to look at. I never saw a case skid steer here in 3 years and now know why. I demoed a 262C cat. The cat is really nice but rear visibility is horrible with those huge towers. I also found the cat could not push any more than my 205, maye even less due to the anti-stall option. My cat has a really neat cab though. I would have been more than happy to have one but I found it to be counter productive. Also The Cat was almost $7k more than a fully loaded S250.

It is interesting how certain areas have way different market share with machines.

mrsops
12-14-2008, 08:24 PM

Bill even up north over here i don't see any case skid steers maybe 1 or 2 even the guys that are running the bigger case excavators on big job sites if there is a skid steer or track machine on site most of the time its a Cat or Bobcat. The bobcat s205 is a small frame machine with some nice pushing power and roc I'm very happy with both of mine

ksss
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM

I have never saw CASE being priced way beyond the others, especially when you consider the value of they have. Must have some dealer issues down there. I know that a large CASE dealer took over all the dealerships down in the Southeastern US. Hopefully thats a good thing.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Bill even up north over here i don't see any case skid steers maybe 1 or 2 even the guys that are running the bigger case excavators on big job sites if there is a skid steer or track machine on site most of the time its a Cat or Bobcat. The bobcat s205 is a small frame machine with some nice pushing power and roc I'm very happy with both of mine
Nobody here runs case except for one masonry guy, course they all run wierd off brand crap, like new holland :laugh: Its the same here everybody runs cat and bobcat, I am starting to see more and more bobcat and less and less cat, alot of guys got cat and then when it came time to rebuild the undercarriage they realized the price and got another brand, one company got new Tak 150's..

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I have never saw CASE being priced way beyond the others, especially when you consider the value of they have. Must have some dealer issues down there. I know that a large CASE dealer took over all the dealerships down in the Southeastern US. Hopefully thats a good thing.

We have dealer issues here and unfortunately Case is losing the little guys that use to run their stuff. It was very common for contractors to run other brands but would have a 1845 running around the job sites.

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Cat's and ASV's are golden in snow, their rubber compound is the right stuff, my neighbour hates me when he sees me plowing snow out of our driveway while he spins his tires on his Bobcat.

Sunscaper
12-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Both times I tried to buy a case in the past 5 years the dealers had a take it or leave it attitude. I cannot justify paying almost $10k over bobcat and $5k over a cat. Also I have wondered about their service department. I think when the machine breaks I am competeting for service against big iron and loose every time. I think they know a huge road contractor who needs $1million plus in equipment will eventually buy the machine anyways and that is the type of customer they are after. Same way I am not interested in doing smaller jobs for people most of the time. I guess case's business model is making the most money with the larger contractors vice us smaller owner operator types. It's a shame because I always liked case products. The 75xt I demoed 5 years ago has by far the most powerful skid in its class.

ksss
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Both times I tried to buy a case in the past 5 years the dealers had a take it or leave it attitude. I cannot justify paying almost $10k over bobcat and $5k over a cat. Also I have wondered about their service department. I think when the machine breaks I am competeting for service against big iron and loose every time. I think they know a huge road contractor who needs $1million plus in equipment will eventually buy the machine anyways and that is the type of customer they are after. Same way I am not interested in doing smaller jobs for people most of the time. I guess case's business model is making the most money with the larger contractors vice us smaller owner operator types. It's a shame because I always liked case products. The 75xt I demoed 5 years ago has by far the most powerful skid in its class.

Thats too bad you feel your treated like that. CASE became big by having a reputation of getting the smaller contractors up and running, usually with a backhoe and skid steer. As their construction line has grown to include a full line construction offering, I guess some dealers may have lost the "help the small guy" attitude that got CASE in the game to start with. If they are adopting the CAT attitude of business I will truly be ashamed.

I have bid BC (220) and this Spring a CAT 256C and both machines were within a couple K of a CASE 440 with same equipment. The BC and CAT were both higher. Granted I get great pricing, but still you should not be seeing bids of 5 and 10K over CAT or BC assuming the machines are equally loaded and bid against like sized machines.

I will say this, if you thought the 75XT was the most powerful in its class at the time you really should run some of the new product. Even if you have no intention of buying. The Series 3 machines will really impress you. The 440, 445 and 465 specifically. I always thought the 75XT was a weak sister in the XT lineup. It was definately overshadowed by much more powerful machines in the lineup.

Sunscaper
12-15-2008, 12:08 PM
KSSS you should open a dealership here once things pick up. I actually knew more about the case products from reading your posts than the salesman knew. It was blatantly obvious that they haven't sold a skid in quite some time if ever. I will run a case next year. My bobcat is almost paid off and I will look closer at the series 3 machines. Those series 3 cabs look really inviting as well. I really liked the 445. I think you have one right? How do you like it?

ksss
12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
KSSS you should open a dealership here once things pick up. I actually knew more about the case products from reading your posts than the salesman knew. It was blatantly obvious that they haven't sold a skid in quite some time if ever. I will run a case next year. My bobcat is almost paid off and I will look closer at the series 3 machines. Those series 3 cabs look really inviting as well. I really liked the 445. I think you have one right? How do you like it?

I owned an 85XT. The S3 445 has been much improved. They have sold a few here and the guys are real impressed with them. At our elevations, the 440, 450, and 465 have been the most popular due to their high hp. With these new motors they have really stepped up on some of the other models like the 445 and the 420 and 430. The 445 in series 3 got the 465 loader arms back like the 85XT did. Its a strong machine.

One day I'll own a dealership. Florida sounds like great place, I'll bet it doesn't get subzero very often.:laugh:

Junior M
12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I owned an 85XT. The S3 445 has been much improved. They have sold a few here and the guys are real impressed with them. At our elevations, the 440, 450, and 465 have been the most popular due to their high hp. With these new motors they have really stepped up on some of the other models like the 445 and the 420 and 430. The 445 in series 3 got the 465 loader arms back like the 85XT did. Its a strong machine.

One day I'll own a dealership. Florida sounds like great place, I'll bet it doesn't get subzero very often.:laugh:
Columbia, South Carolina sounds even better KSSS!!

ksss
12-15-2008, 10:57 PM

I have never been to Columbia. Might be worth a look. Imagine if your first piece of purchased equipment was a CASE. Wouldn't that be something.

YellowDogSVC
12-15-2008, 11:16 PM

i know a guy who runs the yard at a fencing warehouse in columbia area. small world.