PDA

View Full Version : Question about Client/friend

tg5273
12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
O.k here goes. I have a guy that lives two doors down from me that owns a home restoration/ handyman business, he stumbles on a plaza that wants him to take care of all the maintenance including the lawn care. So, he decides to subcontract the lawn maintenance to me. To make a long story short, after a few months of him slow paying me and an unreasonably picky owner of the property, I decided to have him get someone else take care of the property. I gave him a months notice as to my intentions, which he was fine with at the time. Well now I can't get my last payment from him, as I said he lives two doors down from me and our kids play together. How do you guys think I should handle this situation?

gene gls
12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Chuck it off to the school of hard knocks. Lesson learned, do not do business with neighbors or friends.

TJLANDS
12-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Chuck it off to the school of hard knocks. Lesson learned, do not do business with neighbors or friends.

and of course family

bohiaa
12-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I also lerned the hard way NO more RENT homes

shane mapes
12-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Can you live without the payment? If not and the subcontract you signed should have early out details. Me persona ly if i could let it go then do it, if not take legal action.

tg5273
12-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Can you live without the payment? If not and the subcontract you signed should have early out details. Me persona ly if i could let it go then do it, if not take legal action.

Yeah I can live without it. I think I will just chalk it up as a major lesson learned. My biggest issue is I don't want there to be any problems for the kids, one bad business decision I made should not have to affect my son. Thanks for the replies. TG :waving:

Stillwater
12-14-2008, 05:03 AM
remind him you need payment, then Let it go.............

DLAWNS
12-14-2008, 10:54 AM
remind him you need payment, then Let it go.............

I would also politely bring it up. If you don't want to ruin the kids friendship and it's not that much money then I guess let it go.

Fvstringpicker
12-14-2008, 03:08 PM
You can ask yourself if the stress and animosity of forcing the issue worth the money due.

B & B Yardscape
12-14-2008, 04:25 PM
What everyone said, ditto.

My question would be, can you let it go and not bring it up later as a jab at him? stLike he says,"I'll pick up the dinner check." and you say, "You should you still owe me $???."

He knows he owes you, maybe he is a little more pissed than he let on. Has he found someone else to do the work?

I would let it go. Write it off as a loss. Keep the kids out of it and let them play.

EagleLandscape
12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
knock on his door, and tell him that you came to pick up the last check. then you will find out if he will pay, or why he wont pay.