PDA

View Full Version : new job in a few months

Dirt Digger2
12-14-2008, 02:12 AM
well guys i got a new job after i graduate....I don't want to say who it is with until I start in June in case something comes up, i don't want to get your hopes up, HAHA....but I will be starting in the field, they start all their new guys there so they can get a feeling for what goes on (even though I have been there, most other college grads have not)...I will become certified on atleast 2 pieces of equipment, normally this would be roller and rock truck but because of my background they are telling me i will be getting certified on more "skilled" equipment...hopefully 345 and D8...

i will say this company is HUGE...does a lot of government work as well as private commercial/residentual/industrial work....it is a great oppurtunity for me to not only get my PE but also get into the field almost every day of the week and get my feet dirty

this company is the largest owner of GPS equipment on the east coast too.....

no lazer levels for them..HAHA

i am super excited to start....i might celebrate by buying myself a new truck:weightlifter:

Junior M
12-14-2008, 02:19 AM
So whats goin to happen with the job your at now? Just goin to quit and leave it behind, I thought you said something about running it in a few years a while back?

Dirt Digger2
12-14-2008, 02:28 AM
the job i am at now is a very small company...it really sucks because we are all essentially family...my boss over the years has told me to drop school and work for him full time, but i want the education

i have reached as high as i can go there, equipment operator/truck driver....this new company i can gain the experience from running big jobs as well as get my Professional Engineers license...i don't have the opportunity to do that at the present company...its very tough for me to do because i know at the new job i wont be on iron everyday, but i will be around it...BIG stuff too....my present company is very well aware of the fact i need to branch out and learn so the owner and his wife are very understanding, its just a bad situation to have to choose...but in the long run...and no offense to anyone on here...but you don't need a college education to run iron, since i have it i might as well advance it

plus i might get a company truck/fuel card at this new job in a year or two...haha

Junior M
12-14-2008, 02:30 AM
the job i am at now is a very small company...it really sucks because we are all essentially family...my boss over the years has told me to drop school and work for him full time, but i want the education

i have reached as high as i can go there, equipment operator/truck driver....this new company i can gain the experience from running big jobs as well as get my Professional Engineers license...i don't have the opportunity to do that at the present company...its very tough for me to do because i know at the new job i wont be on iron everyday, but i will be around it...BIG stuff too....my present company is very well aware of the fact i need to branch out and learn so the owner and his wife are very understanding, its just a bad situation to have to choose...but in the long run...and no offense to anyone on here...but you don't need a college education to run iron, since i have it i might as well advance it

plus i might get a company truck/fuel card at this new job in a year or two...haha
Very good points, well atleast you thought it out and didnt go get all that learning for nothing like most seem to do. I hope everything works out and good luck..

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Congratulations, I bet it feels good to have stuff lined up. You'll miss that pretty Pete though.

kreft
12-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Sweet job! That company reminds me of AI.

Scag48
12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Nice! Everyone says running big stuff is boring, I beg to differ. 400's and up is where it's at! Haha. I think I have a good idea of who you're working for, but I won't spill the beans.

raschmid07
12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Congrats on landing the job. Hearing that makes me feel a little better about me finding one here in about 2 years, although this economy is still scaring me concerning the construction industry in the next couple of years. Maybe the Messiah's infrastructure plan will pan out and revive it.

Dirt Digger2
12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
i don't think you will have any problems in 2 years...

but to ease your mind any, i turned down 3 other companies before i got this offer...

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
If your getting a degree in engineering you might aswell go with a company that you can use your schooling at.

A engineer makes alot more money than a lever puller :laugh: