PDA

View Full Version : Open cab vs Closed cab Mini Excavator

NEUSWEDE
12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Searching for a mini excavator and I'm on the fence of enclosed vs open cab. My 35D was open cab and was great for visibility but still got wet on rainy days and working in mud it went every where. Closed cab would be better for working on colder and rainy days but more things to break.
Looking for an 8k machine and will hold on to this one for awhile just looking for others thoughts. Leaning towards a Kubota.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I dont know which brand, but after using an open rops mini and then having a backhoe with a cab I would most definetly go with the cab. the operator is usually alot more productive in an air conditioned cab than in an open rops machine..

RockSet N' Grade
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Having a cab is worth all the tea in China........I would never ever buy one again without a cab.....same with all my equipment. For me, it has been minimal maintenance.......and what would be the additional $ amount on the loan per month...$50-$75 tops? Well worth it.....I don't like mud, dust, dirt, bee stings, rocks, tree branches, or other people up on the machine with me unless invited. Once you have a cab, you will wonder how you ever lived without one........just ask KSSS :) :) :)

AWJ Services
12-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Down here you can get by without a cab.Up there no way.

I have a Kx-161 and really like it.

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Cab, no if's and's or but's here, you're a pussy if you go with an OROPS here.

kreft
12-14-2008, 04:32 PM
I vote cab

Dirtman2007
12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Open cab on all my mini's, I go through the woods and can't imagine how many busted windows I would have by now if they had cabs. Plus It's a tight squeeze if your bigger than a midget.

AWJ Services
12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
The Kubota has a nice size cab.I am 6'1" 230 so I need some room.
I do use mine in the woods as well.
Either a limb through the rops upside your head, yellow jackets, Mosquitoss or a broke window.:dizzy:

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 05:54 PM
If you want to use the machine 365 days a year you need a cab. A open ROPS machine is horrible even in the summer time the sun beats down on you the windows on a cab give you some protection.

A cab is worth ever penny.

ksss
12-14-2008, 05:56 PM
If you work where it gets cold your a fool if you go without a cab. I know I tried. Working in minus 30 - 40 below zero about sucked the life out of me (not to mention the heat). The thing is if your buying used the resale on a cab will certainly all come back to you when you go to sell. Buying new I discovered that you get the half the cost of the cab back at resale. If your buying a bigger mini ex it is especially important. Your able to work longer and more comfortably. The bigger machines are able to work in the frost conditions, with a cab you can take advantage of that. Prior to a cab I dreaded having to work in miserable conditions. Its not an issue now.

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 06:04 PM
A machine with a cab you don't have to eat deep brown baked beans for lunch for the warming efects they provide 20 minutes later :laugh:

The worse operating conditions here is wind driven rain. With a open ROPs your cold and getting soaked in a short period of time.

minimax
12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I say cab all the way, I have 3 cab machines.I have only broke one window and that was when I was towing the machine and had a crow take out the back window on my CTL:hammerhead:And if anybody works in the woods a lot on here it is me!

minimax

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 06:33 PM
If you have ever had a cedar or fir branch, mainly cedar branch smack you in the face working in a forested/treed area your going to want a cab on your machine.

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
For anyone that is in a colder climate, I think the cab is golden.

NEUSWEDE
12-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the input that is what I was leaning towards the 35D I had with open cab was ok but like stated wasnt fun to run when raining. Won't use it much in the winter and I hate A/C but I think it will be better.

I am going used. Alot of financing deals with new but the price tags are high have found a lot of used ones with under 200 hours going very cheap. So I will take advantage of the bad economy and find a good deal. Not many used takeuchi's around.

wellbuilt
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I would like a cab but i don't have them on my Ex or skid I just dig on nice days . Its not my main business. Last year i had some cold days .

MJM316
12-14-2008, 07:21 PM
i do not have a mini so really have no reason to post but i have talked to a few guys that really prefer no cab because of visibility...what are your thoughts on that. just playing devils advocate

Junior M
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
i do not have a mini so really have no reason to post but i have talked to a few guys that really prefer no cab because of visibility...what are your thoughts on that. just playing devils advocate
I've ran both, and I prefer the cab, your alot more comfortable in a cab than you are on an open rops machine, especially in july and august. But both are goin to have there pro's and con's..

ksss
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
The glass flips up and the door locks open (TK). I don't really see visibility being lost.

As far as brand, I think most all will get the job done, some better than others but I would find your best deals then research that brand and decide if it will work.

jefftb
12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Waaay up north, and you are up there; I know, I've been to Acadia NP many times, along with Nova Scotia and that longest bridge between the two provinces, I even have a Maine town named after me:rolleyes:, no really, I do.

My words....cab, cab, cab, cab, cab. Crap, have I said it enough? If not, CAB!

You are always more productive in climate extremes-cold or hot as it generally is for us here in the South.

The cab does not just nearly pay for itself by the time you add in increased productivity and resale-it pays plus a return. This obviously assumes you use the machine nearly year round-or a 85% climate usage factor.

Holycrap man (thanks Jr.!), CAB.

Short story as example. We just bought a small, brand new Komatsu PC35MR-3 earlier this year. Debated about cab or open, our larger machines are all cab as most are. I personally took this mini-ex into a cramped section of the woods to excavate for a utility electric service.

This is no lie, I had the doors/windows open in early fall, with the first scoop I hit a ground based yellow jacket nest. They came boiling out of there mad as h*ll. I saw them, stopped, closed the windows and doors, turned the AC on, and spent the next hour with yellow jackets swarming the machine while I excavated the primary electric service 42" deep.

Nice.

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't see any difference in visability with a open rops over a cab.

CAT powered
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I had a guy a long time ago that worked for me who hated EROPS machines. He b*tched like hell when I put him in an EROPS dozer. I had him operating a dozer down in a nice big hole I'd dug so while he was doing that I took the doors off his truck. By the way when I say big hole I mean 60,000 yards of material dug out. When he got out he had a "What the f*ck?!" moment so I told him he'd get better visibility in an OROPS truck. Needless to say he was NOT happy. Oh well. I was his boss. He couldn't do nothin.

jefftb
12-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I had a guy a long time ago that worked for me who hated EROPS machines. He b*tched like hell when I put him in an EROPS dozer. I had him operating a dozer down in a nice big hole I'd dug so while he was doing that I took the doors off his truck. By the way when I say big hole I mean 60,000 yards of material dug out. When he got out he had a "What the f*ck?!" moment so I told him he'd get better visibility in an OROPS truck. Needless to say he was NOT happy. Oh well. I was his boss. He couldn't do nothin.

:clapping::clapping:Thumbs Up

To be remembered....