PDA

View Full Version : Quiting Time !!!! Tired of cleaning tracks !

Construct'O
12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Been fighting mud all year.The last two weeks it has been wet and warmer after a cold spell.Today that all changed!!!!!! There was around 6" of frost in places to nonebut that will be changing.Will have a foot or more by this time tomorrow night.

Went from 40 degrees to 13 degrees in about 2 hours.Wind is blowing with gust up to 45 miles an hour,we might miss the snow.They was forecasting it to hit today so was busy trying to finish up jobs yesterday that i had started and getting things moved home.

Didn't get one of the trenchers home,but got everything else here.Was going to get trencher today,but had to road it 6 miles home and the wind and cold was to much ,without a cab.So it gets to stay where it is looks like.

For the other stuff some will get put inside ,the other will get left out.Buildings are never big enough seems like.Topped machines off with fuel,checked things over,cleaned tracks some more ,but was freezing fast.Put fuel on the blades to keep them from rusting for now.

So has anyone else called it good for the year yet? I still had a backlog of work and even had a guy call yesterday wanting a job done the last minute.Imagine that:rolleyes:Hopefully they will wait:confused::usflag:

KCfireman
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Looks like were joining the club too! That artic front just arrived here in Kansas City. Temps plunged very quickly.

bobcat_ron
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
We haven't even hit the slow times yet here, even the traffic flaggers are all lined up.

ksss
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I got my 9020B home on Friday. Good thing, Winter came hard and fast this weekend. Everything else is home. I have a couple small jobs that need to do weather permitting. Now it looks like moving snow will be the order of the day. Wanting to pull the trigger on a Quick Attach HF snow blower, but I think I will see how the snow progresses before I lay out the 7K.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Do you farm to? I see that grain wagon in the barn..

Why 3 dozers? What models are they?

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I've been done for some time. The weather has been really cold, usually we taper off but it was kinda quick this year. Cut up some of the trees from my fence row clearing yesterday and increased my carbon footprint.

How fast does your big trencher go?

Junior M
12-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey! I just noticed, I am not the only guy that likes Dodge around here! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/woohoo-022.gif

all ferris
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Finished up on friday in the mud. I am waiting for it to snow. We are still on the warm side of the front for now. However they are predicting about 1/2" of ice here tonight. I thing tomorrow I will make sure everything is ready to go for the snow. I've got one pave patio I might try to do this winter if we have a thaw. I was considering bidding on some ROW work (gas pipe line) but after much consideration I passed on it. They wanted all the work done from January 1st to April 15th and it just seems like the weather and ground conditions during that time are unfavorable. Let some other poor sap do that work.

Construct'O
12-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Do you farm to? I see that grain wagon in the barn..

Why 3 dozers? What models are they?

Why three,was because had more to get done then i could do with the two that i own.The older one was mine ,but sold it to farmer this spring then he let me use it this fall to help out with all the work that i had to do in return for me doing work for him in return for use of the dozer:dancing:.

The farming operation is my hobby( family farm),since the construction bus has to pay the bills.Also have some mooooooooo cows.You have to do a dozen things to make a living now does.You can't just be happy in your comfort zone doing one thing.

You have to be diversified,more so in hard time then in good.Can't put all your eggs in one basket,your from the country you should know that.Right:confused:

You have to be working and thinking 24/7 and have some luck,more luck,seems sometimes then work:confused:

Dozers are Cat(D6R,D6H, D6C(farmers),pickup there is Dodge,but also have a Ford pickup and a Chevy car(Old Chevy Nova Sports Coupe), Deere skid and mini,so it's what every works for you and how well you take care of it, then what brand it is.Service like said before is worth alot.

The other trencher is slow on the road and the weather changed so fast that i didn't have time to go get it this morning, down two miles of mud roads bsides.Plus went to church and by the time i got out the temps was really dropping.

I wanted to get my other equipment put up also,just not enough time or help.Since my helperz was off deer hunting(plus Sunday).They did show up after most everything was done.Got them to hay the MOOOOOOO !:) i was froze out !!!!!!!!! :usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Simple enough here.......we are done and put away.....its snow time.

RockSet N' Grade
12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
constructo........you got beef or milkers?

Junior M
12-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Why three,was because had more to get done then i could do with the two that i own.The older one was mine ,but sold it to farmer this spring then he let me use it this fall to help out with all the work that i had to do in return for me doing work for him in return for use of the dozer:dancing:.

The farming operation is my hobby( family farm),since the construction bus has to pay the bills.Also have some mooooooooo cows.You have to do a dozen things to make a living now does.You can't just be happy in your comfort zone doing one thing.

You have to be diversified,more so in hard time then in good.Can't put all your eggs in one basket,your from the country you should know that.Right:confused:

You have to be working and thinking 24/7 and have some luck,more luck,seems sometimes then work:confused:

Dozers are Cat,pickup there is Dodge,but also have a Ford pickup and a Chevy car(Old Chevy Nova Sports Coupe), Deere skid and mini,so it's what every works for you and how well you take care of it, then what brand it is.Service like said before is worth alot.

The other trencher is slow on the road and the weather changed so fast that i didn't have time to go get it this morning, down two miles of mud roads bsides.Plus went to church and by the time i got out the temps was really dropping.

I wanted to get my other equipment put up also,just not enough time or help.Since my helperz was off deer hunting(plus Sunday).They did show up after most everything was done.Got them to hay the MOOOOOOO !:) i was froze out !!!!!!!!! :usflag:
Oh, yeah, thats why I am taking care of horses, helping a guy process and skin deer, and helping him with his little backhoe business, and if it really comes down to it I can go get some work from my landscaper buddy.

I would love to have a little farm, thats my cousins plans when he pays off his truck, and then I'll spend the summer helping him get his place up and running and then taking care of it..

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Winter has hit here finally getting some cold weather. It doesn't matter its not stopping any work from happening there is absolutely no work happening. You can work 365 days a year in the lower corner of B.C.

One of the equipment parts supplier was asking me what in the h*ll happened its like somebody closed the door on the work. All the contractors are doing very little to nothing he can't believe how bad its gotten in such a short period of time.

There is more equipment sitting because the serious lack of work maybe in february things will pick up it may not be till May/June things get going again. Nobody knows it may not improve till 2010. The excavation business isn't a business to be in. It is at the point now the contractors will hand over the keys to the repo man with no arguements. I don't even think the contractors care anymore just take the loss and start over again some may not even start over just get out of the business entirely. Tell the equipment dealers come and get your machines we can't pay for them anymore.

Ohwell what can you do if your laid off and un-employeed its just the way it goes your laid off till further notice. No construction no work simple as that no other industry but residential construction.

Atleast I'am working thats all what counts in my mind. I really like it that people are jealous that I'am working and they are sitting at home not making any money. Oh well you wanted to be in the construction industry now your paying for it. Better get used to eating bread and water every day because thats all your going to afford. People thought the construction boom was going to last for ever not a chance. :drinkup:

BIGBEN2004
12-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I never knew places were cold enough that you just stopped digging for the winter. I live in a climate were it gets cold but not that cold that we can't work. I have had to use a rock hammer on the track hoe to break the ground to dig basements but that is rare around here. We are still final grading yards and they are laying sod still for now. It is not easy fine grading when it gets cold at night and the yard has a 6" layer of frozen ground but we manage to get them graded up good enough for them to lay sod.

ksss
12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I never knew places were cold enough that you just stopped digging for the winter. I live in a climate were it gets cold but not that cold that we can't work. I have had to use a rock hammer on the track hoe to break the ground to dig basements but that is rare around here. We are still final grading yards and they are laying sod still for now. It is not easy fine grading when it gets cold at night and the yard has a 6" layer of frozen ground but we manage to get them graded up good enough for them to lay sod.

Try 5 feet of frost. Hello ground heater.

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 09:36 PM
It has gotten cold enough where the equipment wouldn't start.

I think anybody in the Lower Corner of B.C. ie anything from Vancouver island and eastward to Abbotsford and as far north as Squamish if it gets colder than minus 5 celcius or 23 degrees farenheit its too cold. We are used to rain and wearing gum boots and rain gear.

In the winter put on the long underwear and the stanfields (grey wool sweater).

Construct'O
12-14-2008, 09:44 PM
constructo........you got beef or milkers?

The moooooooo's across the road in the background is what they look like.Hopefully their good eating.!!!!!!

GR i have backup plan!!!!!!!! if things get to bad at least i can get eat my way out of business:drinkup::usflag:

Construct'O
12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Left out the MOOOOOOOOOO's !:laugh:

Gravel Rat
12-14-2008, 10:03 PM
For some people christmas is going to suck onkey balls because people have been laid off and no extra money to buy their kids presents or do anything. When you have a familly of 4 and your gone from living off of 3500-4000 a month to 1000 dollars a month. All I hope for is people don't start loosing their houses because they can't make payments that would really suck.

If you want a job there is nothing out there even the 8.50 dollar per hour minimum wage jobs are gone.

I don't think people want the cold weather they can't afford the electric bill or pay the oil and propane suppliers for fuel for the furnace. There will be a few famillies wearing winter clothes in their house to save on the heating costs. People can't even afford to buy firewood or go out and cut firewood. I would go back in the wood business if people were buying firewood. Not many people have the 150 dollars for a cord of wood.

Luckly winter only lasts 2-3 weeks. It is a later start this year.

Mowingman
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
We work all winter, and, sometimes we really do get tough winters. Nothing like you guys up north get though. I have about another month pushing in old stock ponds with a D6R. Tomorrow it will be 18 in the morning and we will probably see 32 for a high. Sleet or ice predicted for late Tues. night. Just makes things more fun. At least the ice might kill the dust some.
Have a nice restful winter up there. I wish we could get a break for a couple of months.

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
It kinda is nice to have some down time but I would like to be still going at it, want to make some benjis. I want to go shopping.:)

MJM316
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
I know some of the big excavating companies up here refuse to start their equip. when it gets about -10 F its just to expensive when things start to break. We havn't had that yet but its probably coming this week from the looks of it:cry:

ksss
12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
It kinda is nice to have some down time but I would like to be still going at it, want to make some benjis. I want to go shopping.:)

Yea except for snow removal work, the money slows down but the bills keep coming.

Junior M
12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Dad would shut down in Ohio in Part of December and most of Janurary but when he was working during the winter he would put a hammer on one 331 and dig with the other if he had to get a job done, if he didnt have to do that he wouldnt..

stuvecorp
12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Yea except for snow removal work, the money slows down but the bills keep coming.

That's the big problem.

I like snow removal but for some reason nobody wants to make money doing it.:hammerhead: I looked around a little this summer for accounts but I refuse to go backwards on what I charge.

ConstructO, where are you in Iowa?

ksss
12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
That's the big problem.

I like snow removal but for some reason nobody wants to make money doing it.:hammerhead: I looked around a little this summer for accounts but I refuse to go backwards on what I charge.

Same here. The only way I can make money at it is to do the haul off and to subcontract to others who plow out the large apartment complexes. The blower can make big money but you need a lot of snow before that is really feasible. Some years it comes others it does not. Getting paid is an even greater challenge than getting the work initially. I'll bet this year will be even worse. Businesses are hurting and if its a big snow years, they are really going to be tight.

P.Services
12-14-2008, 11:10 PM
i still have to move about 6,000 yards of clay with the 332 and kodiak, i hope the ctl will be able to dig threw the frost to get to soft dirt. this is my first winter with the machine so i dont know what to expect. if the 332 cant do it then im going to rent a 644j.

after thats done its going to go an hour south to do a nice little tree service/landclearing job.

J. Peterson Grading
12-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I wrapped it up last wednesday. Now its time to plow snow (Not like we haven't been doing that already) and some Misc repair work. (re-decking blower trailer) and most likely mixing and piling MORE salt sand tommorrow or tuesday.

I couldn't convince a large customer to let us start thier project this winter. So looks like a busy spring.

So good luck to all you guys that still get to play in the dirt every day. Its break time for me. lol

Constructo. Were in SW IA are you located. My sister lives in Greenfield.

J.

Construct'O
12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
That's the big problem.

I'm about 130 miles soutwest of Ames where you got your tires.100 miles to Des Moines,75 to Omaha,about same to St. Joe,Mo.Missouri is just about 15 miles on south where i do work across state line,use to live on stateline,Laplander:)

As far as working frost screw that!!!!!!!!! Never made any money doing that.Try grading 12" frozen clads around.Every go back and check your work after you used frost to build anything.Settled about a ft. when the frost goes out.

That's why you always see those sidewalks, steps, going into those new fancy home built during the winter months leaning off to the side or crack between house door about six inches six months later.Plus cement cracks to hell, after the frost goes out,from the frost that was used to backfill around the footing.

No thanks! i don't need to do it twice(don't need the practice) getting paid once is hard enough.:usflag:

Construct'O
12-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I wrapped it up last wednesday. Now its time to plow snow (Not like we haven't been doing that already) and some Misc repair work. (re-decking blower trailer) and most likely mixing and piling MORE salt sand tommorrow or tuesday.

I couldn't convince a large customer to let us start thier project this winter. So looks like a busy spring.

So good luck to all you guys that still get to play in the dirt every day. Its break time for me. lol

Constructo. Were in SW IA are you located. My sister lives in Greenfield.

J.

40 miles southwest of Greenfield,30 from Creston:usflag:

AWJ Services
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Supposed the be 70 here this week.
Might have too get the shorts back out and find my flip flops.

stuvecorp
12-15-2008, 12:59 AM
i still have to move about 6,000 yards of clay with the 332 and kodiak, i hope the ctl will be able to dig threw the frost to get to soft dirt. this is my first winter with the machine so i dont know what to expect. if the 332 cant do it then im going to rent a 644j.

after thats done its going to go an hour south to do a nice little tree service/landclearing job.

I can send you a Topkick tandem to speed that up.:)

stuvecorp
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Same here. The only way I can make money at it is to do the haul off and to subcontract to others who plow out the large apartment complexes. The blower can make big money but you need a lot of snow before that is really feasible. Some years it comes others it does not. Getting paid is an even greater challenge than getting the work initially. I'll bet this year will be even worse. Businesses are hurting and if its a big snow years, they are really going to be tight.

It's frustrating for me because snow is probably what I do best but the market is moving away from me.

ConstructO, it was more hilly than I thought along I35. I thought it was very flat? Otherwise it looks just like home but with less trees.

ccstrebe
12-15-2008, 01:46 AM
We have only two seasons in this part of Arizona..........the hot time of the year and the not as hot time of the year. We have no idea what cold is, it is a foreign concept, we think fifty degrees is cold, it rarely gets into the thirties and if it does it is only during the night.