PDA

View Full Version : Fixing tire ruts

ceebs1424
12-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Hey i wanted to know the best way to fix and repair tire ruts and how much it would cost. Goes about 75-100 yards maybe even more and they get as deep as 2 ft and at least 1 ft. The ground is also frozen. here are some pics.

ryry278
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow umm hope you did not do that and now gonna have to get it fixed. Might have to rent a small tractor and grade a pile of dirt out over it. But that sucks either way

STIHL GUY
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
wow those are some serious ruts

Jerry Lee
12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
id get a tracked skidsteer so theres not another mishap like that, than get a load of dirt and fix the problem. lol we did that once, loading the 26" goose with trees over the winter after that huge ice storm hit us, anyway it begun to rain and it poured for about 20 min and that was enough to get the trailer stuck at the account we were doing, but it didnt help there was an idiot driving the truck and he stopped for some reason and that caused the load to sink in a low spot where the water collected.

ceebs1424
12-14-2008, 09:01 PM
this was something someone asked me to fix so it wasent our fault it was a trucker trying to load something for the company

Puddle of Oil
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
holy cow man what did u do? what i would do is flatten as much of it as you can then fill it in with dirt/topsoil! heck just dump a load of dirt down then spread it out with a garden rake! good luck man!

STIHL GUY
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
well at least it wasnt you that made the ruts

ceebs1424
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
anyone have any estimates for a price?

hackitdown
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd wait until spring, until it thaws. Then wait some more until it dries up and gets firm. Rent a small Kubota and flatten what you can with the bucket (and a shovel and rakes) and then re-grade everything with some loam. Seed/fert/roll/water.

hackitdown
12-14-2008, 09:14 PM
anyone have any estimates for a price?

Determine how many hours, multiply by your rate. Add in materials and costs.

MCMURRAYHARDSCAPES
12-14-2008, 09:18 PM
fill it in with clay.

ed2hess
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Some of the responses are kinda funny....take some big piece of equipment in there to repair ruts:hammerhead: Take a pick and pull the compressed ruts back up and push the high stuff down. Then simply wheel barrow some dirt to cover it over...we fix a lot of them all time where big trucks run over some curbed areas.

David Haggerty
12-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Wait for the ground to thaw. Then you could mash most of it out with a hand tamper and your feet.
Pick some nasty spring day when the ground is freshly thawed, maybe a rainy day. That muck will be like wet concrete. Just smooth it out, don't over work it or it'll get hard as a brick!
Then after it dries you can add any fill if it still needs it.

I'd price it "time & materials". If they want a quote, ask them "how good do you want it?" "Seeded & mulched will be a bit more. To get it where you can drive a mower over it would take a couple of guys all day.

hackitdown
12-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Some of the responses are kinda funny....take some big piece of equipment in there to repair ruts:hammerhead: Take a pick and pull the compressed ruts back up and push the high stuff down. Then simply wheel barrow some dirt to cover it over...we fix a lot of them all time where big trucks run over some curbed areas.

I think it is 75 to 100 yards long. A pick might take a while. And it might take a bit of time with a wheelbarrow. Maybe the ruts looks bigger to me. I say go with a machine!

Two Seasons
12-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Wait for the ground to thaw. Then you could mash most of it out with a hand tamper and your feet.
Pick some nasty spring day when the ground is freshly thawed, maybe a rainy day. That muck will be like wet concrete. Just smooth it out, don't over work it or it'll get hard as a brick!
Then after it dries you can add any fill if it still needs it.

I'd price it "time & materials". If they want a quote, ask them "how good do you want it?" "Seeded & mulched will be a bit more. To get it where you can drive a mower over it would take a couple of guys all day.

This is EXACTLY what we've done in the past. Probably need some seeding to get it right. And probably take most of the season before it all blends in again and isn't bumpy.

ElephantNest
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd plant corn in them.

Junior M
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Dad use to do repair ruts with a 753 bobcat, the only reason they were there because it was wet, just take some good topsoil and spread it out, grade it out, and then put some grass seed and straw on it, When Dad did it he just dug that all up, put the dirt back, graded it out, and ran the rockhound over it, he didnt bring in fill because he didnt own a dump and he worked for the co-op so they didnt care how well it got cleaned up. there wont be any ruts if you do it the right way.

Thats funny, take a big piece of equipment in there to fix ruts :laugh: tell me what you would rather do it with, a wheel barrow and shovel or a skid?

JDKSERVLLC
04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
ceebs1424, Did you do the job? If so, how did you do it, how long did it take, and how did you quote it, flate rate, T&M??