PDA

View Full Version : Job Estimating Sheet and Actual Job Cost Sheet

EgansCountryGardens
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Okay guys, here is a program that I've been working on that is excel based. You'll see at the bottom of the screen it has two pages. The first page is for the original estimate company records only, the second page is so you can job cost the job at the end, and see what you really made. I even have on the second sheet, an area for commission for a sales person, as I pay my sales person on a commision of the profit of the job.

Now on the "Job Cost " sheet, pay no attention to the error formula in the box at the bottom for profit margin. It will correct itself as you enter the numbers. Also in the "profit margin" box, it is not in percent. it is .__ You have to move the decimal place over two places. For example .37 = 37%. In the "commission of profit" box, you have to enter also in decimal form the percent of profit that you intend to give your salesperson. For example, I pay my sales person 30% of profit, so I enter it as .30

My pay is based out of my company overhead that is approx. $950 per day for my approx. 140 working day season. This pays all my utilities, rent, insurance, my pay, and secretary for season. Make sense?

It is really a simple program. All you have to enter is your material name, quantities and unit prices. The program figures out the rest.

You may be better off printing it first before you enter anything, this way you can see how it all looks when done. Again, this is not to give to the customer as an estimate, just for your records so that you know what sort of profit margin you are running on your jobs.

I hope this helps some guys, this took me a few years to actually perfect. And the best part is that its free for you guys. :)
I also included a sample estimate that I have done.

EgansCountryGardens
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry, I'm trying to upload the program, but it's not letting me. Let me try this......

This is not working, does anybody know how to upload an excel file. It is saying that it is invalid. Is it not possible???

RhinoL&L
12-16-2008, 08:28 AM
im not sure why it wont let you load it... but if you cant could you send it to me in an email? smileyrine@yahoo.com

thanks

EgansCountryGardens
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I sent that email to you.

RhinoL&L
12-16-2008, 08:52 PM
thanks that is a nice spreadsheet. did you set it up yourself? that is good!

Tyler7692
12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
EgansGardens,

I sent you a PM, wondering if I could check out your program as well?

Thanks,
Tyler

EgansCountryGardens
12-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I set it up myself. The most important thing is to make sure that you include your overhead into your estimates. This way, you cover all your bills. The profit of course should be after your overhead, and after paying yourself. You are an employee of your company just like any other employees you have. The profit is for the company's future.

I've got a few more bugs to work out, but overall it works really good. Thanks.

audubonlandscape
12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd love to have a coopy of that as well! Thanks. audubonlandscape@hotmail.com

AJ Lawnscapes
12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Just change the extention from XLS to JPG

If you can't see the extention, open the folder that it's in, at the top click on Tools - Folder Options - View -- Show Hidden Files an Folders should have the bullet in it, and below that Hide Extentions for Known File Types should be UN-checked. -- then OK (you only need to ever do this once, as it's a system wide change)

Then if you right click on the file, select RENAME, and you should be able to change the extention. Say OK to changing it.

Upload it here, then anyone that downloads it will have to repeat the steps above to change it back to XLS and view it.

If you don't have MS Office -- you can get OpenOffice at www.openoffice.org -- has the ability to read/write office documents.

Enjoy!

Abe

aqualawn
12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
I would like a copy too. Thanks! info@outdoorsolutionsinc.us

andy'slawncare
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Copy Please! andybirkholz@hotmail.com
Thanks

JodyLee
12-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I would also love to see a copy j.l.landscapes@live.com

Thanks, Jody Lee

1wezil
12-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Okay guys, here is a program that I've been working on that is excel based. You'll see at the bottom of the screen it has two pages. The first page is for the original estimate company records only, the second page is so you can job cost the job at the end, and see what you really made. I even have on the second sheet, an area for commission for a sales person, as I pay my sales person on a commision of the profit of the job.

Now on the "Job Cost " sheet, pay no attention to the error formula in the box at the bottom for profit margin. It will correct itself as you enter the numbers. Also in the "profit margin" box, it is not in percent. it is .__ You have to move the decimal place over two places. For example .37 = 37%. In the "commission of profit" box, you have to enter also in decimal form the percent of profit that you intend to give your salesperson. For example, I pay my sales person 30% of profit, so I enter it as .30

My pay is based out of my company overhead that is approx. $950 per day for my approx. 140 working day season. This pays all my utilities, rent, insurance, my pay, and secretary for season. Make sense?

It is really a simple program. All you have to enter is your material name, quantities and unit prices. The program figures out the rest.

You may be better off printing it first before you enter anything, this way you can see how it all looks when done. Again, this is not to give to the customer as an estimate, just for your records so that you know what sort of profit margin you are running on your jobs.

I hope this helps some guys, this took me a few years to actually perfect. And the best part is that its free for you guys. :)

I must be blind but I do not see anything here to download. please HELP !

tazman
12-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Could I also get a copy of your program emailed to me? pristinelandscape@centurytel.net

Thanks

creative land
12-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi there...
just wondering if you could send a copy my way as well.
cheers
Sherilyn
info@beneathyourfeet.ca

Loadsmasher
12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Please add me to the list!

Thanks,

JD

lodesmasher@yahoo.com

1wezil
12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Please send me a copy . thanks yankepacker@yahoo.com

born2farm
12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
not to be a bug but can i get a copy? brockgoodman_29@hotmail.com

thanks

GreenClips
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
One more! messermatt@yahoo.com
Thanks
-Matt

phasthound
12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Me too, please.
techterra@comcast.net

Rangerpro1253
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! please send me a copy of the excel file.

Rangerpro1253@hotmail.com

thegreek
12-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Could I get a copy of that please georgeb1000@yahoo.com

capnsac
12-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Any chance of getting a copy please?

SaccysLCO@Hotmail.com

Keegan
12-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Can you send me a copy as well?

moriartyslawncare@yahoo.com

Paradise Landscapes
12-26-2008, 08:53 PM
May I have one please?

chmiller1229@yahoo.com

Lucky Star Lawn Care
12-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Add me to the list if you dont mind. Thanks for your time!!
luckystarlawncare@sbcglobal.net

agm
12-27-2008, 12:07 AM
me too.....please? abqgroundsmaintenance@q.com

c landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:34 AM
could i have a copy too please happy holidays
FPFD133@yahoo.com

shade tree landscaping
12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
If your not sick of people asking for a copy yet...can I please get one too!
thomas@shadetree-landscaping.com

thanks!

elite lawns
12-27-2008, 11:31 PM
am i too late may i have a copy please.

EgansCountryGardens
12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I would love to send copies to everyone here. I've actually sent out alot already. But it's just too hard to send them out all the time. If anyone knows how I can post an excel file to this board, please let me know, this way people can download them on their own. Or if someone could post it for me, please let me know, and I would be happy to email it to them. Thanks.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Totally understandable!! Hopefully someone knowshow to post it. Thanks for making this availableto us.:drinkup:

TomberLawn
12-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Okay, I'm testing an upload to see if it works. If it does, I'll tell you how to do it, or you can email it to me and I'll upload it for you.

TomberLawn
12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Okay, well that worked for me. What you need to do is right click on the icon for the file when you open the folder that it is in. Or, if you have it saved to your desktop, just right click on the icon on your desktop. On the menu, you'll see a "Send To" option with a menu that goes out to the right. Select "Compressed (zipped) Folder" on this menu. This will create a zip folder with a compressed version of the file in it. Upload the zipped folder, and it should work. To download, just click the link and then click "Okay". The folder should decompress automatically and be ready to open. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll try to explain it better.

EgansCountryGardens
12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Great. I'll try first thing tomorrow when I get to the office. Thanks.

EgansCountryGardens
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Ok, here goes nothing. I hope this works.*trucewhiteflag*

1wezil
12-29-2008, 06:52 PM
That worked great !

FINELAWNS
12-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I think this is a great thing you are doing,wish You were arround 20 years ago. the new
start-ups dont know what dey are geting in to .(no ofense intended)
by the Youre not payng 29 per yard of stone dust,are You? Thanks great job.
Frank.

DBL
12-29-2008, 08:08 PM
good stuff.....

ECS
12-29-2008, 10:13 PM
EgansCountryGardens, here is one similar to yours that I did in WORKS before I had Excel. This one also has a mileage and gas/fuel table on it to add it into the estimate. If anyone wishes to use it, for those who do not have Excel, feel free to use it.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't have works, are there any Works Viewer programs?

EgansCountryGardens
12-29-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm glad its working for everyone. By the way, yes, I am paying 29 a yard for stonedust. Why is that alot compared to what you are paying. That's the cheapest around me right now.

Coumbe
01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
PRSLawnservice@consolidated.net

Magician1211
01-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Could you sent to me also
scottm1211@verizon.net
Thank you

Lucky Star Lawn Care
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Look at page 4

:hammerhead:

Magician1211
01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Just wanted to say that after three years of trying to figure all that stuff out on my own that all the help from this forum and other doing the same things is great!

A Cut Above25
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Here is a question on that sheet? When you enter the actual job cost, then you enter the amount billed it comes up with a profit margin based of the difference of those numbers. However, isn't there a profit already built in to the amount billed? So shouldn't the true profit be that amount plus the difference? Thanks for sharing your hard work, that was really cool of you.

JKOOPERS
01-02-2009, 10:18 PM
heres the one i use for lawn care estimates

Fiano Landscapes
01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I really like your estimate sheet I have made several estimate sheets over time. The only thing that isn't nessesarily wrong, but I would correct is the way you figure you overhead. I did this for a long time making it a daily charge to attach to estimates. The problem is is that on any job it is easy to miscalculate. I would look at our estimate Vs. actuals and realize that we were losing money doing it this way. I ended up figuring how many man hrs we have in a given year, by how much our annual overhead is. So now we figure our overhead into every hour of labor instead of a daily charge. There is no full proof plan, to be exact, but we did this and noticed we were collecting on a much higher percentage than before. You might even price your way right out of a job that way too! If you have 2 guys on one job, and three guys on another. What is you method for charging your overhead for the day. Do you charge half a day here and there. If you charge an entire day to both, on a small job you might price you way right out of the market. It's to much to keep track of. Figure it into your hourly payroll and you will charge right everytime.

Hope this help you , it did me very much so. If your not collecting all of your overhead it is coming right out of your profits.

Thanks,
Nick

JMLandscaping
01-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Not working for me either I am real interested my email is JMansolillo@verizon.net

thanks in advance

lawnandsnow
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Can I get a copy of that spread sheet? njdeerhunter34@aol.com

Thanks

nikkidavis
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Could you please email me the spreadsheet that you made, I could really use it. My email address is nikkidavis@thecleancrue.com. Thanks so much for your help.

NIKKI

Frontier-Lawn
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
me 3 please david@frontierlawn.biz

1wezil
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
HEY guys look back a few posts someone posted them on here for all to down load and look at ....:hammerhead:

hustler king
03-07-2009, 01:36 PM
IM VERY INTERESTED TO SEE IT AS WELL melaniepemberton@att.net

gmeeks
01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I was wondering if I could still get a copy of this or another one if someone has one. Thanks

xclusive
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I was wondering if I could still get a copy of this or another one if someone has one. Thanks

It is on page 4 in a zip file

datkinsonsr
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Thank you very much!

hustler king
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
I would like a copy as well. Thanks. melaniepemberton@att.net (http://melaniepemberton@att.net)

underESTIMATED
05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the time invested in the spreadsheet!

Glenn Lawn Care
05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
i would also like a copy glennlawncare@yahoo.com

thanks

Vogel-Landscaping
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
could i check it out? dvogel10@comcast.net

Zackster
05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd like a copy also;
jgagel@insightbb.com

underESTIMATED
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
The files are posted here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2666802&postcount=36 (4th page)

It`ll look nice...
10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah I would love to have one of those sheets, I just started a year ago and i really find it hard to do estimates. junet_one@hotmail.com Thank you...

kylesturf
10-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Awsome!! Could u please send it to me kyleshaffer73@yahoo.com
Posted via Mobile Device

smartgardensllc
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Are you still sharing the spreadsheet? Can anyone send to smartgardensllc@gmail.com or kunkelblake@gmail.com

prestigelandscaping7
12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
mantinance estimate template?.. send the spreadsheets to me. tyler@pl-nc.com

205mx
12-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Geeze you guys are assholes. PAGE 4!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

smartgardensllc
12-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your cordial knowledge 205mx

bburger68
01-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Hey there,
Could I have a copy of your excel sheets . I'm helping my son with his lawn business and trying to get ideals,thanks

JContracting
01-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Wow, bringing up a thread that's 6 years old!

They were uploaded but they're zip files so they don't work for those of us that have macs.

bburger68
01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Sorry ,I'm new at this lawnsite and just try to see how it works .I couldn't open those files either. Any ideals

JFGLN
01-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Haha, Someone handy with excel should make these and sell them.

JContracting
01-28-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm very good with excel. I have a per snow event/job P&L that adds up & subtracts income based on ea service as well as lines up all direct costs and figures out the gross profit. As well as an estimate summary sheet & am currently working on a p&L breakdown of the monthly snow accts that lists trigger depth, the rate price, how many visits per mo, then the price that made per visit as well as how many minutes spent onsite & finally the amt made per minute. Ill be doing the same with per visit/hourly snow accts also.

And no, I'm not uploading them! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
01-28-2014, 11:28 PM
I'll sell you one, I'll even make it any color you want.
Posted via Mobile Device