PDA

View Full Version : LCO's using Nutrients Plus in their programs

mrkosar
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Can you please IM me your contact information? I would like to talk to a few owners that have used this product in their programs. I am contemplating using their fertilizers this year or next, but would like to talk with some owners who have experience with it. Please no distributors or salesman from NP.

Thanks

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Can you please IM me your contact information? I would like to talk to a few owners that have used this product in their programs. I am contemplating using their fertilizers this year or next, but would like to talk with some owners who have experience with it. Please no distributors or salesman from NP.

Thanks

I would like some feedback from users as well? I've talked with Barry from Tech-Terra and he sent me some great information on the products, I could forward what info I have to you, PM me your email, and I will forward it.
But would definately like to hear some user results.

MaineFert
12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey guys,
I would be glad to answer any questions as we are end users of Nutrients PLUS. We are also sales reps, but we have been using the product line for all of our lawn care clients for 4 years. You can also IM me with questions and I can tell you how the products respond and spreadability as well. Thanks

Jim

dtally
12-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I too am a user Nutrients Plus, February wiill start season number three with the products. This past season I began to incorporate ICT's products into the program on select customers, again with outstanding results. Nutrients Plus satisified two areas of concern with organic programs, cost and availability. Boy. I should get paid for this testimonial. Contact me and I will tell you where to send the check!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-16-2008, 10:22 AM
can you tell us what your overall experience has been? What products are you currently using? Are you using the same fertilizer year round, or do you mix it up with other products during each season of the year?

NattyLawn
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
I have used all Nutrients Products except for the 20-1-5, 5-8-5 and 5-4-0. We usually mix and match products, but stayed with the 6-2-4, 10-4-2 w/Cavalcade, 4-3-1 and 4-4-2 this year with the price increases. Let me know if you have any questions.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
The sales rep is recommending the "Screamin' Green" 16-2-3 as a year round fertilizer. I live in Southern Oregon, Zone 8. Shouldn't I mix a program up a little instead of using only 1 product? For example a Higher "K" Product as a winterizer?

What's your thoughts on this?

NattyLawn
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
The sales rep is recommending the "Screamin' Green" 16-2-3 as a year round fertilizer. I live in Southern Oregon, Zone 8. Shouldn't I mix a program up a little instead of using only 1 product? For example a Higher "K" Product as a winterizer?

What's your thoughts on this?

Well, I use the 16-2-3 on larger properties and our customers that want the extra N. Do your customers want the extra N or an organic fertilizer? There are a lot of variables in there. Do you use any liquids like compost tea? How many fert apps per year? I generally mix things up, but with higher prices this last year we phased a few products out.

As far as higher K for winterizing, it's generally recommended to add K for root development. But I tend to add seaweed and other bio-stimulants in our fall soil booster. The 7-2-12 is a very nice product, with the added urea giving a quicker green up than the 6-2-4 or 4-3-1.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I do approximately 5 Applications per year. I don't currently use any Organic Products, which is why I'm considering making the switch. I'm still familarizing myself to the organic method and approach vs. the standard chemical sythentic stuff.
No I havne't tried any compost teas or anything similar.
I'm basically in the research phase of switching to Organics or Organic Based, I do like the fact that these Nutrients Plus product have OM, which from what I've read is very beneficial to the lawn & plants.

I'm basically looking for something repeatable, with a nice green up, and at the same time be safe for pets/kids.

Prolawnservice
12-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I've used and really like the 4-4-2 its OMRI approved and we are nofa accredited, so it fits well and works very good, and I have also used 16-2-3. In no way do I sell the products. I can answer whatever questions you might have to the best of my knowledge about those two products. However, IMO If your going to use biosolids anyway, as in the 16-2-3, why not find a local source.

NattyLawn
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
OK then, how does this sound:

Early Spring: 16-2-3 w/Cavalcade
Late Spring: 7-2-12
Early Fall: 16-2-3
Winterizer: 7-2-12

If you don't already do soil testing, I would start. I'm sure you read with organics your building the soil, not feeding the plant. As you start the transition to organics, you might want the soil up to snuff to keep your customers happy and you facing as little grief as possible.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
OK then, how does this sound:

Early Spring: 16-2-3 w/Cavalcade
Late Spring: 7-2-12
Early Fall: 16-2-3
Winterizer: 7-2-12

If you don't already do soil testing, I would start. I'm sure you read with organics your building the soil, not feeding the plant. As you start the transition to organics, you might want the soil up to snuff to keep your customers happy and you facing as little grief as possible.

The only soil testing I've done is for NPK readings, but when you refer to soil testing I assume you mean sending it off to a lab somewhere and have them test whole spectrum of things including OM content and such?

No summer applications? Can you explain? and explain the strategy behind the program mentioned above?

NattyLawn
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
The only soil testing I've done is for NPK readings, but when you refer to soil testing I assume you mean sending it off to a lab somewhere and have them test whole spectrum of things including OM content and such?

No summer applications? Can you explain? and explain the strategy behind the program mentioned above?

Yes, I would use a lab for organic matter, pH and nutrient testing. We use A&L, but there are other labs out there.

We tend to stay away from summer applications of fertilizer here in PA. Green June Beetles love organic matter, but I don't know how your summers are in OR.

I just threw out an example. You might want to stick with the higher N to "transition" the lawns from water soluble N to organic, slow release N. Some lawns transition differently that others depending on the soil. A lot of people on here don't believe in chasing pH or adding lime/gypsum/sulfur as they are salts (and harm microbes among other things), but we are driven by results. We can balance the soil and add soil biology over time. Anyway, you can go with the 16-2-3 w/Cavalcade, and come late spring add a 4-4-2 or 4-3-1 or 6-2-4 and go at a heavier rate (15-20lbs) if you really want to add organic matter. If you want to add a summer application, go with a lower analysis, as you don't want to push the turf too hard in the summer (again, I don't know Oregon summers). Come back in the fall with 16-2-3 and follow that with a 7-2-12 to end the year. A lot of choices.

Prolawnservice
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
If his(or anyone's) soil has an excess of K there is no need to add more, the addition of k to an already excess will encourage weeds and effect calcium and magnesium balance in the soil. Soil testing or knowing your soil is key, why waste money on nutrients that are not needed and may even set you backward a step.

NattyLawn
12-16-2008, 01:50 PM
If his(or anyone's) soil has an excess of K there is no need to add more, the addition of k to an already excess will encourage weeds and effect calcium and magnesium balance in the soil. Soil testing or knowing your soil is key, why waste money on nutrients that are not needed and may even set you backward a step.

OK then Prolawns, you answer his questions. We tend to pick each other apart on this site, but he's new to this side of the business. Try not to complicate things that much at first so we don't drive more people away from this side of the business. You can only hold people's hands so much, at some point you have to grasp the reigns and think/learn for yourself. Thanks for the critique though.

JDUtah
12-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Almost all organic ferts have P and K (usualy a large amount of other nutrients, sometimes non-target nutrients)... so even if you do not need them, you add them...

Is there a straight N organic fert????????

The point of organics is to make do with what you have so you help minimize economic and environmental costs...

New people need to learn the ins and outs as soon as possable because only then will they learn how to balance the pro's and cons for each organic fert and each property...

So learn various ferts (what he is doing) know the soil (what Prolawn was talking about) and use your own wisdom to choose the best fert, if any, for the circumstance (what NattyLawn is talking about with 'think/learn for yourself').

Prolawnservice
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't mind helping when I can, but people have to learn for themselves and decide what level they want to take it to, hopefully my posts encourage people to do so. Sure you can be 100% organic know what your doing and have kick ass landscapes, or you could be a little organic with no clue, just so you can market yourself as organic.

Yes, I do tend to look at the details a little too much maybe, that's what I do, I'm a perfectionist(it annoys me as well). I don't sugarcoat things, I call them like I see them (that tends to annoys others, too bad.) So far the only set of organic standards I've seen for landscapes is published by NOFA, and we do our best to adhere to them.

Its the synthetic mentality that makes everyone think its sooo easy, just switch bags says the salesman, ("then its this organic stuff doesn't work", next its the customers saying so) well there should be some thought put into what you doing rather than just a different bag, that's what I'm saying.:rolleyes:

Prolawnservice
12-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Just basic macro and micro, som is good to know too.

My view on the program above would be to add K to the soil, or sell you four rounds of NP products.
No summer fert because most turf around natty and I is cool season. Therefore its semi dormant in the summer, not an optimum time to feed cool season turf. However fertilizer in the summer is excellent for summer weed growth, hence skipping it.(form of cultural weed discouragement, not feeding them at their optimum growth period)

ICT Bill
12-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Is there a straight N organic fert????????

Hey JD, this paper is pretty dated (1998) and I do believe there are several mis-statements in it because of its age, but it does point out alternate N sources

Who would have thought that leather meal is 10% nitrogen, unfortunely it is also high in Chromium

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/altsoil.pdf

JDUtah
12-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Interesting stuff, who woulda' thunk?

Prolawnservice
12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I know Paul Sachs uses this in some of his blends, and I'm sure many others, it isn't approved by NOFA, however for people not concerned with those guidelines, there is always natural Chilean nitrate @ 16% N.

http://www.naturalnitrogen.com/start/essential

ICT Bill
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I know Paul Sachs uses this in some of his blends, and I'm sure many others, it isn't approved by NOFA, however for people not concerned with those guidelines, there is always natural Chilean nitrate @ 16% N.

http://www.naturalnitrogen.com/start/essential

Pro, sorry to get off topic, I'll stop after this

Chililean nitrate use, for turf, works well for green up in the early spring or in areas where you typically have a cold long spring. It is available RIGHT NOW to the plant. A little goes a long way

If I remember correctly it is basically 1 million years of bird droppings

Prolawnservice
12-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Not passing blame, but I believe it was JD that derailed this thread

JDUtah
12-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Not passing blame, but I believe it was JD that derailed this thread

My bad. my bad *trucewhiteflag*

humble1
10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
nutrients plus is not as dusty as the sustain product, the only thing I cant past is sniffing the bio solid dust (human poop) from Ants area of dirty jersey. (another ls member)
Maybe we all got a little of Ant on our machines.