PDA

View Full Version : Elevator speech?

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Was wondering what you guys tell people when someone asks casually what you do?

The holidays are here and lots of opportunities to network. I've been working on my 10-second "elevator speech"

Beautiful Outdoor Lighting
giving safety and access
to homeowners...
Highlighting architectural features...
warm glow in the garden...
We create a Lighting Portrait

This takes me exactly 10 seconds. Anyone else willing to post theirs?

JoeyD
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Outdoor architectural and outdoor lighting. design and installation. (obviously I dont install anymore) Everything from small residential landscapes up to high end residential and commercial. Nothing but the best materials, longest life quality lamps that highlight true color in the plants and architecture. sometimes a little more or a little less

Mike M
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure why, but I enjoy saying: I cut grass, what do you do? I worked for a guy in my youth who was a merchandiser for Keebler. His degree was in like sociology or something, maybe even his masters, and he told me his wife brought him to a party full of doctors, and he had to go around telling people he sells cookies. I thought that was really awesome.

If this is important to you, why not keep some wallet-sized pics of your best work on you? Another thing I do is refer them to street addresses, and tell them to look at night when it's all lit-up.

I don't like the one-liners. Probably just me. I can't deliver them. Other than "I cut grass." I'd rather find out more about them, and the lighting design usually gets in there somehow. At that point, I'll mention the stuff Joey just said.

Pro-Scapes
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I design and install high end landscape and architectual lighting systems or I am an outdoor lighting designer and hand them a card.

If they remotely care about what you do they will ask more. Make it clear and easy to rememeber what it is you do. If you give too much info in such a short period it will become gibberish and sound like an infomercial.

NightLightingFX
12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I pretty much agree with Billy. Except my cards are a billboard for my work. The front and back have pictures of my work. I give them my card and tell them to check out my website.
~Ned

TXNSLighting
12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow that card looks very nice.

Mike M
12-16-2008, 06:54 AM
That's an awesome business card. Pic's and a professional logo go a long way.

JoeyD
12-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Very nice card Ned!

steveparrott
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Great topic. Just read an article that relates to this about listening.

The article makes the point that when newly-met people ask you what you do, they really don't want to intiate a conversation where you give them a sales pitch - they don't trust you enough and fear that you will pressure or annoy them.

The author advises that you need to establish the relationship first - hard to do in an elevator, but if can somehow convey the impression that you are more interested in the other person than yourself, that you're willing to listen and empathize, then you might slip in a quick comment on what you do and hand over the business card.

In fact, getting the other person's business card is just as important as giving your own.

Here's the article: http://trustedadvisor.com/cgreen.articles/45/The-Point-of-Listening-is-Not-What-You-Hear--but-the-Listening-Itself.

JoeyD
12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Very Smart!! Its reverse psychology!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Years ago I was told: "You should never offer someone your business card. Instead wait for them to ask for it, or better still, ask for one of theirs." I have never forgotten this advice.

Chris J
12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I give my business card to anyone I meet. I don't push on them what I do, I rather look at it as an introduction of myself. You never know who is going to need your service, so the more you "introduce" yourself, the more known you are going to become.
Books are good, but sometimes I just don't like to get caught up in all the cliches (spelling) Books won't teach you everything. Some things are just plain common sense. I really loath highly educated college individuals. Most of them can create a nuclear submarine on paper, but don't have enough common sense to flip a breaker when their lights go out or record a movie on the (outdated) VHS.

The Lighting Geek
12-17-2008, 01:05 AM
I just tell people I am a lighting geek, I get excited about new light bulbs. They laugh, I laugh with them. It is very disarming and fun.

LightYourNight
12-17-2008, 02:19 AM
Along with the standard I do outdoor lighting info. I make sure to mention that my company is using LED and energy efficient lamps. Explaining that the technology is advancing and the prices will fall. This hopefully will get me outdoor and indoor LED lamp business in the future as prices fall and LEDs are more widely used.

Mike M
12-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I know we need to describe what we do in few words sometimes, but we need to call it something other than elevator speech. Sounds like a horrific scenario, some guy selling me something while I'm stuck in a confined place. Combo of elevator music and someone lecturing me.

I was in a grocery store once and they had an elevator version of a grateful dead song. Kinda freaked me out, man. Didn't know what was going on for a moment.

David Gretzmier
12-28-2008, 01:09 AM
I recently attended a seminar and read a book about self marketing power. the book suggests many things, but one of which that is very powerful is attending social and charity events where your potential clients will attend. Introducing yourself and handing out your card is critical at these events and you have maybe 15 seconds to make a favorable or unfavorable impression. My cards are front and back fold out style and have 3 photo's, one of Christmas lights and 2 of landscape lights. the answer to -what do you do ?

I own an outdoor lighting company specializing in uplighting homes and beautiful Christmas lighting. I have also been the Christmas light safety guy on channel 40/29 news for 4 years now. here's my card that has a few pictures of what we do. what do you do?

the channel 40/29 news thing perks thier interest. almost everyone asks what I cover on TV and I mention electrical safety, ladder safety, roof safety, etc. The Christmas light thing is interesting enough to get attention, and then I lead them to what I do the rest of the year.

I make sure I ask what they do, because many folks are at these event like I am, to market themselves- politicians fit in this category.

NiteTymeIlluminations
12-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Don't ofer a business card?...yup...another way to sell a book...if you dont walk into ever opportunity you're presented with than you're nuts!!! I present myself ever chance I get to people all over and I'll tell you what...I'm very happy where I ended up and heading toward!!!!

Lite4
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I tell them.."Exterior lighting designer", if they ask.

klkanders
01-02-2009, 02:24 AM
I agree with the many here who answer the question they were asked. What do you do?
I respond " I am in the landscaping business...we do desgin, installs, tree moving and I also do landscaping lighting on my own." I offer a card if possible then ask what they do in return and try to comment on it if time allows.
Ned thats an awesome card!

Keith

Lite4
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree with Ned, having a business card that says it all is key. Here is mine. I figuired keep it simple, keep it clean.

Lawn-Scape
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Hello Mr. DiGiovanni ,

I went to the gallery to view pics of your companies work. Looking at the backyard pictures I see some of the most beautiful and inviting places to spend a cool summers evening that I have ever seen. They are so nice. Thank you for posting them on your site.

niteliters
01-16-2010, 11:32 PM
I agree with Ned, having a business card that says it all is key. Here is mine. I figuired keep it simple, keep it clean.

Tim you're are partially correct, showing what you do is paramount. putting together exceptional pictures and message in a small space is nstie. check it out www.nsitegraphics.com. she is doing work for lighting guys and it's awesome.

trailboss
01-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Tim you're are partially correct, showing what you do is paramount. putting together exceptional pictures and message in a small space is nstie. check it out www.nsitegraphics.com. she is doing work for lighting guys and it's awesome.

Nice looking stuff. How do you get in touch with them? The Contact page didnt have anything there.

Mark B
01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
I will agree. That is some nice looking work. I will be bookmarking that. I will be needing some stuff for the Wuz Worth IT items I will be doing soon

Lite4
01-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Our graphic designer sucks. The pieces I put together and suggest for us are far better than the crap he churns out and I don't even have the good design software. Too bad I can't fire him.

niteliters
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Nice looking stuff. How do you get in touch with them? The Contact page didnt have anything there.

contact info
tina@nstiegraphics.com
270-314-0680

niteliters
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
sorry
tina@nsitegraphics.com

niteliters
01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I will agree. That is some nice looking work. I will be bookmarking that. I will be needing some stuff for the Wuz Worth IT items I will be doing soon

hope she can help