PDA

View Full Version : Rain garden/harvesting systems

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Has anyone looked into using aquascapes rainxchange system or a similar system? I really like the idea to help promote myself and to get in on the "Green" bandwagon. I wouldn't say I'm a tree hugger, but I would like to do my part for the future generation.

Around certain parts of my area homeowners can get tax credits for using rain harvesting systems.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
No one has any interest in this area!

Look at Rainxchange.com and they have an installation video under resources I believe. This looks like the next big event for the future in one area of the green industry.

Edgewater
01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
I just came back from a trade show and took a look at a few systems.

I found that to be useful, they have to be big. The small ones are a nice idea, but to be attractive you have to be able to irrigate entirely from the system for a least a week in a dry period.

The size of most of the in ground systems will limit their installation to properties that are getting a full landscape.

There is a market, but I think that the small systems are to make yuppies feel "Green" and that the larger systems will take a comitment on the clients part due to the $$ involved.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Great idea but the cost is the ?

waterscaper
01-12-2009, 07:15 PM
The way I am promoting Rain water harvesting is using it as a way to have your water feature at least partially off the grid and not dependent on the municipal water. One catch so far and Ill see what happens this summer.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm not sold on the whole yard irrigation system. As I stated in the first post you can get tax credits for the rain harvesting/storm water systems installed on new homes in certain areas here in STL. As time goes on it might be beneficial to exisitng homes. As Waterscaper said I like the fact that you can keep your feature topped off with these systems and have enough good rain water to hand water your perrenial gardens etc. Plus it will keep the ugly garden hose out of the waterfalls that all my customers leave by the side. I'm not a fan of the autofill valves.

J. Peterson Grading
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I designed and installed my own version of a rain harvesting system. Its not a large system, but it works well for the homeowners needs.

Its roughly 200 gallon, and is only used to water plants in a small landscaped area of thier yard. Its no where near as complex as the manufactured systems.

In our area, we have lots of enviro-Hippies (is what I call them) So our city has a few different programs and grants to help pay for water collection systems (Rain gardens and rain harvesting) It seems like the only people that are taking advantage of these grants are home owners/General contractor types that are trying to get as much free as they can. (City will pay for these installations)

I have also done an install on a rain garden. I don't like the idea of installing a constant wet area to a yard. But if a customer wants it I will do it.

I agree, I am not a tree hugger. But I do like the whole Green idea. Its a totally untapped market.

J.