PDA

View Full Version : How to find out when to bid or get commerical leads

patphish
12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know the best way to get commerical sales lead or to find out how to get on maybe a bid list?

landscaper22
12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Ummmm...Maybe call the company and ask, or dress professionally one day and stop by and inquire about it.

JIM PALUCH
12-20-2008, 01:52 AM
When I was selling for YARDMASTER in Cleveland, Ohio. . . . I would never go by turned over dirt. If it was a commercial site, I was stopping into a job trailer and meeting the superintendent. If I was to late for this job, I was participating in the next one. . . GET DIRT DISEASE and take action

capnsac
12-26-2008, 02:52 PM
When I was selling for YARDMASTER in Cleveland, Ohio. . . . I would never go by turned over dirt. If it was a commercial site, I was stopping into a job trailer and meeting the superintendent. If I was to late for this job, I was participating in the next one. . . GET DIRT DISEASE and take action

I'm confused? I guess I don't get the heirarchy of construction to lawn mowing. I do not intend this to come off as ridicule or flaming but please explain how talking to the superintendent of construction on that job has anything to do with mowing the grass?

JIM PALUCH
12-26-2008, 03:09 PM
GREAT QUESTION AND APPRECIATE YOU ASKING. . . . I stopped by talking to a project manager or superintendent because in my mind I was going to be the guy that was going to DESIGN AND INSTALL the landscaping on that CONDO PROJECT or OFFICE BUILDINGS, or even a great ne home. I was selling design/build services and landscape maintentance. Now, apply the concept to the question that started the tread, "How do you find commercial leads or get on bid lists?" The only way I can think of is to stop and meet someone. If it is commercial site and you are wanting the lawn care or maintenance, it would make sense to stop by the project and as one of the responses said earlier, look professional and confident. Even if you are simply talking to the receptionist in the front lobby, it is a start. The better I got at stopping by a job trailer and getting more comfortable talking to a SUPERINTENDENT, the more opportunities I started getting to propose a design for their landscape. . . ONE OTHER GREAT THING SEEMS TO HAPPEN BY BEING OUT AND MEETING PEOPLE. . . I never really got on a bid list, I just made enough friends in the commercial construction business that it was more likely going to be a negotiation rather than lowest bid. . . HOPE THAT CLEARED IT UP and thanks for asking.

GO GET EM,
JIM
www.jphorizons.com

capnsac
12-26-2008, 03:20 PM
GREAT QUESTION AND APPRECIATE YOU ASKING. . . . I stopped by talking to a project manager or superintendent because in my mind I was going to be the guy that was going to DESIGN AND INSTALL the landscaping on that CONDO PROJECT or OFFICE BUILDINGS, or even a great ne home. I was selling design/build services and landscape maintentance. Now, apply the concept to the question that started the tread, "How do you find commercial leads or get on bid lists?" The only way I can think of is to stop and meet someone. If it is commercial site and you are wanting the lawn care or maintenance, it would make sense to stop by the project and as one of the responses said earlier, look professional and confident. Even if you are simply talking to the receptionist in the front lobby, it is a start. The better I got at stopping by a job trailer and getting more comfortable talking to a SUPERINTENDENT, the more opportunities I started getting to propose a design for their landscape. . . ONE OTHER GREAT THING SEEMS TO HAPPEN BY BEING OUT AND MEETING PEOPLE. . . I never really got on a bid list, I just made enough friends in the commercial construction business that it was more likely going to be a negotiation rather than lowest bid. . . HOPE THAT CLEARED IT UP and thanks for asking.

GO GET EM,
JIM
www.jphorizons.com

Thanks for the response Jim, I appreciate it greatly! I have so many ideas running through my head right now, and this seems like another great one that I want to hold on to. I never EVER even DAYDREAMED stopping by a construction site, now that it has been brought right in front of my face I feel silly for not doing so before this. Thanks again

JIM PALUCH
12-26-2008, 03:34 PM
GLAD TO HELP . . . In business great leads and sales are everywhere . . . we just have to be open to trying new things, knowing some will work and some will fail. In todays market those companies willing to aggressively seek out business are going to have plenty of work captured by those companies not willing to seek it out. . .

GO GET EM,

JIM
www.jphorizons.com

Green Pastures
12-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Property Management Companies are a good place to hit up HOA's, shopping mall's etc.....

JIM PALUCH
12-26-2008, 10:15 PM
The places you listed Green Pastures are perfect places to be connecting with. As we start to think about approaching property management firms etc. . . Give some thought to this questions:

What can I do that will make me incredibly unique and separate my company from the competition?

As you start to brainstorm that questions, ideas will come to you like.
- I will send a thank you card after meeting with them. . .
- I will present a quality pledge that spells out the features and benifts of working with us.
- I will have my entire team sign a letter that we are looking forward to earning the right to be a resource to this company and will deliver it along with my proposal.
- I will create a monthly faxtion plan that goes to large commercial projects every month telling them what we did and what we can do . . .

Those are just some ideas. . . Try it yourself. . . brainstorm what could make you unique, even if it is an off the wall idea that does not make sense. . .

GO GET EM,
JIM PALUCH
www.jphorizons.com

TomberLawn
12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Mr. Paluch,
Great advice, and great website! I could tell by reading your posts that you were an energetic, go-getter, and the videos on your website prove that. I'm currently trying to get into the commercial market and appreciate your words of confidence. I actually started today, simply asking a businessman in my church when he was accepting bids for one of his restaurants. I'm still out on Christmas break from college and plan to do some cruising around and asking for the opportunity to bid on some commercial properties. From what I've seen on here, and the little bit of experience I have, all you have to do is ask. Only two things can happen--you'll get the job now, or you'll be in the running next time. There is no defeat, just opportunities to try again. Thanks for encouraging me.

JIM PALUCH
12-29-2008, 09:58 AM
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK ! ! ! ! GREAT ADVICE ! ! ! ! Now set a goal or two. . . How many people do you want to ask? How many dollars would you like to attribute to your asking in 2009 and beyond? Set goals and set them in this way.

I have far exceeded my sales goal of $100,000 from new commercial clients for 2009. . . Put it on a 3 x 5 card and read it five or six times a day. . .

One last thing. . . after you ask make sure you get a card. Then when you get back to your office, make sure you sit down with each of those business cards and send them back a hand written, "Thanks for meeting with me and I look forward to earning the right to be a resource for you ! ! !

THANKS TomberLawn, I hope you make 2009 the greatest year ever and please tell a zillion other peoplle about our website. . . there is a lot of great info to use and share there.

GO GET EM,
JIM PALUCH
www.jphorizons.com

RhinoL&L
12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK ! ! ! ! GREAT ADVICE ! ! ! ! Now set a goal or two. . . How many people do you want to ask? How many dollars would you like to attribute to your asking in 2009 and beyond? Set goals and set them in this way.

I have far exceeded my sales goal of $100,000 from new commercial clients for 2009. . . Put it on a 3 x 5 card and read it five or six times a day. . .

One last thing. . . after you ask make sure you get a card. Then when you get back to your office, make sure you sit down with each of those business cards and send them back a hand written, "Thanks for meeting with me and I look forward to earning the right to be a resource for you ! ! !

THANKS TomberLawn, I hope you make 2009 the greatest year ever and please tell a zillion other peoplle about our website. . . there is a lot of great info to use and share there.

GO GET EM,
JIM PALUCH
www.jphorizons.com

looks like you are doing very well... You have given some great advise here and i greatly appreciate it. I have a question for you, i have been doing cold calls and am not getting a great response, but dont know what to do differently? Do you have any suggestions or advise based on your knowledge and experience? Great website too!

Thanks

grassguy_
12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
WOW great to see you here Jim!
Have been to your seminar before at OTF, and for all you guys on here, Jim has a terrific program on selling not only your service but selling yourself! Let alone some great books to get you motivated for selling and we all know it's going to take plenty of motivation with the 2009 economy!
GLAD TO HAVE YOU ON THE BOARD JIM! :waving: