PDA

View Full Version : My website needs feedback

pullingrass
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
All Feed Back Is Needed!!!

www.TheDetailedEdge.com

JDUtah
12-16-2008, 07:05 PM
I like the clean feel, perhaps you should narrow the width of teh site down to better serve people with lower screen resolutions?

JDUtah
12-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Sorry I wrote more but I took to long... here is a copy and paste...

I like the clean feel (mostly inspired by the white background and choice of font), perhaps you should narrow the width of the site to better serve people with lower screen resolutions?

I like the way you worded the free design consultation, seemed non intrusive and helpful.. it even made me, acting as a potential customer, get the urge to call you for one. (Just so you know the psychological pattern how I received that urge, I looked over your before and after design photo's on the home page (picDSCN2330_resized.jpg), thought it was pretty cool, then read the free consultation note right next to it. It did its job, I wouldn't change that at all. except maybe add your phone number at the end of the paragraph.)

Maybe take some of the other stuff below that and put it on another page... people tend to not scroll to read selling information. Clicking on something they want to read more about on the other hand....

pullingrass
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I was thinking about the width thing.... I'll work on that this week..

Kiril
12-16-2008, 10:34 PM
I was thinking about the width thing.... I'll work on that this week..

Please do. Ideally your site should fit entirely into a 800 x 600 view port without horizontal scrolling. Once you fix that I will take another look.

socallawndude
12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
looks good, but as mentioned change the size, and check your typos, I saw one on the about us page said "landscapi". Other than that looks rad, but I personally don't like an all white background, seems kind of harsh, but that's me.

Team-Green L&L
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
I would:

Condense the page titles to under 35 characters.
Keep the page width under 980 pixels for those who do not have wide screens.
No one will want to scroll horizontally (especially to see your phone number).
Add some dimension to the page with color on the background.
The Free Consultation page is way too busy on the eyes when reading.

I will take another look later.

ritchiem
12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Greetings pullingrass,

I had a chance to review your website. You asked for some feedback so I'll give you mine. Take note that these are my opinions and not everyone may agree on my methods. Here we go.

1. As mentioned already your page width shouldn't go beyond 980px. Nobody wants to side scroll and if your site doesn't show properly on a potential clients computer, that doesn't look good.

2. Having <meta> tags is a good thing (but not as important as they use to be) just make sure you are using them correctly. Make sure to comma separate your keywords, and cut the number of them down. Try and be as descriptive as possible and get away from the one word keywords. You'll find that you will be competing with other websites for the keyword 'landscaping' approx 3 million. So you will never show up in Google for that. Do some research to find out what fits your company best.

3. I see what you are trying to do with the fancy script fonts. But the list under 'Designs' is very hard to read. I can only imaging what they look like to someone without clear type enabled. I would stick with a font that is easy to read. Also the nav for the site is really not user friendly, text images floating on a white background gets lost. Try and revamp that.

4. On the portfolio page you must be running some sort of javascript to scale down the images for thumbnails...however they are still at the original file size. The program just scales down the image but doesn't work with the file size. I would make proper thumbnails to cut down on load times. Also, something that I noticed...under each thumbnail it says (click here) but you can't click that you have to click the image. May be a small thing but it can create confusion for your visitor.

5. Your title is waaaaaaaay too long. Don't let search engines pass you by. Be short and as descriptive as you can be. Include your company name and areas you service. You don't need (and shouldn't) to include a tag line here.

6. It may be just me but your phone number on your header image doesn't even look like a phone number. Make it more obvious (I could be wrong here).

7. Your 'free design consult' image is crazy huge. Don't forget to optimize all of your images on your site. That one image will make for slow download speeds for your visitors. Some browsers load the entire page before anything is displayed. You may even get a timeout.

I am assuming that you did the design yourself and I really dig that. The site does need improvements but you are well on your way. It looks like you offer a great service and your designs seem top notch. I really believe your site needs to reflect your service.

If you have any questions about my comments you can contact me at

office@thelawnblog.com (mailto:office@thelawnblog.com)

Cheers,

pullingrass
12-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I've resized it to fit my 15 in laptop... Thats as small as I'll be making it... I've got to go through and resize the pictures? are you guys having problems with the loading times?

pullingrass
12-20-2008, 02:52 PM
The site is really "home-made" it's with a blank template from www.Homestead.com $25 bucks a month package is pretty good... and i can change anything i want at any time without calling someone up and them taking my money...( even though 99% of the time their service pays itself back). It's something to look at in the future...

ritchiem
12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
imo $25 bucks a month is very expensive...but if you are happy with the service and the results, I cannot argue with that.

We mention the header image and the width of your site because people running 1024 x 768 or a custom resolution under that your header image is cut off. Therefore you need to side scroll to see your phone number.

One of the images on every page is (http://www.thedetailededge.com/IMGP0579.JPG)

3264px ◊ 2448px (scaled to 164px ◊ 123px)
2656.23 kB (2719979 bytes)

which is too big and needs to be fixed...anyone with a slower connection (even a low end high speed) will have to wait for the image to load.

We only respond to what needs to be fixed because we want you to have a quality site...and what better way then for your peers to critique it.

Cheers,

pullingrass
12-20-2008, 04:43 PM
imo $25 bucks a month is very expensive...but if you are happy with the service and the results, I cannot argue with that.

We mention the header image and the width of your site because people running 1024 x 768 or a custom resolution under that your header image is cut off. Therefore you need to side scroll to see your phone number.

One of the images on every page is (http://www.thedetailededge.com/IMGP0579.JPG)

3264px ◊ 2448px (scaled to 164px ◊ 123px)
2656.23 kB (2719979 bytes)

which is too big and needs to be fixed...anyone with a slower connection (even a low end high speed) will have to wait for the image to load.

We only respond to what needs to be fixed because we want you to have a quality site...and what better way then for your peers to critique it.

Cheers,

I'm not to sure about sizes like 1024 x 768, what size of screen would they be viewing on.... I thought my 15 in was small and I have about 1 inch extra on both sides of the page! i'm confused.... if someone is viewing with a 1996 12 inch laptop are a lot of sites to big for them? The only thing on my sitebuilder is a page size which I have at 1150...

I'll go through all the photos this week ASAP and get them a smaller size. Thats a long project in itself, but hey thats what this season is for!

I've done a lot of comparing and that seemed to be a good price... I have no web code knowledge so point and click is perfect... (no codes).

Thanks so much for your guys help with this site!

Kiril
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
800 x 600 viewport

pullingrass
12-20-2008, 07:53 PM
800 x 600 viewport

Please explain!!

pullingrass
12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
what's the min. screen size that would need to scroll over to see the whole page?

Kiril
12-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Please explain!!

http://webstyleguide.com/page/dimensions.html

Also note, even if you are running at a higher resolution, forcing the browser to use the "full screen"
in order to display your site without scrolling is most annoying for those people who multi-task.

In short, your site should gracefully scale to around a 800 x 600 view port if it is not fixed width.

WebMan
12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Please do. Ideally your site should fit entirely into a 800 x 600 view port without horizontal scrolling. Once you fix that I will take another look.

I HATE that (pet peeve) ancient way of doing things. Set your site to resize at 100%. Then it will fit any monitor and won't look tiny on my 20" or 22' or even my laptop's 17"

800X600 is the size for 15" monitors and has not been the "standard' for years... seen many computers with 15" monitors lately? 800x600 is "full screen" on them but if you build the site to dynamically resize there is no need for horizontal scrolling--ever.
On my 22" I have at least 1 1/2" of blank space on either size "as is"

Merrry Christmas to everyone...

Kiril
12-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I HATE that (pet peeve) ancient way of doing things. Set your site to resize at 100%. Then it will fit any monitor and won't look tiny on my 20" or 22' or even my laptop's 17"

Then don't view it full screen. There are valid reasons for creating fixed width sites and while I don't personally like them, I still will consider it depending on the circumstances.

800X600 is the size for 15" monitors and has not been the "standard' for years... seen many computers with 15" monitors lately?

Seen a laptop lately? Average laptop screen size is 15-17". And as I pointed out, people who multi-task rarely view any window in full screen. Sites that force me to increase my view port to a size that eats up the majority of my desktop real estate is enough reason for me to move on.

800x600 is "full screen" on them but if you build the site to dynamically resize there is no need for horizontal scrolling--ever.

What part of this statement is unclear?

In short, your site should gracefully scale to around a 800 x 600 view port if it is not fixed width.

ritchiem
12-23-2008, 08:16 AM
not to jump in the argument here...but screen size really doesn't matter here. It is viewing resolutions that is the important detail.

It would be great if all sites would start at 800px width and go from there. I remember designing sites for screen resolutions for 680px x 400px. Standard screen resolutions for today seem to be 1024px x 768px. Most people with a 17" CRT will be running that resolution. More and more people are now running widescreens which creates more dreaded 'whitespace' on your websites. This is where we need to be creative. :hammerhead:

As for the argument...I always run my browser in windowed mode because I am a multitasker geek. And websites that do not resize or fit my windows erks me as well.

And remember guys we are on here to help 'pullingrass' out with his website critique...and not to create a great debate.

Kiril
12-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Standard screen resolutions for today seem to be 1024px x 768px. Most people with a 17" CRT will be running that resolution.

I agree with this, and is supported by various browser stat collection sites.

And remember guys we are on here to help 'pullingrass' out with his website critique...and not to create a great debate.

This is true, and hopefully we are helping him determine the best minimum size his size should scale to.

ritchiem
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
any updates or advancements on the site pullingrass? If you have anymore questions or concerns let us have them.

Cheers,

pullingrass
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
updated a bit.... not much it's been crazy busy with snow up here...