PDA

View Full Version : SCAG w/b Prices

padlock
02-21-2002, 09:45 PM
I have an opportunity to buy an 8 to 10 year old SWZ 48 hydro walkbehind for $1,300. Is this a good price? I have no sense as to how much these machines depreciate over time.

CSRA Landscaping
02-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Seems like that's a little less than half price.

What size engine does it have? Do you know what type of use it's had? Are you buying from a company or an individual? If a company, what type of reputation do they have for equipment? What sort of maintenance has it had? Has the hydro pump been replaced?

I'm not sure that I'd bite at an 8 year old mower for over $1k but that's me.

Just like buying a car ... be sure to get a test drive. ;)

padlock
02-23-2002, 10:44 AM
The machine is a SCAG with a 14 hp Kawasaki engine. I'm buying it from an individual who used it for a year doing some commercial work. Before that, it was used by one owner to cut his horse paddocks (7+ years).

I have no idea of the maintenance history, apart from the fact that the spindles were replaced one year ago. It runs smooth, doesn't burn oil and outwardly looks in good conditition. No idea about the hydro pump.

I still don't have a good idea whether $1,300 is reasonable or too high, assuming that its in good mechanical condition. Any thoughts?

CSRA Landscaping
02-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Doesn't sound like it's been abused. Still, for an 8+ year old mower ... I don't know if I'd do $1300. Maybe offer him $900-1000 and depending on how bad you want it, bargain with him if he won't bite. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help ... there are other guys on this site that know much more than I do about pricing used mowers, maybe they'll chime in. Try e-mailing Scag to ask them what it's worth, or call the dealer and ask him. Good luck, and let us know how you make out, ok?