PDA

View Full Version : I finally blew a gasket!!!!!!!

SpruceLandscape
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
:realmad: Sorry guys, but I just had to vent!

This is my first year advertising in the phone book. I signed up for two different ads in two different sections in this latest phone book that just came out in the last week. I put down a deposit in Jan. of 08 of $461 with the remaining balance of $1843 to be paid in twelve monthly installments througout the year. Sent in my first payment of $154 two weeks ago.
Phone book just came out, and guess what...

THEY USED SOME GENERIC CRAPPY AD INSTEAD OF THE ONES I SENT THEM THAT WERE MADE UP BY A PROFESSIONAL AD COMPANY!!!

And to boot.. They screwed the ads all up! The snow plowing ad doesn't even mention thats its for snow plowing or salt! Just says 24 hours service and then my phone number and name! The other ad shows endorsements that I don't even have!!!
Then, to top it all off, on top of having to spend an extra $200-$250 on extra advertising in the newspapers now that won't even reach half of the circulation the phone book does, their solution to the problem was to offer me only 15% off of the contracted amount! :hammerhead:
Imagine telling one of your customers that after you planted the wrong type of tree, and then justifying it by saying, "well, at least its a tree, so we'll knock off 15%... "
I have a feeling we will be in front of a Judge on this one...

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
don't pay them ****. tell them you will gladly go to court. Threaten them that if they make a blemish on your credit for their mistake you will sue the crap out of them. This is why i don't use yellow pages.

CALandscapes
12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
The name of my business is Curb Appeal Landscapes.

The yellowpages ad says "Curb Appeal Landscaping"

I won't pay money for an ad with them again.

IN2MOWN
12-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Didnt you get a copy of the ad to proof read?

If you did and it was the way it was supposed to be then dont pay the bill.

And next time find something better to spend your money on. Yellow Book sucks.

DLAWNS
12-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Was this problem with Yellowbook? Or was it a different company? I had the same problem (not quite as bad as you), but they drove me to scream at them on the phone until they did something to make me a little happier. Let's just say I didn't renew.

mulchmaster
12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Yellow book does suck!!

Mulch

DLAWNS
12-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Yellow book does suck!!

Mulch

I guess that's all I had to type. That sums it up. lol

Green Pastures
12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
don't pay them ****. tell them you will gladly go to court. Threaten them that if they make a blemish on your credit for their mistake you will sue the crap out of them. This is why i don't use yellow pages.

That is exactly why I got such a great rate on my Yellow Pages ad's.

They screwed up the same exact thing as the OP and I just would not budge and did not pay them a cent till I got satasfaction.

Demand to speak with the regional account rep.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
I've had several Yellow Page ads, and every time I've had to sign off on the proof before they would print it, did you not get a proof that you had to authorize before printing?

Seems strange to me you didn't get a proof, I've been in the Dex, and Yellow book, both make you sign several times for your proof before printing.

Green Pastures
12-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I literally begged for proofs and they never sent one or got one signed.

That's why I refused to pay, thay had no "proof" I agreed to publishing the ad.

Mowingman
12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
The Yellow Page people are just plain stupid. When I had my lawn equipment shop, I sent them all the info and a photo for an ad. We were a Grasshopper dealer, so I sent them a photo of a Grasshopper mower. Finally, after telling them I would not pay anything until i had a proof in my hands, they sent me a proof, at the very last minute. They had used a photo of a Dixie Chopper in our ad, instead of the Grasshopper photo. I put an immediate halt on that ad deal. They finally got it right, and we did purchase a Yellow Pages ad., but, what a bunch of morons.

SpruceLandscape
12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Yes, the proof they sent me was of these two crappy ads. Unless you contact them and tell them different, they will assume the proofs are correct. So... I contacted him, told him different, and later emailed him with the new ads and then called and confirmed that the new ads went came through in a format that they could use. Another hickup is that the sales rep that was dealing with my account mysteriously no longer works there...

And no, it wasn't Yellowbook. I'd rather not say as of yet in case this thing goes to court. But, if you live in my area, all you have to do is start thumbing through your brand new phone book that was just delivered in December.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I guess it really depends on who your sales person is, mine stopped by the house, had me look everything over, I had a few changes and re-wording, he stopped by the next day with the updates, asks me how it looks, I say great, has me sign the proof and said lets go with it, it turned out in the book exactly as the proof I signed.

I guess you all just had bad sales people.

DLAWNS
12-17-2008, 11:47 PM
And no, it wasn't Yellowbook. I'd rather not say as of yet in case this thing goes to court. But, if you live in my area, all you have to do is start thumbing through your brand new phone book that was just delivered in December.

My fault, I didn't even think about that. I feel your pain with dealing with them, though.

Big C
12-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I am glad I read this post, A yellow pages sales person approached the other day (while at the gym:weightlifter:) and hounded me about setting up an ad for the upcomming phonebook...I thought it was a good idea but after doing some research....heard a lot of complaints...I think I will stick to my current advertising methods.

bohiaa
12-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I know they screwed me over then wouldn't stop calling......

Tadams
12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I've got ads in both the Yellowbook and the Yellow pages and they both sent me proofs in the mail. One was perfect and the other one I decided to change after I saw it. I sent it in with my changes and they sent out another proof. It was perfect. They both look great in the books. I guess it depends on the local network?

CLARK LAWN
12-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes, the proof they sent me was of these two crappy ads. Unless you contact them and tell them different, they will assume the proofs are correct. So... I contacted him, told him different, and later emailed him with the new ads and then called and confirmed that the new ads went came through in a format that they could use. Another hickup is that the sales rep that was dealing with my account mysteriously no longer works there...

were do you live OHIO is a rather large state

SpruceLandscape
12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Lorain County

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I've got ads in both the Yellowbook and the Yellow pages and they both sent me proofs in the mail. One was perfect and the other one I decided to change after I saw it. I sent it in with my changes and they sent out another proof. It was perfect. They both look great in the books. I guess it depends on the local network?

I agree, I had nothing but an Excellent experience with my local Yellow book folks.

DaveinSWFL
12-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I am in a simialr situation with Yellow book. I received the final proof, which says this is your final proof, you have until 10/28 to make changes. If you have no changes, this is how your ad will appear. I made no changes, the ad looked great on the proof. So, I get the book and the ad is not the same as my proof. The ad was a business card size, was suppose to be 1/2 page ad. Had a family photo in my proof, no photo in the book, forgot to put in my website address, was on the proof. Changed the bullet points that were on my ad and left out important info. And the list goes on. I have spoke to my rep on the phone and via email about the screw up. She says she doesn't know what happened but that she is working on getting me a discount. BS! I am not paying period.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Well I know my rep fairly well, and everything gets turned in through them, sounds like she simply didn't turn in your final proof, and they only had the rough draft on file and that is what got printed, that's too bad. These yellow page ads are pretty much in the hands of your sales rep!

kc2006
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I've had great service with the yellowpages. The other book however. They gave me "$5000" in free advertising last year. I had paid in full like 400 and some dollars for one ad, book comes out with 7 ads and i get a bill for 5 grand. Took me 3 months to get it cleared up. In the end, i said send me over a copy of the contract that i signed for those 7 ads. They of course didn't have it and all was free. I went with them again this year because I got those 7 ads for 700 dollars (strange how it was 5000 when they just threw it in, but now its only 700). I'm pulling out of their book this year and just keeping yellowpages.