PDA

View Full Version : A water fall we rebuilt

mowerman111
12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
We rebuilt this waterfall for my wifes boss a few weeks ago.

NEWGUYRI
12-18-2008, 07:34 PM
very nice,

I wish i could produce quality work like that!!

tadpole
12-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Entirely too much rock and mostly all the same size!

mowerman111
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Entirely too much rock and mostly all the same size! When the customer asks it to be done a certain way and he is paying for it, then you just do it! FYI we used the rock he already had there. I never said it was my design.

OUTLANDER
12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
yea , but a good recommendation couldn't hurt.............thats just an eyesore there IMO, but much better than the last one

mowerman111
12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
yea , but a good recommendation couldn't hurt.............thats just an eyesore there IMO, but much better than the last one I agree fully, I personally would have done it different if I could have. Like I said I did just what the customer wanted.

Lite4
12-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Why is it the customer always gets blamed for bad waterfall designs. In my 15+ years of building waterfalls I have never had a single customer tell me what they wanted the waterfall to look like. That is why they hired a "pro" isn't it? They may say how big, but if they tried to hamper me with how it should look I would just tell them to do it themselves and split. My humble advice, go study the waterfalls in nature. Try to copy that and you won't go wrong. Just my opinion. If it is your first waterfall I can understand, there is always a tendency to use small stones because the larger ones require more work and those new to the craft are unsure how to place them properly.

Chris J
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Why is it the customer always gets blamed for bad waterfall designs. In my 15+ years of building waterfalls I have never had a single customer tell me what they wanted the waterfall to look like. That is why they hired a "pro" isn't it? They may say how big, but if they tried to hamper me with how it should look I would just tell them to do it themselves and split. My humble advice, go study the waterfalls in nature. Try to copy that and you won't go wrong. Just my opinion. If it is your first waterfall I can understand, there is always a tendency to use small stones because the larger ones require more work and those new to the craft are unsure how to place them properly.

That sounds like pretty sound advice to me. I moved into a new home last year, and had a reputable landscape designer offer his services to help me fix it up (on paper) with me doing all the work. He never came through, and now he's out of business. I would have liked to have seen that design nonetheless. Maybe karma had something to do with it?

tadpole
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I could not agree more with Firefly. You should give a customer what you know he needs, not what he says he wants. Treat every installation as if you were putting it in your own yard. If you wouldn't want it, don't pass it off on a customer who can not really visualize what they want the final result to be. Build it for yourself then sell it to the customer for the agreed price.

Tadpole
Ripples Inc.
Pensacola, Fl

mowerman111
01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
What I meant about what the customer wanted was that he wanted to use the rock he already had, which was small rock. What larger rock he had he did not want us to use. I showed him pictures of other options that we could do and it was a no go! Yes what I think looks good and what he thinks is two different things. What he had before was due to letting the guy do what he thought looked good and that was the worst nightmare I've ever seen.

[Quote] (don't pass it off on a customer who can not really visualize what they want the final result to be. Build it for yourself then sell it to the customer for the agreed price.)

I showed him my own waterfall so he new what design he was getting, and he still wanted to use his smaller rock. I'm not stupid either had I told him I wasn't going to do it his way then he would have got somebody else! Here is mine and I'm still not sure I'm satisfied with it. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=107983&page=3 Thats why I don't build ponds for a living I would always be wanting to change them.