PDA

View Full Version : gardener from england

jaypauldini
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
hi
i have been in this game for 17 years +, i started as a labourer, then got a job job with mate laying turf for the prince of kuwait's house in england, it was pouring with rain and an exposed site, but i didnt mind, i thought 'this is good'. so i did some more work for my mate. then i got a job cutting grass for the council (municipal), road verges and school football pitches etc.. did this for two years, then we got made redundant as it was privatised.
so i thought i dont want to be unemployed, so i went to college to get my qualifications in horticulture.
this was great, as i was at college with hundreds of gardeners, so we had a lot of fun learning what to do, meeting girls and having parties.i worked all the way through college doing local people gardens.
when i finished i got good enough grades to go to university. so off i went to university (this was all free, paid by the British government). i did a degree in commercial horiticulture majoring in fruit production, why i dont know, i hate fruit, just seemed interesteing at the time. i also worked my way through this, and employed other students to work with me, we did fuirt tree pruning and gardens.
three years later i walked out with a degree. i went to work on some fruit farms, had a terrible time. left and started my own gardening firm in surrey.
then i saw ajob at my old college as nursery manager. so i applied and luckily got the job.
i worked as the college nursery manager for two years, i also did some teaching and instruction.
in the end the money wasnt good enough, and as i had met my wife at college, i thought i need to earn some serious money.
so i resigned and set up my gardeniing business.
that is where i am now. i work on my own. most my work is within a mile of my house. most of my customers are regular and have their own machinery, but i do use some of my own stuff.
i use a bicycle to get round, with a trailer for when i use my petrol brush cutter and mower.
i make twice what i made at the college. i cant imagine a better job.

tools:
ryobi brush cutter
hayter harrier mower 48

S.Florida Landscapes
12-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey!

Welcome to the site. I'm new here as well, been in the buisness for close to 5 years now.

This place is incrediable what with the massive overload of information and knowladgeable people who inhabit this forum.

Again, welcome! :)

KCfireman
12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
welcome to the site brotha! You will find it very useful.:waving:

LawnTamer
12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Another chap from across the pond. :waving:

Welcome, we don't see too many Hayters here, but they sure look like they get the job done.

Welcome aboard.

DLAWNS
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Welcome, I look forward to speaking with you.

jaypauldini
12-19-2008, 07:31 AM
hi
thanks for the warm welcome to all who replied to new thing.
right now i at one of my jobs i am 'trying' to repair a hydro gear transaxle off a countax ride on C- series mower. many people told me it was impossible to repair one, even the local lawn mower garage, said it would have to be disposed of and a newone fitted at a cost of £1000. two months ago that would have been about $2000 ish, but now its only $1500, ha ha.
still my client wasnt happy to spend that kinof money when you can buy a new mower for £2,500. so he asked me to try and see if i could fix it.
i have got it off, and opened it up, which was easier than i thought.
inside it looks quite good, i will try and post some pictures. so now i am aobut to take the dif part to pieces, and hopefully find a worn gear or broken shift key.
i would like to know i any of you ahve any experience good or bad with this sort of job?
jay

openbook
12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Try the mechanic forum you will have better luck there.