PDA

View Full Version : Another spreader setting question...

born2farm
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I have a scotts accu pro 2000 that I have been trying to figure out how to get set. My big question is what does the little cone with the numbers 1-7 adjust? I am spreading salt with it right now and I have the gate all the way open and the cone out of the way. I need help!!

RigglePLC
12-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I have a similar spreader (Scotts R_8a, about 19 years old). The orange cone adjusts the amount of throw to the left or right. I set mine at 5. The Helical Cone move changes the part of the impeller where the salt drops. It can be closer to the center of the impeller or farther out on the impellor diameter. Not sure, but I think farther out will throw more fert to the right.
Feel free to enlarge some of the holes--and cover the excess opening with duct tape when you go back to fert in spring.

born2farm
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a similar spreader (Scotts R_8a, about 19 years old). The orange cone adjusts the amount of throw to the left or right. I set mine at 5. The Helical Cone move changes the part of the impeller where the salt drops. It can be closer to the center of the impeller or farther out on the impellor diameter. Not sure, but I think farther out will throw more fert to the right.
Feel free to enlarge some of the holes--and cover the excess opening with duct tape when you go back to fert in spring.

Thanks for the reply. So 5 throws it somewhat even to both sides?

RigglePLC
12-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Born, Yep, 5 is about average--however--experiment, it depends on the hole opening and coarseness of the granules. Flip down the edger guide and its different. By the way you might want to use an over the shoulder "organ-grinder" spreader for narrow spots. Try a hand crank 3 pound spreader for narrow sidewalks. (For expensive calcium chloride). You will find the weight is tough on the wrist after about 5 minutes--possibly the type with the built-in arm brace would be better. I have not tried that myself. Of course, a heavy coat sleeve would probably not fit through the wrist opening. Anybody try this type? Does the brace take the stress off the wrist?

born2farm
12-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Born, Yep, 5 is about average--however--experiment, it depends on the hole opening and coarseness of the granules. Flip down the edger guide and its different. By the way you might want to use an over the shoulder "organ-grinder" spreader for narrow spots. Try a hand crank 3 pound spreader for narrow sidewalks. (For expensive calcium chloride). You will find the weight is tough on the wrist after about 5 minutes--possibly the type with the built-in arm brace would be better. I have not tried that myself. Of course, a heavy coat sleeve would probably not fit through the wrist opening. Anybody try this type? Does the brace take the stress off the wrist?

Thanks a ton. That helps a lot. For sidewalks usually the narrow ones are short enough i do them by hand but the long ones are enough wider i just use the deflector.

Thanks again. I need to learn a lot more before I start spreading fert.

grassman177
12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
yep. i love that spreader, i have foiund that the 5 setting is pretty normal, but dusty products with very small granules you have to adjust it. seed and regular fert usually are about th same and not worth changing. do expect the cable to control the side deflector to rust and break after the year of use. mine broke every year and i finally just use a bungee across the top and down the side to hold it and actually like it very well, keeps the cover on too going down the highway!

born2farm
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
yep. i love that spreader, i have foiund that the 5 setting is pretty normal, but dusty products with very small granules you have to adjust it. seed and regular fert usually are about th same and not worth changing. do expect the cable to control the side deflector to rust and break after the year of use. mine broke every year and i finally just use a bungee across the top and down the side to hold it and actually like it very well, keeps the cover on too going down the highway!

Ok so when I go to spread some grass seed then I should be ok at 5.

tlg
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok so when I go to spread some grass seed then I should be ok at 5.

Your grass seed will need to be applied at a rate specified on the bag. This would be in pounds per thousand square feet. There will be an over seeding rate and a new lawn rate in most cases. You will have to calibrate whatever spreader you use. Most seeding operations fail because either to little or to much seed is applied. Do yourself a favor and don't guess.

born2farm
12-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I know the gate will have to be adjusted. I was asking if the cone can stay in the same place. All it adjusts is the spread.

RigglePLC
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Seed is light and fine--bentgrass being smaller than rye, bluegrass in-between. Smaller opening. You have to experiment. Unless someone else has experience along these lines.

born2farm
12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Seed is light and fine--bentgrass being smaller than rye, bluegrass in-between. Smaller opening. You have to experiment. Unless someone else has experience along these lines.

Thanks. This is my first time running the spreader or any spreader for that matter.