PDA

View Full Version : nlvca is not outdoor lighting

Mike M
12-21-2008, 09:20 PM
What a bunch of mambi-pambies. Did I spell that right? Is it a word? Is it two words?

If they think we're nuts, they should meet the irritation guys!!

Is it possible that our industry could dissociate ourselves from all other lv categories? I don't want people confusing me with the guys who install vacuum systems. No offense. It's just that the people who do creative work need to be affiliated with free-speaking outcasts more than right-wing nut jobs. I'm not saying all non "outdoor-lighting" lv people are conservative extremists like Bill O'Reilly or the Taliban or anything, but some people at that nlvca make my stomach turn.

"I went to the woods to live deliberately...."

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I too went to the woods to live deliberately... Quite literaly too... have you seen where I live? :)

I agree with a lot you have to say Mike.... except for pierce points of course. :)

Mike M
12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
I too went to the woods to live deliberately... Quite literaly too... have you seen where I live? :)

I agree with a lot you have to say Mike.... except for pierce points of course. :)

I didn't think Canadians read Thoreau. Even though that name looks French.

Anyway, did you see what that girl wrote?? And I got a serious "second and final warning" for using too many emoticons.

Did you read my line about you mocking me before they deleted it? I even made some allusions to those smileys reminding me of the people in Brave New World and Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

You and Mike G and others are gonna provide free content from years of experience, and all they do is censor and edit and then make some insulting jabs.

You know what they think content is? That page full of lighting terminology. Have you seen it? That marketing girl posted it. Everyone is gonna keep returning to that website to read the lighting terminology. Hey did you hear about that lighting terminology? Everyone's reading it, go check it out. Let's all get together and head to that lighting terminology page and break out into small reading groups.

Hey James, I'll PM you a link to that lighting terminology page. Let me know what you think. We'll write a long thread on lighting terminology. Wait, let me look in the back of my Vista manual. We'll compare the lighting terminology. Does aolp have a lighting terminology page? When I had light shop in high school, we had to memorize the lighting terminology before we could use any of the lighting tools.

Crap, wheres my lighting terminology? I put it here somewhere... I can't go to the job site without reviewing my lighting terminology... James, fax me your lighting terminology, I have a presentation to do today. Kelly, where's my lighting terminology? I had it right next to the business phone. Who was friggin around with my damn lighting terminology?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-22-2008, 12:57 AM
I didn't think Canadians read Thoreau. Even though that name looks French. Uh gee thanks Mike... Just because we live in the Great White North, doesn't mean they dont teach us what books are for! We have to use something to get the wood stove fired up after all.

Anyway, did you see what that girl wrote?? And I got a serious "second and final warning" for using too many emoticons. If they don't want you to use emoticons, then why the heck to they make them available? Something tells me the owner there doesn't have much experience dealing with us creative types.

Did you read my line about you mocking me before they deleted it? I even made some allusions to those smileys reminding me of the people in Brave New World and Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Yes I managed to read it before deletion... then I got to read the PM that was sent to me about "useless" posts that don't contain relevant information. I guess the admins there expected a bunch of info whoring robots to contribute to the board. Instead they got human beings... what a pain what with all the personalities, humour, sarcasm, and such. Drats... time to delete all the info I guess.

You and Mike G and others are gonna provide free content from years of experience, and all they do is censor and edit and then make some insulting jabs. Oh I know all about that! I have sent off a couple of rather rich notes about just that. Either they are very naive or very cunning. I wish I ran a business that got all its content for free!

You know what they think content is? That page full of lighting terminology. Have you seen it? That marketing girl posted it. Everyone is gonna keep returning to that website to read the lighting terminology. Hey did you hear about that lighting terminology? Everyone's reading it, go check it out. Let's all get together and head to that lighting terminology page and break out into small reading groups. Oh I read it... and then it was discovered that some of the other glossaries had been copied verbatim from other sources without any credit or references provided. (My suspicion is that they all have.) That was quite the s--t storm let me tell you. Anyway she is pretty darned proud (and defensive) about those terminology pages, so watch your p's & q's on that topic. Makes for a pretty dry board if all we have to read is a bunch of glossaries and 100% tech stuff. Don't for a min. think of inserting any of your personality into your posts..:nono:. you will be censored!

Hey James, I'll PM you a link to that lighting terminology page. Let me know what you think. We'll write a long thread on lighting terminology. Wait, let me look in the back of my Vista manual. We'll compare the lighting terminology. Does aolp have a lighting terminology page? When I had light shop in high school, we had to memorize the lighting terminology before we could use any of the lighting tools.

Crap, wheres my lighting terminology? I put it here somewhere... I can't go to the job site without reviewing my lighting terminology... James, fax me your lighting terminology, I have a presentation to do today. Kelly, where's my lighting terminology? I had it right next to the business phone. Who was friggin around with my damn lighting terminology?

In comparison, the guys here at Lawnsite are doing an excellent job. And in return look at the volumes and volumes of amazing information they have amassed on these pages.

Mike M
12-22-2008, 07:57 AM
If you read the stuff the makes the US the US, and you like it, than why do you stereotype us? Individuality and independent thinkers are valued. Bill L., Nate, Mike G., Seth Godin, and on and on, all examples of free and independent thinkers. At least it was important before 911. Then we seemed to surrender free will to God and and big government.

You are right, lawnsite gives us a lot of freedom.

Too bad we are losing our newspapers. All the more reason to look to electronic media and fight for the right to argue ideas, send letters to the editor, sneak in some free publicity when we can, keep up with industry gossip, and find out about new equipment (etc.).

As far as having to listen to some ridiculous banter while hashing out ideas, I think the moderators at that place should watch cspan's coverage of Gordon Brown at the British Parliament. They slouch like juveniles in those chairs and heckle each other. Don't they realize they are on tv? haha.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Mike, I didnt say anywhere we read it! And I didn't say anywhere we like it! I clearly said we burn it. :)

To be honest, I have never read anything by Thoreau.

As far as stereotyping... well that is human nature is it not? I think all people all over are guilty of that! You do know that we Canadians do not all say "Eh?", don't all drink copius quantities of beer, eat back bacon, and wear touques right? (See what I mean)

Have a great day.

irrig8r
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
You guys..... geez.. save the private conversations for email. We're here to discuss the nuts and bolts... serious stuff only....

:laugh:

That gal is really on a "Power" trip... :)

Anyway, think of this guys: nlvca is not dependent on advertising for their revenues.

Lawnsite is.

A site that allows us more freedom to post gets more content FOR FREE.

So, think about that for a second....

BTW Mike, the irrigation forum is probably the most fun Lawnsite has to offer and still has a lot valuable advice. I thought Lawnsite lighting guys took themselves way too seriously until I compared it to the AOLP and NLVCA.

Lawnsite moderators do a much better job of culling out the real misfits, and are more responsive to complaints... even though I think they are a little heavy-handed on occasion.

irrig8r
12-22-2008, 11:28 AM
What's a touque?

Mike M
12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I won't read my pm there, but I speculate that it may have something to do with my acumulation of off-topic violations and a possible third strike I'm out.

Gregg, as for your buddies on the irr discussions, they would really have fun there for the 10 minutes they would last, and there is no offense meant by that, just my honest admiration.

JoeyD
12-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Why would you guys want to deal with another forum anyway? The only positive thing about that site is Mike G. is participating.

irrig8r
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
You're right Joey.

MG contributed a lot of good stuff to this forum too.

It's just that he has an abrasive, aggressive (in his own words, "take-no-prisoners") style/ approach to communicating in these kinds of forums that leads to a lot of misunderstandings, mudslinging and arguments.

I'd imagine MG might even be welcomed back if he could exercise a little more self control. He has a lot of good ideas. I just wish he'd chill out.

JoeyD
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
He just tells it like it is...I work for a guy just like him in a lot of ways. I have learned to appreciate people like that vs. people that just take shots at individuals in sneaky sort of indirect way.

Mike M
12-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I just thought it would be nice to get away from the orange banner. I guess it could be worse. There was a school district near us in PA that had orange and black school colors. We used to call their football team "pumpkin heads."

irrig8r
12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
He just tells it like it is...I work for a guy just like him in a lot of ways. I have learned to appreciate people like that vs. people that just take shots at individuals in sneaky sort of indirect way.

You know Joey, I'd like to say more, but unfortunately he isn't here to defend himself, so in fairness, I won't.

Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for MG's success. It's the attitude that turns me off.

irrig8r
12-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I just thought it would be nice to get away from the orange banner. I guess it could be worse. There was a school district near us in PA that had orange and black school colors. We used to call their football team "pumpkin heads."

Hey dude... my kids' high school colors were orange and black.

Go Wildcats.

http://b1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00257/11/11/257801111_l.jpg

Mike M
12-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh, but I'm sure it looked good on your kids, Gregg.

Mark B
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
You guys are back on the color. I'm not even sure what/who you are talking about. But thanks for the reading.

Mike M
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
There is a place that is very bad for people who are tempted to use emoticons without inhibition.

I don't suggest you go there, but if you do, DON'T SAY ANYTHING there or you will risk being moderated into submission.

irrig8r
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh, but I'm sure it looked good on your kids, Gregg.

Of course it did. Especially when Keith went up for the kill shots.
He helped them win the Central Coast Section title in volleyball.

http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/20040526/lgsports8.shtml

"Los Gatos dominated the third and final game of the match. A kill by Catanese was good for the final point in a 25-13 win, and the Wildcats were the champions of the CCS."

CCS encompasses 12 leagues made up of of both public and private high schools, 135 schools in all.

Mike M
12-22-2008, 10:11 PM
They make the sport sound so violent.