PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks and Real Green

mrkosar
12-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Especially for those that use Real Green software do you also have quickbooks for your accounting stuff? How hard is it to learn the two softwares? Any suggestions or advice going into this new process? Do you have to buy Real Green's paper? Do I need a special printer? Any help or suggestions will help.

Right now I am using Groundskeeper pro and excel spreadsheets, but it is time to step it up to a much better software especially for the marketing aspects that Real Green offers.

Do most of you pay the annual fee for service calls?

rcreech
12-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Especially for those that use Real Green software do you also have quickbooks for your accounting stuff? How hard is it to learn the two softwares? Any suggestions or advice going into this new process? Do you have to buy Real Green's paper? Do I need a special printer? Any help or suggestions will help.

Right now I am using Groundskeeper pro and excel spreadsheets, but it is time to step it up to a much better software especially for the marketing aspects that Real Green offers.

Do most of you pay the annual fee for service calls?

I have used Groundskeeper Pro for two years and am getting Real Green installed next Monday. Can;t wait to start using it!

I literally grew out of my Groundskeeper Pro!

Real Green will do everything for you and you can do away with EVERYTHING else. No other software is needed. I am getting it to upsell and market my current cusomters and new ones.

Call Real Green as they are totally awesome to work with! I have been working with Val!

mrkosar
12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
rcreech,

sounds very good, but i have went back on some of the searches and have seen quite a few holes in Real Green. i would love to start another discussion on the best software here. i really like the marketing capabilities of real green, but support and update fees and poor customer service scare me. the problem is there doesn't seem to be anything out there with the marketing capabilities that it has. customer service is VERY important to me.

rcreech
12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
From what I have picked up from current customers is their service is awesome!

What holes have you heard about it? I haven't heard any yet...but would like to know if so.

I am VERY NEW to it...but love what I see so far! I will actually be at Real Green on Monday and Tuesday of next week for install.

Scotts and several other major players use it and they have another 1500 users.

I think the monthly fee is $70 and that includes unlimited monthly support and all upgrades. Sounds like a lot of money...but if you can upsell the crap out of your added services it will more then pay for that (or atleast that is the way I am justifying it).

tlg
12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
We have been using Real Green for years now. It works well. In fact it is probably the best program going to market and grow our business. We looked at several options before we bought in. Nothing out there compared. It will help to bring your whole operation into focus. As far as the perfect program..... well I don't believe it exists. If I could write code I would have designed my own program to do what I want. In the end it's worth the money to buy the program. That being said there are some things you should know. You will need a good computer and a laser printer ( don't buy a cheap one our first laser crapped out after two days) ( the new one cost about $2500 bucks.) You will need to buy Real Greens forms and envelopes to use the system. you will need to pay for tech support and upgrades. You will need lots of aspirin while you learn the program. You will be learning the program for a long, long time. There's a lot to understand. There are endless reports and some things won't make sense if data is not entered correctly. Don't let any of this scare you off. Once you make the investment and learn the program it will be a lot easier than whatever you were using before.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I looked into getting the Real Green software as well, but haven't decided yet, still using Quickbooks just fine, but to tell you one thing they will take Payments, She told me 25% down and the rest over 12 Monthly Payments if this helps your search any. To any of you using Real Green, do they have a mailing service for your monthly invoices instead of having to buy an expensive printer and hassle with mailing each month?

rcreech
12-22-2008, 10:51 PM
tlg,

Why won't a "regualar" laser printer work?

I have a very nice printer but it was only like $400. Why is a $2500 printer needed?

Thanks,
RC

tlg
12-22-2008, 10:54 PM
From what I have picked up from current customers is their service is awesome!

What holes have you heard about it? I haven't heard any yet...but would like to know if so.

I am VERY NEW to it...but love what I see so far! I will actually be at Real Green on Monday and Tuesday of next week for install.

Scotts and several other major players use it and they have another 1500 users.

I think the monthly fee is $70 and that includes unlimited monthly support and all upgrades. Sounds like a lot of money...but if you can upsell the crap out of your added services it will more then pay for that (or atleast that is the way I am justifying it).

Customer service is only as good as what you are willing to tolerate. When it's the busy time of year you WILL wait for a callback. Some service techs are great, some can cause you grief. Sometimes communication of the problem you are having and articulating that problem to tech support will be your biggest hurdle. It's hard to explain what you don't know. It's even harder for them to understand what you don't know. New support techs don't know everything . Don't be afraid to ask for Pete or somebody that's been there longer. This is not a complaint. It's just reality.

tlg
12-22-2008, 11:26 PM
tlg,

Why won't a "regualar" laser printer work?

I have a very nice printer but it was only like $400. Why is a $2500 printer needed?

Thanks,
RC

Our first laser printer was about $700. It was an HP. After two days we had gear problems. The HP repair tech said it was not the best for doing a lot of printing. The printer itself had some design and engineering flaws. He suggested the HP Color Laser Jet 4650 we have now. It's not that your printer won't work. It will. The problem is it's capability is limited.
The 4650 prints very fast. It has different paper trays to select your standard 8.5 x 11 or legal size where your invoices print from. Even this printer gets real hot when printing. I'm sure this will be a problem someday too. We felt at the time that if we were going to invest all this money in a program we really needed a printer that could keep up with what we were sending it. Buy the way I'm not recommending this printer by any means. The ink cartridges are over $200 a piece. You will need to print invoices, renewal letters, statements and countless other reports. All this requires a really good printer if you have a large customer base. Our experience was that the smaller printer just could not make the grade for us. I'm no expert so there may be something better by now.

rcreech
12-22-2008, 11:36 PM
The only reason I ask....is I technically won't be doing any more printing them before.

Was just wondering if something was different!

I will be printing the same amount of invoices/day as before while using my Groundskeeper Pro.

I guess I will use mine until it dies!

Thanks for the info!

LushGreenLawn
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Our first laser printer was about $700. It was an HP. After two days we had gear problems. The HP repair tech said it was not the best for doing a lot of printing. The printer itself had some design and engineering flaws. He suggested the HP Color Laser Jet 4650 we have now. It's not that your printer won't work. It will. The problem is it's capability is limited.
The 4650 prints very fast. It has different paper trays to select your standard 8.5 x 11 or legal size where your invoices print from. Even this printer gets real hot when printing. I'm sure this will be a problem someday too. We felt at the time that if we were going to invest all this money in a program we really needed a printer that could keep up with what we were sending it. Buy the way I'm not recommending this printer by any means. The ink cartridges are over $200 a piece. You will need to print invoices, renewal letters, statements and countless other reports. All this requires a really good printer if you have a large customer base. Our experience was that the smaller printer just could not make the grade for us. I'm no expert so there may be something better by now.

TLG, was your first printer a color printer? if so, then yes, a $400 laser printer is a crap printer. If Rods printer is B&W (I don't know if it is) , a $400 B&W printer would be pretty decent, no matter the make or model.

tlg
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
TLG, was your first printer a color printer? if so, then yes, a $400 laser printer is a crap printer. If Rods printer is B&W (I don't know if it is) , a $400 B&W printer would be pretty decent, no matter the make or model.

Yes it was a color printer. We paid about $700 for it. It fell apart after about two days. Plastic gear problem according to the tech. He said HP knew about the problems and suggested the laser we have now. We needed the laser color printer to print our logo and a variety of other things that need color to punch things up a bit. The biggest downfall is the cost of the ink cartridges( over $200 bucks a piece) about $800 -$900 bucks to change them all out.

mrkosar
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
i guess i don't understand this fully, but why can't you use a regular printer to use this software?

Pythium
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Check out Hindsite Software. Out of St.Paul MN. We use it for both our fert and irrigation business. AWESOME FREE customer service, Great tech support, and pretty inexpensive. We have been working with them on some improvements to the software and they have a new release due out soon. They love to hear feedback and can easily custom tailor it (with queries and the like) to fit your needs. Works seamlessly with quickbooks as well.

tlg
12-23-2008, 06:58 PM
i guess i don't understand this fully, but why can't you use a regular printer to use this software?

You can. But it defeats the purpose of having the high dollar program you bought for speed. A standard printer is slooooooooow. A good laser printer is lightning fast. Real Green will recommend a laser printer.

Green Emerald
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
I suggest you look elsewhere. It is a very complex and expensive software package. Lawn Assistant 3 was written in an outdated programming language known as FoxPro.

The program is not intuitive at all. You may need to call tech support to figure out how to enter a customer. It is overly compliacted to operate simple tasks.

Customer service is not friendly at times. There is always the feeling that they are doing you a favor. It is a never ending money pit. Support is $70 a month. If you do not have support, then you pay by the minute and have no free updates.

Before Lawn Assistant 3 there was Lawn Assistant 2. Real Green's game is to, after a few years, discontinue the program and support and then sell you the new program, i.e., going from Lawn Assistant 2 to Lawn Assistant 3. There is, of course, a charge for this. If you do not have support, the new "program" runs thousands of dollars. Plus, they will charge you to convert the data from the old program to the new.

There is no such thing as buying the program, learning it and then weaning your way off support. The program needs a Real Green supplied password at the end of the year and after the program is discontinued, support for it stops a few years later and then it is useless.

Certain states have stringent contract rules and regulations. Real Green has a major problem in that it cannot handle these contracts. Certain companies have to use a separate database to do renewals. This is inexcusable.

In addition, the program does not come complete. There are "modules' that Real Green sells, for eg. "Mapping". This can cost a couple of additional thousand dollars. If you have more than 500 customers or 1 computer, you will pay a big increase over an under 500 customer single-user program.

You will be inundated with mailings from Real Green trying to get you to come to their "marketing" seminars. This will cost a few hundred dollars.

The program will give you fits at times. Customer service consists of leaving your name and number and waiting for a call back.

It is said that Real Green owns a Scotts LawnService franchise and this generates a good revenue source. In addition, Scotts LawnService utilizes Real Green software for their business.

Real Green is a frustrating, time-consuming program to learn and operate. Also, it is a money-pit program. Not quite as bad as a franchise but they are looking to have their hands in your pocket for as long as you own your business. It is not a program that can be easily learned or taught to other or new office employees. Take this into consideration when evaluating the program.

They offer someting like a 6-month money back guarantee. The problem is it is incredibly time consuming to set the program up. Each individual service must be entered along with a description that you want printed on the invoivce. Then these services must be "grouped" into a program. It is a time-sapping process.

Mapping can be done independently with Microsoft Mapoint. You enter an address and zip code and it will give you an order to service the customers. Once in order, you can then use an in-vehicle gps to get from stop to stop. The Magellan Maestro series units are excellent. You can bypass parkways, for example, because of utilization of a commercial vehicle. Very convenient.

Before Real Green, there was a good program called Lawn Solutions. Designed and programmed by a Greens Industry business owner. The program is still available. It is very straightforward and customized programming is available. There is no umbilical cord with the program, either. It can be purchased, utilized and you will be good to go for all the rest of the years you are in business. The gentleman's name to contact is Greg Worrel and he can be reached at 313-353-0351.

Good Luck!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Where do I find out more info. on this software?

Kiril
12-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Open Source Roxors!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Open Source Roxors!

What??????????

Pythium
12-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Please do give Hindsite a call... 1-888-752-5978 David Crary is the owner. He ownes a irrigation business as well. His software developers are top notch. I have personally met with then and they are great.

Kiril
12-24-2008, 10:06 AM
What??????????

Open Source software .... free for those who can handle the learning curve. Some open source is as simple to use as any pc/mac software, others require a bit more involvement. Some of the best applications and utilities I have ever used come from open source, and alot of your proprietary software had its beginnings as open source.

There are 3 that come to mind, however there are probably more.

GNUCash (for personal/small biz) -> http://www.gnucash.org/

The next two can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it and more, plus they use a real database.

SQL-Ledger - http://www.sql-ledger.com/

DotProject - http://www.dotproject.net/

SQL Ledger is probably the most robust for the desktop, DotProject would be the better choice for online collaboration.

rcreech
12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes I have a HP Laserjet printer (black and white) so it should work great!

It is a quick printer and I think I get something like 1600 copies out of a $74 cartridge.

Hope it works anyway...as I sure don't want to buy a high dollar printer! :cry:

trimmasters
12-24-2008, 10:37 PM
We have used RealGreen for about 7 years now and do not plan on continuing much longer. The software its self is not to bad. it dose help with marketing and some other aspects like reports and whatnot. The support is where it is lacking, and that's putting it nicely. we have been unable to resolve issues regarding a handheld unit for over 2 years that has never worked. we were promised a new unit and then they changed that. we payed the monthly lease on the non-working handheld for over a year. the last 6 months or so we stopped paying on it hoping that might get them to do something. so far nothing. (this is the service you can count on after you spend $10,000 like we have so far.)

what every one said in regards to support is true. Plan on waiting a few hours for a call back. when and if they do call you will get someone that either can't help or someone with a really bad attitude that acts like there doing you a favor.

If your decent technically you can get away from the support contracts for $1200 a year. you can make your own forms and have them printed for allot less than they charge, usually 50% less. you can use action envelope to make a custom envelope that replaces theres. depending on the quantity you save 30-70%

Its correct that they are discontinuing Lawn Assistant and moving to a new program, Service Assistant. if your not on support you pay full price for it.

That's all I can think of right now but i'm sure theres more.

Thanks, John

Oh, Val, If your reading this its been about 2 weeks from when you called and promised someone would get back to me on the handheld issue. As usual, no one has called!

rcreech
12-25-2008, 12:03 AM
I understand that the original hand helds had a lot of issues!

Other then that...does the software do a good job for you? Or are you just ticked about the handheld issue?

I have talked to and know quite a few people who have this software and they sware by it.

I just met a larger size lawn business up at the OTF and they have about 6,000 accounts. He says they couldn't operate without it!

Also have a friend that had 1600 accts and sold out two years ago. He had it then and he said when he starts up his next run he is going to start with it. In talking with these people it gave me the confidence to buy!

I plan on using the service up front...but after that, I should be good to go.

As far as the forms, I was thinking they were pretty reasonable. Am I wrong?

What is the cost of having them made vs buying them (envelopes and forms)?

Thanks,
RC

lawnsofsnh
12-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Prepays that once took months to complete now take about an hour of our time. Reall Green staff has always been helpful and has always stood by their product.

We have doubled our revenue since acquiring their software, largely due to upsells and marketing postcards.

Positive feedback is what we need on this site.....not negative remarks about Real Green Staff.

mrkosar
12-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Prepays that once took months to complete now take about an hour of our time. Reall Green staff has always been helpful and has always stood by their product.

We have doubled our revenue since acquiring their software, largely due to upsells and marketing postcards.

Positive feedback is what we need on this site.....not negative remarks about Real Green Staff.

No, this site is to help other LCO's with important decisions by giving suggestions and opinions on past experiences. That includes negative and positive comments. I will be making a significant investment in software here soon and need and want to hear all criticisms from everyone on all softwares.

zimmatic
12-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I will second the vote for Hindsite out of st paul MN The service is awesome Call them. It will be well worth your time.

Rayholio
12-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Real Green SOFTWARE is effective. If you buy all the modules, and use it to its max, it will increase your revenues, and give you great peace of mind, as you will always know what jobs are done, what needs to be done, etc. etc...

No kidding, it is expensive.. I'm too small to really justify the expense, but I do anyhow.. I recommend the software if you're close to your limit of customers for one crew, or if you're allready running multiple crews.. in other words, you need to be making decent profit, and be able to justify the AVERAGE of $200 a month upkeep and material fees to realgreen..

They DO try to upsale you at every turn.. but I can't blame them.. I would too. and I do.. which is why realgreen is justified.. I launched a couple new services this year, and ONLY by putting them as an upsale option on invoices, I got about 25% customer sign-up in a month.. My perimiter pest control service add-on which I am speaking of probably paid for the majority of this years service fees.. it also sold aerations, fungus treatments, and other things that I sometimes have a hard time bringing to customers attention.

LA3 is NOT perfect, and I too believe there is a disconnect between the company and their customers.. The product does not do EVERYTHING I need.. and I DO think it's too expensive... But this software is for companies that are 10 times my size, and bigger.. for them, this is the bargain of the century... The forms, and materials are great, and I havn't found them cheaper anywhere else.. as long as you are willing to buy in quanity..

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you want a KICKaSS marketing and upsale product... LA3 is it.. If you don't care about marketing and upsale all that much, save your self the realgreen headache, and find different software.. there are several that can do basic scheduling and billing..

If I could make a suggestion to RG, it would be to have another teir of pricing.. for us small guys with 1 employee, and 250 or less customers.. we require less support (I called twice all year for support.) we have tighter budgets.. ad we're a HUGE potential market..

Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the product.. and the people DO care.. they just have issues..

tlg
12-28-2008, 06:19 PM

We have dealt with Real Green for a number of years now and have had both good and bad experiences. I would say this is typical of most businesses. You occasionally have staff that are exceptional and you sometimes have staff that miss the mark on customer service. Why would a negative experience dealing with Real Green not be open to discussion in helping others make a decision. Memebers here have have given honest feedback to an honest inquiry. To squelch their comments surely limits the point of this forum IMO. My point here is that ALL information good or bad is worthy of making an evaluation of a company or their product.

rcreech
12-28-2008, 10:52 PM
We have dealt with Real Green for a number of years now and have had both good and bad experiences. I would say this is typical of most businesses. You occasionally have staff that are exceptional and you sometimes have staff that miss the mark on customer service. Why would a negative experience dealing with Real Green not be open to discussion in helping others make a decision. Memebers here have have given honest feedback to an honest inquiry. To squelch their comments surely limits the point of this forum IMO. My point here is that ALL information good or bad is worthy of making an evaluation of a company or their product.

:clapping:

Totally agree!

You have to state the good and the bad on here!

I bashed a herbicide on here one time and was contacted by the supplier (which it realy didn't work as they said and I think it sucks)!

They were pissed and were threatening to sue me for saying there product didn't work! It was HILARIOUS! :laugh:

Needless to say...they wrote me a check for the product I bought ($400) and told me to keep my mouth shut!

Kiril
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM
You have to state the good and the bad on here!

I bashed a herbicide on here one time and was contacted by the supplier (which it realy didn't work as they said and I think it sucks)!

::Saves quote for future use ::

rcreech
12-29-2008, 12:00 AM
::Saves quote for future use ::

HUH?????

Are you stalking me Kiril?

Why are you always starting crap?

Kiril
12-29-2008, 12:04 AM
ROFL .... thanks for the laugh.

rcreech
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Your welcome!

What did you get from my post? Why are you such an idiot on here?

Can you do me a favor?

In the future when I post, will you chime in with horribly stupid comments?

Oh...my bad...you already do that all the time!

Thanks buddy,

RC

Kiril
12-29-2008, 12:12 AM
What did you get from my post? Why are you such an idiot

Geez Rod, a bit sensitive today are we? :rolleyes:
Good thing you don't post in the irrigation forum.

mrkosar
12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
ok now that you two have vented a little can we get back sharing experiences about different softwares.

pros and cons of real green, q express, hindsite, evergreen, etc..

am i missing any?

there has to be another software that has marketing functions such as making upselling customers easy besides Real Green. anyone??? let's get this discussion going.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, I can tell you I'm still using Quickbooks, and I don't have any complaints with it, I also use their billing solutions, which is a mailing service, they mail out all my invoices for me on the 1st of the month, very convenient and easy to use.
I also do all my scheduling the old fashioned way, I simply use a calendar in MS Word and fill in each property each day of the week, doesn't take that long to do, nor is it hard to group properties close to each other on the same day.
I don't see spending $3k+ on software that does tasks that I can do myself in a short time, I can see if you were a HUGE company it would be worth it, but I'm still a 2 man crew, so these tasks are quite easy to do by hand or on Word & Quickbooks.

tlg
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
The problem with the software out there is it's a bit overwhelming for the average lawn care company. We use Real Green. We have a decent customer base that requires using something that fits our growth goals as well as keeping our business operating efficiently. The program is huge with lots to learn. It is and always will be a learning process with Real Green. That being said I am satisfied with how it works for us. Could it be better? yes! As I said before if I could write my own program I would because I know what I need it to do for me. For companies that have say a few hundred lawn fertilizing customers, most of the software available is way more than what they will ever need. These programs were intended for large operations. There is , I believe a market out there for small companies that don't require a big box program for lawn applications. If a less intense bare bones program exist I have not seen it yet.

Pythium
12-30-2008, 11:18 AM
http://hindsitesoftware.com/
Cons to Hindsite.. Sales and estimating..I have gotten it to work for me, but not how I would like. BUT..I have spoken with David Crary and he and his staff are trying to make this end better. Marketing..A LOT of data entry and a round about way of doing it but it works. (you have to do the entry any way for customers)
PROs to hindsite Marketing I know it is on here twice, but if you are good with Excel and Word, prepaid letters and upsells are a breeze..one letter 2000 customers and any prospects you have in their. Customer service top notch!!!! Questions are answered quickly and effiecently, they also remotely connect to your computer and fix, add to or do anything you need for the program on the spot. NO WAITING. They also have answered non Hindsite computer questions for me.(I do not do this often) Price is very affordable for what you get. Scheduling a breeze. the new version includes a reoccurring feature for fert. So you know when you need to schedule your next app. Time tracking with the PDA's each tech times in and out of each job, tracking productivity and billing better. Relatoinship They truly want it to work for you. Like I said earlier, I have met them, spent a day with them discussing things we would like to see the program do. David and Mike (senior programmer) really listened. NEVER any add-ons or calls upselling you either. Top notch operation all the way around!

We do our Dept of AG reporting on the PDA's as well..Less paper!! It works with Qucikbooks to do e-mail billing. Less paper!! We record parts usage for each irrigation job on the PDA's. The techs cannot time out with out doing it. They forget parts less, more profit. We have job checklist that need to be filled out before you can time out as well. Keeps cutomers happy.

Do call them and at least check it out. 888-752-5978 Tell them Bryant from Quality Services in Ohio referred you. Browse the website above. It may be right for you, It may not. I don't think they will pressure you into anything.

Pythium
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Hindsite. Their pricing structure is $250 N.R. set up fee plus $99 month for one license for a monthly subscription. or $1,069 for annual subscription. $148.5 month for 2 licenses or $1,604 for annual. 3= $198 mo or $2138 year. They offer pricing on as many licenses as you may need. This includes free support and upgrades. You have to pay for 1 license year round but can remove other licenses during the off season.

They also offer a purchase outright with annual support plans as well.

There is a 90 money back guarantee on the software as well. It states "if you are unsatisfiedd-for any reason- with Hindsite Software within 90 days of ordering the software. We will give you a full refund of your subscription or purchase price."

phasthound
12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm looking at Qxpress

http://www.qxpress.com/index.cfm/id/499/schedulingsoftwareforquickbooks.html

Anyone have any experience with it?

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm looking at Qxpress

http://www.qxpress.com/index.cfm/id/499/schedulingsoftwareforquickbooks.html

Anyone have any experience with it?

Qxpress is a good software for scheduling. It integrates with Quickbooks great with very little mistakes. We've used it for 4 yrs and switching to evergreensoftware.net only because we are growing. Ask me any questions.

I would like to take advantage of evergreensoftware.net hosting our data and taking care of the servers. I just need a cheap computer to get on the net and I can add another station very easily.

J.

mrkosar
01-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Q Express looked wonderful for scheduling, but what about marketing? I didn't see any marketing. I need something that makes it easy to send out letters 4 times a year.

mrkosar
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
what is evergreen giving you that q express didn't?

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
We are still setting it up. So for real world experience we don't have it yet. Evergreen stores all your info and take care of servers backups and maintence on computer. All you need is a cheap computer and internet access. Evergreen is a green industry program taken after pestpac which all the big pest control company use. The great thing is the repots and the almost no downtime. It looks up addresses to make sure you spell things right and it is a real address. The mapping is built in.

Qxpress syncs with quickbooks and evergreen doesn't. it's a little troublesome with 2 programs and making sure everthing works right. 99% of the time it syncs but if somethings happens and it doesn't it is very frustrating. If marketing you mean sending customers info and letters both programs do that. Evergreen seems to be a little more on setting it up and maybe more more custom except the reports and route sheets. But the software is more custom which means pretty diffulcult to start with.

J.

phasthound
01-02-2009, 01:45 PM
We are still setting it up. So for real world experience we don't have it yet. Evergreen stores all your info and take care of servers backups and maintence on computer. All you need is a cheap computer and internet access. Evergreen is a green industry program taken after pestpac which all the big pest control company use. The great thing is the repots and the almost no downtime. It looks up addresses to make sure you spell things right and it is a real address. The mapping is built in.

Qxpress syncs with quickbooks and evergreen doesn't. it's a little troublesome with 2 programs and making sure everthing works right. 99% of the time it syncs but if somethings happens and it doesn't it is very frustrating. If marketing you mean sending customers info and letters both programs do that. Evergreen seems to be a little more on setting it up and maybe more more custom except the reports and route sheets. But the software is more custom which means pretty diffulcult to start with.

J.

So it sounds like qxpress is much more user friendly and a lot less money. What, if any problems did you experience with the program and company service? Which version were you using. What did you like best about it?

mrkosar
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
yeah it sounds like q express is better. why are you switching?

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I see how you got confused on my description.

On evergreen you have tons of different ways to run reports. You can choose many different criteria. The actual report is not customizable. You can't move stuff around or make bigger or smaller.

On Qxpress you can run reports on only certain things and/or even start from scratch on some details they provide. They also let you look at other companies reports to see if you like theirs :clapping:(if they make it public). You can customize the reports; move stuff around, make smaller or bigger.

For reports, it's not that important to make bigger and smaller, but to provide good reports to run your company. I think for a smaller company QXpress is good. We used it for 4 years and never had major problems with it. (except reports) The customer service was always good. You call and they call you back and usually answer your questions nicely.

The main reason we switched was when you network 3 computers and have thousands of customers and previous customers and all their history it starts to slow down. We looked at the enterprise edition (runs faster) and all the other software programs out there and thought for us that evergreen was the best. Since we needed to upgrade we thought this was a good time to look at all the programs and see what we thought.

With all the networking and making sure everyone is working on the same file and all the other technical stuff; we made a choice to leave that to someone else. We are able to access anywhere Internet is available. The setup of evergreen may take a little longer at first, but then you hit a few buttons and the new customer gets a letter printed at the printer and an email welcoming them as a new customer. Their routes are ready to be printed and go out with the crews. Credit cards are automatically ran the next day and they are ready for the next week (best feature). Quickbooks ran CC one by one.

Evergreen seems to have the systems in place to make fewer mistakes in the office. It's a small monthly fee and you can access it everywhere. Auto-updates at their place. Let's say your computer hard drive crashes and all your customers are on there, what happens now? Hopefully you have backups. No need to worry with evergreen. This is my thoughts on the software.

Evergreen takes the place of quickbooks except writing checks to your vendors (accounts payable) and the Chart of accounts.

Qxpress is good software and I recommend it except about the hardware side of it. I do like evergreen actually being online. I got them to automatically put prospects from the website into evergreen; no double entry.

How does that sound? I just wrote my thought process when we where looking for software. If my computer crashes I just buy a cheap $99 computer and we are back up. No more trips to the computer logic praying they can save my database bc of a bad hard drive. We have backups nightly but I don't have to worry any more.

I hope that is a better explanation of why we switched. Qxpress is a very simple program and interacts with quickbooks very good. I have nothing bad to say about the Alocet team. They are coming out with some pretty neat stuff in the future. Methodintegration.com and also Qxpress online is in the works, but I just liked Evergreensoftware.net better

That's enough for now. Please ask any more question you have. I have been researching this for months now.

J.

phasthound
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
That's enough for now. Please ask any more question you have. I have been researching this for months now.

J.

Thanks Jeremy,
I found that very helpful. :)
How useful did you find the marketing tools with Qxpress?

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
How useful did you find the marketing tools with Qxpress?

What do you mean by marketing tools? Everyone means something different when they say marketing tools.

Qxpress has some decent mail merge for current customers. You set the mail merge up and filter the customer you want and it works.

Now Real Green Systems has the best marketing tools out there. You can buy marketing list from them they put the data in your computer and you enter how large their lot is and when they call you you have the information already their. You can send direct mail to them with all the neighbors listed on the card. On and on and on with RGS.

J.

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Now let me say that if you want to take full advantage of Qxpress sit down and learn the software. They just had a Users Conference and they said that most people are only using the simple things. Hardly anyone was an "advance user". So sit down and learn the software. The best thing to do is rent it. It used to be you could rent it for the first two months and they would take it off the purchase price. Try it for 2 months. I have Platium edition.

How many customers do you have Mr. Kosar and phasthound? How many employees do you have? What type of work do you do?

phasthound
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
What do you mean by marketing tools? Everyone means something different when they say marketing tools.

Qxpress has some decent mail merge for current customers. You set the mail merge up and filter the customer you want and it works.

Now Real Green Systems has the best marketing tools out there. You can buy marketing list from them they put the data in your computer and you enter how large their lot is and when they call you you have the information already their. You can send direct mail to them with all the neighbors listed on the card. On and on and on with RGS.

J.

Understood. Thanks. :)

Az Gardener
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Now let me say that if you want to take full advantage of Qxpress sit down and learn the software. They just had a Users Conference and they said that most people are only using the simple things. Hardly anyone was an "advance user". So sit down and learn the software. The best thing to do is rent it. It used to be you could rent it for the first two months and they would take it off the purchase price. Try it for 2 months. I have Platium edition.

How many customers do you have Mr. Kosar and phasthound? How many employees do you have? What type of work do you do?

What do you mean by simple things? We have rented Q and my wife has spent what extra time she could in Dec. entering information to get it up and running. We have a worksheet that the crew fills out when servicing a home. She has been entering that info along with all the extra items we sell so they will be able to use a smart phone to make those entries at the job site so that the billing will be done by the crew foreman.

He e mails it to the office, we check it for potential mistakes then OK it for billing and it is done. We can also e mail those worksheets directly to clients along with pic's if needed. The crew can communicate directly with the H/O rather than relaying info to me to call the H/O and vise versa.

That is our plan for Q is that simple stuff or more advanced do you think? I also wanted to have a basic client info in the program but they tell me the Q program does not do that. Things like client preferences, the dog's name, the maids name, irrigation controller labling, last fert application Etc.

The phone seems to have enough memory to set up that kind of info in a simple word doc. The other thing we are looking at is whether to use the smart phones or just one of those smaller laptops that are about $350. The phones are about 500. and I am not to impressed, too many steps to make a call. Screen is too small for usable Internet service, at least for my taste.

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 08:26 PM
What do you mean by simple things? We have rented Q and my wife has spent what extra time she could in Dec. entering information to get it up and running. We have a worksheet that the crew fills out when servicing a home. She has been entering that info along with all the extra items we sell so they will be able to use a smart phone to make those entries at the job site so that the billing will be done by the crew foreman.

He e mails it to the office, we check it for potential mistakes then OK it for billing and it is done. We can also e mail those worksheets directly to clients along with pic's if needed. The crew can communicate directly with the H/O rather than relaying info to me to call the H/O and vise versa.

That is our plan for Q is that simple stuff or more advanced do you think? I also wanted to have a basic client info in the program but they tell me the Q program does not do that. Things like client preferences, the dog's name, the maids name, irrigation controller labling, last fert application Etc.

The phone seems to have enough memory to set up that kind of info in a simple word doc. The other thing we are looking at is whether to use the smart phones or just one of those smaller laptops that are about $350. The phones are about 500. and I am not to impressed, too many steps to make a call. Screen is too small for usable Internet service, at least for my taste.

Hey both have the ability to have phones.

Qx has QX mobile for that. It sounds like you don't have Qx Mobile. You should look into it.

Evergreen has mobiles also.

What you where talking about does seem a little basic for Qxpress. It is a very powerful program. Just keep studing it and you will continue to find new stuff. **As for the basic client info that you would like to have in the computer you go to clients page and click on edit customer fields and then you can have drop downs or check boxes or text fields. It will take awhile to become a advance user!!!

J.

phasthound
01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey both have the ability to have phones.

Qx has QX mobile for that. It sounds like you don't have Qx Mobile. You should look into it.

Evergreen has mobiles also.

What you where talking about does seem a little basic for Qxpress. It is a very powerful program. Just keep studing it and you will continue to find new stuff. **As for the basic client info that you would like to have in the computer you go to clients page and click on edit customer fields and then you can have drop downs or check boxes or text fields. It will take awhile to become a advance user!!!

J.

This is interesting, keep it up!

Now you can rent it for 3 months and credit that amount towards purchase. I also see that QuickBooks now offers web based software. I wonder if Qxpress will follow suite.

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Quickbooks Online has been out for many years. Qxpress has a online based system but it is synced with your computer and not recommended right now.

I can tell you are interested in Qxpress so talk to stan at Green Industry Solutions @ www.qxpress.us . He was at the Users Conference and actually I think he helped set the conference up. He is a reseller for them and has tried Clip and alot of softwares out there. He can help you if you call him.

He is the one I talked to at first.

Tell me how you like the program once you get it? I can give you some pointers

J.

turf hokie
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I feel like such and idiot reading thru this thread. I have been considering purchasing a program to do the things that are being discussed but I am lost as to where to start.

We are somewhere between a small and big company and we do a lot of sub work as well.

One of the biggest thingst that we have a concern about is when I have a contractor that has us service 100 accounts, my question is...can the program track each property individually and then put it on one invoice or am I gonna have to knock down the oak in my back yard to make more paper because I have to invoice each stop individually.

Right now we are using excel and word which is getting us no where fast. We need a program but dont want to spend the rest of the winter pinned to the keyboard figuring out which program to go with.

It seems like everyone has a fav, just like the pg/z/t-3000 fans.

Q-express seems the way to go, but evergreen puts up a good show. Real green is a little bit more than we need right now. Anybody with any more input would be much appreciated.

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Turf Hokie

Both programs will do what your talking about. They look at it as many job sites with one bill to: address. It will print on one invoice (sounds like many pages long) with each individual job itemized.

Both programs offer pretty much what your looking for. 1. Qxpress: you put on your computer, back up, wait for updates, trapped to one computer, and switching between two programs (Quickbooks,QX)making sure info is correct (sometimes it is not for whatever reason)one up front cost and yearly renewals 2. Evergreen: any computer w/ internet, no backup needed, updates automatic, all customer info is in Evergreen and business info in QB. No switching back and forth. Small upfront cost to cover training and then monthly fees for servers, hosting, storage, and software. Evergreen software is a little higher developed software.

Both are good. Do you want to continue maintaining computers or working in your business. The choice is yours.

J.

zimmatic
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Check out www.hindsitesoftware.com I used Q express but it was to time consuming to enter in all the start and end times of each job. I know you could get Q mobile, but after talking with hindsite they were IMO superior to Q express. What I really want to know at the end of each year is if I had 10k in gross revenue's in mowing how much ACTUALL time did I mow. How much time was spent driving, or shop time. In the end did I make any $$ compared to how many hours I worked. In the end I want to know where every minute of the workday went and who or where it went to.

jeremyt1998
01-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Hey Zimmatic

Are you going to the user conference in Nashville.

Very nice said. That is true about the only thing that matters is what am I making at the end of the day, week, or year.

zimmatic
01-03-2009, 12:36 AM
No I am not able to go to Nashville. I wish I could. Its been snowing like every other day here in MN or at least it seams like it.

turf hokie
01-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks Jeremy, sounds like Evergreen might be a better option to keep me out of the office, I know my wife will appreciate that.:dizzy:

I will check out hindsite just to make sure I didnt miss something

mrkosar
01-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Turf Hokie

Both programs will do what your talking about. They look at it as many job sites with one bill to: address. It will print on one invoice (sounds like many pages long) with each individual job itemized.

Both programs offer pretty much what your looking for. 1. Qxpress: you put on your computer, back up, wait for updates, trapped to one computer, and switching between two programs (Quickbooks,QX)making sure info is correct (sometimes it is not for whatever reason)one up front cost and yearly renewals 2. Evergreen: any computer w/ internet, no backup needed, updates automatic, all customer info is in Evergreen and business info in QB. No switching back and forth. Small upfront cost to cover training and then monthly fees for servers, hosting, storage, and software. Evergreen software is a little higher developed software.

Both are good. Do you want to continue maintaining computers or working in your business. The choice is yours.

J.

you're starting to sound a little like a saleman, which worries me a little.

jeremyt1998
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
you're starting to sound a little like a saleman, which worries me a little.

Worried me a bit too!!!

I don't care which program you pick. I was just trying to say that the main advantage to me with evergreen is the hardware side. There is nothing wrong with QX and that is what I have said.

I do want more people using Evergreen out there so I can network with you and learn this together. I haven't started using evergreen yet on a daily basis. We go through training this month (January). I've had QX for many years and pretty good at using it. If you get on of these programs I familar with let's keep the conversations going and we all can learn things we didn't know.

jmastexaslawncare
01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
What is the cost of Evergreen? I have a demo scheduled for tomorrow morning. I've been comparing Clip / Qxpress / Real Green (although they have yet to reply to my request for more info).

jeremyt1998
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
$95 a month

jeremyt1998
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Which program did you guys end up choosing.

jmastexaslawncare
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks Jeremy. I guess overall that's not too bad. I'm just tired of trying to find something every couple of years that will meet our needs. Started with Quickbooks, now with Gopher, and as we grow these are just not working anymore.

jmastexaslawncare
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
So far, Evergreen is my top pick. There are less negatives than with the others. I'll wait for the demo before I decide for sure. It's really beneficial also to to have not have to backup data or worry about a computer crash (not fun!).

Jeremy, Good luck with your setup! I'll let you know if we go with Evergreen.

jeremyt1998
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Maureen

1-800-762-0301

She's the one I talked to. She's getting better on the green industry side of the software. Let her know I sent you and see if she remembers me:waving:

We will still keep QB for the chart of accounts and accounts payable (those bills never disappear)

J.

rcreech
01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Maureen

1-800-762-0301

She's the one I talked to. She's getting better on the green industry side of the software. Let her know I sent you and see if she remembers me:waving:

We will still keep QB for the chart of accounts and accounts payable (those bills never disappear)

J.

Jeremy,

Not sure what it is about your logo....but I love it!

Everytime I come on here and see it, it just really stands out to me as being so professional looking!

ted putnam
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
You might also look at RDF software out of Richmond TX. At one time somebody on here recommended them to me. I wrote the info down because at the time it looked very interesting. Sorry I don't have a link...

Az Gardener
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
My wife has been trying to get QX-press mobile set up on my phone for the last 3 days. Every time she gets it set up and gives it to me to show me how it works we run into a problem. Then we call them wait and hour or two for them to call back, it is getting very frustrating. That has happened several times and our training time allotment is almost up.

On top of that the Phone is too small for me to work with that kind of a program on a daily basis. I will let the foreman give me their input once we get it operating. Those words are teeny tiny on a phone. The glimpses we have seen of the program have been good and I am excited to see it in use. We may have to go to those small lap tops though. The Inspiron 9" I just got an add from Dell today $349.00 maybe a sign...

jeremyt1998
01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Az
I glad that you like the program itself. I thought they had a different mobile that was very basic "QXDC" for palm. That might be something to look into. It sounds like you have Qxmobile which is almost the whole program on window mobile. I see how that could be very hard on the eyes. Good luck on Learning. The main thing is make sure you have your "charge description list" set to your liking.

Isn't it nice; you just load the program and it loads all your customers, addresses and descriptions from quickbooks. I wish Evergreen did this.

Thanks for the compliment on the logo rcreech.

J.

zimmatic
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
A-Z if you get frustrated with Q I still suggest hindsite. You dont buy support minutes, and you can always get ahold of them. What I like the most about them-- If I have a problem with the pocket pc or smart phone, you connect it to your pc, log onto hindsite, you locate a opperator/tech then they can take control of your pc and fix the problem or walk you through the issue. It also syncs with quickbooks seamlessly. When I had Q it always took at least 2 hours to get a response either through e-mail or on the phone.

mrkosar
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
hindsite seems good (especially their customer service), but it is still pretty expensive compared with Q (almost as much as Real Green in the end). what is so much better about hindsite that makes it worth paying 3-4 times what Q is?

jeremyt1998
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
mrkosar, it seems that if you do want top quality support that you will pay more. If your okay with taking your time and you learning the software you pay less. Want more support = more$$; Less $$ money then less support. Sometimes you just have to wait for the great software until you get bigger. Take your time and make a good decision!!!

J

mrkosar
01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
i have no problem paying an extra 10 or even 20% for personalized service and good support, but i'm not going to pay an extra 400% for it. if hindsite's only competitive advantage over Q-Express is better support, then they are charging way too much. i know they are "paperless", but i legally have to leave an invoice at the customer's property so that isn't that isn't a big deal for my personal needs anyway. right now i don't know if i need handhelds, but it seems that hindsite software only works with them.

for those that use Q-Express Pro (or the top notch program for around $1,300 to purchase) does that include support and upgrades? if not, do you recommend paying their monthly support fees?

do most of you rent software or buy it? i figure i will be using this software for 3-4 years at least so why rent it.

phasthound
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
for those that use Q-Express Pro (or the top notch program for around $1,300 to purchase) does that include support and upgrades? if not, do you recommend paying their monthly support fees?

Interesting, I was just quoted $1454.00 for the platinum with mapping. How much support time did they offer & for how long? How long did they include upgrades for? I believe i was told these were part of the monthly fee except for about 2 hours support time.

mrkosar
01-07-2009, 08:08 PM
that was just an estimation based on research i was doing. i haven't looked into what the total cost will be (i'm not sure i will get mapping also). i'm sure, like everything, there will be hidden fees somewhere.

jeremyt1998
01-07-2009, 10:54 PM
QX really has no hidden fees. They really are inexpensive for what you get. When you buy the platinum ed. for $12 or $1300 you get one year of support. One year of support is something like 60 minutes. Usually if it is their fault they will credit the support back. Then on a yearly basis there is a Keep up plan which allows you to download the newest version and 60 min of support. $1450 for the mapping and the other seems good. phasthound you mentioned a monthly fee. What is the fee? I know that they have a Keep It Up yearly plan. Good luck.

Today we started training on the Evergreen and it might be over my head. Please pray for me!!!
J.

zimmatic
01-08-2009, 02:11 AM
I would have to agree with Jeremy, Q doesnt really have any hidden fee's and it is a good product for what you get. Yes hindsite is more, and you have to decide what that extra cost means to you. For me I wanted something more. As I grow I am trying to impliment process for my employee's I want to track time for everything to see what things work and what should be changed. As well as knowing where very single part, every gallon of fuel, every lbs of fertilizer has gone. As we all know this is very tedious almost conterproductive. However, the information can be invaluabale. Hindsite for me has been the closest to meet this challenge.
I once watched a history show on the rockefellers that started standard oil. Old man rokefeller and his wife would think it was fun going over there ledger charges that they would charge people, so they always knew how much money they had and the how's and why that had their money. Obviously this changed as they grew.
The point is---That in large part this is how they got rich, and as we all know self made "rich" people know where there money goes and where it comes from and they base many decisions on that infromation.
Each year I am in business I find myself, less and less in the feild doing the actuall work. If I do not have processes in place to track time & materials efficently from my employee's how can I accuratly bid and grow if I dont know how long a job will take.

I use hindsite, maybe in 3 years it wont be the software for me and I will move onto something else. Anyone reading this should evaluate the pro's and cons' of any software, since it is only as good as the understanding of the opperator. Most importantly no software will provide the "silver bullet" for a company's challenges, i.e. billing, scheduling, advertising. Rather only tools.

Az Gardener
01-08-2009, 02:23 AM
My prayers are with you brother Jeremy. We have decided to dump Q and go with Hinsight. Just too many stupid little problems, I think Borat wrote the program.

Wife spent an hour trying to enter employees wage next to their name. Every time you entered the wage the whole name disappeared. Entered a note for the guys at a job and they were not able to access it without an extensive search. One employee mysteriously came up as 888 rather than his name :dizzy:

I don't have time for this. We have over 40 hours invested and still are another 40 from figuring out this things idiosyncrasy's to be operating at what I would call a base level. Then who knows how long and how many more hoops to get it to do some of the unique things we want to track. Plus the only thing it operates on is select smart phones, not simple PDA's or lap tops.

jeremyt1998
01-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Az let us know how Hindsite works out for you. It seems to be set up for the IRR. side of the business. Let me know how it works for all parts of your business.

Good luck to you. Changing software is not an easy choir. I hope all goes well. Luckily you just started with it.

J.

zimmatic
01-08-2009, 02:39 AM
A-Z Make sure you commit the time they request for tranning it will be invaluable

Az Gardener
01-08-2009, 03:14 AM
My wife talked to them today and they said she is way ahead of the curve the way our information is formatted it should be a breeze.

We have been collecting all this information for years just on paper and it is just too time consuming to retrieve it for much good use. It also adds quite a burden to the guys in the field to write down what they did at each home and what materials they used, time in and out, all long hand. Then calculating the production ratio at the end of the day :dizzy: all this when it is 113-115 in the summer. I'm lucky anyone works for me :laugh: Billing takes 2-3 days and I only have 50 clients.

Its all jumbled but this is what my guys fill out at every job. This is what I want my program to track. We even track how much debris we haul away from a property. I know from history that the expense to haul away debris will be 8-10 % of my labor costs. I know that I will spend 1-2% on silly little things that are not worth the time to bill individually. So I need to incorperate that info into the bids. This is what tracking your numbers will give you. This materials list is just a brief glimps of what we use most frequently. The list for the Q program was about 300 items.

Total hrs._____
The Gardener

Client_________________________ Client # __________ Day________ Date_¨¨___-_____-______
Budgeted hours_________
Services provided by Who completed worksheet_______ Conditions _________ Score:_______
Name time in time out total time ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________________
Duties
____

zimmatic
01-08-2009, 03:32 AM
One of the things I like about hindsite is you can place end of job questions. The employee cannot clock out of the job until they are answered. Lets say you fertilize, one question could be, did you use the backpack blower to clean driveway after fertilizing. If they say yes it lets you go on.
This is the process I was mentioning in an eariler post. Now if you get a call from that client or you check on the work and find that there was no cleanup on that driveway, there is accountability for the employee. Since they HAD to view the question & answer it at the end of the job.
One of the trainers told me they have a garage door company using the software and they had 80 end of job questions before clocking out.
I have been using it since November. The largest wake up call for me was using it plowing snow. Now I know why you see people advertise plowing for 25 a plow. The plowing itself isnt that much time. On average it takes 7-10 min per driveway @ 3" of snow and shoveling. Its the drive time that kills and it cost money. I have 25 clients 4 commercial. Takes 10 hours @ 3 inches from the minute I walk out my door to when I walk back in. I dont plow that much snow, but it keeps some $$ comming and I dont get fat during the winter.
Then the best part I sync it with my computer, then when I bill at the end of the month send it quickbooks, then print invoices. It took me 30 minutes to send out bills this month from starting the computer to putting stamps on the envelopes. 30 clients billed. I cant wait until the growing season when I have many more clients to bill either monthly or daily and not have to wonder what day where the employee's there (since writing is sloppy) or sift through all the paper and notes created.

Az Gardener
01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't know what happened to my last post, that form is mostly missing this morning, it was there last night ;) here it is uncluttered.

Zim what are you running the Program on, Pda, smart phone, laptop?

mrkosar
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't know what happened to my last post, that form is mostly missing this morning, it was there last night ;) here it is uncluttered.

Zim what are you running the Program on, Pda, smart phone, laptop?

this is what i was hoping for when i started this thread. so, AZ does Q-express not allow you to print out invoices in the morning that are customized for the different clients? my workers are going to have to write some things out on the invoice without a software like hindsite, but i want to keep that data to a minimum. really the things i want on the invoice that are printed already are the client name, address, price already calculated, etc...The things the worker would have to write out would be site specific data like wind direction, time in and out, rate of fert/pesticides applied, and maybe date. can Q do this? i'm trying to make it as easy as possible for the worker and also reduce amount of time worker is doing paperwork. it seems hindsite would do this even better, but i'm not sure the price justifies my company's needs just yet.

jeremyt1998
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
mrkosar says "really the things i want on the invoice that are printed already are the client name, address, price already calculated, etc..."

Yes it will do that and they actually aready have preprinted forms or atleast a layout for you to use and you can customize the way you want.

J.

Az Gardener
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
To be fair we didn't get into Q far enough to know what it can and can't do. I put it like this when I canceled service. I used to have a 70 Chevy you had to pump it 3 times and get the shift lever in just the right spot to get it started. It still ran fine but I prefer my 04 Dodge that starts just by turning the key. Q was like the Chevy. You could get from A to B but it was not a quick trip, thats for sure.

I could be all wrong and Hindsight may be just as difficult to get up and running. At least the Hindsight demo illustrated some things we want to do as a standard procedure. At Q I had to ask if it was possible. I don't know if Hindsight has the ability to let you scan in a form and fill it out digitally. I may have to look for other software for that but I never got any indication that I could do it on Q. I want to record information besides billable items. That seems to be the fly in the ointment, I will find out soon enough.

Az Gardener
01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought I should explain the rest of our billing procedure so you can see how the previous form is used.
The crew fills out the worksheet on the job site.

They turn it in at the end of the day.

I pick them up and review them respond to any issues then file them.

At the end of the month I pull each clients worksheets put them in chronological order.

I take another form "Billing cheat sheet" and transfer the billable info to it and staple them all together with the billing cheat sheet on the top.

While I am entering the info onto I make notes if something is missed. Like plants requested and delivered but not listed on worksheet or no light check in a month

I then transfer total hours and dumping info to a master sheet in the clients file so I can be sure we are within budget.

I then give the stack to my wife to enter into quick books.

She checks the cheat sheet against any receipts that were designated to a client to be sure we did not forget to bill it.

Then the package goes into the clients permanent file for a couple of years then we toss them.

We review the master sheet the first of every year to see if a rate increase is in order. If a client has questions about last months bill or a service we can pull the file and see what happened.

You know it looks pretty ridiculous here in print. I hope Hindsight can do all that. We need a prayer emotion for this spot.

here is my billing cheat sheet, It started out as notes on a sticky but I got tired of writing the same things over and over.

fl-landscapes
01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I have been using QuickBooks for years and as far as billing and keeping track of expenses doing quotes and estimates ect.... I think it's great. I send a copy to my accountant every quarter and it couldn't be more simple. I don't know much about Real Green but it sounds to be more of a marketing tool than a accounting tool. Obviously if you can generate more revenue from the marketing than the software costs.....well then it doesn't cost you anything. I have to look into Real Green...sounds pretty cool.

zimmatic
01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
A-Z I am using a Dell Axim X 50. I have 3 of them. The work great so far.

Q does have pre printed forms for spraying and fertilizing. As far as I know Hindsite does not. To me that is a non issues since I use standard spray forms and then insert client info, temp. wind speed etc. I sent up hindsite so it can capture what transpired at the clients house. I.e travel time, work time, materals used (how much) and if there are any issues. If you are worried what and how much information a employee/tech can acess on the pda it can cutomized.
I used Q for 1 growing season to know that it wasnt what I wanted for what I needed. It is a very good product and it does what it says.
I am haveing a local computer guy stop by the office to set up a wireless router so that when the employee's show up in the moring and at the end of the day they can upload and download information to the pda's using bluetooth.