PDA

View Full Version : Nurse Tank Options

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Anyone have opinions on the brand of nurse water tank I should look into?
Would be looking 40-60 gallons and would be filling 4 gal backpack sprayer from it. Would like one that I could fit a common garden hose to with a valve for easy filling into the backpack. Thanks.

mngrassguy
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Fleet Farm or Northern Tool.

mngrassguy
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
I know I'm gonna get flamed on this one but...I know a guy who fills his bp from a customers hose. Few people are ever home and he always knocks. If someone is home he'll ask. If nobody's home he'll try to use the hose in back. He knows who has hoses out (almost everyone) and who might care. Treating 15- 20 lawns you shouldn't need to fill more than a few times.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I wondered about that, but it didn't seem terribly professional to fill at a customer's home.....
If I can treat 4-5 customers with a single backpack full, it would make a real difference (most of my customers are here in town - I could simply run home, fill the backpack, mix, and go). However, if I am spraying like 1 customer per backpack full, then that is WAY too inefficient. Thus my reason for asking about nurse tanks.

mngrassguy
12-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I usually get 3-5 L on one 3 gl fill if I'm blanket spraying. I seldom have to blanket treat lawns with a bp. If weeds are light, a full bp will last me all day.

KACYDS
12-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Most of the time a BP will last me all day, but on the days that I use more, I carry a couple of 2.5 gal jugs on the truck with water. I know you suppose to triple rinse these jugs, crush them and dispose of them.:nono::nono: But I reuse the Safety oil jugs (dormant oil). I always have a couple of them on the truck with water in them.

Hopefully this helps............:usflag:

SpreadNSpray
12-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I would buy a 20-50 gallon from Fleet Farm or Northern. If you end up expanding you will probably end up getting a 200 gallon skid tank. Then you could still use the small one with straight water for mixing specialty products.

We use 200 gallon Lesco space savers to fill the Permagreens. Straight water in the 200g. So we can always mix specialty products in 2 gallon pump ups.

I wouldn't fill up at the customers. I have had to do it 3 or 4 times and I always feel uncomfortable. Plus it wouldn't be as efficient.

DLAWNS
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I bought a 60 gallon tank from Northern Tool. I believe it cost like $130. It was so worth it.

RigglePLC
12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I am not saying I am cheap--HOWEVER--you could consider using a plastic 55 gallon drum--one that formerly held Three-way. I had some a few years ago, and a used barrel company charged ME! (And they clean and resell the drums). Five dollars to get rid of it--after signing a paper that said it was triple-rinsed. Lay the barrel on its side, drill a couple 3/8 inch holes in the bed and pass a steel cable around it to secure it. The drum holes are 2 inches and 3/4 inch, so a 3/4 inch spigot valve works fine. The larger hole requires a special wrench to unscrew it--so be sure to ask the barrel company to loosen it for you. Or your dealer should be able to put you in touch with a larger company or farmer that is using chemicals by the drum.
You could also buy a 200 gallon tank. Later when you buy your skid sprayer--use a couple T connections and you have 400 gallons capacity.
Let us know how you work it out.

THC
12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I know I'm gonna get flamed on this one but...I know a guy who fills his bp from a customers hose. Few people are ever home and he always knocks. If someone is home he'll ask. If nobody's home he'll try to use the hose in back. He knows who has hoses out (almost everyone) and who might care. Treating 15- 20 lawns you shouldn't need to fill more than a few times.

Well I must have been doing something wrong because I calibrated at 1 gallon a thound sq ft and had to fill up sometimes twice a house. I have a 4 gallon shur flo battery Bp.

(I use the tap if I can:() but I only have a dozen or so customers.

I actually think my problem was over applying. Instead of doing it like I was on cement, where I could see I was getting everything wet, I would hover for a sec over weeds to make sure I got them. Plus I had my back pack on the highest pump power, the idea was to speed up the jobs.

I also just carried around those blue water containers that you take camping with you. They are 5 gallons each, but like I say, I used the customers outside tap when ever I could.

I'm thinking I want a skid this year even if I can't justify it. Not the first stupid purchase I've ever made.

mngrassguy
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
This sounds like someone isn't licensed. Am I right?

THC
12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Nope. Will be this year, I got the books already. I have about 4 1/2 months. I only sprayed for some of my mowing customers and neighbours.

mngrassguy
12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Glad to hear your going to make it right.

THC
12-23-2008, 11:27 PM
What do you think of this rig?

I can only buy from co. that will deliver to winnipeg.

It has a centerfugal pump, not a diaphram. Price is in the ball park.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1066

Would I be able to put a 3/8 hose on this and have it work right?

For a few hundred more.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=29

THC
12-23-2008, 11:36 PM
AND here is a pump/engine combo for $1200 or so.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1098

ted putnam
12-24-2008, 12:03 AM
You'll have some hellacious agitation with a 60gpm pump. If you could fit in the tank you'd be able to surf on the waves.:laugh: Theoreticaly, you could empty that tank in about 3.5 minutes. Centrifugal pumps give you volume not pressure. I'm not sure how it'll stand up to chems. Make sure all Gaskets/O-rings are Viton. Generally speaking, diaphragm and piston pumps are a better choice than centrifugals and rollers for lawn care. However, your choice does indicate "lawn spraying"...

mngrassguy
12-24-2008, 03:41 AM
First one bothers me with the engine on the bed. Might run hot because of lack of air movement. Also, exhaust would melt plastic fert bags. I agree with Ted all the way.

THC
12-24-2008, 08:19 AM
So, diaphram pump is better eh. That's the kind of pump Gregson Clark uses but I'm not sure the delivery to Canada.

RigglePLC
12-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Centrifugal pump is OK, but it is not self-priming. It can lose prime if you drive when the tank is one-third full. Must be mounted at the lowest level of tank. Not suitable for dissolving fertilizer in water as suction side plugs up. My engine and diaphrgm pump are in bed--does not run hot. However I turned the exhaust deflector upward to reduce the chance of starting plastic fert bags on fire. Not guaranteed. Much, much more convenient if you can easily start the motor from outside the truck--you do not want to put down tailgate and climb up into bed to start motor. I use long rope and pulley. This works best if you have some kind of cover over moter to protect from rain. If reel is above motor--YUCK--all the crap, chemicals, and grass that accumulate on the hose will drip onto the motor. The inside of the bed will frequently be a little wet due to drips from the gun or if you clean the filter--messy if you have bags of fertilizer in bed. It is an advantage if you can slide a pallet of fertilizer into the bed--for transport when tank is empty--truck must be a one-ton to handle the weight--even if tank is empty. A sawed in half (half pallet) might be a good idea to keep the fert dry and out of the wetness.

RigglePLC
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
The Rittenhouse "baffle balls" are a new idea to me. They look really complex to assemble.
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1821

Maybe I need them with my 400 gallon flat bottom tank. LOL! I always thought that splashing, sloshing, high-tide effect behind me was just part of the job

DUSTYCEDAR
12-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Surfs up baby

azjojo99
12-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I have never used a manual reel, but I think it would get old real fast. Every time I'm rewinding 3-400' of hose, I'm glad there is a button to push.

mngrassguy
12-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Actually, my electric reel broke down this summer (bad power supply). I reeled by hand for two weeks and it wasn't all that bad. On big props I ended up dragging the hose around a lot. Baught a 6 gauge cable with a fusable link. It was nice to have it back though.