PDA

View Full Version : Granular Weed/Feed + Spot Spray control

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Would like to ask the veteran Northern Lawn squirters out there if a granular Weed & Feed + Spot Spray program would be effective, vs a straight liquid blanket spray approach? We're talking northern lawns, none of which being out of control broadleaf weed problems.

The reason I ask is that I will be using a backpack sprayer for liquid apps, and am just not certain I can blanket spray effectively with it. If I could spread a good weed and feed product, then spot spray as necessary, and have good control...to me this is worth looking into.

But, need opinions, perhaps I am way off base here.....

mngrassguy
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I would stay away from weed n feed fert for three reasons:

1. The seldom work well. Timing has to be just right. After a heaver dew/rain ect.
2. The are expensive.
3. They are messy. I tried a bag once and I could taste the weed control afterwards. Yikes!!!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Although Expensive, I have used Scotts Lawn Pro Plus Weed with great results, I spreaded it a little higher than they recommended, the weeds were brown the following week and the lawn was super green. You can get it at any lowes or home depot, so its easy to find, although it is very pricy, but for those troublesome lawns, well worth it!!

SpreadNSpray
12-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I would stay away from weed n feed fert for three reasons:

1. The seldom work well. Timing has to be just right. After a heaver dew/rain ect.
2. The are expensive.
3. They are messy. I tried a bag once and I could taste the weed control afterwards. Yikes!!!

+1
Not worth it.

mngrassyguy, nice tag line. I've been wondering why we live in this state all year. :dizzy:

FdLLawnMan
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I tried Weed N Feed one year and will not go back. You can never get the exact blend of fertilizer you want, the grass has to be wet, and it can't rain for two days. It is also expensive as hell and if you get any of it on ornamentals, oops, I'm sorry sir, I will buy you a new plant. IMHO, professionals do not use these type of products.

mngrassguy
12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Ya, if you can taste the drift, I'm sure non-target plants will "taste" it too.

Marcos
12-24-2008, 01:47 AM
In your initial marketing approach to your customers, focus primarily on turf density.

A thick, dense lawn will choke out the lion's share of encroaching weeds, and do this weed control for you and the customer!

In order to do this...you often have to get the customer to "buy in" to the idea that it's going to take extra time, sometimes renovation work, seeding, soil aeration, topdressing w/ compost, etc.

The hardest part: Telling them it'll not happen OVERNIGHT!
But... y'know! You'll screen out from the get-go alot of the "slacker" customers this way!:dancing: :laugh:

In other words, what you're looking for is a spirit of "partnership" :clapping: that the other previous lawn care companies were (possibly) afraid to extend to these customers, or maybe they were too lazy, or too "set-in-their-ways" to know any better.

I've reached the point with 90% of my established accounts, where I don't use a blanket application of pre-emergent anymore.

In most cases, all we do is treat sidewalk / driveway edges with Dimension WSP or corn gluten, depending upon what the contract calls for. (These areas are the MOST prone to breakthroughs, obviously!) Then we just fertilize the rest accordingly.

And it's amazing how little weed control you'll ultimately need, when you're focusing on the longer-term organic goal of "building the soil"....instead of just "feeding" the grass' short term needs with empty atmosphere-derived N's, and the like.

mngrassguy
12-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Marcos

I think your in the wrong forum. This is pesticide, herbicide & fertilizer applications. Organic is the next topic down. Don't feel bad, my wife gets lost a lot too.:laugh:

LushGreenLawn
12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Although Expensive, I have used Scotts Lawn Pro Plus Weed with great results, I spreaded it a little higher than they recommended, the weeds were brown the following week and the lawn was super green. You can get it at any lowes or home depot, so its easy to find, although it is very pricy, but for those troublesome lawns, well worth it!!

You spread a little higher than recommended, therefore breaking a number of federal and state laws, and introducing nutrients onto our waterways that otherwise would not be there.

Do us all a favor, and stop trying to apply fertilizer when you don't know what you are doing. Every state in the country is concerned about nutrients in the waterways, and some states are starting to restrict the type and timing of our fertilizers. The biggest offenders are homeowners, but when you have a licensed applicator who does not know better, spreading over a large number of lawns, the damage can be extensive.

These are things they teach you when you get your pesticide license, I would suggest that you take whatever class your state offers, and get licensed, because if you get caught without one, you could face severe fines.

If you are licensed, and ou just choose to ignore the laws that you have been tought, then the consequenses are much worse.

mngrassguy
12-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks Lush. You beat me to the punch.

More is better? NOT!!!!

Marcos
12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I've reached the point with 90% of my established accounts, where I don't use a blanket application of pre-emergent anymore.

In most cases, all we do is treat sidewalk / driveway edges with Dimension WSP or corn gluten, depending upon what the contract calls for. (These areas are the MOST prone to breakthroughs, obviously!) Then we just fertilize the rest accordingly.

And it's amazing how little weed control you'll ultimately need, when you're focusing on the longer-term organic goal of "building the soil"....instead of just "feeding" the grass' short term needs with empty atmosphere-derived N's, and the like.

Marcos

I think your in the wrong forum. This is pesticide, herbicide & fertilizer applications. Organic is the next topic down. Don't feel bad, my wife gets lost a lot too.:laugh:

mn, my lawn business focuses on successfully finding the "bridge" back & forth between traditional chemicals and organics, so there's no reason I can't post in both forums! :waving:

I am not 100% against the use of lawn chemicals, by any means!
I am however, thoroughly against their overuse!

Aside from occasionally needed spot-treating with quick-acting esters and the aforementioned Dimension WSP, I strive to do everything else organic.
It's critical that organic proteins like corn meal, alfalfa meal, and soybean meal are provided to feed the soil's massive population of naturally occurring microbes, and of course, to provide the desired "green".

Traditional chemicals vs. organics doesn't have to be an "us vs. them" argument, gentlemen!

Quite honestly, once you spend a year or two delving into it with your customer base, there's alot of 'yin and yang' balance to found in the correlation between the two, as long as the chemicals are utilized extremely sparingly!

And again...the key to (most) weed control in turf, is having thick turf from the get-go.
Once you get to this echelon of achievement WITH your customers..."blankets" of 2,4-d based pesticides and pre-emergent apps will become a waste of money for BOTH OF YOU!! :)

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
When I stated I applied with my spreader setting a tad bit higher than on the package I was referring to a SEVERELY weeded lawn to try and get this under control, this is by no means an everyday tactic. I have recently this fall started experimenting with Organic based products because afterall I care just as much about the environment and health of my kids and dog as anyone. I haven't found any products yet that compare to the results of chemicals, especially as you referred a blanket spray that won't harm the grass yet kill the post growth weeds, but hopefully soon someone will develop a product line equivalent in results without the harmful chemicals.

superintendent
12-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Pre-emerge with a fertilizer in with it is the way to go. I use RegalStar II with a 21-0-21 in the spring and this product is great. It's expensive but if you use it on some of your customers you will see a great differents. Don't know why they are saying it's messy, but I guess their use to spraying.

mngrassguy
12-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Who said pre-em's are messy? This discusion is about post weed controls on granular fert. But now that you brought it up, some pre-em's are very messy.

superintendent
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
my bad must have read it wrong

mngrassguy
12-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Easy mistake. No biggy.