PDA

View Full Version : why buy from Christmas Decor, Brite Ideas, or Holiday Bright

kyfireman2004
12-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Can someone tell me where to buy wholesale from.........?
I sure would be nice to know where Christmas Decor, Brite Ideas, or Holiday Bright buy their lights.
Its in china.........duh but where.
There's a lighting expo in oct or nov over there that would be nice to go to and find some manufacturers.

wurkn with amish
12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah they do buy from china, so what?
I buy from Brite Ideas for 2 reasons.... Unique product line and exceptional customer support.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Bethlehem lights will sell to ya.

kyfireman2004
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah they do buy from china, so what?
I buy from Brite Ideas for 2 reasons.... Unique product line and exceptional customer support.

I guess i am just not into paying 500% mark up. I don't buy mulch from a retail nursery. I go right to the mulch yard.
Same with plants, I go to tree farms 80% of the time.
So why buy from a reseller?

David Gretzmier
12-24-2008, 01:32 PM
It's a matter of volume and complexity. to buy from China you first need an american- chinese agent. You cannot just go to a manufacturor, and buy. This agent will work with the manufacturor, and customs to get your product to the US. The fees at customs and shipping will eat up alot of the savings you think you will see.

volume is another issue. if you want anything, you need to think 40 foot shipping container volume. so yes, you can buy, let's say, clear c-9 bulbs, but we're talking probably 1000 plus boxes of 1000 each, or 1 million bulbs, and no, that is not an exaggeration. even for a fairly large volume installer like myself, that is a 20-30 year supply. You can consolidate some items, such as when the same manufacturor makes mini-lights and garland, or wreaths, etc. but no one manufacturor makes all of it. In fact it seems to be spread over many. To buy several containers and hold them in inventory for several years will cost you plenty in cash or borrowing costs and warehouse costs. I'm not convinced the money you save buying direct ( and your dreaming if it is more than a 250 percent mark up. ) will be worth it unless you do over 250k in new product per year.

we have just reached the point where we use about a container and a half load every other year total of all items we sell, including c-9's, c-9 cord, wreaths, garland, starbursts, metal displays, etc. I buy it all from Holiday Bright lights, make a fair profit, they deal with the ordering shipping hassle, no major cash outlays, minor warehousing costs, and only carry over about 1/3 of a container this year.

there is a reason many distibutors are close on price for c-9 cord and bulbs. once you buy them from china and get them here and warehouse them, there is only so much profit you can make.

wurkn with amish
12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Dave said what I guess I really wanted to say. Im just not as wordy.
For smaller companies we cant use that much nor do we want to be retailers, which is the only way I can see getting rid of that much inventory.
Plus will china give you a warranty?

KCfireman
12-25-2008, 11:05 PM
best christmas lights are whelen blue/red led light bars lining your driveway

David Gretzmier
12-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks Kansas for that amazing info on purchasing wholesale from china.

Dreams To Designs
12-26-2008, 12:17 PM
We have a place not far over the bridge into Philadelphia that is a direct importer, but will sell any quantities you may need, from a box to a case or even a container.
http://www.ormaninc.com/

Have also purchased from GKI Bethlehem, and they are fair to deal with. They typically supply garden centers but have created a decent installer purchasing program.
http://www.bethlehem-lights.com/

Kirk

hotrod1965
12-26-2008, 02:24 PM
A container holds about 48,000 strands of lights. Mark up from distributors is about 30-50% depending on what the product is.

David Gretzmier
12-26-2008, 07:36 PM
48000? cool. at a 100 mini-lights per set that's almost 5 million lights. that would be an awesome tightwrap.

turf hokie
12-26-2008, 07:50 PM
OH BOY, this thread is gonna go downhill fast.....

I am more than willing to pay for some markup by not having to buy a container of one particular item. I have a hard time figuring out how my warehouse filled up so fast as it is. Never mind buying that kind of bulk.

Also, by the time you get a mediator, go to China, check out the product, find out something got shipped wrong, send it back, get the proper material, oh crap, I just spent more than I wouldve if I was trying to be cheap and buy from a stateside vendor and now Christmas is here and my stuff still isnt.

Besides, China isnt gonna let me do an RMA, like my vendors here will.

FYI -- RMA = Return Merchandise Approval

Paradise Landscapes
12-26-2008, 09:00 PM
best christmas lights are whelen blue/red led light bars lining your driveway

Ain't that the truth!!

FF/ EMT Charles Miller

David Gretzmier
12-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Although I appreciate the service you provide to your community, can you guys hijack another thread with your funny jokes?

Casey jones 1
12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I just found this company called christmasworld.com that is having blow out pricing on their christmas lights and storage. I just ordered C-9 lights for next year, and orders over $100 are free shipping.

www.christmasworld.com

-Casey-

hotrod1965
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I just found this company called christmasworld.com that is having blow out pricing on their christmas lights and storage. I just ordered C-9 lights for next year, and orders over $100 are free shipping.

www.christmasworld.com

-Casey-

Gee, if you are going to try and get free advertising at least don't make it your first post, and at least say your location is different from the company!

ChristmasWorld.com
938 South 2000 West Ste. 210
Springville, UT 84663

Scagguy
12-30-2008, 11:54 PM
The savings isn't that great to be buying lights for next year. Not only that, but the description on the wiring leave a lot to be desired. Second rate company imo.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-31-2008, 10:04 AM
YEAH I DID find the wiring or lack of wire description kinda strange.

Casey jones 1
12-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Gee, if you are going to try and get free advertising at least don't make it your first post, and at least say your location is different from the company!

ChristmasWorld.com
938 South 2000 West Ste. 210
Springville, UT 84663

Mr. Hotrod,

Yes I do live in Provo, Utah which is not to far from where this company is located. I contacted them and they told me that they are not set up for "Retail" services and I would have to order over the web. I like the quality of Village Lighting products, and found that they were cheaper then other competitors around. Plus I like it when I can support a local company.

Casey Jones

David Gretzmier
01-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm sure it is just a coincidence that you are in Utah. And it is your first post. regardless, folks will buy if the quality and price makes sense.

Christmas Creations
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
From being on both sides of this business, as an owner of a decorating company and now a supplier of lighting products. There is the view of your clients that you need to realize, we all have decorated million dollar homes. What impression did you leave with that customer in the begining? You got the job somehow, was it your price..was it your sales techinque? Are you still decorating that house? Impressions will go along way in this business, I haven't known too many guys with a ladder and truck burning up the business.

I used the catalog to sell my services, it was easy to point to the catalog and show them a couple samples. It set me apart from the guy running down to Home Depot...you don't think your client shops at Home Depot, you're wrong. It's smoke and mirrors, let your clients know your bigger than you really are...it's that the american way? I had my trucks and trailers decalled up, door hangers and postcards where my main direct marketing. But I still put ads in the local paper, ran radio ads, ads in local home magazines. When I had my business, I made good money on something I loved to do...make money!! I don't know if I could have succeed in my goals without a company like HBL, BI, CDI. I'm glad with my choice to use a company that understands the business. GKI is a straight supplier that sells over 30mil a year, the above companies have structured policies to help companies achieve their goals. Yes, there are other companies out there, many have just popped up on the radar. I feel they have more to prove in the market, time will tell with them.

HBL is stronger than ever, with members like David...we will continue to put out new products and innovate newer products that help our installers across the country.

I don't care if you use a company like mine or not, just make sure to have good customer service policies in place so you don't ruin the industry. Thanks for your time.

off the soapbox.