PDA

View Full Version : If you get a min. check out my website

wright5223
12-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Let me know what you guys think, I know it's plan but that's how I want it brief and to the point Thanks!
www.jmyerslawns.com

JDUtah
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Looks good.

Two suggestions...

Not sure what market you are going for but I would get a new pic of you aerating; with no hoodie, and no shorts. Wear pants (no cargo pockets) with a company embroidered polo shirt. It will appeal to the folks with more money to spend...

Think of it a challenge to not use the word "I" in any part of your site except the "about me" page (which also uses it too much IMHO). The customer could care less about "you" what they do care about is "themselves" and how "what you do will help them". Telling about you and what you "do" does not directly tell them how you will help them.

2 continued,
You have two marketing programs going on at the same time, and they do not work together. You say you have no employees; trying to tell your potential customer that they will get a personal touch, but throughout the site you use singular AND plural nouns. "I" in one paragraph and then "us" in the navigation menu... I would pick one and stick to it. Are you a company that (will require) multiple people, and thus plural should be used, or are you always going to be solo in order to provide the personal touch. In which case, "Us" is not helping you market that position...

Anyways, take it for what it is worth. Just my .02

I think keeping it plain and to the point is a good idea. I hope it brings you lots of business!

topsites
12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm straight with the picture, better yet it's a Walk behind aerator, perfect.

I might recommend a thorough spell check :p

Peace

MattL
12-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi, first off I'd like to say nice job on the design. It's simple yet colorful and flows very nice.

If your thinking about trying to get on google you might want to add the phrase "Northeast Johnson County Lawn Care" in to your index page title. If you would like to keep your name in the title maybe some thing like "Northeast Johnson County - Jon Myers Lawn Care". with very little effort you could beat the top 2 sites ranking for the phrase "Johnson County Lawn Care".

Also some thing that might be helpful for the Services page would be to add sub links. What I mean by this is, when you click on Services a sub link pops out on that page and would look like this:

Services
+ Lawn Mowing
+ Lawn Core Aeration
+ Gutter Cleaning
+ Other Services

each of those sub links would link to that specific section of the page. All it would do is make it easier for potential customers to find the specific service that they require without scrolling down to look for it.

over all I think the site looks great!

Green Pastures
12-24-2008, 10:12 AM
basis

weekly BASIS.

I know I'm a dick, but I stopped reading when I saw the grammar/spelling problem.

I don't bother to much with post's on forums. When I see grammar/spelling problems on your website it's a huge problem.

Spell check, use it.

I guarantee you will lose potential customers due to errors like that.

robertsturf
12-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Jon nice try but it needs spell-check real bad. I do like the over-all layout of the site, simple and to the point.

Kiril
12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Personally, I think the site needs ALOT of work, and hire someone to do your writing.

One of the few sites I have seen using a strict DTD .... downside, not even close to valid code. Don't use a strict DTD unless you are going to take the time to validate the code.

So you get my cut and paste response.

1) Code is not valid. Please validate!!

HTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

2) Mixture of hardcoded style, inline style, linked style is a NIGHTMARE.
Separation of style and content is the recommended way to maintain your code.

3) Limited or no document structure/outline

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html

4) Limited or no accessibility compliance

WCAG/Sec508: http://www.cynthiasays.com/fulloptions.asp

In short, yahoo's site builder is falling WAY short.

Team-Green L&L
12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I am going to save my suggestions for those who are seriously committed to their web presence. I am so tired of trying to help people who won't 1. Learn how to build a website correctly" or 2. Pay someone who knows how.

I look at web design like construction. If everyone picked up a float and some bricks just because they wanted a house then we'd have a world of rubble. I think the internet needs to be as regulated as construction. If you aren't certified to do web design you shouldn't be doing it. I am afraid that, with the creation of sub-par websites at a faster pace than ever before, we are headed towards an environment that will be ugly and unusable (kind of like Afganistan).

Sorry, you're not the first by far and I'm getting aggravated. It's like watching a homeowner monkey-*u*k a wall for 3 months just to be a temporary eye-sore to the community until it either falls or he has it build correctly. At which time, the homeowner will be mad that it is going to cost him more to fix it than to build it correctly in the first place and also because the homeowner has sweat equity in a poor project.

It becomes a hard sale for the designer that should've done the work to start, ruins the pizazz of the great new site because all the customer can think about was all the time and efforts they spent doing something that they had no idea how to do and by this time they have spent far too much time trying to learn this skill that they almost think they know what they're doing themselves and get in the way with suggestions and theory that is simply a waste of time.

You've been there before. It's all construction. Quit littering our online community with buildings that are condemned before groundbreaking.

wright5223
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I took a min. to look over my website and spell checked myself, "WoW" I made a few bo-bo's Lession learned take your time!

mdvaden
12-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Try a new photo.

The sweat suit is okay I guess. Sort of looks like a homeowner with a professional machine.

But the main thing - don't take a photo with the street behind you where half the image is blacktop with sealant repaired cracks.

Take the photo the opposite way, with a nice house behind you, even if you need to park a vehicle to protect your tripod which will probably be on the street.

Not sure if you have ever looked at my redwood pics. I'm usually wearing my embroidered green company shirts, and sometimes a vest with them. Not always, but frequently. When I head down to camp at the redwoods with my trailer, half the shirts hanging on the rod are my green embroidered ones.

And those photos are the most "informal" section of my site.

Big C
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Personally, I think the site needs ALOT of work, and hire someone to do your writing.

One of the few sites I have seen using a strict DTD .... downside, not even close to valid code. Don't use a strict DTD unless you are going to take the time to validate the code.

So you get my cut and paste response.

1) Code is not valid. Please validate!!

HTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

2) Mixture of hardcoded style, inline style, linked style is a NIGHTMARE.
Separation of style and content is the recommended way to maintain your code.

3) Limited or no document structure/outline

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html

4) Limited or no accessibility compliance

WCAG/Sec508: http://www.cynthiasays.com/fulloptions.asp

In short, yahoo's site builder is falling WAY short.

Mr web guru/english major everytime you post it is negative....why nothing positive?????....

robertsturf
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Ok I'm not sticking up for this guy but I have noticed the very negative tone this thread has taken from the EXPERTS! If I was going to start a web-site (which we are) I would hope that the EXPERTS would be more constructive with their criticism!! I am in the business of landcape maintenance and not web-site design and would hope that those that are more versed in that industry would be more help-ful!!

Kiril
01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr web guru/english major everytime you post it is negative....why nothing positive?????....

What is to be gained by ego stroking? Point out what is wrong so it can be fixed.

Big C
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Ok I'm not sticking up for this guy but I have noticed the very negative tone this thread has taken from the EXPERTS! If I was going to start a web-site (which we are) I would hope that the EXPERTS would be more constructive with their criticism!! I am in the business of landcape maintenance and not web-site design and would hope that those that are more versed in that industry would be more help-ful!!

that's all i'm saying......check all of his comments.......he rips everyone....never anything good to say.

Big C
01-08-2009, 12:52 AM
What is to be gained by ego stroking? Point out what is wrong so it can be fixed.

You call it "ego stroking"....;):confused:....I call it giving someone credit for doing something right......you should give both positive and negetive feedback.

Kiril
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
You call it "ego stroking"....;):confused:....I call it giving someone credit for doing something right......you should give both positive and negetive feedback.

I did give positive feedback. I noted he was using a strict DTD. I also provided resources for him to learn from. What more can I do. Should I design his site for him for free? In fact, I thought I was going easy on him.

Beyond that, there was nothing I really found commendable about the site. Sorry if that disturbs you, but if people want someone to tell them their site is glorious regardless, then send links to their family and friends. If you want a hard critique of your site that will help you fix problems and create a better, more usable site, then post it here. If you think I'm being hard, see what would happen if he posted that site for comments on a real web development site.

Like I said before, when someone posts a site here for feedback, I'm not looking for positive aspects, I'm looking for what is wrong with it. THIS is what helps people create better web sites. The fact that I don't comment on other parts of the site/design could be looked at as approval or not, you decide.

What do you care anyhow, its not your site.

LawnTamer
01-08-2009, 01:24 AM
You may want to find a way to include names of the cities you service, so if someone types in their city, and lawn care, you will come up. Some lawnboys think they are Bill Gates, but realistically, you run a simple solo business, people will not be disappointed if you have a simple, easy to navigate site. Very few will be worried about what code/program you used to create it.

wright5223
01-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I agree with you, If I was so good at doing web-sites I would be doing that instead of mowing lawns!

Team-Green L&L
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Let me know what you guys think, I know it's plan but that's how I want it brief and to the point Thanks!
www.jmyerslawns.com

I'm not gonna hold you to the standards that I preach because you don't need to spend any money right now. It looks good for what you are doing and it'll grow and get better with time, patience, and $.

I would definitely look at changing this wording though:

(For accurate pricing, please call for a quote)

"I thought $120 for -6000ft2 was accurate. I think you are referring to larger lots and the context doesn't quite say that.