PDA

View Full Version : winter builds?

Mowingandmore
12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
I usually stick to snow removal in the winter but a customer had a old wall fall and wants it replaced with versa-lok its is about 30ft long and runs from 5ft to nothing, along a driveway. the last few days have been around 10 outside but its going up to the 40s here next week. Just wondering of there is any thing that need to be done differently in the winter months to make sure the wall has its same strength.

mrusk
12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Just don't install base on frozen ground. You might have to excavate alittle more to get to unfrozen ground.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-23-2008, 01:26 PM
What Rusk said. If you install on frozen ground when it thaws the wall can settle and than you will be rebuilding it.

mrusk
12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Yea only excavate and install base on what you can lay the first course down in a day.

Hard at Werk
12-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I think by now frost is down about a foot or so and unless you have a piece of equipment that can chew on that don't bother. Which in my opinion a full size backhoe or a huge mini x

soopa
12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I think by now frost is down about a foot or so and unless you have a piece of equipment that can chew on that don't bother. Which in my opinion a full size backhoe or a huge mini x
9000 lb+ excavator w/ rock bucket for ground frozen that deep, IMO. And prepare for over excavation.

As long as you and your guys can stay motivated enough to fight the weather, it can be done.

Hard at Werk
12-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I have an 11,600 lb machine and Last time I tried doing something like that I sprang a leak. ( one of the hoses inside blew ) Took the better part of the day to repair. So only if you are that desperate.

btammo
12-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I would be surprised if the frost was that far down this early in the season in Pittsburgh. Its not that far down here.

PlatinumLandCon
12-25-2008, 03:50 PM
rusk and STL know what they're talking about. Personally, I'd clean up the mess to get the area ready for spring. Don't take too much away because you don't want crazy erosion from spring run off. It needs to be done soon if its going to get done.

Paradise Landscapes
12-25-2008, 08:28 PM
What Rusk said. If you install on frozen ground when it thaws the wall can settle and than you will be rebuilding it.

1) That's the reason why I don't do winter installs, walls, walkways or patios.
2) I don't like to freeze while doing installs.

BOEpavers
01-03-2009, 01:32 AM
We're in south central PA and we never install over the winter. We usually stop right before Thanksgiving. Depending on the year we've had severe freezes then, and then others, like this year, no freeze to speak of yet but with all the rain the ground is super saturated and unsuitable to build on (without a lot of extra labor/material for overdig, etc.). As stated by others, I'd clean the area up as best you could to be prepared to start as early in the spring as weather permits.