PDA

View Full Version : Truck Problems...

DSLND
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
So I have owned my truck for almost a year now, and I will say, I love it, but it keeps having problems.

1/1/08-Battery (No big deal at all, but you need to know that later in the thread)

6/22/08- Power Steering Pump-went out at 110k miles if I remember right

9/10/08-Radiator Hose Connector. It was a really dumb break, I could have fixed it myself had it not beed as complicated as it was. I can get pictures of the part if you would like.

12/6/08-Battery was shot, got a new one under warranty

12/20/08-Power Steering Pump again. Mechanic said he found metal shavings in the pump, says power steering booster may need replacing soon. He said to wait and see how the new pump does.

12/20/08-Tried to take the truck home from the shop, dead. Battery is shot again. It has a Titanium battery in it, which people say to be junk, but I really haven't had much experience with them. We did check the battery, and it is only holding a charge for a matter of hours.

Please Note: We did check the alternator, it is fine.

And that is where we are at now. I have a truck that went through two power steering pumps and two batteries in less than a year.

Is this normal? Or do I just have an unreliable truck?

I really can't rely on a truck that is breaking on me on a weekly basis to run a business with. Not to mention next year I am going to start plowing snow.

Here's the specs. on the truck:

'99 Chevy 2500
364; 6.0L V8
115k Miles

Thanks

-Mitch-

Valk
12-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Any belt issues? Could another belt driven accessory be acting up? Stationary or adjusting pulley bearing issues?

DSLND
12-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Any belt issues? Could another belt driven accessory be acting up? Stationary or adjusting pulley bearing issues?

I don't believe so, but I will run the idea by my mechanic. I think he checked everything out, but I will double check.

Thanks for your help!

-Mitch-

seabee1
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
i don't think the truck is the problem ,normally any thing made by man can break at the most inconvenient time's . but the part's quality of what we have available nowadays is sh!@**t every thing is produced by the lowest bidder and quality is out the window . try to stay with name brand's that have a warranty . any more it's a roll of the dice .good luck ! *trucewhiteflag*

TXNSLighting
12-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Get a Diesel!!!! :clapping:

Bigred350
12-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Dont buy those auto zone parts they are shitty as hell. go to your dealer and get a new pump. yes it cost more but just think your old one lasted 115000 miles!!!!

Im not sure about the battery. Do you have any electronics hooked up....GPS, cell phone.... Something may be pulling a few amps and slowly killing it. Of you just keep buying junk batteries

topsites
12-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I need to know more about this than "a truck with a dead battery" although the
lack of information could be a clue here...

Because if you just went to the store and bought the next best thing that the salesperson looked up for you,
that could be, for a truck towing a trailer, one good possible reason why.

For the most part they ALL will sell you a 'standard' (read: meets MINIMUM requirements) battery.
So I'd like to know the make and model of the truck, and the cca rating of the battery for starters.

And you might need the heavy-duty output alternator as well, it's just if you power them trailer lights,
a lot of short trips, it's not the best thing for batteries.

If you can, they sell an inexpensive "alternator charge tester" some places, just 3-4 LED lights you can use that for testing,
some auto parts stores can do it for you with the vehicle in the parking lot also.

Then you'll want to visually inspect the belt for glazing, cracking, peeling and softening, proper tensioning, and
alignment of drive pulleys.