PDA

View Full Version : Retread tires, anybody use them? Where do you find them?

Pilgrims' Pride
12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Title says it all folks.
I'm looking for new rubber for my truck. (99 F-350 SD)
I use it for plowing too. Call me cheap but the thought of spending big bucks on tires just doesnt sit well with me.
Especially at this time of year!

Paradise Landscapes
12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I personally think it's cheaper insurance on your part to just buy new tires. I wouldn't trust them. You took my .02

LawnTamer
12-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I think retreads should be banned. Seriously. How many of the treads do you see on the side of the highway? I have been driving next to or behind a big tractor trailer twice when one has come apart and sent pieces flying with enough force to break windows.

Did anyone see the Mythbusters, where the retread decapitated their test dummy? Scary stuff.

CrystalCreek
12-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I think retreads should be banned. Seriously. How many of the treads do you see on the side of the highway? I have been driving next to or behind a big tractor trailer twice when one has come apart and sent pieces flying with enough force to break windows.

Did anyone see the Mythbusters, where the retread decapitated their test dummy? Scary stuff.

I totally agree with you. BAN THESE PIECES OF SH&T!!!! I did see the myhtbuster thing. Very scary. To the original poster, just think what will happen if one fails on the highway. You only have four tires. Big rigs have two on each corner of the axle. There is redundency. They also NEVER retread front tires. To much stress on them with turning and breaking forces.

Gravel Rat
12-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Oh looky here more lawn mower guys saying retreads are bad :laugh:

Lets see do you guys drive commercial trucks ?

Do you know that 90% of the road alligators are NEW tires that haven't been maintained.

The biggest problem is lazy slack azz useless fat slob drivers that are too fat and lazy to check the air pressure in their tires. The tires are run soft they overheat the tire comes apart.

You run Bandag,Oliver,Michelin or Goodyear retreads you NEVER have problems with them. You keep the air pressure up and maintain the tires like a NEW tire you never have problems.

We have been running retreads on gravel trucks for decades never had one come apart. The lowbedders that gross 140,000lbs and have 550-600hp Cat power run retreaded drive tires never have any problems. You know what kind of rim pull that puts on a tire when your trying to get a 140,000lb truck rolling.

People that say ban retreads are the people that can't properly maintain a truck. They blame retreads for their pure lazyness.

Better get more info on retreads before you start spouting your mouth off saying they are bad. Just shows that non of you guys have had any experience with retreaded tires. If you think they are bad why are school bus fleets using them for drive tires on busses. Coachlines use them on the big tour busses for drive tires.

As for the original posters question you can buy retreads but your really not saving much money because you can get cheap no name tires cheaper than retreads. You run Bandag retreads the tires will last you 2-3 years because the tread cap is the same tread cap used on commercial transport trucks. The rubber compound is hard so it wears like iron. I have had 16 inch retreads last longer than the sidewalls of the tire. All my trucks have had retreads never had one blow apart.

ryry278
12-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I am not an expert but i would agree with Gravel, even though he puts it in such a harsh way. Retreads do not seem to be the problem its more to do with the car of the tire and mythbusters did not test retread i believe they were testing blowouts. But anyways i always wondered were to buy them myself if they were cheaper

Gravel Rat
12-25-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't like seeing people say retreads are bad when its truck drivers that don't do proper maintenance. It gives truck drivers that do proper maintenance a bad name. People are already scared of big trucks like tractor and trailers.

Low air pressure in a tire builds heat and heat kills tires. Down in the southern states you notice semis run a highway tread (rib) it runs cooler it doesn't have any lugs. Lugs create rolling resistance which creates heat. When your running on roads that are already hot from the sun. Running on hot pavement already creates alot of heat in the tire couple with that running a already hot running tire you go boom.

I have no experience with asphalt hot enough you could cook a egg on it never gets that hot here.

Older retreads that are still in use really can't handle the heat because the vulcanizing process used back in the early 90s wasn't as good as today.

When Bandag recaps a tire it is X-ray'ed for defects any defects are fixed if it doesn't pass inspection the tire isn't recapped.

The reason why recaps are not used for steering axle use is recaps don't run completely true. They balance up well but you will get a slight wobble in the tire.

For steering tires you don't even use the cheapest new tire. The steering tires on a truck like a medium duty even a 1 ton dually makes or breaks the way the truck handles. You get a dually P/U truck and the owner puts a set of cheap tires on the front the truck will always handle like crap.

You go around a corner and it feels like your riding on mush. A dually diesel eats tires on the front axle. You have 4 tires with lots of power pushing on two tires struggling under the already heavy front end. Doesn't matter if its a Dodge,Ford or Chev dually the diesels are all 900lbs or more.

If your running a truck exclusivily offroad use Bandag recaps. The tread cap makes the tire tough to tread punctures and also survives better to spinning them on a sharp rock.

CrystalCreek
12-25-2008, 12:26 AM

Do you know that 90% of the road alligators are NEW tires that haven't been maintained.

The biggest problem is lazy slack azz useless fat slob drivers that are too fat and lazy to check the air pressure in their tires. The tires are run soft they overheat the tire comes apart.

You run Bandag,Oliver,Michelin or Goodyear retreads you NEVER have problems with them. You keep the air pressure up and maintain the tires like a NEW tire you never have problems.

We have been running retreads on gravel trucks for decades never had one come apart. The lowbedders that gross 140,000lbs and have 550-600hp Cat power run retreaded drive tires never have any problems. You know what kind of rim pull that puts on a tire when your trying to get a 140,000lb truck rolling.

People that say ban retreads are the people that can't properly maintain a truck. They blame retreads for their pure lazyness.

Better get more info on retreads before you start spouting your mouth off saying they are bad. Just shows that non of you guys have had any experience with retreaded tires. If you think they are bad why are school bus fleets using them for drive tires on busses. Coachlines use them on the big tour busses for drive tires.

As for the original posters question you can buy retreads but your really not saving much money because you can get cheap no name tires cheaper than retreads. You run Bandag retreads the tires will last you 2-3 years because the tread cap is the same tread cap used on commercial transport trucks. The rubber compound is hard so it wears like iron. I have had 16 inch retreads last longer than the sidewalls of the tire. All my trucks have had retreads never had one blow apart.

I am getting sick and tired of this POS A$$HOLE acting like he knows everything. For your FU%&ING information, I do have a CDL with airbrakes and hazmat and double trailers and also tanker endorsement. I checked my trucks every single day INCLUDING AIR PRESSURES!!!! I have personal had those POS retreads come apart. So stick that up you A$$, and get the FU%K off lawnsite. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME NOR ARE YOUR IDEAS VALUED!!!!

Gravel Rat
12-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey if you want to say something stupid like Retreads are junk your going to get called on it simple as that.

Hey I have been a member of lawnsite longer than you and have been around heavy equipment longer than you. Do you work with lowbedder and trucks grossing 140,000lbs.

Nothing wrong with retreads its the owner of the trucks. If you took care of your tires you wouldn't have problems with them.

You can spend big money on new tires for your trucks I'am going to run retreads they last just as long. Lets see a brandnew deep lug 11R-24.5 drive tire is over 500 dollars a retread with the same deep lug tread pattern is 350 dollars. So who is the stupid one to spend 500 dollars on a new tire when you can get the same service life out of a retread.

On a gravel truck we only get 8 months out of a set of drive tires doesn't matter if they are virgins or retreads.

Crystal Creek better go take your meds before you have a heart attack :laugh:

Oh ya Crystal Creek have you ever changed tires have you ever worked around a tire shop.

CrystalCreek
12-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey if you want to say something stupid like Retreads are junk your going to get called on it simple as that.

Hey I have been a member of lawnsite longer than you and have been around heavy equipment longer than you. Do you work with lowbedder and trucks grossing 140,000lbs.

Nothing wrong with retreads its the owner of the trucks. If you took care of your tires you wouldn't have problems with them.

You can spend big money on new tires for your trucks I'am going to run retreads they last just as long. Lets see a brandnew deep lug 11R-24.5 drive tire is over 500 dollars a retread with the same deep lug tread pattern is 350 dollars. So who is the stupid one to spend 500 dollars on a new tire when you can get the same service life out of a retread.

On a gravel truck we only get 8 months out of a set of drive tires doesn't matter if they are virgins or retreads.

Crystal Creek better go take your meds before you have a heart attack :laugh:

Oh ya Crystal Creek have you ever changed tires have you ever worked around a tire shop.

So if your so great, than why are you spending your time at a site for us low life lawn boys. Get a life and stop starting fights. Maybe you should try positive help. Or get lost. Is everyone in B.C. an a$$hole or just you. And yes, I have changed many tires. But I will bow down because you are God. Happy birthday I guess.

Gravel Rat
12-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Just curious how old are you Crystal Creek ?

Oh by the way I don't have a beef against anybody on this site :canadaflag:

Paradise Landscapes
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm not Saying that they are bad. I just never had the chance to try them. I eventually will when it comes to needing tires. I just have to try them when I have a new tire non-retreaded as a spare just in case she blows!

AintNoFun
12-25-2008, 07:42 PM
you work in an office dont you?

Gravel Rat
12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I do now but I spend 14 years in the landscaping business mostly brush clearing and tree removal etc.

Retreads are good if you own a dually and you use them for drive tires because they save you atleast 300 dollars. You can get retreaded Michelins for 100 dollars cheaper than a brandnew Michelin especially in the 225/70R19.5 tires. In the 16 inch rubber you can specifiy you want retreads on XPS Michelin Casings which is a all steel casing.

If you want cheap 16 inch tires then look at Westlake brand they are not that great but they are round and black.

For a 235/85R16 tire I'am used to paying 230-240 dollars a tire the 225/70R19.5 are around 340-350 each. Next time I'am going with OHTSU for drive tires I know a few guys with them and they are having decent sucess with them. I want a more aggressive lug tread that won't howl. The Bandag gripper tread howls like super swampers and the gripper is a mild treaded tire.

Hawkinsons Tread does make a retread that has the same tread pattern as the M-55 Toyos. Anybody that knows light truck tires will look at the tread and look at the name on the sidewall and say what the h*ll a Toyo tread and Michelin tire.

If I had trucks with 16 inch tires I would go with the Toyo M-55 I had them on one truck worked good and you can get them in the odd ball 17 inch sizes.

CrystalCreek
12-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Im not trying to start a figh. I just dont trust retreads. I have seen to many of them come apart. I lost a friend in a terrible truck accident a few years ago and the NTSB said the cause was failed retread. So, again sorry for the strong feeling towards this subject. Yes they are cheaper and maybe up there in the north the glue that holds them together last longer because of the cooler weather. I dont know, but I know they killed my friend. I will never trust them again. Sorry fellas.

Gravel Rat
12-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Why didn't you say that a friend got killed earlier I can see why you don't trust retreads :(

Any tire is dangerous, a friend of mine who is a mechanic lost a freind from a split rim snap ring blew off and took the guys head with it :dizzy:

CLARK LAWN
12-26-2008, 12:54 AM
i have to agree with gravel rat. you are much more likely to have a tire zipper than to have a cap come off. i checked into recaps for the drives on my 1 ton dump and the cost savings wasnt there it was only going to be like 10 bucks cheaper per tire. i found a nice load "E" tire 235/85R16 that im getting for 74.95 i get 2 years out of them on the drives on the dump and 4 years out of them on the 4x4 trucks

CrystalCreek
12-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Why didn't you say that a friend got killed earlier I can see why you don't trust retreads :(

Any tire is dangerous, a friend of mine who is a mechanic lost a freind from a split rim snap ring blew off and took the guys head with it :dizzy:

I guess we both were a little wrong. When I responded to the original post I didnt want to get depressing. I just wanted to tell my views. I over reacted to your comments and for that I am sorry. The rest of the story of my friend goes like this. His tractor, Kenworth W900, went in for new retreads on the rears. All eight were done. It was march of 2007. Three days later, about 1300 miles, three of the retreads on the right side disintegrated. The weight was to much for the one tire left. That tire blew. The truck went into a concrete wall at 70mph. The trailer, which wasnt his, broke the king pin. The trailer went thru the cab killing him instantly. The report said the retreads were the cause of the accident. The king pin failure was never explained, but probably never would have happened if not for the tires. The retread company is now out of business, but no money will bring him back. I will make this comment. I've said it many times before on LS. Tell your loved one that you love them. You never know when they will be gone. I overreacted to your comments gravel rat, for that I am sorry. But to everyone, lets stop this BS auguring. LS is here for helping, not hurting. Again, I am sorry.

punt66
12-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree, i also dont trust retreads. Gravel rat is correct about the air pressures. However i would rather have a new tire with neglected air pressure then a retread with neglected air pressure. When i ran my tria axles and single axle dumps i always put new tires on them. The savings for retreds were not enough to warrant the purchase. I have seen many retreads come apart and i have seen new tires come apart. I do know when i bought my ford tri axke it had retreads and they came apart on me. I put new tires on it and they held up well.

Gravel Rat
12-26-2008, 07:08 PM
New tires here for a 11R-22.5 or 11R-24.5 tire is still 450 dollars a tire you can buy the chinese tires or Ohtsu the worst is Double Coins.

As for 16 inch rubber the cheapest E rated rubber is 140 dollars a tire.

Where I live we don't have problems with the tire shops we get retreads from. I never had a problem with Bandag caps the ones I got for my F-450 the tire shop specified A grade casings.

nosparkplugs
12-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I am getting sick and tired of this POS A$$HOLE acting like he knows everything. For your FU%&ING information, I do have a CDL with airbrakes and hazmat and double trailers and also tanker endorsement. I checked my trucks every single day INCLUDING AIR PRESSURES!!!! I have personal had those POS retreads come apart. So stick that up you A$$, and get the FU%K off lawnsite. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME NOR ARE YOUR IDEAS VALUED!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::cry::laugh::laugh::laugh::cry: I am going to wet myself.

Gravel Rat may be harsh on us "weed pullers":hammerhead:, but that was one of his most unbiased posts I have read in while:clapping: no names were called out, it read great too. Nice review on retreads GR.

GR did you get off the "SAUCE"

2109 Stang
12-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I have to agree with Gravel Rat this time ,23 years driving more than 100k miles per years and I usually get more miles out of retreats then new tires ,unless you run the real expensive ones (Michelin's ,BF Goodridge) and others ,I have had blow outs but always alot more on the cheap ones than any retreats I usually get over 100k miles from recaps ,if I'm the one driving that truck steady ,I'm always on my drivers a$$ about checking tire pressure because that's the main tire failure, new or retreats . GRAVEL RAT you owe me one