PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck trailer plans

Mini man
12-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I need to find plans to build a gooseneck trailer suitable to haul a 11000 lb skidsteer behind my 1 ton chev.
I have all the equip and welding qualifications to do so....just need plans.

kps2389
12-24-2008, 05:16 PM
check out northern tool

Jerry Lee
12-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I need to find plans to build a gooseneck trailer suitable to haul a 11000 lb skidsteer behind my 1 ton chev.
I have all the equip and welding qualifications to do so....just need plans.

20' deck, with a dove tail. tandem 7000lb axles. a front storage box for all your chains and strapdowns. a spare tire. thats all i got.

P.Services
12-24-2008, 10:57 PM
just keep your eye open for a lighly used one. you are going to spend more money in the end. trust me been there done that.

Junior M
12-24-2008, 10:59 PM
just keep your eye open for a lighly used one. you are going to spend more money in the end. trust me been there done that.
Exactly what I was goin to say, and you beat me to it Picasso...

Mini man, arent you buying a new CAT ctl? So whats another 5k for a trailer if your already dropping atleast 60k...

P.Services
12-24-2008, 11:03 PM

with so many people dumping equipment right now the deals are just sick!! i bet you can find a awsome trailer for 3k that sold new for 8 or 9. i paid 2k for mine that sold new for 7 and had been used twice!!

Junior M
12-24-2008, 11:10 PM
with so many people dumping equipment right now the deals are just sick!! i bet you can find a awsome trailer for 3k that sold new for 8 or 9. i paid 2k for mine that sold new for 7 and had been used twice!!
there's a guy on here selling a PJ 24ft deckover tag trailer with 7k axles just like ours for 4k, and he only hauled a Toro Dingo on..

Gravel Rat
12-24-2008, 11:12 PM
You will never beable to build one cheaper than buy one. The labour involved will take you a long time. These trailer builders have jigs set up and have a production like so its bing bang boom they have a trailer built.

I also weld been doing so since I started in the familly welding shop at 15. I have a idea on what it takes to build a trailer. Now that the price of new steel has dropped its not so bad but by the time you buy the axles and springs then wire the trailer etc. Also new steel should be sandblasted to get the paint to stick. Most trailer places have proper paint booth so they can get a good paint job.

The last problem is getting a certification for the trailer because its a U bilt then it has to be certified. A mechanic can certify the mechanical parts then somebody has to inspect the structural parts.

Mini man
12-24-2008, 11:37 PM

Mini man, arent you buying a new CAT ctl? So whats another 5k for a trailer if your already dropping atleast 60k...

LOL! I will be in the poor house after the purchase!
I thought maybe I could build it cheaper? maybe not?
Should I be looking for a tandem tandem or a tri axle?

Mini man
12-24-2008, 11:40 PM
So where is the best place to source a trailer in Ontario?

Junior M
12-24-2008, 11:42 PM
LOL! I will be in the poor house after the purchase!
I thought maybe I could build it cheaper? maybe not?
Should I be looking for a tandem tandem or a tri axle?
If you have the money to drop on a new CAT, I really dont see what another 5k will be, especially if you have the work for it.. For an 11,000 pound skid, I would say 10 ton tandem axle gooseneck, 20ft at the least. You might get by with a tandem axle 14k trailer, but I think that would be pushing it..

I have no clue, I dont live there! :usflag: :laugh: