PDA

View Full Version : Quick bite couplers, anyone ever use one?

CrystalCreek
12-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I have seen several advertisements for Quickbite couplers. They seem like a great invention. Being a solo operator, I think it would save me a lot of time when it comes to hooking up. I checked out their website and the testimonials are impressive, but I figured that I would talk to the people who do the same work as I. Please let me know what you think.

Here is a link, hope it works.

http://www.quickbitecouplers.com/

Thanks for your input,
Jared

Paradise Landscapes
12-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks almost like the bull-dog coupler, Which I'd stick with.

Gravel Rat
12-25-2008, 09:16 PM
No bad comments from me but a few observations

1) You live in a rust belt what is going to happen to that hitch when things start rusting and getting sticky

2) What is the cost of that hitch are you really going to benefit from it ?

3) Those jaws look like they are made out of aluminum it is hard to tell but it looks like aluminum. Aluminum will wear quickly especially if you get some grit on your ball or if the ball isn't well lubricated. Aluminum can get sticky when the lubrication dries up. They say they have a stainless steel version.

4) The Hitch looks like it limits movement.

Stick with what is proven I would rather have a bulldog hitch atleast they are proven.

Looked up the price on a Quick Bite holy crap they are not cheap :dizzy:

CrystalCreek
12-25-2008, 11:09 PM
No bad comments from me but a few observations

1) You live in a rust belt what is going to happen to that hitch when things start rusting and getting sticky

2) What is the cost of that hitch are you really going to benefit from it ?

3) Those jaws look like they are made out of aluminum it is hard to tell but it looks like aluminum. Aluminum will wear quickly especially if you get some grit on your ball or if the ball isn't well lubricated. Aluminum can get sticky when the lubrication dries up. They say they have a stainless steel version.

4) The Hitch looks like it limits movement.

Stick with what is proven I would rather have a bulldog hitch atleast they are proven.

Looked up the price on a Quick Bite holy crap they are not cheap :dizzy:

I never thought of the rust thing, but I guess I could make a monthly spraying of fluid flim. I also dont use my trailers in the winter, so salt wont be too much of a problem.

The cost is high, but being solo, I think it would save time and aggervation with hook ups. You know how it is, a little too left, a little to far back, Sometimes I wish I had a helper.

The jaws are stainless steel on the inside. I grease my trailer balls everyday after cleaning them. I am very faithful with that. I think stainless steel would hold up a lot better that aluminum.

I am unsure what you mean by limiting movement. Could you clarify? I do only on road driving so not a lot of "twisting" movement needed.

I will have to look up "Bulldog" hitches. I have never seen them around my area.

Jason Rose
12-26-2008, 12:12 AM
How often do you unhook from the trailer and have a load on the truck, then dump the load and re-hook up to the trailer? If you do this your truck ball would be at a different height and you wouldn't ba able to hook up to the trailer unless you knew exactly how high it had to be set to line up with the ball. And if you pull one trailer with several different trucks, they aren't all going to have the exact same ball height. I think they are ignoring the obvoius factor that reguardless of their hitch or not, you still have to crank the jack to adjust the height, and you still have to back up straight and hit the ball dead on to make it work. You can buy, or make sticks that hook to the tounge and your bumper that line up and touch when the hitch is aligned...

Frankly I think the hitch is a bit of a gimmic. Wonder how well it would hold up if you backed up and hit one of the ears right on the end with the ball... Would it be tough enough to take the impact or would it tweak the whole thing and trash it? I'll stick to my bulldog hithes as well, and learned trailer hitching skills.

Gravel Rat
12-26-2008, 12:31 AM
If you look at a regular trailer hitch the hitch allows some room for movement.

Take a example your turning up a side street the truck is on a angle climbing the up hill and the trailer is still on the flat part of the street. Now you have a binding action. It looks like the quick grab hitch doesn't allow much room.

It is hard to explain and its hard to tell with the pictures. I never seen a hitch like that.

I don't know it just seems a little gimmicky. Lots of moving parts and pivots and parts.

Bulldog hitches been around for decades.

nosparkplugs
12-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I have seen several advertisements for Quickbite couplers. They seem like a great invention. Being a solo operator, I think it would save me a lot of time when it comes to hooking up. I checked out their website and the testimonials are impressive, but I figured that I would talk to the people who do the same work as I. Please let me know what you think.

Here is a link, hope it works.

http://www.quickbitecouplers.com/

Thanks for your input,
Jared

Looks well made & soild like the HD models the first couple look like boat trailer couplers was nervous at first reading:laugh:
It's all Stainless Steel construction no rust or fluid film needed:laugh: looks like a winner to me if your willing to pay the cheese, and have the old couple cut off your trailer, and this one welded back on:dizzy:. I could think of better ways to invest my money & time. I would consider this hitch couple for my next bumper pull trailer build though! thanks for the link will bookmark it

TXNSLighting
12-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I think thats a great idea. I think ill order one and try it on a trailer i dont use that often. If it works well, then ill replace all mine.

CrystalCreek
12-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the help and ideas. I have three trailers that are used almost weekly. All three have the channel type with bolts so changing the hitches out is really easy. Hardest part is cutting the tack welds on the current bolts. I still have some thinking to do. I do understand what you are saying Gravelrat, in reguards to the binding thing. I have sent the company an Email. I will see what they say and repost it here. Thanks again everyone.

Az Gardener
12-26-2008, 10:25 AM
For 100 bucks you can get a back up camera at Sam's club. 9" color screen and the screen is wireless. I think that would be a better investment as it has use even when you are not pulling a trailer.

mason dude
12-26-2008, 07:30 PM
I bought one through jc whitney and I like it, I got the a frame stainless one and put it on my wells cargo enclosed , as far as moving parts it has about the same as a bulldog, and it doesn't bind at all through twist and dips etc.. hook up is a snap because you can be off a bit and it is kinda forgiving and sorta grabs the ball for ya, I have bumped it too far off and it did not damage it, it is also nice because it doesnt hang on the ball when you have backed up a hill like some couplers, you know how when you feel like you are picking up the back of your truck with the trailer , yea thats gone, The best thing is you dont have to crank the trailer jack near as high,just enough to take the weight off, only about an inch or 3 instead of 7 or 8 which is nice at the end of a long trimming day, then when you reconnect you only have to lower the trailer a few inches, so a LOT less cranking,basically you dont have to go "over" the ball when hitching, you can go around it,, if you do hook up to different vehicles and need the height different from the truck you unhooked from then just adjust the height with the jack the same as you would have to with a bulldog. since I got mine I have noticed them on other trailers, mostly high-end race car trailers etc..

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 12:42 AM
I bought one through jc whitney and I like it, I got the a frame stainless one and put it on my wells cargo enclosed , as far as moving parts it has about the same as a bulldog, and it doesn't bind at all through twist and dips etc.. hook up is a snap because you can be off a bit and it is kinda forgiving and sorta grabs the ball for ya, I have bumped it too far off and it did not damage it, it is also nice because it doesnt hang on the ball when you have backed up a hill like some couplers, you know how when you feel like you are picking up the back of your truck with the trailer , yea thats gone, The best thing is you dont have to crank the trailer jack near as high,just enough to take the weight off, only about an inch or 3 instead of 7 or 8 which is nice at the end of a long trimming day, then when you reconnect you only have to lower the trailer a few inches, so a LOT less cranking,basically you dont have to go "over" the ball when hitching, you can go around it,, if you do hook up to different vehicles and need the height different from the truck you unhooked from then just adjust the height with the jack the same as you would have to with a bulldog. since I got mine I have noticed them on other trailers, mostly high-end race car trailers etc..

Thank you for your input. I was really hoping that somewhere out there had first hand use experience. I thank you again. You answered all my questions and doubts. I think I will be racking up the credit card on monday. I really seemed like a great product. Thanks again, Jared