PDA

View Full Version : how about LANDSCAPEROO

STRINGALATION
12-26-2008, 12:14 AM
i noticed these guys have advertising here does anybody use them i have been there and i like the way it is set up. any body got the low down.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Team-Green L&L
12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
i noticed these guys have advertising here does anybody use them i have been there and i like the way it is set up. any body got the low down.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It personally appears to be a bunch of CSS Style sheets or a MySQL/PHP database. From my experiences, not with them however, these systems are very limited in what you can do in the graphics design dept. If you want a quick site builder I would look into something like GoDaddy's Website Tonight. They too are limited to a certain level, but you'll find better support from GoDaddy IMO.

Good Luck!

Kiril
12-30-2008, 11:40 PM
It personally appears to be a bunch of CSS Style sheets or a MySQL/PHP database.

How did you determine that? Based on the sample sites, I would say it looks striking similar to the templates you offer.

From my experiences, not with them however, these systems are very limited in what you can do in the graphics design dept.

Certainly you jest! PHP with a DB backend are worlds more flexible than any static HTML or flash site could ever be. With respect to CSS, it is the most flexible and scalable way to style your site.

Perhaps you were talking about the site builder?

Team-Green L&L
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Perhaps you were talking about the site builder?

I was certainly talking about the site builder. I do not disagree that CSS Styles are the best and most organized way to build the layout of a site. I do not like the CMS databases that use modules and widgets to build a site in minutes. Maybe I'm just speaking personally, but I have never been able to produce the results from them that I could in custom coding. Many times you will have to change the stylesheets to fit images/logos and other graphics. That can be time consuming unless you understand CSS.

BTW, let's keep quiet about templates for a little while, but I disagree with any similarities in quality. I crossed the line a tad in soliciting and am looking for a sponsorship. Don't need to make the Mods mad now.

Kiril
01-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I do not like the CMS databases that use modules and widgets to build a site in minutes.

You might want to look closer at what a CMS is and does, because what you described above is not entirely accurate. Yes, there are modules/widgets/plugins/ etc.... you can use that make site building a whole lot easier, but these for the most part have nothing to do with presentation (theme/template) side.

A properly designed CMS will have a clear distinction between presentation and logic, and some will allow for easy manipulation of templates and/or CSS through the CP without any real knowledge required.

Now if you want to modify the template or core logic, then you start getting into more difficult territory.
Long story short CMS does NOT equal inflexibility, not even close.

Team-Green L&L
01-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Can't call myself an expert on CMS, but I have built 3 Joomla-based sites, 2 PhPMotion sites, 2 Open-Realty sites, 4 PostNuke sites, and 3 vBulletin Forums. I hope that makes me, at least, knowledgeable in the matter. I hate to speak ignorantly, but I have before and sure I will again.

I am certainly not opposed to a Joomla-based website and will actually encourage someone to look into that direction. I am, however, disappointed in many of the open-source CMS platform available. I'm sure you feel the same?

Any way you look at it, a CMS will limit your design capabilities in some fashion. I would prefer a custom .ASP site with a custom MySQL/PhP database and a custom Admin area. Well worth the money in the long term.

STRINGALATION
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
ugh no offense but to me that was a lot of MUMBO JUMBO. I meant are they legit do the email accounts work ugh will the site be as i name it . do you feel it looks super cheesy that sort of thing. you guys sound like i want to modify the sote to rain grass and have music lololololo although if you are soliciting that is a conflict of interest so shame on you atleast tell me you are who you are refering to and them link me so i can see why yours is better but thanks any ways i will look at it and see

Kiril
01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I am certainly not opposed to a Joomla-based website and will actually encourage someone to look into that direction. I am, however, disappointed in many of the open-source CMS platform available. I'm sure you feel the same?

Yes, some are disappointing, but certainly not all.

Any way you look at it, a CMS will limit your design capabilities in some fashion.

I disagree, and having built a CMS from the ground up I can state that with a fair amount of certainty. Now if you can't build a template/theme from scratch for any one of these, then you are limited to what is available. The mere fact that you can't create your own template/theme for one of these packages does not mean they have limited design potential.

I would prefer a custom .ASP site with a custom MySQL/PhP database and a custom Admin area. Well worth the money in the long term.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Kiril
01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
ugh no offense but to me that was a lot of MUMBO JUMBO. I meant are they legit do the email accounts work ugh will the site be as i name it . do you feel it looks super cheesy that sort of thing. you guys sound like i want to modify the sote to rain grass and have music lololololo although if you are soliciting that is a conflict of interest so shame on you atleast tell me you are who you are refering to and them link me so i can see why yours is better but thanks any ways i will look at it and see

No one is soliciting anything in this particular thread.

Check out the options for yourself.

Websites In A Box:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.p...388&Itemid=143

Free HTML Templates:

http://www.oswd.org/

Team-Green L&L
01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

You're right about me not knowing hoe to create my own template in most of the CMS out there. I simply don't have time to learn each one. I guess that's why I like just coding it. If I don't know how to do it I don't do it.

As far as the comment above. That was misquoted. I meant Php frontend and MySql database with a php driven Admin console. A lot like you get with CMS. Just a tired typo.