PDA

View Full Version : Hadco Pierce Points

Mike M
12-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Okay, here's mastic, available in a tape form, used for covering coax splices.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=61312&eventPage=2

Just wrap it quickly around a Hadco pierce point (UL) and you have a nice splice for add-ons to #12 cable, without cutting the copper, and using just one connection, instead of two or three per fixture.

I'll try it in my yard. I'll post back here in 15 years, and then again, just before I die, to see if it lasts a lifetime.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-27-2008, 03:23 AM
We will all be waiting, with baited breath Mike.

There is a word for guys like you, it just escapes me right now... and no, it is not "innovator". :)

Mike M
12-27-2008, 09:44 AM
It's in the details.

You are arguing LED's, Joey is arguing 24v, and many people are saying "why change what works."

Can you imagine if Unique advocated using old school wiring for use with the 24v transformers, just in case the installer had to revert back to 12-15 v some day? With all the chaining, they already recognized the need to study the best way to do in-line connections, and not just depend on the hub splices.

I met a manu rep at FOLD last year who was thinking about the chaining just like me, and he told me about the old telegraph method of connections. The method involved stripping the insulation without cutting the wire. This was important to ensure all the thousands of splices would maintain a reliable flow of electricity.

The pierce point concept is even better in principal, because the installer doesn't need to cut the insulation, and actually performs two connections with one device. For the add-on, it replaces (3) splices.

irrig8r
12-27-2008, 12:41 PM
At $7 list for only 2.5" x 12" ???

Let us know in 2 years and again in 5.