PDA

View Full Version : Paint on Bedliners

canyonbc
12-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Hello All.

I wanted to get your advice.

I wanted to see if anyone out there had used the Hericules painted on bed liner from Kragen.

The kit is normally $ 99

It was on sale for $ 69.99

Then there was a $ 50 dollar mail in rebate form.

It seemed cheap, and I am going to put it in the back of a Ranger.

As anyone used the product of products alike, any suggestions on how to apply it outside of following the directions.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Never used it but I heard it flakes off?

canyonbc
12-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Never used it but I heard it flakes off?

O really...that is not a good thing to here.

Was it under extreme conditions?
Sat under the sun a lot?

Its an 98 and I had a stock liner in it until a couple months ago when I put a custom lumber back on it...had to take that liner out.

I have looked at Rhino and Line X - they all seem to be in the 425-500 range.

I am not looking for the longest last in the book but do want something that will last.

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 01:25 AM
I have always lived by "cheap is never good, and good is never cheap" It would really suck if you use this and it runined your truck. Good luck and hopefully someone who actually used it will chime in.

canyonbc
12-27-2008, 01:37 AM
I have always lived by "cheap is never good, and good is never cheap" It would really suck if you use this and it runined your truck. Good luck and hopefully someone who actually used it will chime in.

I think that is a great quote to live by, and I do a lot.

I am hoping too.

Please, pleas, please...

Thank you for the info.

buttaluv
12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I've never used those particular ones, but you could put one of those on and then get one of them $40 bed mats for the floor, that's where most of the abuse is anyway...you get what you pay for, and I think the Prep before the application is 80% to 90% of the job!!! Good Luck!!!

nosparkplugs
12-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Hello All.

I wanted to see if anyone out there had used the Hericules painted on bed liner from Kragen.

The kit is normally $ 99

As anyone used the product of products alike, any suggestions on how to apply it outside of following the directions.

The "do-it-yourself" spray on bedlines, in a can or roll on type, have know issues. here's what I have found.

Pro's:

1.) cost effective vs professional spray on
2.) do it yourself
3.) gives a durable finish for a fraction of the cost.

Con's

1.) while a durable finish, does not last like a professional spray on liner.
2.) frequent touch-ups
3.) not a lifetime bed liner

If your looking to save money? the spray on bedliners works. But know that a do-it-yourself liner will not hold up to the commercial abuse or sometimes the residential abuse a homeowner would dish out.

Nothing will repalce a good sprayed on bedliner. I would try to save up for the real thing.

DLAWNS
12-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Am I the only person that actually likes the plastic bedliners?:laugh: I think I am. I just for some reason have always liked them better...and they're cheap.

nosparkplugs
12-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Am I the only person that actually likes the plastic bedliners?:laugh: I think I am. I just for some reason have always liked them better...and they're cheap.

the plastic in bedlines are cheap, if you ever have to mount a goosenech hitch their a pain in the arse, and must be removed for a accurate measurement for the 4" hole cut:cry:. have you looked under the plastic liner in a while:confused: depending on the climate the plastic liner can accelerate bed corrison, and rust. The plastic liners are always moving around may not be visable to the naked eye. In a couple if years a truck bed finish is worn to the metal with plastic liner:dizzy:

DLAWNS
12-27-2008, 11:45 PM
the plastic in bedlines are cheap, if you ever have to mount a goosenech hitch their a pain in the arse, and must be removed for a accurate measurement for the 4" hole cut:cry:. have you looked under the plastic liner in a while:confused: depending on the climate the plastic liner can accelerate bed corrison, and rust. The plastic liners are always moving around may not be visable to the naked eye. In a couple if years a truck bed finish is worn to the metal with plastic liner:dizzy:

I can see how mounting a gooseneck hitch could be a pain. I've never used one. But I've used these bedliners for a long time and never had a problem, as long as you take it out and give it a good cleaning every now and again. Plus now that I've found fluid film I will be using that under the bedliner to prevent corrosion. Just never really saw that big of a problem with them.

CrystalCreek
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I can see how mounting a gooseneck hitch could be a pain. I've never used one. But I've used these bedliners for a long time and never had a problem, as long as you take it out and give it a good cleaning every now and again. Plus now that I've found fluid film I will be using that under the bedliner to prevent corrosion. Just never really saw that big of a problem with them.

I too am a fan of the plastic. Tough as nails and cheap as dirt which gose against what I posted earlier. Every other year I pull it out clean good, and some heavy duty paint and its all done. I like that I can slide things across the plastic when I need to. But if someone wanted to pay for a spray in liner, I could be willing to give it a try:laugh:

nosparkplugs
12-28-2008, 01:01 AM
I too am a fan of the plastic. Tough as nails and cheap as dirt which gose against what I posted earlier. Every other year I pull it out clean good, and some heavy duty paint and its all done. I like that I can slide things across the plastic when I need to. But if someone wanted to pay for a spray in liner, I could be willing to give it a try:laugh:

Tight wad:laugh: you have the cash CC, skip on that fancy coupler for a spray in liner. Sray in liner= no more bed maintenace??

TXNSLighting
12-28-2008, 01:08 AM

Yes, you are the only one.

CrystalCreek
12-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Tight wad:laugh: you have the cash CC, skip on that fancy coupler for a spray in liner. Sray in liner= no more bed maintenace??

But I want a fancy coupler!!! :cry:WAH :cry:WAH :cry:WAH!!! I am in the process of retiring my F350 from company service and when I start replacing things, I my go with the spray in liner. The truck will than only be for my use and occasional company use if the primary breaks down or need service. And one last thorn, Im not a tight wad:laugh::laugh:

nosparkplugs
12-28-2008, 01:13 AM
But I want a fancy coupler!!! :cry:WAH :cry:WAH :cry:WAH!!! I am in the process of retiring my F350 from company service and when I start replacing things, I my go with the spray in liner. The truck will than only be for my use and occasional company use if the primary breaks down or need service. And one last thorn, Im not a tight wad:laugh::laugh:

I hear you first things first $$$

CrystalCreek
12-28-2008, 01:18 AM
I hear you first things first $$$

You are going to be so jealous of my new FANCY coupler that you will be chipping out your spray in bed liner trying to cash in the chips to get your own FANCY couple. Trust me, I'm usually right about these things. Make it shiny with some fancy stainless steel parts and gear heads will kill each other to be the first to have it.

DLAWNS
12-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Yes, you are the only one.

Apparently not, read Crystal Creek's post. :laugh:

TXNSLighting
12-28-2008, 01:27 AM
You are one of 2 then :laugh:

DLAWNS
12-28-2008, 01:32 AM

True, I called up a place to get one installed in my old truck. The guy was like...ummm we do spray on liners.

CrystalCreek
12-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaa!!!!! I have a friend:laugh::laugh::laugh:

nosparkplugs
12-28-2008, 01:38 AM
True, I called up a place to get one installed in my old truck. The guy was like...ummm we do spray on liners.

I see whole plastic bed liners all the time on the side of the road here, what kind do yah need.

Some guys leave their plastic bed liners at the recycle center they must yank the whole plastic bed liner & load out somehow? & then book off. So they must be cheap

LawnTamer
12-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Hello All.

The kit is normally $ 99

I put it in one of my trucks, despite a few people here telling me it was crap. I should have listened to them. It is a garbage product. It flakes off, becomes brittle. It might be OK if you didn't really use your bed, but if you are really hauling stuff back there, it won't last a yr. Don't waste your time and money.

DLAWNS
12-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I see whole plastic bed liners all the time on the side of the road here, what kind do yah need.

Some guys leave their plastic bed liners at the recycle center they must yank the whole plastic bed liner & load out somehow? & then book off. So they must be cheap

I'm set, but thanks.:laugh:

Jason Rose
12-28-2008, 11:21 AM
To me, the better option is the rubber bed mat. Not the cheaper thin one, that comes folded in a box, the thick one that comes rolled up.

I hate the hard plastic bed liners, save for the ones that have came out the last few years, they were all slick as snot and everything would slide around, and if you had to get in the bed and had wet feet you were sliding too. Then all the bed wear they cause...

I've also seen the "do it yourself" bed coatings. Yes, they are a joke. May be fine for the guy that puts groceries in the bed only, but if you put anything in there that's heavy, or drag stuff across it, it comes off.

Now, I say I prefer the rubber bed mats, but the wheelwells and inside sides get scratched up still.. And I'd love to get my truck bed Rino-Lined. (personal truck). I kinda prefer the Rino because it has a softer "rubbery" feel to it and when you put something on it it stays put.

canyonbc
12-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I am not sure what I am going to do leaning away from the stuff I bought.

Personally like Rhino the best they are nice but for over $ 450 its tough on an older truck that doesn't get used but as a back up.

I had a hard liner, they were ok, then put a custom lumber rack on the truck and had the problem of occasionally chipping in the back and them getting under there and then getting wet a whole big mess.

I have seen the mats but like I said sometimes it is a extra chip bed if everything else is really full and we are in those funky situations.

Normally is just holds saws, gear and goes out for bids.

Thanks everyone.

TandM
12-31-2008, 08:46 PM
to answer your question I applyed the product in my 77 dodge 7 1/2 foot bed it works great and at first it started fading off from sittin in the summer sun but then I applyed another coat and no complaints! we have both rhino and line x in our trucks and line x is def not as good of a product we have 2 duramaxs which are 05s mine and another one mine has line x and the other has rhino and its been used harder and almost no chips the linex on the other hand is chipped all over the place especially the tailgate I like the rhino better. but the herculiner worked for my old dodge! Im applying it on the floors of it as well.

wellbuilt
12-31-2008, 09:23 PM
I use the plastic liners and never had a problem . I wax the bed then lay a2sheets of 6 mil Polly In 4 years the bed liner slides out like new. I do like duraback bed liner its roll on and if you pep it right it will last . I would do a tuch up every year or so . John

nosparkplugs
12-31-2008, 09:30 PM
I got an estimate from Line-X to professionally "Line-X" my fender flairs on my Dodge, they wanted $450, that's equal to a full size bed job. The reason is they have two open 5 gallon pails of part A & part B poly product. The bed liner in a can does work well for small jobs like fender flairs. I did my own flairs took about 4hrs the majority of my labor was "prep" work. The results are impressive still, and it's rock tough for the fender flair application, but weak for bedliner.

I spent $45 on Dupli-Color's "bed liner in a can"
4hrs total labor.

saved at ton of money, on my POS Dodge truck

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/fenderflareafter1.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/bestfenderflare.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/fenderflareafter.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/fenderflarebefore.jpg

TandM
12-31-2008, 09:32 PM
that looks awesome! man now I have to do that to our grey gmc great quality job!!
you really spent some well worth time on that!

ryry278
12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow yea those look great. Might do that also

canyonbc
01-01-2009, 01:55 AM
I got an estimate from Line-X to professionally "Line-X" my fender flairs on my Dodge, they wanted $450, that's equal to a full size bed job. The reason is they have two open 5 gallon pails of part A & part B poly product. The bed liner in a can does work well for small jobs like fender flairs. I did my own flairs took about 4hrs the majority of my labor was "prep" work. The results are impressive still, and it's rock tough for the fender flair application, but weak for bedliner.

I spent $45 on Dupli-Color's "bed liner in a can"
4hrs total labor.

saved at ton of money, on my POS Dodge truck

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/fenderflareafter1.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/bestfenderflare.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/fenderflareafter.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/fenderflarebefore.jpg

Nice, that actually looks GREAt.

Where did you buy it at?
How much with it?

How long as it been up and how has it taken the sun beating?

Is it rough like Line X or smoother like Rhino???

nosparkplugs
01-01-2009, 02:24 AM
look at the dates on the picture's for lifespan

It's UV stabilized, so their is zero sun fading to date, and I have powerwashed it up to 2,500PSI nothing seems to damage it. I'm sure if I took a hammer to it, I could get it to flake. Don't get any ideas it's still not as tough as my spray on Rhino liner.

The textured look is achieved with multiple layers/coats of product. The more coats the more texture "orange peel" look & feel is acheived.

I would recommend the Dupli-Color spray on bed liner in a can brand ONLY for accessories like: fender flairs, door sills, rocker pannels etc. I saw another do it yourself bed liner yesterday walking into home-depot it was flaking like crazy looked like a POS job.

canyonbc
01-01-2009, 02:50 AM
look at the dates on the picture's for lifespan

It's UV stabilized, so their is zero sun fading to date, and I have powerwashed it up to 2,500PSI nothing seems to damage it. I'm sure if I took a hammer to it, I could get it to flake. Don't get any ideas it's still not as tough as my spray on Rhino liner.

The textured look is achieved with multiple layers/coats of product. The more coats the more texture "orange peel" look & feel is acheived.

I would recommend the Dupli-Color spray on bed liner in a can brand ONLY for accessories like: fender flairs, door sills, rocker pannels etc. I saw another do it yourself bed liner yesterday walking into home-depot it was flaking like crazy looked like a POS job.

I saw they were taking back in March, and glas to here they still seem to be doing it well.

They look great, would like to transcribe that idea on a few other small things.

With really i guess anything in life, prep and a good prep is or can be the most important.

born2farm
01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Might be a late comment. I have Hercules in my truck and we also have it in 3 of the trucks at the farm. They hold up pretty well to constant abuse of throwing metal scraps and tractor parts etc. back there. They will peel if you slide something heavy on them. When I did my truck I put it on THICK. Used 1.5gal on a 6ft bed.

I wouldnt reccomend the Dupli-Color stuff. It flakes in the truck beds real easy and gets slippery. Does look good on the fender flairs.

mybowtie
01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Was thinking of having my backrack line-x'ed, but $400+ is nuts..Was thinking of the do it yourself kits, but dont want it to look like crap.......I'll probally use the rack till it gets ugly, then ues the DYI kit..

canyonbc
01-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Was thinking of having my backrack line-x'ed, but $400+ is nuts..Was thinking of the do it yourself kits, but dont want it to look like crap.......I'll probally use the rack till it gets ugly, then ues the DYI kit..

Ya they are all really expensive.

The truck bed does not get used very often and hoping to only get a couple more years out of the truck.

Still going back and forth on what to do.

nosparkplugs
01-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Ya they are all really expensive.

The truck bed does not get used very often and hoping to only get a couple more years out of the truck.

Still going back and forth on what to do.

I would go with a good rubber floormat be done! cheap, quit beating yourself up on this.

canyonbc
01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I would go with a good rubber floormat be done! cheap, quit beating yourself up on this.

I have looked at those, but I do chip into the truck occasionally and use a load handler dont think that would go over the nicest.

I am not beating my self over it, just want to make an educated decision.

Jason Rose
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
If you use a loadhandler then neither the rubber mat or ANY spray in bedliner is goning to work well with it. You need a slick surface for the loadhandler. They do have, used used too, a special rubber mat of their own for use with the LH. It's grippy on the bottom side and slick as snot on the top. I had one with my LH.

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
If you use a loadhandler then neither the rubber mat or ANY spray in bedliner is goning to work well with it. You need a slick surface for the loadhandler. They do have, used used too, a special rubber mat of their own for use with the LH. It's grippy on the bottom side and slick as snot on the top. I had one with my LH.

If they still make this, that sounds like your best option, yet.

mybowtie
01-01-2009, 09:48 PM

I useda regular blue tarp with my LH...worked great..tied it to the front tie downs in the bed...

canyonbc
01-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I useda regular blue tarp with my LH...worked great..tied it to the front tie downs in the bed...

Would you put it under the load handler tarp or above it ???

Did it really protect the load handler