PDA

View Full Version : Help On Convincing The Parents!?

Kennedy Landscaping
12-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, not sure if this is the right part of the site or not. But I have ran my 5x10 for about 2years now, it was great when I was doing 6 accounts, but I am now about 13 accounts and hoping to be at 20-25 by the end of this coming summer. My problem here is, obviously I am wanting and getting to the point where I will need a new trailer. I would like to upgrade to a 16ft Tandem axle, as I plan to get more heavily into the landscaping and other services as well. I pay for everything myself with the money I earn working. They keep telling me I am fine with my current trailer, which for now, I am doing somewhat ok, but the trailer gets packed all the time. Like I said I would purchase the trailer myself with my money, NOT THEIRS. My ideal setup would be the 36", 21", and handhelds with room for a leaf box on the front in the fall. And when necessary the Gravely, 21", and the Husqvarna. There are so many advantages for my company to have a bigger trailer. My neighbor even has a 16ft tandem he said he would sell me. Its a PJ, just needs new paint which I could do myself, and needs sides, which I could also do. It is in good shape. But my question here is how do I convince them that it would be a good purchase. I am determined to get it but it juut doesn't feel like the want my business to succeed. It feels like if I push one way they push back twice as hard. PLEASE HELP, anything is appreciated except bashing:waving:

KS_Grasscutter
12-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I moved up from a single to tandem axle a year ago. I kinda wish I hadn't. More problems with brakes, tires, etc. I think you should be fine with the 10' for a while, and if you do get a bigger one, keep that one also. That way when you don't NEED the big trailer, you don't have to use it.

I have found it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, just go buy it, don't even tell them. That's the cool thing about having my shop at a storage place, I can get a whole bunch of new ****, and they don't ever know.

At least your truck is big enough to pull the tandem axle, so that won't be a problem, too.

TXNSLighting
12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Its YOUR business isnt it? There ya go.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-26-2008, 11:38 PM
I moved up from a single to tandem axle a year ago. I kinda wish I hadn't. More problems with brakes, tires, etc. I think you should be fine with the 10' for a while, and if you do get a bigger one, keep that one also. That way when you don't NEED the big trailer, you don't have to use it.

I have found it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, just go buy it, don't even tell them. That's the cool thing about having my shop at a storage place, I can get a whole bunch of new ****, and they don't ever know.

At least your truck is big enough to pull the tandem axle, so that won't be a problem, too.

Believe me I would love to just go buy it without their permission, but I just don't think that would work out too well. They would be the people to make me take it back:cry:

Kennedy Landscaping
12-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Its YOUR business isnt it? There ya go.

Yeah but I'm in their house as I am only 15, 16 in July:laugh:

TXNSLighting
12-26-2008, 11:45 PM
yeh but if its your money then o well. Try out your sales skills for next years landscapes.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-26-2008, 11:53 PM
yeh but if its your money then o well. Try out your sales skills for next years landscapes.

Not sure I'm pickin up what you're putin down there?

KS_Grasscutter
12-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Not sure I'm pickin up what you're putin down there?

If you can "sell" your parents on letting you get a trailer, it will be a reflection of your sales skills in general.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-26-2008, 11:59 PM
If you can "sell" your parents on letting you get a trailer, it will be a reflection of your sales skills in general.

Haha how do you suggest I sell them on the idea? They seem pretty set on being @$$holes about it

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Ok, Stay with me on this one. Get some crack and sit at the kitchen table. When they come in and say " WTF?!?!", just tell them you had to spend your money on something:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now seriously, DONT DO DRUGS! I think you already figured that part out. But I would sit down with them. List the pros and cons of the bigger trailer. Have several price quotes to show them. Also explain that the bigger trailer is safer with a second axle and second set of tires. You should also explain that with a bigger trailer, you can carry more equipment and make less return trips to the shop. This will save you time and money, allowing you to make more $$$$ and get more lawns done. That is the name of the game. Just show them some posts on LS about trailers. Just leave my post out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best of luck. I know it is a PITA, but no one cares for you more than your parents. They want the best for you. It always good to include them in your plans. They have seen and done a lot more than you have yet. Life is the greatest teacher. Nobody better tell my mommy I said this, I would never live it down.

canyonbc
12-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I think a lot of people have broughten up some great points.

I think another point to bring up is...well first I would like to ask a question or two.

If you buy for example the trailer from your neighbor, are you going to completely drain your savings account?

2. Do you have the room to keep the bigger trailer at your shop or home? Can you keep both trailers on sight?

3. What is realistically the max number of clients you can do with your 5x10?

Obviously you want to maximize all profits but buying new equipment is an important thing, doing your homework is the most important part.

Your parents may not be fully against you getting the bigger trailer but they want you to do your homework and learn to neogiate.

Ex. Are the brakes electric? What is it going to cost to set up the electric brakes set up in your truck?
What are the cost of tires and what is the condition of the tires on the used trailer? How are the bearings, and what it would it cost to get them regreased.

How much can you do this work or with your folks.?

Go to the yards shop around, look around.

I know others have said it but I would go to them like I would go to the bank asking for a loan, I know it is your money but go with me.

You need a very detailed and well organized plan, print it up put it in a nice three folder with a cover and all. You own this business make it professional. Sit down with them and show them, everything what it will cost to up keep how much you have saved up how much a brand new one is etc.

Showing you parents you are this mature, can prove to them you are ready for this new piece of equipment.

Its all about research, you need to build a professional built proof argument so when you sit them down they dont have an argument back.

One last word of advice, I would pack in as many clients as you can before you buy a trailer. Granted I would have the money ready and a place for that trailer so when you get a new client or two or three you can go get that new trailer and get it working immediatly.

The other thing you need to look at it is the yards you work in, will the 16' be too long???

Best of Luck.

I hope this helps.

If you need any help any where please ask.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:36 AM
What would be your pros and cons on a bigger trailer? Just to give me some ideas of what to mention. If I told them the safety stuff, which I think is a good idea they would probably just laugh. Although it is a very good point. Just seems like they are against everything.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I think a lot of people have broughten up some great points.

I think another point to bring up is...well first I would like to ask a question or two.

If you buy for example the trailer from your neighbor, are you going to completely drain your savings account?

2. Do you have the room to keep the bigger trailer at your shop or home? Can you keep both trailers on sight?

3. What is realistically the max number of clients you can do with your 5x10?

Obviously you want to maximize all profits but buying new equipment is an important thing, doing your homework is the most important part.

Your parents may not be fully against you getting the bigger trailer but they want you to do your homework and learn to neogiate.

Ex. Are the brakes electric? What is it going to cost to set up the electric brakes set up in your truck?
What are the cost of tires and what is the condition of the tires on the used trailer? How are the bearings, and what it would it cost to get them regreased.

How much can you do this work or with your folks.?

Go to the yards shop around, look around.

I know others have said it but I would go to them like I would go to the bank asking for a loan, I know it is your money but go with me.

You need a very detailed and well organized plan, print it up put it in a nice three folder with a cover and all. You own this business make it professional. Sit down with them and show them, everything what it will cost to up keep how much you have saved up how much a brand new one is etc.

Showing you parents you are this mature, can prove to them you are ready for this new piece of equipment.

Its all about research, you need to build a professional built proof argument so when you sit them down they dont have an argument back.

One last word of advice, I would pack in as many clients as you can before you buy a trailer. Granted I would have the money ready and a place for that trailer so when you get a new client or two or three you can go get that new trailer and get it working immediatly.

The other thing you need to look at it is the yards you work in, will the 16' be too long???

Best of Luck.

I hope this helps.

If you need any help any where please ask.

To answer your questions, no it wouldn't drain my savings account, I was planning to save up during the summer as I only have one other purchase planned that will be in the spring. I have plenty of space to store it. And my 5x10 is really killing me on efficiency during the cleanup season. I have to spend 10 minutes unloading all the small stuff just to get to the mower because when the truck is full of leaves I have no where else to put things. With the accounts I have now I don't think 16ft will give me any problems. How would you suggest setting up and organizing that folder you speak of. I think you have really good ideas, but like I've mentioned it just feels like whatever I do they won't go for it. m Thanks alot for the help man

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:48 AM
The trailer my neighbor has is in good shape. 16ft PJ car hauler with electric brakes and break away kit. Rear stabilizer jacks and a few other things. My plan would be to paint it flat black becuase the current paint isn't too good but that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Then I would use the stake pockets to stack say two 2x6's on top of one another and have them cut real nice to form around the fenderwells. They too would be painted flat black to blend in with the trailer. I would also probably do some work to the electrical system to accomodate my setup a little better, then add racks and such, all in time, not right off. The current tires are in good shape as far as I can tell. I would also probably pressure treat the floor which would be no big deal, did it to my 5x10. Thats pretty much all I remember about it off hand.

KS_Grasscutter
12-27-2008, 12:49 AM
To answer your questions, no it wouldn't drain my savings account, I was planning to save up during the summer as I only have one other purchase planned that will be in the spring. I have plenty of space to store it. And my 5x10 is really killing me on efficiency during the cleanup season. I have to spend 10 minutes unloading all the small stuff just to get to the mower because when the truck is full of leaves I have no where else to put things. With the accounts I have now I don't think 16ft will give me any problems. How would you suggest setting up and organizing that folder you speak of. I think you have really good ideas, but like I've mentioned it just feels like whatever I do they won't go for it. m Thanks alot for the help man

Why not get equipment racks for the 5x10?

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Why not get equipment racks for the 5x10?

Well I somewhat plan to. But #1 I don't want them in the winter when I don't have the steady income paying them off. And plus I don't want to go mounting all that stuff only to take them off for a new trailer.

hosejockey2002
12-27-2008, 12:57 AM
What would be your pros and cons on a bigger trailer? Just to give me some ideas of what to mention. If I told them the safety stuff, which I think is a good idea they would probably just laugh. Although it is a very good point. Just seems like they are against everything.

I think we need to know a little more background about how you run your business. You're only 15, do you drive yourself around your route? I'm not sure of your state's licensing laws, but maybe your folks are concerned with an inexperienced driver driving a combo that is pushing 40 feet long. I am sure that their objections to the bigger trailer have some basis in logic, they aren't doing this to make you mad. As far as the cons to a bigger trailer, it will take more gas to move it and wear out your truck faster. It takes more room to park it, and will cost you more to maintain it. On the plus side, you have nearly twice the deck space and over twice the payload capacity.

I do have to commend you for your effort in the first place. So many guys your age are lazy and afraid of any type of hard physical work. So many parents don't want their kids to do manual labor and think they have to go to college and sit behind a desk to be successful. College is fine but there are many things to be learned by getting your hands dirty and working hard. If your folks won't budge on this issue, just ride it out and soon you'll be 18 and you can run your business the way you see fit. I'm pretty sure that you'll make your parents proud. Good luck.

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 01:04 AM
The trailer my neighbor has is in good shape. 16ft PJ car hauler with electric brakes and break away kit. Rear stabilizer jacks and a few other things. My plan would be to paint it flat black becuase the current paint isn't too good but that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Then I would use the stake pockets to stack say two 2x6's on top of one another and have them cut real nice to form around the fenderwells. They too would be painted flat black to blend in with the trailer. I would also probably do some work to the electrical system to accomodate my setup a little better, then add racks and such, all in time, not right off. The current tires are in good shape as far as I can tell. I would also probably pressure treat the floor which would be no big deal, did it to my 5x10. Thats pretty much all I remember about it off hand.

Flat black is nice, but very dangerous at night. I have a flat black trailer. I ended up putting sides on it, which are bright red like my fords paint job. I also installed the DOT consipcuity tape(red and white stuff) all the way up and down the sides. I think with your truck,(very nice by the way) I would paint the trailer metal flat black and the wood sides Bright white. The DOT tape is federal law, so plan on that in your cost. Remember, your equipment will be on this trailer. Wouldnt want someone hitting it.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 01:15 AM
I think we need to know a little more background about how you run your business. You're only 15, do you drive yourself around your route? I'm not sure of your state's licensing laws, but maybe your folks are concerned with an inexperienced driver driving a combo that is pushing 40 feet long. I am sure that their objections to the bigger trailer have some basis in logic, they aren't doing this to make you mad. As far as the cons to a bigger trailer, it will take more gas to move it and wear out your truck faster. It takes more room to park it, and will cost you more to maintain it. On the plus side, you have nearly twice the deck space and over twice the payload capacity.

I do have to commend you for your effort in the first place. So many guys your age are lazy and afraid of any type of hard physical work. So many parents don't want their kids to do manual labor and think they have to go to college and sit behind a desk to be successful. College is fine but there are many things to be learned by getting your hands dirty and working hard. If your folks won't budge on this issue, just ride it out and soon you'll be 18 and you can run your business the way you see fit. I'm pretty sure that you'll make your parents proud. Good luck.

Yeah I drive to all my lawns and jobs by myself. Thing about the length though. i have pulled a 20ft trailer with 3.5 tons of topsoil on it and they didnt care at all. Makes me mad because when I ask their reasoning all they do is get mad and start bitching at me

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Flat black is nice, but very dangerous at night. I have a flat black trailer. I ended up putting sides on it, which are bright red like my fords paint job. I also installed the DOT consipcuity tape(red and white stuff) all the way up and down the sides. I think with your truck,(very nice by the way) I would paint the trailer metal flat black and the wood sides Bright white. The DOT tape is federal law, so plan on that in your cost. Remember, your equipment will be on this trailer. Wouldnt want someone hitting it.

That scheme may not look too bad. It would definetly have DOT tape on it. And be decked out with LED lights. Thanks for the comment on the truck. I like yours too.

canyonbc
12-27-2008, 01:36 AM
To get to the best answer knowing as many variables will help.

The tools that you need to move because the truck is full, what are these tools?

Blowers, Whackers, Hand tools? What exactly?

What age can you get your license in Kansas?

What engine do you have in the 150?
Someone pointed out that very important fact that you will be shortening your life of your truck?

Would a 12 ft or 14 ft do the same job? and your parents be accepting?

canyonbc
12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
I would get a three binder with a clear plastic front print off your company logo as a cover sheet.

Then open..

Start with some pictures of your set up know just normal ready to go.

Then flip to the truck compeletly loaded with leaves and all.

Then write out exactly how much time is wasted you said 10 minutes a job times X jobs = X time = X money a day. Show them how much you are wasting.

Show pictures of the new trailer.

Get quotes of brand new ones.
Print out all cost that you will need to modify a new or old trailer.

All of this can just be done on Microsoft Word.
Simple neat professional.

You do need to realize what new brakes are going to cost on the truck as they will go faster. Through that in there, show them you have done your homework.

Lay it all out with a nice thing explaining why this is a good investment.

Then ask them what they think.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 01:43 AM
When the truckbed is full I haul my cones,trimmer,blowers,gas cans,rakes,barrells,mower baggers,gravely,21 and a few other things on the trailer. It is very packed when I do cleanups and mowing. I have my restricted license already which allows me to drive to my jobs and such. I will have my regular license when I turn 16 in July which will allow me to go wherever I need to go. The truck has a 351 in it. The engine is new and only has about 3,000 miles on it. Once again paid for by me. The smallest I would go on a trailer would be a 14 footer. I think I would leave that as a last resort though.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 01:46 AM
I would get a three binder with a clear plastic front print off your company logo as a cover sheet.

Then open..

Start with some pictures of your set up know just normal ready to go.

Then flip to the truck compeletly loaded with leaves and all.

Then write out exactly how much time is wasted you said 10 minutes a job times X jobs = X time = X money a day. Show them how much you are wasting.

Show pictures of the new trailer.

Get quotes of brand new ones.
Print out all cost that you will need to modify a new or old trailer.

All of this can just be done on Microsoft Word.
Simple neat professional.

You do need to realize what new brakes are going to cost on the truck as they will go faster. Through that in there, show them you have done your homework.

Lay it all out with a nice thing explaining why this is a good investment.

Then ask them what they think.

Defintly going to do that. Any other suggestions or questions? I had this problem convincing them I NEED commercial equipment. Showed them a business plan. No problems convincing them now

Jason Rose
12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Your parents sould like my parents were when I was your age... My mom was dead set against me spending ANY money on equipment, etc. When I was a little youger than you she thought I should be using THEIR mower and I shouldn't even own one! It was a fight from the word go, or "mow" I should say, lol.

I too gave up on asking, or even talking about buying such n such new mower or equipment. All it did was start a huge fight about how I was stupid and wasn't going to be doing this for ever and how I needed to get a real job... This argument lasted till I was in my early 20's, long after I had moved out. Support from my mom, I got NONE. I learned to just buy what I wanted, hide it as best I could and get yelled at when she found out.

Now, as for the 16' trailer. I think it's a good step... I don't care much for the PJ trailers with their "removable sides" because they aren't stationary you can't really mount racks to them because they flop around all the time. Well, you can mount racks, but whatever is in the racks gets beat up fast. They are well built structure-wise, and are all "fru-frued" up with the dimond tread fenders, recessed lights, etc, but then they totally failed on the gate design. Wrong expanded metal, horrible hinge design, goofy latch design that rattels a god-awful amount. And then they are about the most expensive trailer around here. It's hard to pick out a good one anymore though, there's soooo many junk ones around.

DLAWNS
12-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Ok, Stay with me on this one. Get some crack and sit at the kitchen table. When they come in and say " WTF?!?!", just tell them you had to spend your money on something:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now seriously, DONT DO DRUGS! I think you already figured that part out. But I would sit down with them. List the pros and cons of the bigger trailer. Have several price quotes to show them. Also explain that the bigger trailer is safer with a second axle and second set of tires. You should also explain that with a bigger trailer, you can carry more equipment and make less return trips to the shop. This will save you time and money, allowing you to make more $$$$ and get more lawns done. That is the name of the game. Just show them some posts on LS about trailers. Just leave my post out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best of luck. I know it is a PITA, but no one cares for you more than your parents. They want the best for you. It always good to include them in your plans. They have seen and done a lot more than you have yet. Life is the greatest teacher. Nobody better tell my mommy I said this, I would never live it down.

This is good advice. It shows you both sides of things.

AndyTblc
12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
My parents were like this too. I wanted to get some new equipment before I had my drivers license, so they wouldn't take me because they thought a little hand held poulan blower would be good enough. THen I bought a new stihl back pack for $400, then a year later traded it in for a better stihl back pack, and they yelled at me for that and said I'd be sorry. BUT I'm buying a camper this spring, and they're wondering when I'm going to get, and how much, if they can go. But they are dead set about me putting a plow on my truck so I can get bigger. But when I find the right plow, it's going on the truck whether they like it or not. Heck, I'm going to be 20 on Monday, and they still try and tell me how to run my business. I'm at that point where I don't listen to their direction. I listen to their advice, but half the time it's not a money maker. So you have to do what you want.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I would love to just go buy a trailer without their approval, but it would be kinda hard to hide a 16ft long trailer haha.

AndyTblc
12-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I would love to just go buy a trailer without their approval, but it would be kinda hard to hide a 16ft long trailer haha.

Don't hide it, just tell them that you had to buy it, because your equipment wouldn't fit on the trailer, and that you expanded your whatever and make up some stuff.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Don't hide it, just tell them that you had to buy it, because your equipment wouldn't fit on the trailer, and that you expanded your whatever and make up some stuff.

The thing is though, the equipment does fit on the trailer I have. Very tightly and very inconvenient when you need to get to something.

AndyTblc
12-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Hmm, I'd say go buy another piece of equipment real quick, and say that you need a new trailer because you can't fit everything on there now. But then they might say, "well you can come back and get it if you need it that bad."

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Guys I just don't know what to do about this. I am going to be putting together that presentation today and see if that does any good. But if it don't do any good I will be very mad about it.

AndyTblc
12-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Maybe if they see that you put all that time and effort into putting together a business plan, maybe they will give in.

punt66
12-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I would suggest equipment racks and better orginization. I will tell you this. The larger the trailer the more you will put in it. Then you will wat a 20'. I like single axle trailers for solo operations because your not hauling that much weight around and you wont be eating up tires and repairing brakes. Organization is key. You have small mowers. You should be fine for what you have.

nnj18
12-27-2008, 03:14 PM
I dont see why you need a 16' trailer, but hey its your money. If my parents were that bad I'd rent out a shop and never tell them anything. lol

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 04:03 PM
That scheme may not look too bad. It would definetly have DOT tape on it. And be decked out with LED lights. Thanks for the comment on the truck. I like yours too.

Now thats funny right their. I never posted a pic of my trucks. I dont know how. But I understand it was said with good intention. I still like yours. Maybe someday someone can teach me. I am mildly retarted when it comes to computers. It is only by the grace of God that I can type. Good luck with the parents.

TREEGUARD
12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
if your only 15 years old who's driving the truck that pulls the trailer. Thats my question

DLAWNS
12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Now thats funny right their. I never posted a pic of my trucks. I dont know how. But I understand it was said with good intention. I still like yours. Maybe someday someone can teach me. I am mildly retarted when it comes to computers. It is only by the grace of God that I can type. Good luck with the parents.

Crystalcreek---If you need a hand uploading pics, PM me. I just learned to do it recently and it's not nearly as hard as I thought.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 06:22 PM

Thats my bad. I had you mistaken for Creekview Property Maint.....He has a red Ford. I wasn't paying attention to the full name I suppose lol:hammerhead::hammerhead:

wellbuilt
12-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking your mom and dad mite not want the lawn bizz to work out because they would rather see you to go to school get smart and become a doctor or a lawyer . 15 is kinda young , they mite want you to apply your self in school instead of on the turf . I think the larger trailer would be a good move for the bizz . You will have the next 50 years or so to figure this out don't sweat it. Your way ahead of me, when i was 15 i pulled a bobcat mower with a moped . I had the edger on top of the mower and a rack for the trimmer on my handle bars . I made a ton of cash when i was a kid . John

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
if your only 15 years old who's driving the truck that pulls the trailer. Thats my question
I drive the truck. Bought it with my hard earned money and take great care of it and let no one drive it but me.
I'm thinking your mom and dad mite not want the lawn bizz to work out because they would rather see you to go to school get smart and become a doctor or a lawyer . 15 is kinda young , they mite want you to apply your self in school instead of on the turf . I think the larger trailer would be a good move for the bizz . You will have the next 50 years or so to figure this out don't sweat it. Your way ahead of me, when i was 15 i pulled a bobcat mower with a moped . I had the edger on top of the mower and a rack for the trimmer on my handle bars . I made a ton of cash when i was a kid . John
idk man. I am doing good in school and plan to go to college for business management and turf management. But right now I am extremely pissed off because my dad basically told me tonight he doesn't believe in me or my business. Hes like if you're just gonna cut grass all your life you don't need college. Really pissed me off. it just makes me sick to my stomach that he could think that.

nnj18
12-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Well this is something you're going to have to face....he is right, you don't NEED to go to college to mow lawns and ANYONE can do it. You have to make a name for yourself and set yourself apart from others. But if you stay a mow only guy people will always thing that. Going to college will help though! And the way you carry yourself, shows a lot about what you think of what you do.

bottom line is though, anyone can do it (this site proves it, i.e. some of the members). I mean even you prove it, you have one 36" mower and a bunch of 21" mowers and are 15. What other legit business could you possibly own at the age of 15??? Or even at my age of 18???

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't care what my dad says. I am going to college.

nnj18
12-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't care what my dad says. I am going to college.

I agree with you.....just reread what I said and understand it....

davis45
12-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Just throw it back in your dads face that he's a cop. He sits in a car and eats donuts all day, haha. (no offence to anyone, honest joke)

KS_Grasscutter
12-27-2008, 08:58 PM
My parents were like that, totally unsupportive of the business. Now they understand it and are much more willing to let me do what I need to make it work. They are even gonna let me use part of my college fund to buy a dump truck.

Give it time, they'll come around.

hosejockey2002
12-27-2008, 10:32 PM
But right now I am extremely pissed off because my dad basically told me tonight he doesn't believe in me or my business. Hes like if you're just gonna cut grass all your life you don't need college. Really pissed me off. it just makes me sick to my stomach that he could think that.

With all due respect to your father he's not thinking right. I would be proud to have a son like you who had the drive and work ethic to run your own lawn care business at your age. I have a son who is a lot older than you (22) who can't seem to show up at work three days in a row and is in and out of trouble with the law. I would set him up in a lawn care business, buy him the equipment, show him how to bid, teach him everything I know, but I won't bother because it's still work and I know he wouldn't do it.

Whatever happens with the trailer, keep at it and make the old man eat his words.

AndyTblc
12-28-2008, 09:02 AM
There are people that I know that cut grass on the side as a hobbie. They have their regular full time jobs, then they cut grass after that. They have college degrees and everything.
I agree that your dad isn't thinking right. I think if he said that around here, I think people would slap him for not encouraging something like that. And is all this because you want a bigger trailer? OR because of college?

Kennedy Landscaping
12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Just throw it back in your dads face that he's a cop. He sits in a car and eats donuts all day, haha. (no offence to anyone, honest joke)
None taken. Donuts are only at 4:30am when there is nothing else to do:laugh:
My parents were like that, totally unsupportive of the business. Now they understand it and are much more willing to let me do what I need to make it work. They are even gonna let me use part of my college fund to buy a dump truck.

Give it time, they'll come around.
Yeah, its not so much my mom as it is my dad.
With all due respect to your father he's not thinking right. I would be proud to have a son like you who had the drive and work ethic to run your own lawn care business at your age. I have a son who is a lot older than you (22) who can't seem to show up at work three days in a row and is in and out of trouble with the law. I would set him up in a lawn care business, buy him the equipment, show him how to bid, teach him everything I know, but I won't bother because it's still work and I know he wouldn't do it.

Whatever happens with the trailer, keep at it and make the old man eat his words.
I will, I have made it a challenge to myself to be successful and make him eat every last word.
There are people that I know that cut grass on the side as a hobbie. They have their regular full time jobs, then they cut grass after that. They have college degrees and everything.
I agree that your dad isn't thinking right. I think if he said that around here, I think people would slap him for not encouraging something like that. And is all this because you want a bigger trailer? OR because of college?
Well, the trailer subject pissed him off and then he just kept going on and on, then later my sister and I were talking about college and him still being a jerk said well you don't need college if your just gonna cut grass all your life. We haven't spoke since

nnj18
12-28-2008, 02:48 PM
dude get over it....its the truth, you do NOT NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. This is one of the lowest rank businesses in the nation, why? Because ANYONE can mow a lawn.

now I'm not saying to not go to college, but you need to wake up and REALIZE what people think. Because 99% of people you meet will feel the same way and theres nothing wrong with.....

why dont you tell me why you NEED college to mow lawns????

punt66
12-28-2008, 03:31 PM
dude get over it....its the truth, you do NOT NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. This is one of the lowest rank businesses in the nation, why? Because ANYONE can mow a lawn.

now I'm not saying to not go to college, but you need to wake up and REALIZE what people think. Because 99% of people you meet will feel the same way and theres nothing wrong with.....

I completely disagree with you. College gives you a foundation for life no matter what you decide to do. I have a degree and know and learned to network, sell, write contracts etc. Im a business man not a lawn boy. Theres a difference. A business man needs to know how to run a succesful business and a lawn boy just needs to know how to mow a lawn. I see on this site so many people conducting their businesses in such an odd way its no suprise many fail. Like pre pay or knocking on doors looking for payments. I see so many talk about getting angry if a payment is a week or 2 late. Its business. Most people dont know how to run it. If this young guy went to college and took business classes and focused his energy on his goals he isnt a lawn boy. If he kept doing waht he doing, not paying taxes or having insurance etc hes a lawnboy.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-28-2008, 03:44 PM

I AM going to college so I can better my business and hopefully have a fleet someday. If I ever do decide to get out of this line of work I have an education to fall back on. I don't need to go to college however I will choose to.
I completely disagree with you. College gives you a foundation for life no matter what you decide to do. I have a degree and know and learned to network, sell, write contracts etc. Im a business man not a lawn boy. Theres a difference. A business man needs to know how to run a succesful business and a lawn boy just needs to know how to mow a lawn. I see on this site so many people conducting their businesses in such an odd way its no suprise many fail. Like pre pay or knocking on doors looking for payments. I see so many talk about getting angry if a payment is a week or 2 late. Its business. Most people dont know how to run it. If this young guy went to college and took business classes and focused his energy on his goals he isnt a lawn boy. If he kept doing waht he doing, not paying taxes or having insurance etc hes a lawnboy.
Thanks for backin me

nnj18
12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Punt- I don't think you understood what I was saying. I agree with you 100%, there's a HUGE difference between a lawnboy and a business owner. Neither one needs college, but it does help. You don't NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. Now if you want to own a successful business it helps.

In this industry people will look at you two ways, "joe the guy that mows my lawn" or "John the guy with xxxx landscapes, you probably have seen his trucks around". I want to be the latter.....

That's all I was trying to show. But just because you go to college doesn't automatically make you guy #2.

punt66
12-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Punt- I don't think you understood what I was saying. I agree with you 100%, there's a HUGE difference between a lawnboy and a business owner. Neither one needs college, but it does help. You don't NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. Now if you want to own a successful business it helps.

In this industry people will look at you two ways, "joe the guy that mows my lawn" or "John the guy with xxxx landscapes, you probably have seen his trucks around". I want to be the latter.....

That's all I was trying to show. But just because you go to college doesn't automatically make you guy #2.

Its apparent you dont attend college and thats ok. But i can tell you one thing. I was a different person coming out of college than going in. It gives you a foundation. It gives you contacts. I have contacts all over the world from my college experiences.

nnj18
12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Actually for your info I AM in college and plan on transferring to a 4 year school. I'm going for business...though I don't think I'm going to stay around in landscaping too much. For the simple fact that ANYONE with a mower can cut a lawn. The customer doesn't give a shyt if you went to college or not.

punt66
12-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Actually for your info I AM in college and plan on transferring to a 4 year school. I'm going for business...though I don't think I'm going to stay around in landscaping too much. For the simple fact that ANYONE with a mower can cut a lawn. The customer doesn't give a shyt if you went to college or not.

hahaha ok. The customer isnt the one who cares if you went to college. Its your bottom line. Your direction. Your understanding of how business works. your professionalism. You can keep putting people down by calling them and yourself lawn boys but thats not what i am. Is a degree necessary in this business? No. Will it help? Absolutely and it will also help if you decide to do something else. I am glad your in college. I assumed you werent because you seemed so against the idea. I will never advise anybody to not get educated no matter what career path they choose.

AndyTblc
12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
If you look at it this way, at least you know cutting grass and plowing snow, you'll more then likely have a job. If things don't turn around with the employment situation, cutting grass and plowing snow maybe the only thing you have to earn money. Thats why I still cut grass, I like it, and I hate it. I wish I didn't have to do it. But it's the only thing I have right now to make money, so I do my best job at it to keep and get more customers. But plowing snow, I'll probly always do that no matter what. Thats fun.

wellbuilt
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
punt, i could not agree more or say it better . I had 5 friends that started off cutting grass in the 70s and we all went into different fields over the years . But cutting gave us a start in business . I'm a builder the other guys are pave rs, excavators , one guy builds roads . I don't think any one is cutting grass any more . In the 70 s you didn't need to go to collage to be successful. Now you really do . LF It sounds like you have other issues with your dad other then buying a trailer . good luck I have three sons and i can only try to help them . John

CALandscapes
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
But I would sit down with them. List the pros and cons of the bigger trailer. Have several price quotes to show them. Also explain that the bigger trailer is safer with a second axle and second set of tires. You should also explain that with a bigger trailer, you can carry more equipment and make less return trips to the shop. This will save you time and money, allowing you to make more $$$$ and get more lawns done. That is the name of the game. Just show them some posts on LS about trailers. Just leave my post out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I couldn't have said it better myself; great advice! :weightlifter:

Paradise Landscapes
12-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Are you using Your parents' Phone number for bisiness calls? Just thaught I'd ask. The amount of calls, having your mom qualify your leads for you, (provided you trained her) will see what kind of jobs your getting and Not just cutting grass. I always face that opposition sisnce I'm restarting.

Get this: I live on my own, I'm in college for a Hort. Degree and I'm still being told that I'm good at nothing but failing. I plan on doing it right this time arround and I plan on rubbing it in my moms face when she sees a new truck just suddenly put up, cut her grass and thats it. If she asks me how come she don't see me, I'd reply" Well, I've just been busy making a life for my family and loving my success.

DSLND
12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Austin,

My folks were like that a few years ago when my dad was working with me all the time.

Now, this past year when I had my helper, they never really had a clue how many yards I had, where they were, or whatever. Heck, sometimes I wouldn't even see my parents in a day I was working so much.

But I had a 5x10 as well, and I packed that thing. My 16' is a great asset to my productivity and I can throw anything on there.

It has extra space right now, but once I get my ZTR, it will be packed full, even with the racks.

Maybe have your folks give me a call, I can explain to them some of the advantages of it, and maybe help you out. It can't hurt.

Make sure you get experience driving that thing before you start working. I was fortunate, I got to drive three hours on the highway with mine just to get it home. I still get nervous in heavy traffic, or narrow roads, because that thing is wide!

Oh and Eric, I hear ya about the whole "parents not finding out" deal.

I normally tell my dad, and he's always cool with it, because he knows I have a clue what I'm talking about, and can point out what I need.

Its funny, when I bought my BillyGoat Vacum (great investment, btw!) I just bought it. I didn't tell him, and didn't have the intention of telling him.

Well.... my helper did. I could have killed the guy, but I know he was just being the friendly old man he is:dancing:

Dad wasn't pissed, he just asks that I tell him when I'm going to buy something from now on:laugh:

-Mitch-

BTW Austin, feel free to give me a buzz anytime

DSLND
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
BTW, here was my 5x10 before I got my 7x16

Lesco 48" WB (Sulky had to be de-attached for travel)
Toro Pro-Line 21"
Lesco 32" WB
Trimmers/Edger on rack; Blowers, grass catchers, garbage cans, and traffic cones in back of the truck

DSLND
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
And the 7x16. Much better:hammerhead::cool2::laugh:

South Florida Lawns
01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
buy it and keep it at your friends house

TXNSLighting
01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
buy it and keep it at your friends house

Fantastic idea!

slamjamrockinman
01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey man sorry to hear about your tough situation. Just hang in there, the parents hopefully will come around!! Btw I think the trailer would be an excellent investment. You could probably haul a lot of different stuff because it has the heavier duty axles(smaller bobcats, dirt, loam, heavy stuff) as long as your truck could handle it! Good luck with the parent thing, I know how that game goes!!

westcoh
01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
There's always gonna be people who doubt you, but if you truly enjoy what your doing I think you can be succesful at anything. Don't let them bring you down. In the end it's your money and your business, so go for it if you really think you need it. It doesnt sound like your parents are about to change their mind anytime soon anyways.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Are you using Your parents' Phone number for bisiness calls? Just thaught I'd ask. The amount of calls, having your mom qualify your leads for you, (provided you trained her) will see what kind of jobs your getting and Not just cutting grass. I always face that opposition sisnce I'm restarting.

Get this: I live on my own, I'm in college for a Hort. Degree and I'm still being told that I'm good at nothing but failing. I plan on doing it right this time arround and I plan on rubbing it in my moms face when she sees a new truck just suddenly put up, cut her grass and thats it. If she asks me how come she don't see me, I'd reply" Well, I've just been busy making a life for my family and loving my success.
No, I use my cell phone, and have gotten calls at dinner for business quite a bit, they just don't budge.
Austin,

My folks were like that a few years ago when my dad was working with me all the time.

Now, this past year when I had my helper, they never really had a clue how many yards I had, where they were, or whatever. Heck, sometimes I wouldn't even see my parents in a day I was working so much.

But I had a 5x10 as well, and I packed that thing. My 16' is a great asset to my productivity and I can throw anything on there.

It has extra space right now, but once I get my ZTR, it will be packed full, even with the racks.

Maybe have your folks give me a call, I can explain to them some of the advantages of it, and maybe help you out. It can't hurt.

Make sure you get experience driving that thing before you start working. I was fortunate, I got to drive three hours on the highway with mine just to get it home. I still get nervous in heavy traffic, or narrow roads, because that thing is wide!

Oh and Eric, I hear ya about the whole "parents not finding out" deal.

I normally tell my dad, and he's always cool with it, because he knows I have a clue what I'm talking about, and can point out what I need.

Its funny, when I bought my BillyGoat Vacum (great investment, btw!) I just bought it. I didn't tell him, and didn't have the intention of telling him.

Well.... my helper did. I could have killed the guy, but I know he was just being the friendly old man he is:dancing:

Dad wasn't pissed, he just asks that I tell him when I'm going to buy something from now on:laugh:

-Mitch-

BTW Austin, feel free to give me a buzz anytime
I would love to have them call you, not sure if they would be willing though or not, I may suggest it to them one day. I'll call some time.
BTW, here was my 5x10 before I got my 7x16

Lesco 48" WB (Sulky had to be de-attached for travel)
Toro Pro-Line 21"
Lesco 32" WB
Trimmers/Edger on rack; Blowers, grass catchers, garbage cans, and traffic cones in back of the truck
Wow thats packed!
And the 7x16. Much better:hammerhead::cool2::laugh:
Very close to what I want:D
Hey man sorry to hear about your tough situation. Just hang in there, the parents hopefully will come around!! Btw I think the trailer would be an excellent investment. You could probably haul a lot of different stuff because it has the heavier duty axles(smaller bobcats, dirt, loam, heavy stuff) as long as your truck could handle it! Good luck with the parent thing, I know how that game goes!!
I know the truck could handle it:) Its a beast. I've pulled a 20footer fine with more wieght than my equip. I got faith.
There's always gonna be people who doubt you, but if you truly enjoy what your doing I think you can be succesful at anything. Don't let them bring you down. In the end it's your money and your business, so go for it if you really think you need it. It doesnt sound like your parents are about to change their mind anytime soon anyways.
I'll prove em all wrong:)

Junior M
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
My mom insists, that I dont need a 3/4 ton truck, or the trailer we've already got, nor all the tools I've bought, but I do anyways, I dont even tell her anymore, now the trailer, that was a different thing, she got involved in the conversations me and my dad had and it was a time before me and Dad finely got a trailer and it would've been hard for us to hide a 30ft equipment trailer. But

Mom no longer even gets mad when I bring home something new cause she knows I'll just keep bringing home what I need, and now its to the point she wants to actually help me out, she helped me unload all the tools from the truck the other day. But I would definetly go with the whole making up a book thing to prove that you actually need a trailer, and you might throw in there that when you expand and get big enough you will have another trailer to start that crew off with. But if this was like about a trimmer or blower or even another mower, I would just go get it, but a trailer is pretty big thing to hide, and usually something you keep. But just remember like people have said before your parents are just trying to get you to do what they think is best for you, even if they dont know what exactly your doing or something like that.

Summit L & D
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok here's my suggestion for your trailer issue. Don't buy a 16' car hauler or regular flatbed. I'd wait and get a 16' - 20' enclosed trailer. I know what you're thinking....."where am I gonna put all the clippings and debris?" For now...the back of your truck. But let's face it, you're going to need a bigger truck pretty soon. So I would plan on that issue resolving itself in the near future with a truck that has a dump insert or a dump body specifically. If none of those options really suit you, then by all means, get the racks that will make your current setup more viable. Make sure you get the ExtremeRacks from trailerracks.com...they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Right now, one of our 6'x12' enclosed trailer is filled to the brim with shelving and racks just so that everything fits. Is it tight? Yes. But it works and is an efficient use of the space.

4SeasonsOutdoor
03-14-2011, 03:24 AM
if you want to sell them on the trailer find out why they dont want you to have it then tell them why thats not gonna happen. im guessing your parents might not want you to get the new trailer cuz they might be afraid you might start making (good money) and decide to not got to collage or something.

Knight511
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
if you want to sell them on the trailer find out why they dont want you to have it then tell them why thats not gonna happen. im guessing your parents might not want you to get the new trailer cuz they might be afraid you might start making (good money) and decide to not got to collage or something.

Just a tip... always look at dates on thread before you reply.... this thread was started in 2008 and the last post (before you created this zombie post) was in 2009... ;) it'll save you some grief with the "old timers" on the board.