PDA

View Full Version : Spring

moreira85
12-27-2008, 12:43 AM
IN Mass, i have a lawn that was hydro'd back on October and started to come up nicely but it got cold. In some spots the grass looks very good but there are some spots where it is very thin and the grass did not come up.
Few questions
In the spring do I overseed? If i throw spread new seed how do i match it to the seed that was planted in October so that when it grows it is the same color as the October grass?

How do I over seed?
My thoughts were to first aerate, spread seed, then fertilize. Is this correct?

White Gardens
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Any bare spots I would use a garden rake on first to till up the surface of the soil a little for good seed contact.

Try to get the same seed that was used last year to ensure the color matches up correctly. Try to contact to original guy who seeded it. I use a local Farmers Service (FS), and I can always go back and know that their blends are about the same year to year.

Aerate, seed, and fertilizer; that's the correct way to do it.

Smallaxe
01-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Another trick is to seed just b4 the ground starts to thaw. I would dust some compost over it just because the germination rate is higher and quicker.

The freeze/thaw cycle moves the seed far enough into the soil for good contact while soaking up springtime moisture. When conditions are correct - they pop and off you go.

I had seeded 2 lawns just before out first permanent snowfall last season. Any spots still thin on May 15th I will overseed again and cover with compost. I never pre-m - I just beat the crabgrass to the punch. :)

moreira85
01-05-2009, 11:43 PM
thanks, even thought the soil is newly put down and all the grass is not up yet will it be okay to aerate in the spring?

Smallaxe
01-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Why would you want to aerate in the spring?

moreira85
01-06-2009, 08:46 AM
i thought you were supposed to do spring in summer. when is the proper time to aerate in the northeast?