PDA

View Full Version : How to proctect trailer floor

kswaney
12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
any suggestions on how to protect the wood floor of my open landscape trailer. Ive heard of using thompson water seal, herculiner, non-skid paint from lowes...anyone used any of these, results? thanks

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I've heard of people going to Line-X or Rhino-Lining, or a place similar that does spray in bed liners, they can spray just about anything.

KS_Grasscutter
12-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Dont use a tractor and box blade to drag dirt or rock off of it. I've found...I mean, I've heard that's hard on things.:hammerhead::laugh:

muddstopper
12-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Dont use a tractor and box blade to drag dirt or rock off of it. I've found...I mean, I've heard that's hard on things.:hammerhead::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I left my cutter wheel running on my stumpgrinder one time and it scratched the wood a little bit. Not sure if linex would have helped prevent that or not.......:nono::nono::nono::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-27-2008, 01:15 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I left my cutter wheel running on my stumpgrinder one time and it scratched the wood a little bit. Not sure if linex would have helped prevent that or not.......:nono::nono::nono::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Oh, I thought he was asking for ways to protect the wood floor from deterioration, not damage from idiotic mistakes!:hammerhead:

pclawncare
12-27-2008, 01:16 PM
muddstopper im thinking linex wouldnt have helped you much on that one :rolleyes: :hammerhead: I orderd my trailer with a treated floor but from the day i got it every year i put some deck sealer stuff. I went to the local lowes and asked for the best stuff to protect against wear and uv and a guy pointed me toward some stuff. Its not clear like a stain its almost like a paint but you can see the wood through it when it dries. Every year i power wash the trailer and put a new coat on it. The floor looks as good as new and probably has 6 or 7 coats thick on it now. I can get the name off the can in the shop if you want it.

LawnTamer
12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Herculiner is junk, don't waste your time or money. I used a garage floor paint. I put down 1 coat, let it dry. Put on a second coat, then while that was wet, I scattered sand lightly over the deck, let it dry, swept it off, then did a 3rd coat. I just did it last winter, but so far, it has held up great, and is not slippery when wet.

seabee1
12-27-2008, 01:57 PM
i just soaked mine down with thompson's an clean and reapply in about two year's if you soaked it good !:usflag:

qualitylawnpro
12-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Ive heard of people spraying them down with diesel fuel.

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Ive heard of people spraying them down with diesel fuel.

That is what I do. A $10 dollar pump sprayer and a gallon goes a long way. I spray the deck and the underside twice a year. Diesel protects things and keeps metal from rusting. Think of it like Flud flim on steroides. I also spray all the trucks undersides down just before the winter and after an underside washing. Some trucks are 5 years old, used in winter snow removal, and show NO RUST!!!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Wouldn't that make the surface very slippery?

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't that make the surface very slippery?

Na. I spray them on a Friday, at the end of the work day. Then they will sit all weekend and on Monday morning the wood will have absorbed all the fuel oils. It gets a little slippery when wet, but not to bad. It is no worse that Tompsons when I comes to slipperness. Just a whole lot cheaper.

mason dude
12-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey Crystal creek is that an open or enclosed trailer?
I like the idea and agree that the cheap oily diesel fuel would keep water out of the wood, I'm just wondering if fumes would be a problem in an enclosed type trailer after being aired out for a few days of course ?? my gut says it would smell and be a fire hazard, but I dunno

newtostone
12-27-2008, 06:13 PM
On my enclosed trailer about every year I wash it out and repaint it with commercial floor paint, its for garage floors and such. and put like a sand/gri product in it. So far so good on a 3 year old trailer just the normal digs where we have dropped stuff.

Toy2
12-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Used motor oil, Thompson did not work the first time I soak it with oil every 6 months..

Donald A
12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
A little off topic, but, any thoughts on replacing the wood planks with a composite material like trex or something similar.

CrystalCreek
12-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I am going to answer a few post here.

Composite wood is a big no no. It is not as strong as regular wood. It will bow and may even break under the weight of our mowers. Remember they are very heavy. Also, those composite planks are twice the weight and twice the price. It seems like a good idea, and maybe as the technology improves with time it may be feasible.

Now to fumes and fires:laugh:

The fumes of diesel make me horny, but I dont think the build up will be very bad in an enclosed trailer. I do spray the underside of my enclosed trailers and they are towed by oil burners. The fumes and smells of the lawn equipment and grass residual is much stronger then the diesel fumes. Now to the fire idea. I understand where this thinking comes from. But unlike Gasoline, Diesel needs compression to burn from regular ignition. Here is a little science experiment. Take a cup of diesel and add one lit match. The diesel will extinguish the match. I have seen it first hand. Gasoline will also do this, but it is the vapors that Explode. A match can be extinguished in Gasoline under a vacuum with the absents of air. I do not see any reason that applying diesel to the inside of an enclosed will not work. Just open the vents for a few days.

I am making a disclaimer. If anyone blows up their shop or house trying to put matches out with fuel, I am not responsible. As they say on mythbusters, "never try this at home....EVER":laugh::laugh:

Hope this helps fellas.

mason dude
12-28-2008, 02:24 PM
well said, Thanks for explaining, I think I 'll try a spot or 2 and let it air out then close it up and check it in a few days, if its cool i'll proceed with the whole floor

Green Pastures
12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I had Line-X put down on the floor, walls (1' up) and the ramp of my enclosed trailer, INHO it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

DLAWNS
12-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I had Line-X put down on the floor, walls (1' up) and the ramp of my enclosed trailer, INHO it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run ya? Am I correct that Line-X is similar to Rhino Lining?

Yard.Barber
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
I prefer line-x over rhino. Have had it sprayed on all my truck beds and will be doing it soon the the truck I have now. for my pickup it is just over $400

lifetree
01-24-2009, 08:40 PM
... I used a garage floor paint. I put down 1 coat, let it dry. Put on a second coat, then while that was wet, I scattered sand lightly over the deck, let it dry, swept it off, then did a 3rd coat ...

That's ingenious !!

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Before I put line-x on my truck I was debating between rhino liner and line-x. After I did a little research and talked to several people I determined that line-x was the best choice. What I found out is that rhino liner is more flexible, which would mean that if something were to snag the liner, it would most likely tear the liner. So rhino liner is actually more "rubber" like (from what I hear). But line-x is less flexible thus won't snag on something slidding on the floor and tear. I have had my line-x for over two years and couldn't be happier with it. It did cost me a pretty penny though, just for the bed and step bumper was $650, then for along the bottom side of my box was another $100. So $750 all together. Good stuff though.