PDA

View Full Version : protecting trailer floor

kswaney
12-27-2008, 10:34 AM
any suggestions on how to protect the wood floor of an open trailer...I've heard of using thompson water seal, herculiner, or non-skid paint from lowes...anyone use these or others?

Right Touch
12-27-2008, 10:37 AM
garage floor paint and buy the extra grit packets to mix into it. its basically sand that you mix into the paint and makes a grittier surface (less slippage) and the garage floor paint is made to withstand oil and gas and such. I got mine at lowes. its like $60 a can tho but worth it

Az Gardener
12-27-2008, 10:52 AM
garage floor paint and buy the extra grit packets to mix into it. its basically sand that you mix into the paint and makes a grittier surface (less slippage) and the garage floor paint is made to withstand oil and gas and such. I got mine at lowes. its like $60 a can tho but worth it

How long have you had it on? I did not have such good luck with some I applied to a deck so I didn't bother to try it on my trailer.

We went with a spray in bed-liner professionally done. Looks great and seems to be holding up great too. Just under a year still looks new when I hose it down. Very pr icy though, at least in this market.

I was going to do Herculiner but after considering the labor for prep and the cost of that and materials I would only have saved about 100 bucks by doing it myself. I would also have had my trailer out of commission for several days. The stuff they sprayed in mine was dry almost immediately. My only regret is I only had the back half where the equipment is kept done due to price. next time I will have to suck it up and get the whole thing done. Seems to me it adds about $ 800-900 to the price of a 8.5 x 16 enclosed to do the floor and up about 3" on the sides.

DLAWNS
12-27-2008, 10:56 AM

I can't vouch for this, but I plan on doing this in the spring on my open and enclosed trailers.

ryry278
12-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Wow i was thinking about getting in rhinolined but $900 thats ridiculous. Maybe i will just seal it rellay well or maybe put down some of those basement tile things they got at lowes

Az Gardener
12-27-2008, 12:41 PM
The problem with most things that are designed for homes is that they do not account for the flexing that goes on in a trailer floor. Most household products for waterproofing/protection are designed for concrete or at the vrey least very firm / solid wood. It is the flexing that kills you.

Maybe the Rhino is cheaper in your area, I think I got Dura liner in my trailer. The Rhino is too chunky I have that in my truck bed.

ryry278
12-27-2008, 12:50 PM
No these pads were meant for like wet basements the have a rubber bottom i think. I dunno good point though... MY truck was quoted for $350 i think i figured the trailer would be easier since less to worry about just spray it lol

ed2hess
12-27-2008, 04:10 PM
I know how this will sound but we use old motor oil.

Right Touch
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
one trailer we did with the garage floor paint and it works great. We reapplied it a few years later, though it didnt really need it, just a preventative thing. the more grit you mix in with it, the better. Also, I tried this rubber flooring that I believe I ordered from Northern Equipment (its really cheap- like $80 for a 7x17 section) and it works ok. gets a little slippery when wet, but it has ridges in it to channel away any standing water and helps protect the floor, and easy to cut to shape. I wouldnt go all out and rhino line it, though that would be the best solution, but for the price, I'd rather reapply the garage floor paint every few years. Its always good to give the trailers a good cleaning and painting anyway. I remember my first trailer, a 4x8 open single axle, i used to grind and repaint every spring. kept it lookng so much like new that I almost got full value when I sold it a few years later.

TimTim2008
01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I know how this will sound but we use old motor oil.

what do you mean???

you mix it with paint? or you just poor it on the floor?

Toy2
01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Thompson is a waste of money, my old mower oil goes straight on the floor...

PMASON718
03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I need to put something on my floors. I need something for water b/c I will be hauling quads that will be wet after riding and washing them. What can I use to protect the floor from water.

Ztwo
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
used motor oil

South Florida Lawns
03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
any suggestions on how to protect the wood floor of an open trailer...I've heard of using thompson water seal, herculiner, or non-skid paint from lowes...anyone use these or others?

Unless its non treated why would you need to protect it? PT boards will last 6-7 years down here easily unsealed, and when the boards get bad a 16ft trailer is about $100 worth of lumbar. The sealer will need re doing every so often and you have to sand the heck out of it to make it work. Plus think how slippery the trailer decking will be once its wet.

I don't think its worth the effort to seal it.

ECS
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Every fall I pressure wash the floor and then put on a heavy coat of Superdeck. It then gets parked where I keep it and have to shovel it out, and shovel the snow off come mid April. Floor is 5 years old and still like new.

PMASON718
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Unless its non treated why would you need to protect it? PT boards will last 6-7 years down here easily unsealed, and when the boards get bad a 16ft trailer is about $100 worth of lumbar. The sealer will need re doing every so often and you have to sand the heck out of it to make it work. Plus think how slippery the trailer decking will be once its wet.

I don't think its worth the effort to seal it.

My floor is not treated wood. I was thinking about applying herculiner. to protect the wood from the water off of the quads. What do you think about this stuff