PDA

View Full Version : What kind of grass to use?

Jimmy Bell
02-23-2002, 05:27 PM
I live in the north central area of North Carolina. My poor yard is mostly crab grass and weeds. I have a little fecsue in the front and some bermuda in the back. They both have some shade from pine trees and hardwoods. It's almost March and I wanted to use "Halts" crabgrass preventer - but the lable says not to seed for 4 months. Is there anything I can do to have a nice green yard this year without tilling the whole thing up or burning it!? I think creeping red fescue would be good, at least I've read that it does well in shade. I need a schedule to follow: you know, when to seed, aerate, fertilize, (what kind to use). OK -Thanks for your help, I'm going outside to set my mole traps.:blob4: :blob4:

65hoss
03-01-2002, 01:01 AM
I guess you could find fescue sod.

I'll PM Kirby. He's in NC and can help you.

KirbysLawn
03-01-2002, 01:32 AM
You may want to lay off the Halt's and be content with whatever green you can get even if it's crabgrass and weeds. If you plant grass now you can't apply the Halts or treat the weeds, if you aply the Halts you can't seed for a while. If you prevent crabgrass and weeds you will only have dirt and the little grass you describe. The label is correct, if you apply the pre-m you cannot seed.

Is there anything I can do to have a nice green yard this year without tilling the whole thing up or burning it!?

Not without wasting your money unless you have irrigation. Any seed you plant now will not have time to establish a strong enough root system to survive a dry summer. I would wait until fall, soil test now, aerate/seed/fert, and water..water...water..

Here is a web site that will give you an exact schedule to follow:

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/pubs/ag-367.pdf