PDA

View Full Version : natural gas lights

Mike M
12-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome to put in one natural gas light fixture for a client, as a focal point to a portrait? That extra touch would probably turn heads and get referrals.

I saw some homes in a community that had them glowing on porches. Totally awesome.

I think I'll put a call into the gas company for more info.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Mike, Gas Lamps seem to be making a pretty strong comeback around here. There are a number of manufacturers making them. Not our arena though as you have to have a licensed gas fitter do all of the installation. If you are designing and spec-ing these, you should tell your client to be prepared for more maintenance too. They require cleaning and if located in the wrong places can be blown out by high winds, gusts, etc.

Regards.

irrig8r
12-27-2008, 09:29 PM
As I recall, Beachside Lighting sells one or two models.

http://tiki.beachsidelighting.com/images/Ohe_1_l.jpg

http://tiki.beachsidelighting.com

David Gretzmier
12-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I like gas lights, but they give what , 5 lumens of light ? There is a neighborhood around here that has gas lights on each home as carriage lights and gas street lights. they all burn 24/7, fairly dim at night, and gives the whole neighborhood kinda creepy feeling.

Mike M
12-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Imagine a post card with your logo and featuring "the amazing ambiance a natural gas light..." I think the property owners are just like us, they want to separate themselves from all the "typical" lighting jobs, with great designs, and key accents that rise above add-on guys.

Dave, I know what you mean, the community I was at fits your description, lol. But it's an elegant kind of creepy, and it takes away the sterile feel of all that brand new construction. They also have all these huge oaks with spanish moss, very impressionable.

I mentioned the idea of the gas light as a focal point. That means I don't plan on it as a tool to illuminate anything else. I think just one of these, balanced right with the lv, would look mind-blowing.

Pro-Scapes
12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
I see quite a few here. Some are even switch controlled with an igniter inside. They are more decorative than they are for light. Very nice looking. but mostly ornamental.

NiteTymeIlluminations
12-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I use a ton of Beachside tiki torches on propane on the islands. They are awesome! I wish i could use more Beachside products, they have the most impressive MR16 fixture I've ever held in my hands.

Mike M
12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Cool. Thanks for the Beachside Lighting info. Their website has a nice description of the differences between kerosene and propane or natural gas.

Something for me to look into, as this stuff would look awesome around hot tubs and pools around here.

I still need more info on lanterns, I will contact the gas company.

Kiril
12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Total waste of a valuable resource IMHO.

Lite4
12-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I lit a home up in Coeur'dlane (about 6 hours north of boise), last year. They had several large gas lanterns in the house, entryway, hallways etc. I didn't ever get to see them burning but I thought it was pretty cool. I like it mike, pretty cool focal feature. You just need a plumber to pipe it all and set it up since they have all the necessary licensing for this kind of work. Go for it!!

Mike M
12-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks, Tim.

Even if I get no direct bites, I'm thinking of my marketing image. A post card with that kind of content would reinforce an upscale designer image and help separate me from the average add-on guys.

Here's another thought, the Beachside website also has high-end tiki torches for kerosene, etc. No plumbing required. I think that would be cool for the people (and there are many here) who have a tropical garden around their pools, and just want the torches ignited for dinner parties, etc.

I just think they totally fit the same objectives of back yard illumination as lv lighting. I need more info on the lanterns.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Mike, just so you know...

Nightscaping also makes some kerosene fixtures, namely the Tikiliter and the much smaller (and quite interesting) Savana

http://www.nightscaping.com/savana_cu.htm

Both have an integral LV lamp for downlighting and have the torch feature as an effect.

Regards.

Mike M
12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
That's pretty cool, thanks, James. It's like a back-up in case the Powercenter fails.

(hehe)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Exactly, or in case the bone head who daisy chained 40 LED fixtures onto a loop of 16/2, using pierce point connectors made some strategic and technical mistakes!

Lite4
12-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Thats a pretty cool light. I could have used something like that for a small install I did sometime back.

Mike M
12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
James, I can't believe you would post insulting comments aimed at Billy like that.

Mike M
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Tim, it seems to be worth looking at for areas that need a little down lighting from a high position, and there is no structure or tree nearby.

A putting green would look cool like that.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Thats a pretty cool light. I could have used something like that for a small install I did sometime back.

The Nightscaping tikiliter is a pretty interesting fixture. I have used them occasionally in large open patio areas where the client wanted a festive mood, and there were no other options for area lighting. I prefer to order them with a threaded base for custom stakes and with wedge base sockets rather then the stock SCB socket. They do a nice job with no glare, and the flame out of the top is a great touch when entertaining.

The Nightscaping Savana is very similar, but much smaller. Typical pathlight dimensions. I have a sample here but have never installed them.

It is pretty neat having the LV lamp installed with the option of the flame when you want it.

Regards.

David Gretzmier
12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I agree. I like the savanna and think it was also be nice at keeping bugs away with citronella oil. cool fixture. SEE - I do sometimes like nighscaping stuff.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Added bonus with the Savanna fixture would be the need for constant service calls to fill up the lamp oil reservoir! (You wouldn't really expect your client's to bother with this detail would you?) David... order a gross immediately! I see service revenue increasing dramatically in 2009! :)

David Gretzmier
12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
for some reason I just can't feel fulfilled putting oil in lamps. feels, so , i don't know, 1st century?

Mike M
12-30-2008, 07:26 AM
for some reason I just can't feel fulfilled putting oil in lamps. feels, so , i don't know, 1st century?

Lamp oil, fuses, 15 v transformers, halogen wiring methods, I know what you mean. :p

Seriously, people will spend big money to get that old "feel." Think outdoor fireplaces, indoor fireplaces, gas stoves, stone patios, the value of mature plants in a landscape design, retired greyhounds (okay, these are free), handmade candy, the entire antiques market, going for a train ride through Canada, etc.

For lighting, it's the backyard escape thing. That's where people will spend their money to get away from it all. Take them there. Take them to a tropical island with tiki torches.

Heck, this is why I wanted to check out putting greens. Take them to a Fazio course, and illuminate it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
For lighting, it's the "up at the lake" escape thing. That's where people will spend their money to get away from it all. Take them there. Take them to a pristine forested lake side retreat with tiki torches.

Nice to see you are starting to see the forest despite all the trees Mike! :clapping:

Mike M
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I see my new lawn-mowing division increasing my workdays dramatically in 2009!

Go, James!!

Mike M
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike, I finally see the forest through the trees. And that pierce-point idea is brilliant. By the way, I might add that the LED fixture housing design by Kichler is starting to grow on me. Hey, does anyone have the number of a good realtor? I'm thinking about throwing away my boots and moving to the US, the most awesome country in the world.

Now, you're seeing the light!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
A: We don't have many "lawns" round these parts.

B: Anyone who knows me and understands me will see right through your shenanigans! :canadaflag:

Mike M
12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
A: We don't have many "lawns" round these parts. The moose eat all the grass.

B: Anyone who knows I love the US and understands me will see right through your shenanigans! :usflag:

This is fun. You started it.

JoeyD
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
We have a new Tiki Torch fixture that will also house a LV light fixture.....It is being tested as we speak and should be available in the Spring!

NightLightingFX
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Show us pictures ASAP!
~Ned

JoeyD
01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I will do that!!

Eden Lights
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
We worked at a home last summer that had all gas fixtures speced on the home, I tried to talk them out of them in non-key areas: back door, side entry, and etc. Then I tried to talk them into switched gas valves with auto light features, but they said they were to pricey. First gas bill for the lights was $540 for the month or about $15 per light, My quote to retro back to electrical units was about 25K, Alot of them are just turned off now. One or two are great in a design, but a energy hog when you start using them everywhere and they burn 24/7.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Wow... That is some great background info! Here we don't have N.Gas supply but most of my clients burn propane (LPG). It is even more costly then NG.... I will remind them of this the next time I come across someone wanting a bunch of gas lamps.

The switched valves and auto light features sound like a great idea, and would probably have paid for themselves in short order.

NightLightingFX
02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
The Nightscaping tikiliter is a pretty interesting fixture. I have used them occasionally in large open patio areas where the client wanted a festive mood, and there were no other options for area lighting. I prefer to order them with a threaded base for custom stakes and with wedge base sockets rather then the stock SCB socket. They do a nice job with no glare, and the flame out of the top is a great touch when entertaining.

The Nightscaping Savana is very similar, but much smaller. Typical pathlight dimensions. I have a sample here but have never installed them.

It is pretty neat having the LV lamp installed with the option of the flame when you want it.

Regards.

James,
I have a project I am working on right now. Where they are building a pool area. The Tikiliter sounds like the perfect fixture. However, I am kind of concerned about the hight of the fixture. According to the cut sheet it is only 40" or a little taller than 3 feet - Am I reading it right? I am kind of thinking I want something between 4' to 5 feet tall. Joey, what are the specs going to be on your Tiki Light? Will your Endeavor fixture be interchangable with your Tiki Light?

I don't know the exactly how the landscaping will be around the pool but I do know there will be a decorative cast iron fence around it. These Tiki Lights need to be higher than the fence or it will look wack.
~Ned

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-05-2009, 12:17 AM
No worries Ned. Just call Nightscaping and tell them how tall you want the fixture to be. They will make it for you as needed.

Nightscaping is the BEST company on the market when it comes to customized fixtures. They will build what you want, how you want and deliver it to you on time.

Regards.

NightLightingFX
02-05-2009, 12:50 AM
James,
Regarding your experience with the fixture, what do you think is a good aesthitically appealing hight?
~Ned

klkanders
02-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Will your Endeavor fixture be interchangable with your Tiki Light?

Ned, That's a great idea if they havn't thought of it yet. If so when they are pouring concrete you could have some endeavour stakes ready to go for a more permanent and solid base! It would be nice to just set them out when needed for a party or whatever.

Keith

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-05-2009, 08:26 AM
James,
Regarding your experience with the fixture, what do you think is a good aesthitically appealing hight?
~Ned

Ned, it will all depend on the application, sight lines, and desired effect. I have only installed a few of the TikiLiter. I had the stems extended to 60" and fitted with a 1/2" NPT fitter on the end to mount into custom deck plates. The customer is thrilled now that his sun deck at the shoreline now has soft, safe ambient light on a nightly basis, and he can light the torches for a festive feeling when necessary.

Regards.

NightLightingFX
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
60 inches would be good. It makes me feel better to know that someone has had a good experience extending the Tikiliter. I am not a big fan of the copper finish, but I guess it is all I got unless Unique gets their butt in gear and gets their fixture ready to sell. Thanks for the input. I am excited to try out this Tiki light. I will keep you posted on the progress. It stilll maybe a couple months before we get it all figured out.
~Ned

JoeyD
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
We are still a ways away from getting our Tiki Light ready. They will be here by late Spring - Roughly about 2 months out. But they are nice, weathered brass, have a low votlage lamp and an oil chamber for that Hawaiin experience!!