PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for a plant

Sweet Tater
12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I need a plant to mix in with canna lilies, something evergreen, low maintenence, maybe flowers and take shade well.

PerfectEarth
12-28-2008, 03:14 PM
'Otto Luyken' Laurel

Sweet Tater
12-28-2008, 06:36 PM
'Otto Luyken' Laurel

Thank you, I did a seach on the web for it, ery nice shrub. thank you very much

PerfectEarth
12-28-2008, 07:22 PM
No problem! Hope it works for you. Also check out the Schip, or "SKIP" Laurel- it's sorta the taller, more upright version of the Otto... one of my favorite shrubs!

The Elements Group
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
are you looking for a shrub as a back drop? try winter daphne, azealas, certian ferns, also dependind on light try anise

White Gardens
12-31-2008, 12:52 AM
What kind of cannas are you using???

Most of mine get upwards of 8-10 feet in good soil conditions.

I'm guessing that they grow year-round in MS, so take in consideration they can swallow up everything around them.

AGLA
12-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Canna Lilies do not take shade.

White Gardens
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Canna Lilies do not take shade.

Not necessarily true. They will grow in the shade, only not as prolifically. There are some varieties that like part to full shade also.

Sweet Tater
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
What kind of cannas are you using???

Most of mine get upwards of 8-10 feet in good soil conditions.

I'm guessing that they grow year-round in MS, so take in consideration they can swallow up everything around them.

I am not sure of the names of cannas , its just the average green leaf with yellow flower, they get about 6ft average here and no the are not year round, but I am aware of their reproducing rapidly

White Gardens
12-31-2008, 09:17 PM
The only thing I don't like about the evergreen idea with the cannas is that you'll have two different looks.

With the canna, you'll have a tropical feel and sticking an evergreen in with it might look a little out of place.

If you do go evergreen, maybe a boxwood with a larger leaf structure. If it were me, I would go with a rhododendron with a larger fleshy leaf.

Heck, might want to look into a hardy palm too.

Also, I know of a canna grower in Arkansas that leaves his in the ground all year, (Karcheski's (SP?) Cannas) I'm sure that if you have a standard hardy canna, it should be OK in the ground all winter in MS.