PDA

View Full Version : Retention Pond/Water Overflow Planting?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I take care of a property that has a Retention Pond, more less a Water Overflow area as it rarely has standing water in it, mostly dry. Any suggestions on what plants might thrive along the bottom or along the bottom edges to try and hide this unsightly area? Its only approx. 15' x 15' in size and its landscaped up to the upper edges, but the bottom and bottom sides simply get full of weeds and looks horrible if I don't pull weeds all the time, can't I plant something in there to conceal this? Any suggestions would be great!

PaperCutter
12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm not as familiar with what grows in your area, but I know the last time I researched rain gardens and infiltration swale plantings for my area I saw a lot of plants recommended that I knew could tolerate both wet feet and a little drought. Search on Google for rain gardens in your area, or you could even check with your local extension office.

Dreams To Designs
12-29-2008, 12:10 PM
What Dave has suggested, would be your best plan of attack. Treat the area like a rain garden. You made need irrigation to get what you plant established, but after that the dry and flood stages can be handled by a large group of plants. Here we can use Ilex glabra, Ilex verticilata, Clethra, Itea, Fothergilla, and quite a few perennials, including iris siberica.

When I create a rain garden, I try to mulch as much area as possible, with the exception of any inflow areas. There I usually go with some sort of rock to breakup the flow and not be washed away. Being in zone 8 in Oregon, you should have a wide array of plants that will fit this situation to choose from. Many of these type of plants are colonizers and will spread over time. You may have to head in once or twice a year, depending on weather to thin or shape some of these plants, but otherwise they will require little maintenance.

Kirk

AintNoFun
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
we plant a lot of spartina and carex plugs in basins.. we dont do the design work just the install. i know you guys have a big problem with spartina being very invasive there on the west coast so i dont htink you want to put that in, lol.. you can maybe call your local soil conservation/water management agency and they might have suggestions for ya...

Spartan Pride
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Irises! Anytime I deal with a situation involving damp or water logged soil conditions, I usually use a combination Iris planting in some capacity.

There are too many varieties to speak of, but I personally like the look of Siberian Irises, as their foliage can be something to look at as well.

Another idea is to create a wetlands type planting with native species. Here in Michigan, that's a somewhat common practice as many of our wetland species are endangered and people are always looking for a way to re-establish them.

AGLA
12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Red-twig dogwood is also very good.

Google something like -"retention basin seed mix " to see what shows up in the mix.