PDA

View Full Version : new herbicide

RigglePLC
12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I head about a new broadleaf herbicide called aminopyralid, by Dow. A relative of clopyralid. It is marketed as "Milestone" in agriculture. It is in the EPA "reduced risk" category. Very low rate of use: 0.03 to 0.1 lb per acre.

http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/mgmt/2006/aminopyralid.shtml

HOWEVER...aminopyralid is causing problems in England--temporarily banned there. Seems used on pasture land. Then forage havested for silage. Then fed to cows. Then the manure collected, sold and then used on organic gardens. Hard to believe, but it then apparently caused problems--herbicide injury on tomatoes, legumes and sensitive plants. :hammerhead:

I suppose it will never be registered for use on lawns because the clippings would retain herbicidal activity in a composted situation. :cry:

Kiril
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
HOWEVER...aminopyralid is causing problems in England--temporarily banned there. Seems used on pasture land. Then forage havested for silage. Then fed to cows. Then the manure collected, sold and then used on organic gardens. Hard to believe, but it then apparently caused problems--herbicide injury on tomatoes, legumes and sensitive plants.

Interesting how the reported half-life of the AI by the unpublished Dow studies is so far off.

At least one state had enough common sense to question it.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/herb-growthreg/24-d-butylate/aminopyralid/aminopyr_wth_0207.pdf

ICT Bill
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
New Zealand and Australia have sued to get it out of their country as it does not break down in compost and contaminates the farms that the compost is used on.

I am not saying use it or not, it just has a bad rap internationally.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Thats not good

azjojo99
12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I head about a new broadleaf herbicide called aminopyralid, by Dow. A relative of clopyralid. It is marketed as "Milestone" in agriculture. It is in the EPA "reduced risk" category. Very low rate of use: 0.03 to 0.1 lb per acre.

http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/mgmt/2006/aminopyralid.shtml

HOWEVER...aminopyralid is causing problems in England--temporarily banned there. Seems used on pasture land. Then forage havested for silage. Then fed to cows. Then the manure collected, sold and then used on organic gardens. Hard to believe, but it then apparently caused problems--herbicide injury on tomatoes, legumes and sensitive plants. :hammerhead:

I suppose it will never be registered for use on lawns because the clippings would retain herbicidal activity in a composted situation. :cry:

It's on the Milestone label not to use Manure from animals that have eatten forage treated with Milestone on broadleaf plants. Same goes for Tordon & Grazon. Grazon and Tordon will go through the ground and kill trees in pasture/hay fields. They are restricted use ag herbicides. They are great on pasture land, but you must follow the label. Don't even try planting a row crop for a few years in treated land.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
My dad used Milestone on his farm for some bad creeping charlie patches. Kicked the livin crap out of them - worked very well.

Does anyone else know anything about Milestone?

grassman177
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
doesnto sound good to me, but if it was on the label then_________

Richard Burnett
04-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Milestone is registered for pastures. Works good on pasture type weeds. It has a long residual that can turn up in manure from stock feeding on pastures that have been sprayed with it. It is NOT a turf chemical. Its also very good at killing roses and other ornamentals that people probably dont want killed. The grass clippings will also kill those roses if they are used as mulch

Volman
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Milestone is a good pasture product for many broadleaves, but is does say on the label that it will remain in the grass cuttings & manure. I thought it might get a turf label, but prolly not going to happen. I like it for the low volitility standpoint. Dow also has Forefront R & P which is basically Milestone & 2,4-D