PDA

View Full Version : Aeration Advice!!!!!!!

SOONERS222
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Greetings gentlemen!!!!! I am new to the site... It is a pleasure to finally be a member! I have been mowing for 5 years now and have recently purchased some aerating equipment... Does anyone know how I can get my hands on a liability release form sample??? Also, any experts out there have any advice for me before I get started? Thanks in advance.

ICT Bill
12-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Greetings gentlemen!!!!! I am new to the site... It is a pleasure to finally be a member! I have been mowing for 5 years now and have recently purchased some aerating equipment... Does anyone know how I can get my hands on a liability release form sample??? Also, any experts out there have any advice for me before I get started? Thanks in advance.

Advice? work hard, be honest and pay your bills on time. don't forget to spoil your wife and kids

good luck with the new venture, I hope you bought a quality machine because the cheap ones will beat you to death in a couple of days

turfcobob
12-31-2008, 09:47 PM
get waivers on invisible dog fence and irrigation or walk away. Both will cost you more than you make.

You may want to contact the PLANET (Professional Land Care Network) organization in Atlanta. They have lots of information for their members.

Smallaxe
01-01-2009, 11:14 AM

If there is a question about trust with a client -I move on.
When I flag the irrigation heads I make sure that I do not hit one. A wider berth for Invisible Fence or underground cable lines.
If I was a client and someone ask me to sign a piece of paper that releases them from responsibility for stupidly damaging my property - I would move on.

The most important thing about aerating is to know if it is necessary or not.

SOONERS222
01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the info... I will be sure to check out PLANET. Also, How do you know when to aerate???? Also, what techniques do you guys use to know when to aerate?? Do you use the screwdriver test??? Thanks again!!!

Smallaxe
01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
What's the 'screwdriver test'?

Kiril
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM
What's the 'screwdriver test'?

A poor mans penetrometer.

Smallaxe
01-02-2009, 06:56 AM
You mean to see how easily it jabs into the ground?

So here they talk about aeration to relieve compaction more so than 'thatch' problem. Am I reading this correctly?

SOONERS222
01-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Smallaxe,
Yes that is what I read about the screwdriver test... Yeah, you are reading this correctly. Again, I am a rookie in regards to aerating... All advice from you experts would be great. I purchased a Ryan Lawnaire IV recently on ebay and will use it to aerate some neighbors yards as well as some family and friends(to make a little extra money of course). Once I get the hang of the equipment and the process, I will look to advertise and make some more $$$$$

SOONERS222
01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Also, I noticed a guy aerating in my neighborhood yesterday (35 degrees in Columbus)... Is this ok??? I thought fall was ideal and spring was ok also.

sulcl
01-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Sooner, you can aerate anytime of the year if you are just aerating. Fall is best to aerate and seed same time but, 35 degrees I dont know ground would be a little hard mess up the tines. In my opinion

joe crumpler services
02-14-2009, 11:03 PM
If there is a question about trust with a client -I move on.
When I flag the irrigation heads I make sure that I do not hit one. A wider berth for Invisible Fence or underground cable lines.
If I was a client and someone ask me to sign a piece of paper that releases them from responsibility for stupidly damaging my property - I would move on.

The most important thing about aerating is to know if it is necessary or not.

I have an invisible fence in my yard that extends next door to my inlaws. If the client has forgotten where the fence line runs a portable FM radio can be tuned to buzz over the line so it can be marked.

BTW...If at all possible DO NOT live beside your inlaws.