PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use or drove a nissan titan truck?

milo
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
im looking to get another truck USED. only brand i will not buy is dodge. my front runner is nissan than toyota than ford than gmc, chevy.
any input on nissan great help.

yeayea14
12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I wouldnt buy neither i would buy american and nothing less than a 250 0r 2500

STIHL GUY
12-28-2008, 11:09 PM
go with a Ford. you wont be dissapointed

TXNSLighting
12-28-2008, 11:56 PM
3/4 ton Ford or GM. Cant go wrong with either. Nissans are ok, but not for work.

milo
12-28-2008, 11:59 PM
i have 2 f150's i really want a nissan titan i think. they have the most hp and torque and drive more car like

DBFlawn
12-29-2008, 12:02 AM
i have 2 f150's i really want a nissan titan i think. they have the most hp and torque and drive more car like

But will they hold up like a truck?

Jmill88
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Ford F-150. Buy american. Our country needs it now more than ever.

TXNSLighting
12-29-2008, 12:45 AM

You havent driven to many vehicles...

lawnboy dan
12-29-2008, 09:50 AM
the titan tows like a champ but reliability is about par with the big 3 and not up to the quality of a tundra. compare the tundra with the titan before you buy.

Lakewlc
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
it would be a good personal truck

Tuna3679
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I drive a 2007 Nissan Titan Extended Cab everyday it pulls a trailer fine, has had no breakdowns, can seat four comfortably and drives easily(i.e. great turn radius).

ryry278
12-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I wouldnt buy neither i would buy american and nothing less than a 250 0r 2500

Really look under the hood tell me where all those parts are from i bet not many from America. Lol i think its funny when people think they are buying American the only thing American about them is they are assmebled here just like nissan is. congrats Chattanoga on the new plant.

GravelyGuy
12-29-2008, 09:29 PM
You can't go wrong with the Tundra. Be sure to get the 5.7, then you have a work truck and drag truck:p.

Toyota may have a crew cab long bed coming soon. That would be a winner in my book.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-29-2008, 11:01 PM
To come on here to this site and ask for general opinions about which truck to buy is pointless. 90 percent of the guys here will tell you that...

1. Buy a Ford

2. Buy "american"

3. Buy nothing smaller than a 3/4 ton truck

4. Buy nothing with 2 wheel drive

5. Buy a diesel, gas engines are worthless

I have been there and done that.

1. I personally don't care for Fords. They make a decent truck, but as far as I am concerned, all of the brands make a decent truck. I find the interiors boring and too plain on Fords, and I don't like the exterior styling on any of them, their MPG is usually lower than other comparible trucks and their gasoline engines have less torque and horsepower than other comparible makes.

2. I personally don't care where the truck I buy is made, or what logo is in the middle of the steering wheel or on the tailgate. I am buying something for myself to drive. I work hard to make the payments and take care of the thing and have it take care of me. I don't care if my truck purchase helps some worker in Detroit make 70+ a hour or some worker in Japan make whatever they make.... It is great to think about the concept of buying " American " but reality is, smart people buy what smart people feel like is the best overall deal for the money, In some cases, it ends up being a american made product, in other cases it may be made in Germany or Japan or even dare I say.... China!!!

3. I do not haul loads that require the extra payload a 3/4 or 1 ton truck has over a 1/2 ton truck. Just like the reason below on why I don't have 4 wheel drive, I also don't need a 3/4 ton truck and don't see any reason to pay extra to buy and drive and maintain a larger, heavier and more thirsty truck, just for the once in a blue moon time I MIGHT need to tow or haul that heavy load.

4. I find that since I live where snow is rare, and I don't care to take my truck "muddin", four wheel drive is just pointless extra weight / mechanical drag to worsen my MPG, and I pay more for the truck for a feature I never use.

5. Diesel verses gas has been beat to death on this forum, but again.... since I don't need a 3/4 ton truck, and diesels aren't offered in 1/2 ton trucks, this is a no brainer for me. But just comparing diesel to gas, as I have said before in other threads, gas simply is the better choice unless you truely do need a larger truck such as a 3/4 or 1 ton or even larger truck. At that point you might as well get diesel, because a gas engine in a truck that big, hauling or towing a load that is so heavy you needed a truck that big to start with, well at that point the diesel is the better engine. But if your truck needs can be easily met with a 1/2 ton truck.... jumping up to a 3/4 ton or larger truck just so you can have a diesel is not only the wrong choice, it is plain stupid, and I am not ashamed to admit I have been there and done that too.

As far as the nissan titan, they are good trucks. I considered them twice, once in 2003 when I ended up buying a Chevy Avalanche instead, and then again earlier this year when I ended up buying my Toyota Tundra. Not to sound biased, but I am willing to bet if you drove the newest body style tundra and then drove the Titan, you would want the Tundra. Of course I have seen used Titans listed for sale pretty darn cheap and seen some good buys, and I know you could scoop up a used Titan for a good bit less than a used Tundra.

genesis215
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I have driven both 1/2-ton and 1-tons, both Fords. The 1/2-ton had a 351 gas V8, and my 1-ton I have now is the 7.3L diesel. The 1/2-ton does just fine towing up to 3500 lbs. The diesel that I have now is truly amazing for it's torque and MPG. I don't feel the load behind me like I did before. I get 18-20 pulling around town, and I got 15-17 with the gas. If you want a new truck, the Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L iForce V8 is the way to go. By the way, Toyota IS making a Crew Cab long-bed Tundra, I have seen a few of them in my area. The 5.7L Toyota V8 is just awesome, it gets 20 MPG. Nissan's just aren't as good as Toyota.

milo
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
ok, went and drove alot of trucks past 2 day new and used.
new i drove:: titan, tundra, f150, gmc 1500, ram 1500.
used drove :: 06 titan, 05 f150, 07 silverado..
in my opinon.. overall i love the titan, super quiet, best ride and handleing and fastest one for sure...
next f150's and tundra. the f150 (new) had kinda stiff ride a little louder and drove big meaning felt like huge viehicel.
next tundra good all over i felt but nothing execellent and would love one.
the gmc, kinda boring felt solid and had stiff ride like f150.
the new dodge, (note im not a dodge fan) but nice truck that offers alot of neat little things and extra storage. drove smooth.

and just a note to people use only drive the big 3. go drive the titan and tundra, they will really surprise you, the titan power feels like a sports car and will smoke the rear tires like nothing, and yes i know all trucks can but the titan just has solid power,
one more note someone wrote, i think the nissan and toyota are more built here in u.s.a than the fords and chevys not sure about the dodge, but tundra i think is all built here and titan a lot too.
to the big 3 guys check your vin number and do a search and see most are from canada or mexico. i think its the 2nd or 3rd vin that tells where they were made.

milo
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
You havent driven to many vehicles...

a note, i used to be a mechanic out of high school and drove a ton of cars and trucks, i just have not driven the newer like about 04 or 05 and newer trucks.. nissan titan won all tests and awards in 2004 when first came out and thats the year of the new f150 so it shows you something. and dont forget i am a ford guy but the nissan is inpressive.

jefftb
12-30-2008, 11:45 PM
go over to the titantalk.com forum and check out the history of the truck from the owners.

The Titan is going to disappear BTW-its been a problematic truck for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest is the rear axle failing for no reason and with a number of failures being on non-tow vehicles. Some owners are on multiple rear axles.

I nearly bought one until I spent time over there reading through the posts.

I agree, the truck was the best performer and the one I wanted based solely on giddy up-n-go and appearance.

Nissan has/had an agreement with Dodge on the new Ram in a cross-branded scenario-that officially meant that the new Titan would be the new RAM, albeit with some market modifications. Not sure if that will stay on schedule with the recent financial problems in the vehicle market.

Indy cutter
12-31-2008, 12:53 AM
I have driven my friends titan a few times. The truck is really quick and does handle well, seems like the truck is awful thirsty. We pulled two dirt bikes on a 6 by 12 open trailer and I watched the gas needle move on the 120 mile road trip. My 07 GMC 2500 gasser seems to get better mileage than the titan. Nice trucks and just what I noticed.

MileHigh
12-31-2008, 01:07 AM
This thread is pathetic..

TXNSLighting
12-31-2008, 05:29 PM
This thread is pathetic..

That Avatar is good lookin!

nosparkplugs
12-31-2008, 06:43 PM
im looking to get another truck USED. only brand i will not buy is dodge. my front runner is nissan than toyota than ford than gmc, chevy.

If you think Dodge is a POS truck:laugh: The Nissan did poorly on the "consumables" test for commercial use. Don't get me wrong the Tundra & Titan are way ahead of the game in styling. The Titan is made in USA, just the money goes back overseas.

Dodge trucks have served many members on here well, so the" Dodge is a POS argument" is getting old:sleeping:

The big three are at par on quality with the foreign automakers in 2008; especially in the full size truck segment. Toyota & nissan don not offer a true "full size 3/4 ton truck, and are lagging in payload & engine options. I think once the payload & engine option is correct with a full size truck option the Big three will be SOL.

gene gls
01-01-2009, 09:40 PM

I was watching some of the "big three" questioning by the Senate over the loans that the big three were looking for and Chrysler stated it was deversified by building the Nissian pickup and a Volkswagon line.

anthonyslandscaping
01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
If Nissan built such a great truck, then why are all Full size Nissan trucks going to be built by Dodge starting in 2010. Nissan knows their truck will not hold up to the Americans over the life of the truck so they are going to pay us to make them.

So which truck do you want the dodge or the dodge labeled a nissan.

punt66
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
BUY AMERICAN PEOPLE! People are losing jobs! Yea some parts in american cars ar foreign made but the money stays in the US! You buy a japanese vehicle the money is gone! Our econemy is in trouble. What the hell is wrong with Americans. You all are so spoiled its always get the most for your pennies even if it means your neighbor loses his job and house. Do you people not see why our econemy is collapsing. Why the big 3 are in trouble? Do your part!

Big Blue Sky
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
We are running a 2006 and a 2008 Titan for our maintenance crews. They both pull a 7 x 16 foot enclosed tandem axle trailer through Intown Atlanta (that's in the city for those not familar).
Advantages . . .
Reliable, never had a break down or issue.
Get respectable gas mileage for pulling around the city (about 14mpg)
Plenty of power and torque.
Comfortable and safe.
Biggest driving advantage is the short nose. When pulling a trailer through the small city streets of Atlanta (notorious for our traffic issues), there is very little room for navagation. The short nose really helps.

Disadvantages . . . pay load. Not a big deal for our maintenace routes. But inadequate for skid sprayers or loads over 1500 lbs, like installs. We have talked to our service center about gas shocks and/or helper springs (which Nissan approves) to bolster up the pay load. About $1,200 installed. Gives us an adddtional 1,600 lbs. of capacity.

All were bought new with a 100,000 mile warranty.
Our 2006 has 74,000 miles on it. Oil changed (synthetic) every 7,000 miles, tranny flushed and synthetic run every 30,000 miles. Bought one new battery at 55,000 miles, Tires at 55,000 and breaks at 55,000. Runs like a champ.

2008 has 15,000 miles on it. No issues at all. Synthetic Tranny fluid after break-in period, oil changed every 7,000 miles. Nissan upgraded the front discs. They are Bigger and better.

Love these trucks. Highly recommend them. I have used Chevy, Ford and Dodge. Chevy HD's are good trucks as are the Ford F series. Dodge has a good power plant but the tranny and rear ends are questionable. Great warranty though.

All in all, the Titan fit our needs very well. One motor option, one tranny option, all trucks are built the same. Parts are easy to get and affordable. Gave us the capability to standardize our fleet.

TXNSLighting
01-02-2009, 12:46 PM
BUY AMERICAN PEOPLE! People are losing jobs! Yea some parts in american cars ar foreign made but the money stays in the US! You buy a japanese vehicle the money is gone! Our econemy is in trouble. What the hell is wrong with Americans. You all are so spoiled its always get the most for your pennies even if it means your neighbor loses his job and house. Do you people not see why our econemy is collapsing. Why the big 3 are in trouble? Do your part!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Jmill88
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM

I couldn't agree more!

stuvecorp
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Yet how many buy everything at Walmart?:rolleyes:

Just don't buy anything.:)

nosparkplugs
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Come on?? Obviously none have tried the "buy only made in USA" recently; because you would have to drive to multiple stores to find one American made product for the 5 same foreign made at any one store. We asked for this right???? some are always complaining about price.

I try to stay loyal, but some times their just is no option or choice

The "buy American" slogan died in the early 80's when we really had the chance to make a change.

stuvecorp
01-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry, just getting a little belligerent. It's just if we are going to go all ape about trucks why not resurrect the rest of the buy American campaign? I'll go sit in the corner now.:)

punt66
01-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Come on?? Obviously none have tried the "buy only made in USA" recently; because you would have to drive to multiple stores to find one American made product for the 5 same foreign made at any one store. We asked for this right???? some are always complaining about price.

I try to stay loyal, but some times their just is no option or choice

The "buy American" slogan died in the early 80's when we really had the chance to make a change.

Just excuses. No choce of a truck? There is more made in the US then you think. Its never too late. My wife and i do it every day.

jefftb
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
I try and buy American whenever possible but it has to be a purely made in America product and it has to better in my mind than the options.

I paid extra for my Klein handheld work tools, paid extra for my Chippewa boots that were made here, and am paying extra for those cowboy boots about to be delivered in a few days.

Did I pay extra for my recent handgun purchase? Nope, I felt the product I wanted (imported by one of our oldest gun suppliers-Springfield Armory) was better than the US made alternatives. I had a purely selfish reason here. I do try but sometimes there are other widgets made better elsewhere.