PDA

View Full Version : Writing Newspaper Ads?

Mowman
02-23-2002, 08:27 PM
What do you put in your newspaper ads to get a GOOD response. I've put ads in for the last 3 years and didn't get one call. The ads run from the middle of March til the middle of April. I think that would be the PRIME TIME to place this ad. Living where I do mowing starts about April 1st or a little later depending on the weather. Any ideas for a WINNING AD will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mowman

LawnLad
02-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Post your sample... maybe you can get a few suggestions/critiques this way.

Stonehenge
02-23-2002, 10:08 PM
I've found that newspaper ads yield poor results. I'd suggest spending marketing dollars elsewhere.

Nebraska
02-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Three years is a long time for no results.

Tim Canavan
02-24-2002, 04:31 AM
Let's see that add!

PAPS
02-24-2002, 05:27 AM
and get a TON of business from it... with an basic ad like this:

PAPS LANDSCAPE DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
- Complete Grounds Maintenance.
- Landscape Construction.
- Machine Work, Grading & Excavating.
- Full Tree Service.
For a free consultation call ****

just that simple

lbmd1
02-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Mowman, I have sent you an email regarding your post, check your box.

Mike

Henry
02-24-2002, 10:03 AM
I also run an ad in a local paper for about 4 years now and it get's us alot of work. This year I kept it in all winter and get at least 2 calls a week from it. Maybe it's a Jersey thing.

Nebraska
02-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Anyone willing...post a copy of your ad I am curious to see what it looks like and the size.
If your prefer a more private sharing email it.

Stonehenge
02-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Maybe it differs by market - around here, no landscape companies have ads in the paper, except for the ones with garden centers, where they are having specials. The other exception is newbie cos that don't know any better. :( Took me about $1500 to figure it out.

TGCummings
02-25-2002, 12:22 PM
We started running an ad in the Service Directory of our local paper in December and have had 9 solid prospects from it, of which we've closed 4 sales who are now regular customers. The ad costs about $100/month and the 4 customers generate $200+ per month in revenue, so it's paid for itself already.

We've also received a half-dozen calls for one-time, or additional service jobs, none of which I've taken.

I've also received 3 calls from people looking for work, none of which I hired. ;)

I went real simple on the ad, starting with the tag line: Affordable, to make us the first listing. It reads:

...AFFORDABLE, professional lawn care. Free quotes. Our names. Our phone number...

We'll run that ad a couple more months to monitor returns and then 'tweak' it as necessary. I'm always looking for good suggestions on how to improve the returns, or quality of returns, from our ad. Any suggestions?