PDA

View Full Version : Whats in there???

born2farm
12-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Well as I was loading the new toolbox on my truck today I got wondering what everyone else carries in there toolboxes. Type away.

ryry278
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Hm well when i got my new truck i had no where to mount my truck box, but what i keep in my truck and did in my old truck box..
good strong rope
a tarp
a socket set
hammers
assortment of nails,screws, nuts and other random things
screw drivers
a jack
razor knife for than dang landscape fabric
bungie cords and straps
a ton other stuff
mine used to be real nice and neat but you will find unless you keep on it that it will go wild out of control stuff everywhere.

TXNSLighting
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I have no idea whats in my toolbox...I have my measuring wheel, and plant tarp on top. I have no idea whats under it. Im scared to look.

stroker51
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Haha, yeah mine isn't much better than texans. My mow truck has a measuring wheel, tire plugs, little air compressor, jumper cables, tool set, cordless impact, rope, straps, and a little basket with some misc. chemicals, mole killer, roundup, broadleaf, it's also my spray truck. My pickup has another measuring wheel, rigid 4-pak, jump box, misc. irrigation parts/tools. plow emergency kit, levels/tapes, whatever else it collects. I just started loading the underbody boxes on my dump, so far got some chains, my little stihl chainsaw, washer fluid, still stocking her up.

KrayzKajun
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
crap i dont remeber where i put my truck tool box!! i think its in my storage shed somewhere

CrystalCreek
12-30-2008, 12:38 AM
The really sad part is I know exactly what is in my truck box. Here goes.
Full set of tools in 5 draw crapsman tool box
complete socket set 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drives
battery jump starter with compressor
full High Vis rain gear
two 12 ton come alongs with 75' of 3/8" air craft cabble
3 30000 LBS tow straps
Triangle set / 4 LED safety flare set
A home depot bucket with hand shovels, extra trimmer line, 2 cycle oil, prunning shears.
Adjustable pintal hitch
Three boxes one for bungies, one for tie down ratchet straps, the last for boat line rope. (2-50')
Bucket of scrubs hand wipes
three quarts of powerstroke 15w40 and a gallon of diesel fuel conditioner
one gallon of washer fluid and ice scrapers for winter months only
6 piece dewalt 18volt tool kit
3000 watt power inverter and 25' of extention cord

I think that is about it. I use to do highway construction and off road recovery on the side when I worked for the power company. Yes it all fits and it is perfectly organized. The good news is I could flip the truck over and nothing would move. The bad news, I takes a week to repack it just to get a screwdriver.

born2farm
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
full High Vis rain gear
3 30000 LBS tow straps
A home depot bucket with hand shovels, extra trimmer line, 2 cycle oil, prunning shears.
Adjustable pintal hitch
Three boxes one for bungies, one for tie down ratchet straps, the last for boat line rope. (2-50')

I think that is about it. I use to do highway construction and off road recovery on the side when I worked for the power company. Yes it all fits and it is perfectly organized. The good news is I could flip the truck over and nothing would move. The bad news, I takes a week to repack it just to get a screwdriver.

sounds like its packed in there. do you charge you dewalt set in the truck or at home? im trying to find a way to run a power inverter back there someway thats easy.

brandon9996
12-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Well as I was loading the new toolbox on my truck today I got wondering what everyone else carries in there toolboxes. Type away.

Ive got just about as many tools laying in my bed and inside my farm truck than whats in my tool box haha, i noticed your name said born to farm and i was just wondering what kind of farmer you were? I farm with my dad and grandpa in North East Arkansas we got 14,240 acres of cotton, rice, corn, and soybeans.

CrystalCreek
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
sounds like its packed in there. do you charge you dewalt set in the truck or at home? im trying to find a way to run a power inverter back there someway thats easy.

I have both. I purchased the dewalt 12volt charger for the 18 volt batteries. I also have a PTO on my truck. It can run either the generator or the hydraulic pump. It depends which switch I hit. Actually it can run both. The truck is set up to high idle when the generator is switched on, which is 12000 watts. The hydraulics require a stand alone reservoir. It is a 15 gallon tank that hooks up in line. I can run the hydraulic jackhammer, trash pump, concrete saw, and chain saw. Great tools, but very expensive. I think I went a little over board with this truck:laugh:

Now to your question. On my old truck, I had a 1200 watt inverter, mounted behind the seat. The inverter needs 6 gauge cables of the truck batteries. I went with 2 gauge to better handle the loads. From the inverter I ran a heavy 10 gauge extension cord into my truck box. The cable plugs into the inverter inside the cab. I than drilled a hole through the side of the tool box and mounted a double outlet box. When I need the juice, I just flip the inverter on, and bamb, 10 amps of power. I still had the extra outlet on the inside of the truck to run lap tops, cell, charge batteries and flashlights.

Hope this helps clear the air about the inverters. PM if you need help. I guess working for the power company had its perks.

Chop Stuff Up
12-31-2008, 07:46 AM
ice, beer, and fishing poles

Jason Rose
12-31-2008, 12:18 PM
On my work truck, the tool boxes mostly hold irrigation parts and supplies, and the misc. tools associated with that. Plus a spare tarp, bungee cords...

Behind the seat in the work truck, Fire extinguisher, traingles, tow strap, jumper cables, ratchet straps, rope, some other stuff I've already forgotten...

Trailer tool box: Set of deep and std sockets, combination wrenches, a variety of pliers and screwdrivers, some spare nuts and bolts, belts for everything, another tarp, tape measure, pruners, hand clippers, loppers, oil, spray lube, hand saw. Again, more than that usually...

Personal truck, Keep fire extinguisher behind the seat, then in the toolbox have another toolbox I've made up with a variety of common sized sockets, metric and standard, an assortment of hand tools, lug wrench and spare lugnuts (fancy chrome wheels on truck, if I need the spare I need the old nuts). Extention cord, bungee cords, tie straps, cheap cordless drill I was given (that amazingly holds its charge forever it seems) Jumper cables, tow strap, bag of ice melt (it's winter, it's a dry place to leave it).

It takes a long time, at least for me, to get to where you have everything you may need, but not stuff you never need, carried with you all the time. It only takes one time of "oh crap, I need a..." To make you realize the value of a well stocked toolbox!

born2farm
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
thanks guys.i think i got everything i need in there with a few exceptions. still gotta go buy a 20ton bottle jack, log chain and some tow straps. i had a hard time deciding what tools to keep in the garage and what to take but i got the basics and figure if i need anything that i dont have ill run home and get it then keep it in the tool box

nosparkplugs
12-31-2008, 07:23 PM
All items are anally organized & waxed:laugh: would like an I.E.D for non authorized entry:nono:

At least $1000 worth hand tools/air tools
AMSOIL diesel/gasoline fuel additives/bar lube/Fluid Film/grease gun/brake & parts cleaner/lots of shop rags in bags/ nitrile hand gloves :clapping:
chains/ clevis hooks/ 3 25'vertical lift straps 13,500lbs
small handle shovel
jumper cables
extra blades for mowers
extra weedeater heads/edger heads
winter overalls
25ton bottle jack
way too many tie down straps:dizzy:
extra chainsaw chains/extra bar
extra filters/sparkplugs/for handhelds
spare bolt/nut/washer kit

DLAWNS
12-31-2008, 07:42 PM
full High Vis rain gear
3 30000 LBS tow straps
Adjustable pintal hitch

I'm the same way...perfectly organized. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth...like you said it takes forever just to pack it back up. But at least you have everything you need.

Swampy
12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Right now:
Socket sets
Jack stands
Kevlar Helmet
Hard Hat
Carpenters harness
About 6 speed squares
200ft tape
1/2 case of field marking paint
About a 1000ft of 12-2
And what seems like a million miles of extension cord

Helping my brother build his house this winter.

Q? can you get parts for weatherguard boxes, the four gas shocks are shot on mine.

TandM
12-31-2008, 10:14 PM
everything I need to completely rebuild my truck on the side of the highway including a engine hoist .

CrystalCreek
01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
All items are anally organized & waxed:laugh: would like an I.E.D for non authorized entry:nono:

At least $1000 worth hand tools/air tools
AMSOIL diesel/gasoline fuel additives/bar lube/Fluid Film/grease gun/brake & parts cleaner/lots of shop rags in bags/ nitrile hand gloves :clapping:
chains/ clevis hooks/ 3 25'vertical lift straps 13,500lbs
small handle shovel
jumper cables
extra blades for mowers
extra weedeater heads/edger heads
winter overalls
25ton bottle jack
way too many tie down straps:dizzy:
extra chainsaw chains/extra bar
extra filters/sparkplugs/for handhelds
spare bolt/nut/washer kit

Oh, sure. You wax your tools but not your mowers:laugh::laugh: Just kidding. Happy new years buddy!

CrystalCreek
01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm the same way...perfectly organized. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth...like you said it takes forever just to pack it back up. But at least you have everything you need.

Yeah, I'm a dork when it comes to tools. Not only do I have a complete set of everythig in the rig, but I also have a complete set in the garage, shed, and the basement. I HATE walking halfway around the house for a screwdriver.

On a side note, it is nice to know that I can fix the tow trucks when they break down:laugh::laugh: